Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Xofpod wrote: »
    Folks, I'm doing the Berger Diabetes Education programme shortly and I put together a very short information note for my employer for the time off. I've attached it here in case it's of any use to anyone.

I'm sure many of you have done the course already but I'll follow up in a couple of weeks with my thoughts in case anyone's on the fence

Great spiel.
    As a matter of interest, do you normally have to justify time off like this? Normally I just say I have a hospital appointment, and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CramCycle wrote: »
    Great spiel.
    As a matter of interest, do you normally have to justify time off like this? Normally I just say I have a hospital appointment, and that's it.

It's three days in a row so definitely need to justify it here. They're good about it but the case still needs to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Does it just take one fasting glucose prick test to determine if you have diabetes? Or several times? Likewise, if somebody got a normal reading does that mean they definitely do not have diabetes or could their blood sugar have just been temporarily down at that time, and at diabetic levels other times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

wakka12 wrote:
    Does it just take one fasting glucose prick test to determine if you have diabetes? Or several times? Likewise, if somebody got a normal reading does that mean they definitely do not have diabetes or could their blood sugar have just been temporarily down at that time, and at diabetic levels other times?
    One abnormal fasting glucose result can indicate the presence of diabtes or impaired glucose tolerance.

A glucose tolerance test and/or a HbA1c measurement on 2 separate days would confirm diagnosis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wakka12 wrote: »

Am I remembering correctly but did I read on another thread awhile back that you had experienced a tinkling feeling in your legs?.

If that's the case and you done a fasted prick test which showed elevated blood sugars my advice is to get off down to your doctor for a proper test without delay.

What was your fasted reading?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Unfortunately high sugar readings are the result of years of developing insulin resistance and pre diabetes. You can generally find a chemist that will give you a free monitor which may come with 10 test strips, its worth shelling out ~30 euros to get a batch of 50 . Your morning fasted number is one thing to check , then you can check an hour or 2 after your meals which will give a reasonable idea of whats happening. If you wanted to tweak your diet , I came across an interesting way of testing different foods, pick particular foods and eat 50 grams of carbs worth of that food ideally in the morning and keep everything else identical, people sometimes tolerate foods differently.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dont bother with the test strips go to your doctor and get a HbA1c done.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Dont bother with the test strips go to your doctor and get a HbA1c done.

Exactly. You will get peace of mind and an answer. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 navono

Hi all I am just wondering if there is a way to access a private diabetic clinic in North Dublin. I go to a public clinic at present but the visits are every year, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky, I would like my bloods and diabetes reviewed more frequently to manage my health. I contacted the secretary of my current consultany and asked could I go private and she told me no. I'm really at a loss here, can someone offer any advice, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Xofpod

navono wrote: »
    Hi all I am just wondering if there is a way to access a private diabetic clinic in North Dublin. I go to a public clinic at present but the visits are every year, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky, I would like my bloods and diabetes reviewed more frequently to manage my health. I contacted the secretary of my current consultany and asked could I go private and she told me no. I'm really at a loss here, can someone offer any advice, many thanks

There should be no problem with going to a private consultant in parallel with your public clinic if that's what you want and are happy to pay for. Your GP should be able to recommend some and make a referral.
    One that I'm aware of directly is Dr. Margaret Griffin, an endocrinologist who works out of both the Beacon and Bon Secours. The number for her office is 087 7531061 - they'll be able to tell you if you need a referral, or what the exact process is.

• Advertisement

I use Diabetes Ireland in Northwood for I have my eyes and feet checked every quarter. My bloods are done annually of my doctor.

Xofpod wrote: »
    There should be no problem with going to a private consultant in parallel with your public clinic if that's what you want and are happy to pay for. Your GP should be able to recommend some and make a referral.
    One that I'm aware of directly is Dr. Margaret Griffin, an endocrinologist who works out of both the Beacon and Bon Secours. The number for her office is 087 7531061 - they'll be able to tell you if you need a referral, or what the exact process is.

Thanks a million, trying to try for a baby so anxious to get good care

I use Diabetes Ireland in Northwood for I have my eyes and feet checked every quarter. My bloods are done annually of my doctor.

Thanks a mill, ye I get the retinopathy scan too. I just feel once a year isn't enough for me. I think bloods need to be done every 3months for a clear picture. You must have great control I need a bit more supervision and monitoring. Thanks

Thanks a mill, ye I get the retinopathy scan too. I just feel once a year isn't enough for me. I think bloods need to be done every 3months for a clear picture. You must have great control I need a bit more supervision and monitoring. Thanks

Hey, just seen in a previous post that you're T1. I've little to no idea about T1, sorry.

I can only imagine how stressful it is managing that all the time. I'm lucky in so far as I've always been active, training sports, competing Judo at a national level, I run, cycle and swim.

Diagnosed early 2018 (aged 52), I immediately followed the advice on low carbs, high protein & fats and I'm fairly strict with my diet. I try to keep really tight control of my bloods and freak if I can't explain high readings.

Best of luck, hope the new year is good for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Far too many things about to go potentially ***** at the moment, trying not to get to stressed about it but it seems to be a bit of a perfect storm of brown stuff about to hit the fan.

My pump company announced a while ago that they are ceasing operations and getting out of the business. :(
    I'm not due for a replacement pump until the end of this year. :(
    The pump company has stopped supplying the consumables online. :(
    Yesterday I got a letter from the hospital that the pump company wants to buy their way out of their warranty obligations early. :(
    The hospital has placed a restriction on ordering pump supplies to only three months at a time whilst they figure out what to do for people that are not yet due a replacement pump. :(
    In three months time the supply of EVERYTHING is in serious question due to Brexit and despite claims of "it will be fine" nobody really knows. (I'm currently living in the wrong country). :(

They have just given me a prescription for FIASP to try in the pump though which is good. :)
    I might be able to get the Libre on prescription in April, but they don't yet really know the prescribing criteria. :)
    They were making positive sounds today that there may be a choice of pumps other than just Medtronic, but they don't yet know if the Tandem one will be approved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Hey, just seen in a previous post that you're T1. I've little to no idea about T1, sorry.

I can only imagine how stressful it is managing that all the time. I'm lucky in so far as I've always been active, training sports, competing Judo at a national level, I run, cycle and swim.

Diagnosed early 2018 (aged 52), I immediately followed the advice on low carbs, high protein & fats and I'm fairly strict with my diet. I try to keep really tight control of my bloods and freak if I can't explain high readings.

Best of luck, hope the new year is good for you.

Hi, Very similar situation myself, except the Judo:) Early 50s, loads of carbs in my diet for years, Doctors visit last may showed 7.2 Blood sugars, went on low carb high fat and lost 16lbs feel much better all round. Going back to GP in March, hoping blood sugars are at least mid 6ish. Carbs and sugars are poison to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

robinph wrote: »
    Far too many things about to go potentially ***** at the moment, trying not to get to stressed about it but it seems to be a bit of a perfect storm of brown stuff about to hit the fan.

My pump company announced a while ago that they are ceasing operations and getting out of the business. :(
    I'm not due for a replacement pump until the end of this year. :(
    The pump company has stopped supplying the consumables online. :(
    Yesterday I got a letter from the hospital that the pump company wants to buy their way out of their warranty obligations early. :(
    The hospital has placed a restriction on ordering pump supplies to only three months at a time whilst they figure out what to do for people that are not yet due a replacement pump. :(
    In three months time the supply of EVERYTHING is in serious question due to Brexit and despite claims of "it will be fine" nobody really knows. (I'm currently living in the wrong country). :(

They have just given me a prescription for FIASP to try in the pump though which is good. :)
    I might be able to get the Libre on prescription in April, but they don't yet really know the prescribing criteria. :)
    They were making positive sounds today that there may be a choice of pumps other than just Medtronic, but they don't yet know if the Tandem one will be approved. :)
    :eek:
    I was thinking of starting building up a month or 6 weeks supply in case of difficulties with supplies after Brexit., I must get cracking with that now.

I'm not due to get my pump replaced till next year over here and Medtronic seems to be the pump of choice when Animas cease support later this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:eek:
    I was thinking of starting building up a month or 6 weeks supply in case of difficulties with supplies after Brexit., I must get cracking with that now.

I'm not due to get my pump replaced till next year over here and Medtronic seems to be the pump of choice when Animas cease support later this year.

My attempts to do that resulted in them blocking me from their website, which is now closed anyway, and then refusing to give me any supplies over the phone as I'd ordered stuff too recently. I'm now down to my last box of canulas though so best get back onto them, it's just more than a bit annoying that they will only now give three months supply which lands me right in the middle of the upcoming storm. :mad:

not yet wrote: »
    Hi, Very similar situation myself, except the Judo:) Early 50s, loads of carbs in my diet for years, Doctors visit last may showed 7.2 Blood sugars, went on low carb high fat and lost 16lbs feel much better all round. Going back to GP in March, hoping blood sugars are at least mid 6ish. Carbs and sugars are poison to me.

I made a mistake in my last post, my diagnoses was 2017.

Did you get a meter?.

At first I was told I didn't need a meter and that I should just follow dietary advice and come back for another HBA1C test a few months later.

I wasn't having that and pushed for a meter, got one and without it I don't know how I'd have controlled things. If you didn't get one, get one. They're great for watching your progress and how different foods and exercise influence where your blood sugars are.

Dropping the carbs and weight should show a reduction.

Best of luck in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,112 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone going to read Dr. Eva's book on reversing?

• Advertisement

I made a mistake in my last post, my diagnoses was 2017.

Did you get a meter?.

At first I was told I didn't need a meter and that I should just follow dietary advice and come back for another HBA1C test a few months later.

I wasn't having that and pushed for a meter, got one and without it I don't know how I'd have controlled things. If you didn't get one, get one. They're great for watching your progress and how different foods and exercise influence where your blood sugars are.

Dropping the carbs and weight should show a reduction.

Best of luck in March.

Cheers,

I've had high readings mid 6s for the past 10-12 years, had GTT a couple of times and came out fine, kind of threw me when the +7 came back. Only thing I can think of is I'm not as active as I would have been in my 40s.

My dad is Diabetic so used his monitor a few time and keep getting low 6s, once or twice mid 5s. Without a doubt my energy levels have increased 10 fold since cutting carbs and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Whatever about energy levels and weight gain. but studies have shown theres no direct link between carb/sugar intake and diabetes right? Just an indirect link, because obesity increases chances of getting diabetes and a person is more likely to be obese if they eat a lot of carbs and sugar

Im sure its no harm laying off them either way, definitely couldnt hurt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone going to read Dr. Eva's book on reversing?

No, I can't stand her.

I seen her promote it when she brought it out. It was the same time I was going through tests for diabetes, using her usual scare tactics she put the absolute sh*ts up me.

I brought me concerns to my doc, first thing he asked was had I seen Doc Eva promote her book. The smirk on his face told me he knew the answer.

One thing I found at that time is there's a multi million/billion industry out there trying to push cures and ways to reverse diabetes. I wasn't giving her a single cent.

There's enough information for T2's and pre-diabetes free online that there's no need for us to get ripped a new one.

I kept it simple, high protein, moderate fats, no sugars and kept root veg to a minimum (but I love spuds with lots of butter and salt, so I treat myself once a week).

Although I was active I started to take an interest in running, starting with a C25k app (a brilliant way of getting fit) then that led me to parkrun.ie

All told inside a year I lost almost 6 stone and have mostly kept it off, my last two HBA1C tests have been normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

not yet wrote: »

a-high-carb-diet-may-explain-why-okinawans-live-so-long

No, I can't stand her.

I seen her promote it when she brought it out. It was the same time I was going through tests for diabetes, using her usual scare tactics she put the absolute sh*ts up me.

I brought me concerns to my doc, first thing he asked was had I seen Doc Eva promote her book. The smirk on his face told me he knew the answer.

One thing I found at that time is there's a multi million/billion industry out there trying to push cures and ways to reverse diabetes. I wasn't giving her a single cent.

There's enough information for T2's and pre-diabetes free online that there's no need for us to get ripped a new one.

I kept it simple, high protein, moderate fats, no sugars and kept root veg to a minimum (but I love spuds with lots of butter and salt, so I treat myself once a week).

Although I was active I started to take an interest in running, starting with a C25k app (a brilliant way of getting fit) then that led me to parkrun.ie

All told inside a year I lost almost 6 stone and have mostly kept it off, my last two HBA1C tests have been normal.
    What were you doing up at 20 stone for so long? Whats with the root veg restriction?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen one endocrinologist in Dublin has had 4 patients hospitalised from following advice in her book.

As for the carbs and sugar debate above. I actively try low carb because then I am on low insulin which leads to weight loss or stability. Sugar on the other hand is a different kettle of fish. I don't think a high carb diet, in many ways would do any damage for many people, it's the high sugar ones or the unbalanced ones that do the damage

never heard of her, the magic bullet for me was introducing fasting with low carb. started seeing "4" readings when I combined the 2, much better than just low carbing on its own

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

vargoo wrote: »
    What were you doing up at 20 stone for so long? Whats with the root veg restriction?

I don't hide behind an indentity too much here, but I'd have to give away way too much information to explain the weight.

Basically I was competing Judo at a national & international level in the +100kg weight category. Now I knew for a few years I was also carrying fat, most of us who carry fat know it and find reason to excuse it.

I was competing and doing well at +100, and that weight suited me. If you go too close to the +100 you get very light in a weight category with no upper weight restriction (see how the excuses work :) ).

I was was also passing my work annual physical fitness tests.

I was aware of diabetes since my father is T2 since his 50's (now insulin dependent) and as I was approaching that age I was getting concerned about a diagnoses too.

So there's why I stayed heavy.

Early 2017, blood test showed fasting levels were high.. More tests followed, nutritional advice, diabetic clinic appoints (can't remember which came first) although I could run I hated running so I was advised to start from the beginning and download a C25k app (this was a life changer).

As I ran (and at this time I was already cycling upwards of 40km a day and throwing in the odd sportive when I could) and as my carbs dropped my morning levels were dropping into the mid 4's to mid 5's and even if I had a high reading and went out for a gentle jog I could almost bet on it that I'd have a low 5 reading after it.

So I kept the running up, still cycling (I love cycling). But got rid of my road bike in favor of a hybrid with a rack and panniers so now I shop on my bicycle :)

Root veg, higher sugars ~ that's the simple answer.

I have to give credit to this forum too, it was a great help. Some users PM'd me with lots of great advice and reassurance which I'm still very grateful for.

Another massive positive life changing activity for me was finding parkrun

(www.parkrun.ie)

parkrun has had such a positive influence on my life in so many ways, there's a mega thead HERE

Basically its a free timed 5km route, you can run, jog, slog, walk, walk your dog or push a pram.. Its very friendly, inclusive and NOT a race so there's never any more pressure on you than you put on yourself.

Everything is free, you pay for nothing. You're simply asked to show up, move forwards at any speed for 5km, show your barcode at the end (which you have emailed to you on registration) and you get an email later that day with your run time, position, age grade etc etc. Its wonderful and I'd encourage anyone to get involved.

Right that's been long winded enough.

tl/dr ~ I fought at +100kg & root veg = higher sugars

silverharp wrote: »
    never heard of her, the magic bullet for me was introducing fasting with low carb. started seeing "4" readings when I combined the 2, much better than just low carbing on its own

I've wondered how that works, the fasting I mean.

I've very active so I'm like a furnace, if I'm not eating every 2-3 hours then I feel like I'm going to die of hunger.

Even my butcher is amazed at how much I'm buying daily, and my daughter who's a chef is also flabbergasted when I say I'm starving so often lol

I've wondered how that works, the fasting I mean.

I've very active so I'm like a furnace, if I'm not eating every 2-3 hours then I feel like I'm going to die of hunger.

Even my butcher is amazed at how much I'm buying daily, and my daughter who's a chef is also flabbergasted when I say I'm starving so often lol

There are a few ways ive gone about it, either IF where I eat 8/16, down to OMAD , or one or more days of actual fasting and a third way which I have only done once and is meant to be done only a few times a year is a 5 day fat fast where I ate 2 avocados per day ~600Cal and the logic is not eating protein or carbs mimics an actual fast in terms of low insulin etc. I was trying to hit a weight target coming up to xmas so I did more fasting including multi day and I did feel my energy was dropping a little bit but on the back of commuting 25km per day by bike.
    This week Ive just started alternate day fasting which I will do for a month or two and see how it goes, Ive upped my exercise too since xmas by doing interval training and general strength training at the gym and so far this week feel great. Fasting feels like it increases my energy overall , the trick is to eat well on the feasting days.
    In my case I am totally happy with my blood sugars now, during the summer for instance my reading 2 hours after a low carb chicken salad was around 7, by Nov I was getting 5.5 for a similar low carb meal. The last niggle I have is that my BP is about 15 points over and as I’m 2 inches off the “50% rule” of waist to height that’s my new target and hopefully that will fix the BP.
    A lot of hunger is just a mental game, give it a new routine and you adapt to it, there are certainly a lot of athletes out there doing time restricted eating and you might enjoy the idea of sitting down to a large single meal and not have the fuss of planning out 3 meals in a day. If you think about it in human development terms eating every 3 hours is not natural, getting hungry in nature meant its time to hunt not time to eat.

• Advertisement

I don't hide behind an indentity too much here, but I'd have to give away way too much information to explain the weight.

Basically I was competing Judo at a national & international level in the +100kg weight category. Now I knew for a few years I was also carrying fat, most of us who carry fat know it and find reason to excuse it.

I was competing and doing well at +100, and that weight suited me. If you go too close to the +100 you get very light in a weight category with no upper weight restriction (see how the excuses work :) ).

I was was also passing my work annual physical fitness tests.

I was aware of diabetes since my father is T2 since his 50's (now insulin dependent) and as I was approaching that age I was getting concerned about a diagnoses too.

So there's why I stayed heavy.

Early 2017, blood test showed fasting levels were high.. More tests followed, nutritional advice, diabetic clinic appoints (can't remember which came first) although I could run I hated running so I was advised to start from the beginning and download a C25k app (this was a life changer).

As I ran (and at this time I was already cycling upwards of 40km a day and throwing in the odd sportive when I could) and as my carbs dropped my morning levels were dropping into the mid 4's to mid 5's and even if I had a high reading and went out for a gentle jog I could almost bet on it that I'd have a low 5 reading after it.

So I kept the running up, still cycling (I love cycling). But got rid of my road bike in favor of a hybrid with a rack and panniers so now I shop on my bicycle :)

Root veg, higher sugars ~ that's the simple answer.

I have to give credit to this forum too, it was a great help. Some users PM'd me with lots of great advice and reassurance which I'm still very grateful for.

Another massive positive life changing activity for me was finding parkrun

(www.parkrun.ie)

parkrun has had such a positive influence on my life in so many ways, there's a mega thead HERE

Basically its a free timed 5km route, you can run, jog, slog, walk, walk your dog or push a pram.. Its very friendly, inclusive and NOT a race so there's never any more pressure on you than you put on yourself.

Everything is free, you pay for nothing. You're simply asked to show up, move forwards at any speed for 5km, show your barcode at the end (which you have emailed to you on registration) and you get an email later that day with your run time, position, age grade etc etc. Its wonderful and I'd encourage anyone to get involved.

Right that's been long winded enough.

tl/dr ~ I fought at +100kg & root veg = higher sugars

Are you my brother ? apart from the judo..

Advertisement