Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes in your saddlebag?

Options
13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Tá cruth laidir ar do chuid gaeilge, a Chram. Seans go raibh sí fágtha sa bhothán le fada an lá. Beagán degreaser agus braon ola agus bheadh sí reidh don bhóthar. Coinnigh ort.

The Irish just stemmed from my saying 'cad é sin' to rp's mention of a 'flickset'. rp, fair play to him, told me it was a "trealamh bonn briste" - lietrally a "broken tyre kit" but a damn good effort and I knew exactly what he meant (I would have struggled to put Irish on it - focal.ie gives "fearas deisithe poill" but I would say a native speaker would look at you sideways if you said that to him). I just thanked him and said I hadn't heard the term "flickset" before.

I suspect I'm breaking the euro rules in some way.

Yeah, I was bluffing. If I wasn't so lazy I'd have looked for the word in the Third Policeman, or something else by Flann O'Brien, I'm sure he'd of used it somewhere.
    Flickset from German Flicksatz, so, totally Euro.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

CramCycle wrote: »
    Where did you get the trailer? Is it good quality, tempted to make one for my old beater bike
    It's a very good quality one - Swiss: Leggero Classico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Raam wrote: »
    Does anyone ever cycle without a spare tube? What a fúcking rush!

I had a blow out a while back which resulted in the tube being shredded to bits. Doubt I could have mended it tbh! Wouldn't dream of going for a spin without a spare tube!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I had a blow out a while back which resulted in the tube being shredded to bits. Doubt I could have mended it tbh! Wouldn't dream of going for a spin without a spare tube!

I'll bet you won't carry a cup of tea around without a saucer either. Live dangerously, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

I was reading this thread smiling to myself, then I realised I've been cycling the past few weeks without my pump with me! The saddle bag is loaded with everything a cyclist could possibly need and I haven't been carrying a goddam pump, just lol'd myself!

• Advertisement

I'll bet you won't carry a cup of tea around without a saucer either.

How did you know?

:p

I haven't been carrying a goddam pump, just lol'd myself!

I did the same thing once only it was tyre levers I'd forgot :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Does anyone ever cycle without a spare tube? What a fúcking rush!

I alternate between a road bike and MTB for my commute but for a few days I forgot to swap the spare tube I was carrying with me. Not so much a rebel then, more a bit doddery really. I'm not sure that forcing an MTB tube into a 700c tyre, or a 700c tube into an MTB tyre, if I had punctured would have tilted my credibility balance in favour of cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I only started using a saddle bag in the last year, and it was really only motivated by the fact that my current wardrobe of cycling kit includes some fairly light jerseys for the summer. These jerseys don't cope as well with the stuff I carry with me and invariably the weight in the pockets dragged the jersey to one side or the other, which is really annoying on the bike (and dodgy too when the whole lot shifts suddenly when you hit a bump on a descent). I blame the warm weather - if I could wear my 4-pocket winter jacket all year round the problem wouldn't arise. Curse you sun!

I carry my pump on the frame - any pump that is so short that it fits within the confines of a jersey pocket is all too often an absolute pig to use, and I've seen more than one slightly longer pump fall out of a rider's pocket before. I carry 2x spare tubes, self-adhesive patches, tyre levers, tyre boot, and multitool in my saddle bag. Anything more than that would require a bigger bag than I am willing to carry. Everything else goes in my pockets, and that includes my phone as I want to have that with me if I ever get separated from my saddle bag (plus I want to be able to use/answer it without have to muck about with saddle bag).

In all the years that I've carried everything in my pockets I've never fallen and landed on the stuff I was carrying. Having said that, I always pack my pockets so that nothing bulky or sharp is against my spine (the centre pocket is for my rolled up rain jacket or tubes), and I pack softer things between me and things like my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

unionman wrote: »
    And a couple of Nurofen* during the W200.

Why so?

• Advertisement
Advertisement