Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk and Dairy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    But it hasnt yet so lets wait and see how
    this plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Type 1 diabetes can also be managed with a high carb low fat whole foods plant based diet ( check out the mastering diabetes group).

I check into this forum every so often. I’ve been vegan for years. I’m also a doctor.

Type 1 diabetes cannot be managed like this! Type 1 diabetics cannot manufacture their own insulin. They require insulin or they will go into diabetic ketoacidosis and die.

You’re thinking of Type 2 diabetes, which can sometimes (not always) be managed through diet. The diet you’ve described will help in cases of Type 2 diabetes though (certainly the low fat bit).

Please, please modify your post, or can the mods do so? I would be very concerned some diabetic teenager trying out veganism would see that kind of post and skip their insulin. Skipping insulin even once can land a type 1 diabetic in hospital very seriously ill.

There are synthetic insulins these days, by the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Snipped out discussion of that, the less discussion of how to treat something so deadly as that the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

So so cruel, awful, awful life for these poor creatures. I’m not vegan or vegetarian. I would like to consider it but it’s something I’ve grown up with, how do you cut real milk from your coffee? How do you deal with the loss of nutrition? Dairy and meat are such a substantial parts of our diet and it’s in everything. It’s very hard to remove....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

auspicious wrote: »
    Hardly. I think you're looking through the narrow side of the lens.
    The product appeals to me no longer as I have a full understanding of the 'production line'. It's gross because the mothers and calves experience great distress and suffer so we can enjoy some nutrients in a glass.

Adding to the negative health aspects; milk causes calcium deficiency and provides a good dose of estrogen to adult humans, which is particularly immasculating for men who drink dairy milk, more seriously it can lead to increased risk of breast cancer in women. Marketing campaigns from the dairy industry do their best to hide these facts.

• Advertisement

Adding to the negative health aspects; milk causes calcium deficiency and provides a good dose of estrogen to adult humans, which is particularly immasculating for men who drink dairy milk, more seriously it cam lead to increased risk of breast cancer in women.

Calcium deficient and less manly men drink dairy. Marketing campaigns from the dairy industry do their best to hide these facts.

Are you sure could you share a link so we can all read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

So so cruel, awful, awful life for these poor creatures. I’m not vegan or vegetarian. I would like to consider it but it’s something I’ve grown up with, how do you cut real milk from your coffee? How do you deal with the loss of nutrition? Dairy and meat are such a substantial parts of our diet and it’s in everything. It’s very hard to remove....

I too have grown up with it. So too have the majority, almost ALL of vegans. The information is there! There comes a time when you have to take a stance which makes you feel more comfortable and in line with your moral ethics and there is no easier time to do this than today with the wealth of information available on the web.
    If there wasn't such a hunger for this more caring outlook we wouldn't have the huge economic market and mass movement we now see.
    All you need to do is join Challenge 22 and begin to incorporate the easy to follow plant based meals in to your week and help rid ourselves of the indifferent exploitation of these suffering creatures.
    Humans thrive through adaptation. You just need to make the first step. For some that first step is switching out cow milk for (unsweetened) soy milk in your coffee.

Here's the Challenge 22 link
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://challenge22.com/&ved=2ahUKEwimpI6sys3oAhXEShUIHTkTCUwQFjAAegQIBxAD&usg=AOvVaw2lq5IqLH7gE8gsvtwkYwFz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It really isn't. There are thousands of farmers around Ireland who would be more than willing to share what they do on a daily basis with you, along with thousands of videos etc on twitter. There's no such thing as a silly question either, it's better to go to the source for facts than read misinformation online & take it as absolute truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

It really isn't. There are thousands of farmers around Ireland who would be more than willing to share what they do on a daily basis with you, along with thousands of videos etc on twitter. There's no such thing as a silly question either, it's better to go to the source for facts than read misinformation online & take it as absolute truth.

Can you point me towards some videos?

Can you point me towards some videos?

Sure, I'll send you a message in a wee while when I'm at the laptop. Easier to link off that than the phone.

• Advertisement

Will she see the videos of forceful impregnation of cows? What does a cow saying NO! sound like?
    How about cows stunned and with a slit throat hanging upside down who happen to be pregnant while the calf visibly struggles inside her due to anoxia?
    Will she see the videos of mother cows pining for the few days old calf which are stolen away from her?
    Will she see the vulnerable calves transported huge distances in hard cold trailors often left hungry and thirsty?

Will she see the videos of forceful impregnation of cows? What does a cow saying NO! sound like?
    How about cows stunned and with a slit throat hanging upside down who happen to be pregnant while the calf visibly struggles inside her due to anoxia?
    Will she see the videos of mother cows pining for the few days old calf which are stolen away from her?
    Will she see the vulnerable calves transported huge distances in hard cold trailors often left hungry and thirsty?

No but can someone share videos of puppies and kittens taken as pets from their mothers. Not sure about the distance but those trailers are bedded with straw which is rather comfortable to be fair. No cow is killed by slitting the throat in the EU unless it's for religious reason.

Gary kk wrote: »
    Are you sure could you share a link so we can all read it.

Treasure trove and highly recommended source for purely science based analysis of food with no vested interest;
    https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/

Specific links in respect of estrogen consumption and the impacts on men; the link to weaker bones generally and link to increased risk of breast cancer in women;

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-estrogen-and-male-fertility/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-milk-good-for-our-bones/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-hormones-in-dairy-milk-on-cancer/

Look from an independent source not someone trying to sell me a book on vegan recipes.

Come on like.

You do know a bull doesn't ask a cow before he jumps on her either (insert any other male animal of choice (stag, dog etc) A.I is safer & smaller bulls can be chosen so a smaller cow won't be in trouble trying to have a big calf. But oh dear, that's sensible isn't it. Can't have that.
    Cows should not be slaughtered pregnant imo, but sometimes the choice is forced upon farmers if the cow goes down with TB.
    Cows & sheep will form a bond if allowed, yes. Some will also attack the calf or lie on it. How loving.
    There are good & bad transporters. Vegans are hardly going to show videos of the ones which actually treat calves correctly. That wouldn't fit in with their agenda now, would it.

Look from an independent source not someone trying to sell me a book on vegan recipes.

Come on like.

Right. Every video has links to studies. An easy to follow source of information for your little brain was the purpose of providing that website link. Bury your head in the sand if you want but dairy drinking men have poor bones and poor fertility. Not very manly.

Right. Every video has links to studies. An easy to follow source of information for your little brain was the purpose of providing that website link. Bury your head in the sand if you want but dairy drinking men have poor bones and poor fertility. Not very manly.

Just because a man is infertile dosnt make him less manly like what the feck those manly even mean. You sir are an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Your posts are quite immature

No.

And why is that do you think? Because these abhorrent practices do the opposite of promoting the industry. They show the full scale of the industrial process of sentient individuals.
    We can't have that can we? No. Better just show the 'stock' skipping in the fields and being patted on the head by the gentle farmer.
    but can someone share videos of puppies and kittens taken as pets from their mothers.

They shouldn't until they are weaned. It is now illegal since the 1st February when new legislation introduced prohibits the sale of pups under 8 weeks of age.
    Puppy farms are illegal.
    The indifference to domesticated cats is huge as are resultant feral populations.

Cows should not be slaughtered pregnant imo, but sometimes the choice is forced upon farmers if the cow goes down with TB.

Remember this stat?
    On average 3pc of dairy cows, 1.5pc of beef cattle, 0.5pc of pigs, 0.8pc sheep and 0.2pc of goats in the EU are slaughtered during the
    last third of gestation , according to an expert judgement from the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/experts-say-3pc-of-dairy-cows-are-slaughtered-while-heavily-pregnant-35802390.html

Of the slaughtered cows, 23.5 per cent were pregnant and 26.9 per cent of these were in the third trimester. The three main reasons for culling were infertility (28.2 per cent), mastitis (21.8 per cent) and old age (15.8 per cent). In 50.9 per cent of cases the farmer thought that the cow was not pregnant. In 66 per cent of the returns the cow had run with a bull. The average age of the slaughtered cows was 7.9 years. The records were categorised as 'OK' when they were consistent with the stage of pregnancy found post mortem, as 'error' when there were slight inconsistencies and 'gross error' when there were more serious discrepancies.

https://veterinaryrecord.bmj.com/content/136/7/162

• Advertisement

Remember this stat?
    On average 3pc of dairy cows, 1.5pc of beef cattle, 0.5pc of pigs, 0.8pc sheep and 0.2pc of goats in the EU are slaughtered during the last third of gestation, according to an expert judgement from the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/experts-say-3pc-of-dairy-cows-are-slaughtered-while-heavily-pregnant-35802390.html

I do, and I don't believe I ever said I agreed with it. You seem to have just skimmed over the part where i mention TB positive cattle have to be slaughtered regardless of being incalf or not which would add to any figures.

Here's the thread if you want to read it again. We don't get paid for it & to my knowledge, farmers aren't told if the fetal serum is taken from cows or not. So make of that what you will- https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058029929

And why is that do you think? Because these abhorrent practices do the opposite of promoting the industry. They show the full scale of the industrial process of sentient individuals.
    We can't have that can we? No. Better just show the 'stock' skipping in the fields and being patted on the head by the gentle farmer.

They shouldn't until they are weaned. It is now illegal since the 1st February when new legislation introduced prohibits the sale of pups under 8 weeks of age.
    Puppy farms are illegal.
    The indifference to domesticated cats is huge as are resultant feral populations.

Ah you dont pat them on head, you scratch behind their ears. Pat them on the head tut tut never heard of the likes.

Because the bound is less at 8 weeks?

I do, and I don't believe I ever said I agreed with it. [/url]

It persists because people consume dairy. It's not spoken about and the consumer is definitely not told about it. They just see the neat packaging with the pretty ribbon.
    Who cares if you agree or not? It's about the animals and their world experience. They have to suffer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Remember lads & ladies.....there’s nothing cruel about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/almost-30000-male-calves-slaughtered-at-10-days-old-last-year-968607.html

It persists because people consume dairy. It's not spoken about and the consumer is definitely not told about it. They just see the neat packaging with the pretty ribbon.
    Who cares if you agree or not? It's about the animals and their world experience. They have to suffer it.

I was giving my opinion on it. Am I not even allowed to do that here?
    As I stated in that thread, it's not just dairy. So why do you persist in claiming that it's there because people consume dairy.

I was giving my opinion on it. Am I not even allowed to do that here?
    As I stated in that thread, it's not just dairy. So why do you persist in claiming that it's there because people consume dairy.

Dairy is the most ubiquitous product stemming from agricultural animal exploitation.

Tilikum17 wrote: »

I cant defend that and I wont defend that. I look after all my calves and it would be a cold day in hell before i would do that.

Treasure trove and highly recommended source for purely science based analysis of food with no vested interest;
    https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/

Specific links in respect of estrogen consumption and the impacts on men; the link to weaker bones generally and link to increased risk of breast cancer in women;

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dairy-estrogen-and-male-fertility/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-milk-good-for-our-bones/

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effects-of-hormones-in-dairy-milk-on-cancer/

If you are going to edit a post so much a least leave a note at the end to say it was edited

If you are going to edit a post so much a least leave a note at the end to say it was edited

The Dr Greger who seems to run that website is the author of several books promoting strict veganism. Funny that. Must be total coincidence.

• Advertisement

The Dr Greger who seems to run that website is the author of several books promoting strict veganism. Funny that. Must be total coincidence.

But its not vested ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement