Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who is going to be a smug bastard when petrol goes over €1.50?

Options
  • 26-02-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Well,

With all the fun and games kicking off in the middle east, the fact that the country is fooked and petrol is likely to get another few cent added on in the next budget or even before if some looney government gets in, there is reports that fuel is being rationed in Dublin Port Today, its not inconcievable that petrol will reach €1.50+ very soon.

This IMO will make many people both commuters and taxi Drivers, some of which are the usual anti cyclist looney bin characters what you see on this site, look to alternative means of Transport.
    Add in C2W being one of the few savings these days, cycling could be welcoming a few new recruits.

Wonder how Tim Allen will look in a pair of lycra shorts and a nice Cervelo between his legs (small frame of course)

What do you all think of this? Personally I cant wait!
    :pac:

Plus we havnt had a decent "friday thread" in a good while :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Food prices are on the up too.

BestLowest €/kJ foodstuff anyone? Vegetable oil perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

It is already over €1.50, infact €1.509 at Tesco clearwater this evening.

Prius drivers are going to be laughing and smugs cyclists like you are going to be laughing, you obviously live close enough to commute....I don't, I am a cyclist, even done a world tour. But hey thanks for your good wishes, see you on the road some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Oil prices go up, public transport costs go up, cargo prices go up, food prices go up, everyone affected, no-one feeling smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Yup everything I need is no more than 15 miles away. I do own a car and pay road tax (motor tax if your ignorant) too. However my car is only for the lazy days.
    I can tell ya one thing , I cant afford a car anymore! God bless Bikes!

Id imagine the Lowest Priced €/KJ would be maybe a big mac rolled in sugar perhaps? Or cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

In reply to the thread title i think this mod by his own admission is numero uno!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70636720&postcount=33

• Advertisement

Oil prices go up, public transport costs go up, cargo prices go up, food prices go up, everyone affected, no-one feeling smug.

Well not from that POV , but from the fact so many of these pricks who gave me so much **** from the comfort of their cars, are now taking it right up the ass, so much so, that I wouldnt be suprised if they are even a lil envious of cyclists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I just started to drive :mad:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Cycle almost all my commutes but my car is a 2L turbo V70 which drinks petrol like there's no tomorrow. Getting very close to €100 to fill the tank these days :(

RobFowl wrote: »
    Cycle almost all my commutes but my car is a 2L turbo V70 which drinks petrol like there's no tomorrow. Getting very close to €100 to fill the tank these days :(

At least its a nice place to be while it burns all that money :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

kona wrote: »
    At least its a nice place to be while it burns all that money :)

Tis :)
    Was giving a mate a lift home from a club race once (where it'd poured rain all night) when I asked him if he likd the heated leather seats..
    "Heated seats ! Thank God, I'd though I'd p*ssed myself" was the reply

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Tis :)
    Was giving a mate a lift home from a club race once (where it'd poured rain all night) when I asked him if he likd the heated leather seats..
    "Heated seats ! Thank God, I'd though I'd p*ssed myself" was the reply

Yea I did the same! haha, Very strange feeling if ya aint expecting it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

I just started to drive :mad:

Is the Election results in already?
    you seem sure the greens will not have a seat in Govt!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

650Ginge wrote: »
    It is already over €1.50, infact €1.509 at Tesco clearwater this evening.

Prius drivers are going to be laughing and smugs cyclists like you are going to be laughing, you obviously live close enough to commute....I don't, I am a cyclist, even done a world tour. But hey thanks for your good wishes, see you on the road some time.

And their staff cannot get C2W scheme with these lot an they dont give staff discount on Fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I'm glad I downsized my 06 1.6 Skoda Octavia for an 08 1.2 Grande Punto in Dec, uses less petrol for the same mileage I was doing in the Octavia, and my car tax came down from €445 to €156. I made the change purely for economical reasons, having been made redundant......the only downside is, I had to buy a rear bike carrier for when the sportive season comes around, the bike used to fit nicely in the boot of the Octavia:(, and I'm too lazy to take the wheels off for transporting in the Punto:p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ireland imports 24 per cent of its oil from Libya. Given what's happening there at the moment, it stands to reason prices are going to go up. The Libyan situation won't last forever.

In terms of crude oil prices, we're still way off the peak of 2008.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My bosses garage owner drives an old diesel jeep, fills it with half/half vegetable oil with Kerosene. Works out around 0.70 a litre and it smells like a chipper all the time. Alot of people say its bad for the engine but he says once its an old diesel engine it should run fine.

I don't know though. Just his opinion.

On a similar note, it cost my boss 125euro to fill his car today, hardcore petrolhead, mentioned getting a bike today, times are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think that anyone who gains perverse pleasure at the thoughts of fuel prices rising needs to get their reality radar recalibrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

well said el tel.
    Will the smugness last when you need to replace your tyre/tube and given the reason for the massive price hike being high fuel prices.
    And remember the price of almost everything has a relation to oil/petroleum be it transport cost-manufacturing cost etc.
    It may put more people on bikes but they will only be cycling to the dole office as hard pressed business's wont be able to take another hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

taxi Drivers, some of which are the usual anti cyclist looney bin characters what you see on this site, look to alternative means of Transport.

This doesn't even make sense..... so put a hold on the smugness for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Well,

With all the fun and games kicking off in the middle east, the fact that the country is fooked and petrol is likely to get another few cent added on in the next budget or even before if some looney government gets in, there is reports that fuel is being rationed in Dublin Port Today, its not inconcievable that petrol will reach €1.50+ very soon.

This IMO will make many people both commuters and taxi Drivers, some of which are the usual anti cyclist looney bin characters what you see on this site, look to alternative means of Transport.
    Add in C2W being one of the few savings these days, cycling could be welcoming a few new recruits.

Wonder how Tim Allen will look in a pair of lycra shorts and a nice Cervelo between his legs (small frame of course)

Can't wait until you're relocated to anywhere outside your urban idyll where chaffing will wear the bollix out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

Well,

Wow that's a big smug cloud eminating from your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

I travel 160km a day for 15e.

No insurance. No tax. No NCT.

WiFi included.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Food prices are on the up too.

BestLowest €/kJ foodstuff anyone? Vegetable oil perhaps?

Possibly lard, certainly its the highest kJ/kg and its not all that expensive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

el tel wrote: »
    I think that anyone who gains perverse pleasure at the thoughts of fuel prices rising needs to get their reality radar recalibrated.
    I dunno, burning hydrocarbon fuels is very bad for Ireland, so anything that reduces it should give pleasure, and not perverse. Look, we have to import it, and that seriously messes with the balance of payments, burning it incurs carbon tax - more money leaving the country, not to mention the sight on a calm day (rare enough) as I ride into Dublin, of a horrible yellow stain over the city, and smell when I'm passing out the crawling traffic on the second half of my commute. Oh yeah, and how about all the foreign produce being hauled into the country from far off fields? Sounds like the system is self-correcting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Victor wrote: »
    Possibly lard, certainly its the highest kJ/kg and its not all that expensive.

Things like lard and chicken wings are only cheap because they're low demand byproducts of oil-fueled livestock farming. Oil is still cheap.

When the oil runs out and we're all starving and shivering in the dark, we'll be mostly veggie. Or cannibals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

rp wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and how about all the foreign produce being hauled into the country from far off fields? Sounds like the system is self-correcting.

Like bananas, oranges and a mulritude of other fruit and veg? I'd kinda like to keep them coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Like bananas, oranges and a mulritude of other fruit and veg? I'd kinda like to keep them coming in
    Banana importation has a relatively low carbon footprint:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/jul/01/carbon-footprint-banana

Don't know about the rest.

I can see that high fossil fuel prices might force our hand in making what is in the medium-to-long term a very necessary move away from total dependence on fossil fuel. But things could get very hairy indeed in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Most of us use a car to get to sportives too don't forget. Filling up my 100 litre tank isn't fun! Might have to start cycling to them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone want to buy a taxi?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Or a q7 with bike racks?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement