Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Will be
    Hersheys wrote: »
    No, there is no way to determine if that one vote would make a difference, but for those who couldn't be arsed to make an effort to vote I don't think they should have a right to complain about how the country is run

In one way I agree, but then again, if I vote for a party based on policy and ideology and they either change their stance or fail to do their job properly...am I then not allowed to complain because I'd voted for them?

I think everyone has the right to an opinion about how their country is run regardless of whether or not they voted, but I still don't think very highly of people who just can't be arsed to educate themselves even a little bit on the politics of their country to be able to have an informed say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In one way I agree, but then again, if I vote for a party based on policy and ideology and they either change their stance or fail to do their job properly...am I then not allowed to complain because I'd voted for them?

Especially with the prevalence of coalitions in Irish governments..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Will be

I think everyone has the right to an opinion about how their country is run regardless of whether or not they voted, but I still don't think very highly of people who just can't be arsed to educate themselves even a little bit on the politics of their country to be able to have an informed say.
    But you voted, you can have a say.

Its the ones who couldn't be bothered to vote that I've a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Will be
    Hersheys wrote: »
    But you voted, you can have a say.

Its the ones who couldn't be bothered to vote that I've a problem with.

Yeah, I understand, but if they'd have voted for parties other than the governing parties then it pretty much amounts to the same thing in the end.

I don't think the simple act of voting earns anyone any more respect than people who don't vote. Any idiot can go in and put numbers in a box, it doesn't mean they've made any more effort than that. Informed voting, however..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I didn't change address in time, and had a four hour round trip to vote but did so

I consider it a true duty of anyone in a democracy to exercise the right to vote it was hard fought for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Will be
    iguana wrote: »
    Which Ming? The one from Roscommon, Mongo or the Lib Dem from Scotland?

Eta: Thought Flanagan was from Galway as that's where he first ran.

He's from Castlerea.

Ya, I voted, have voted in every election since I was 18. I don't think I have the right to whinge about the government if I didn't vote. At least by voting I'm having my say, even if the person I voted for doesn't get in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Will be
    I voted and have done every available time since I was 18. I think it's especially important at this time as we are seeing the turmoil in Egypt, Libya and Bahrain. People are fighting and dying for their right to decide who they want to govern their country. All we had to do was turn up on the correct day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not arsed
    We need the Australian system.

$50 fine if you don't vote and theres no excuse as you can vote by post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I was disgusted when the date of the election was announced as I had a weeks holiday in the States booked snce last September....I always vote and was not happy that I couldnt this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Living abroad for a year so couldn't...I really think the postal vote needs to be brought in for things like this. Have voted every other time I've been eligible to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement