Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting

Options
  • 25-02-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

So ladies, have you voted? are you going to vote? are you able to but not arsed?

Just back from casting my ballot and was wondering how many of us are making the effort.

Edit: er I tried to put a poll with this but it didn't work, would the mods mind adding it please, with the options, have, will be, not arsed and can't not eligible. Thks.

Ladies, have you/will you vote? 64 votes

Have
    0%
    Will be
    81%
    Unknownneuro-praxisDas Kittymeekaaviendhapanda100iguanaLarianneBlush_01jellieIckle MagoocrosstownkviotarainbowtroutfatmammycatPigwidgeonMorgaseEve_DublinKonataMalari 52 votes
    Not arsed
    9%
    UnknownChinafootrainbow kirbySinemocdaly_stripysocks85 6 votes
    Can't/not eligible
    9%
    UnknownsnollupstupidusernameAoifey!lalee17hardcore 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Will be
    I voted at 7:10 this am...was a bit of a palaver since they failed to send us polling cards despite having the correct address but we got there in the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Will be
    I voted this morning, have always voted since I turned 18, it's a privilege that women have only had for a relatively short time, and there are still people around the world, men & women alike who don't have that privilege, so I'm not going to waste mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Will vote on my way home from work. Don't think I have ever not voted.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I voted this afternoon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Will be
    Just flew home from Spain this afternoon especially to vote (I wouldn't miss a chance to get those b-tards out of power) and I'm waiting for my sister to finish work so we can head down together. If this video doesn't get you off your backside and down to the voting stations to vote, then I don't know what would...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYTa81JdDfo&feature=player_embedded

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Super jealous of all you people who are able to vote! Stupid Ireland and it's stupid not allowing people abroad to vote :mad: Maybe I should have gone home and pretended that I was still resident in Ireland, but it would be electoral fraud. My Portuguese flatmate, in contrast, is able to vote via her embassy here.

I voted in the Lisbon Treaty first thing in the morning the day that I moved to London, I was there with my Dad when the polling station opened and then we drove to the ferry. This is the first time since I turned 18 that I haven't voted :( I will be keeping a close eye on the results though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Will be
    mariebeth wrote: »
    I voted this morning, have always voted since I turned 18, it's a privilege that women have only had for a relatively short time, and there are still people around the world, men & women alike who don't have that privilege, so I'm not going to waste mine.

Couldn't agree more. I really don't understand those who just don't bother. The usual retort that there's nobody worth voting for doesn't wash; if that's the case then one should spoil their vote because then you're at least turning out and making your views known.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not arsed
    Will be voting on the way home from work this evening. Was 8 days too young to vote in 2002, but have voted at every election of any sort that I've been eligible to vote at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Will be
    Haven't voted much over the last few years because I was abroad for a few of them or moving madly around the place and wasn't home to vote, but I voted today.

I know nothing about politics, nothing, well I know slightly more now than I used to but still not a lot, so I got my mom to sit down and explain it all to me last night :) She mainly said "Ok, do you want the guys that are there now to be back?", I said "Hell no" and we took it from there :p

I'm glad I voted because I can't stand when people who don't vote then give out about the government/country when they could have made a difference if they had bothered to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Will be
    Yep, voted this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Will be
    Yes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

People who can but don't vote have no right to complain about the state of the government or the country.

One of my friends and I were discussing the election last weekend and she said she wasn't gonna bother voting. I asked her why and she shrugged her shoulders. She then said she hated the current government!

I don't understand people who say things like that and then don't bother their arses to use the right that people died for to give it to them! GRRRRR! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Will be
    In case anyone's still undecided

http://www.votomatic.ie/Home.aspx
    1. Votomatic will ask you a few questions about your opinions.
    2. You will answer them on a scale between agree and disagree.
    3. At the end, Votomatic will compare your answers with the policies of the five largest parties contesting the election, and will tell which ones agree with you most.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

After trying out that link.
    Apparently I'm a SF and Labour, and then GP kind of guy, with little or no time for FF or FG.
    Still think Ming should rule over a Totalitarian state.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

Will be
    Voted this evening, so frustrating listening to people saying "ah can't be bothered" but then will be the first to give out about government decisions :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Will be
    aviendha wrote: »
    Voted this evening, so frustrating listening to people saying "ah can't be bothered" but then will be the first to give out about government decisions :confused:

I don't know what's worse. Not bothering to vote at all, or voting without bothering to find anything out about who they're voting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭viota

Will be
    Of course i voted.I think everyone should vote and i am very proud to have a vote.I looked up my no 1 politcal party's policies before i voted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Will be
    Fishie wrote: »
    Super jealous of all you people who are able to vote! Stupid Ireland and it's stupid not allowing people abroad to vote :mad: Maybe I should have gone home and pretended that I was still resident in Ireland, but it would be electoral fraud. My Portuguese flatmate, in contrast, is able to vote via her embassy here.

I agree that it's a bit crap alright but hopefully it'll be changed soon. In FG's manifesto, they propose to allow voting in Irish embassies across the world, starting first with Presidential elections and referendums and, if that's a success, then onto general elections.

I voted earlier and have done since I was 18. I love being able to have a say and know that I have an input in choosing how our country is run :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Will be
    papagormo wrote: »
    Still think Ming should rule over a Totalitarian state.

Which Ming? The one from Roscommon, Mongo or the Lib Dem from Scotland?

Eta: Thought Flanagan was from Galway as that's where he first ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Will be
    iguana wrote: »
    .... or the Lib Dem from Scotland?

As cool as Ming the lib dem merciless would be - it's a much more boring, and freakishly quaint scottish-ism of Menzies which is pronounced ming or mingus...just on the very remote chance anyone is remotely interested. :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

iguana wrote: »
    Which Ming? The one from Roscommon, Mongo or the Lib Dem from Scotland?

Eta: Thought Flanagan was from Galway as that's where he first ran.

The Roscommon Ming:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Will be
    Yep, I have been looking forward to this GE for years.....no way I would waste this oppurtunity to have my say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mariebeth wrote: »
    I thought Ireland was pretty quick to give women the vote.
    People who can but don't vote have no right to complain about the state of the government or the country.

Rubbish. People like to "make a point" by spoiling their vote, it is in effect exactly the same as not voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Also in the "grr, no postal votes camp" and I'm pretty pissed off about it. Would have loved to have voted. OH got to vote in the last NZ election when we were living in Dublin through the embassy in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm glad there's little/no postal votes. Voting should be for residents, not citizens/passport holders. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm glad there's little/no postal votes. Voting should be for residents, not citizens/passport holders. IMO.

Presumably then anybody resident in the Ireland should be allowed vote, regardless of nationality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

but there's no postal votes even for someone that is out of the country for 2 weeks with work or something. Surely there should be some system where if you have been resident there in the last few years you can vote. I certainly don't agree that any citizens get to vote but there should be some other medium. Most other countries offer postal votes. Just because you are aware from Ireland for a little while doesn't mean your opinion doesn't count or you don't get a say in how the country is run. What about all the people who have left because they couldn't get work in Ireland? Should they not get a say in how it is run so they can hope to come home one day?

I posted this in AH. In NZ you get a postal vote if you are a NZ citizen who has been in NZ for the last three years, or a permanent resident who has been in NZ over the last 12 months. Why can't Ireland come to a similar arrangement? Also, how do you define a "resident"? It's far too simplistic a view.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I moved over to London to do my masters, with full intention of moving back to Ireland afterwards. However I realised towards the end of my studying that there was no point in moving back when I might not even be able to get a job in a shop. I don't consider London my home, just somewhere I am living temporarily. I really would have liked to have been able to vote, as the outcome of this election will affect me even though I am not in Ireland right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's the usual line, but not really. There's no way of determining whether their individual vote would've made the difference, the likelihood is that it wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Will be
    dfx- wrote: »
    It's the usual line, but not really. There's no way of determining whether their individual vote would've made the difference, the likelihood is that it wouldn't.
    No, there is no way to determine if that one vote would make a difference, but for those who couldn't be arsed to make an effort to vote I don't think they should have a right to complain about how the country is run

Advertisement