Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do eyes creases become eye wrinkles?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 3:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

So I messing around with my digital camera last night, taking stupid pictures with the Mammykins, and goddamn it, flash photographs are a cruel mistress. :D

There was a few photos where my face was scrunched up and my eyelids looked shockingly crepey in them.

So, for the first time in my 26 years, I've begun to notice wrinkles. When I smile, I have plenty of creases. They smooth out, but yeah, they're there when I smile.

I have to admit, I have never moisturised in my life. :o I have oily skin so never bothered. Boy, am I regretting that now. On the plus side, I don't smoke, don't stay out in strong sunshine for long, have never been into sunbathing and don't wear much make-up. My parents aren't very wrinkly for their 50s so I think maybe I've brought this on myself.

And now I'm paranoid I have more creases than my friends.

Aging is a bitch! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Hey, this may not be the response you're looking for in tLL as I'm a man, but I don't mean the following in a gender sense just an overall one: people always notice far more flaws in themselves than other people do.

Eye creases are a natural by-product of aging. Not age, just aging. The typical age considered by society to be in your "prime" currently is someone in their early-thirties (look at the models and actors of both genders adorning our media), and by that age nearly everyone will have eye creases. They're not unattractive, and whatsmore nobody else will even notice!

Don't worry about your eye-creases, and certainly don't start fearing this spells the start of a rigorous routine of anti-aging. Enjoy yourself - you're only twenty-six for goodness' sakes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So I messing around with my digital camera last night, taking stupid pictures with the Mammykins,
    I'm not the only one who says that? :eek:
    I'm 26 and I have to admit, I have never moisturised in my life. :o I have oily skin so never bothered.
    I was told when getting a facial that the skin needs to be moisturised to stop it getting so oily. It seems counter intuitive but it seems to be true. I don't wear makeup during the day, so my skin does get oily unless i've put moisturiser on. I don't care about creases but from that POV, you should get into the habit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

Hey, this may not be the response you're looking for in tLL as I'm a man, but I don't mean the following in a gender sense just an overall one: people always notice far more flaws in themselves than other people do.

Eye creases are a natural by-product of aging. Not age, just aging. The typical age considered by society to be in your "prime" currently is someone in their early-thirties (look at the models and actors of both genders adorning our media), and by that age nearly everyone will have eye creases. They're not unattractive, and whatsmore nobody else will even notice!

Don't worry about your eye-creases, and certainly don't start fearing this spells the start of a rigorous routine of anti-aging. Enjoy yourself - you're only twenty-six for goodness' sakes!

I do think you're right - we do pick at our own flaws. Thing is, I kinda like wrinkles on men, but for some reason I think society isn't as kind on women when it comes to wrinkles.

On the subject of models, only the very best known ones can continue working in their thirties. It's an incredibly cut throat profession. Even early twenties is considered too old generally to try and break into the profession. A girl I know who is 27 is trying to get into it at the moment - don't fancy her chances!

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm not the only one who says that? :eek:

I still call my parents Mammy and Daddy. :o Anything else sounds contrived! And yes, Mammykins get trotted out a lot. :D But I put 'kins' on the end of a lot of things.

Example 1 "Right, I'm off to bedikins".

Example 2: Calling my cat whose name is not Farty 'Fartykins'

:o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm the very same, OP. I'm 29 and noticing these little lines now. I'm even finding that on the rare occasion that I wear makeup, the stupid eyeliner is running into the lines which accentuates the wrinkles even more :(

Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to it because I'm feeling weird about turning 30 soon, but I'm beginning to regret not moisturising!

• Advertisement

Morgase wrote: »
    I'm the very same, OP. I'm 29 and noticing these little lines now. I'm even finding that on the rare occasion that I wear makeup, the stupid eyeliner is running into the lines which accentuates the wrinkles even more :(

Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to it because I'm feeling weird about turning 30 soon, but I'm beginning to regret not moisturising!

Yeah, my sister was always on at me to moisturise. She's two years older than me, and has better skin.

And there has been rumblings in my mind (quickly dismissed) when applying eye make-up in the last year or so that my eyelids just aren't as springy as they once were, but last night's photos brought it home. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I kinda like wrinkles on men, but for some reason I think society isn't as kind on women when it comes to wrinkles.
    Well that's true, but it's more for professions where looks are really important. In everyday life, it's really not noticed. Wrinkles only make a person look very aged when there are lots of them and they're very deep. Early-stage ones aren't noticeable unless pointed out by the person who has them. It's true that people are usually their own worst critics. So just get cracking on the moisturising - and drink lots of water. I started moisturising regularly quite late too - at 26 (when I noticed fine lines on my forehead) and my skin hasn't really changed since then and I'm nearly 33! Now I know some of that is genetic - I do have good skin - but when I don't moisturise, I definitely notice a difference in terms of how the skin feels.

As a question, and please feel free to delete this mods if it's inappropriate, but would moisturising cure oily and greasy skin on a man too? I don't really give a toss in terms of what other people might think of me (I know my girlfriend wouldn't care), but I can have really nasty skin sometimes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

As a question, and please feel free to delete this mods if it's inappropriate, but would moisturising cure oily and greasy skin on a man too? I don't really give a toss in terms of what other people might think of me (I know my girlfriend wouldn't care), but I can have really nasty skin sometimes.

Probably

http://www.epinions.com/content_2244714628

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

More and more I'm noticing that my 28-year-old flatmate is really conscious of her wrinkles. We were all out last Saturday night, and the first thing she said when the photos started appearing on facebook was 'Aaaagh!' She thinks she has wrinkles around her eyes, and as she is smiling or laughing in most of the photographs they are more pronounced. This is her opinion - I honestly cannot see any wrinkles, only the creases that EVERYBODY (no matter what age) gets around their eyes when they smile. I've noticed that when she looks in the mirror she is always poking and tugging at the skin around her eyes, as if to smooth her invisible wrinkles. I've tried telling her that I really can't see any, but to no avail. It's not just me, either - she still gets ID'd sometimes, she is young-looking for 28. Alas, she has begun wondering aloud whether botox would be worth it. Thankfully she can't afford it anyway, I find mask-like faces really creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

In response to this - definitely. Many men use moisturiser, as I have learned from working in a cosmetics shop, and even facemasks - just not all of them admit it! Just get a light moisturiser, one that is suitable for combination to oily skin, and use it after washing your face. You can get men-specific ones, but honestly that's mostly marketing - any good moisturiser will do. Also, don't use soap on your face unless it is specifically a facial soap, as regular soap will dry out your face and make your skin overcompensate by producing more oil.

Dudess wrote: »
    Well that's true, but it's more for professions where looks are really important. In everyday life, it's really not noticed. Wrinkles only make a person look very aged when there are lots of them and they're very deep. Early-stage ones aren't noticeable unless pointed out by the person who has them. It's true that people are usually their own worst critics. So just get cracking on the moisturising - and drink lots of water. I started moisturising regularly quite late too - at 26 (when I noticed fine lines on my forehead) and my skin hasn't really changed since then and I'm nearly 33! Now I know some of that is genetic - I do have good skin - but when I don't moisturise, I definitely notice a difference in terms of how the skin feels.

So, it's not too late! :) Should I use a moisturiser with built-in sunscreen? Anyone got some affordable recommendations?

To be honest, I glad I just enjoyed my early twenties and didn't spend them fretting about wrinkles. That was the time to be carefree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Have had a fairly strict skincare regime since I was around 16. I have eczema so my skin needs to be kept moisturised. Does this mean I won't get bad wrinkles?? (Please say yes!) I'm 23 so not too worried about them yet but I'm sure the day will come soon. In the last few months i noticed very slight bags under my eyes (this was while I was doing a 5 hour commute for work so I was absolutely shattered all the time), of course my boyfriend says they're not even there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've been using moisturiser since my teens, I have oily skin also. Have noticed crows feet since my mid 20's so I guess it makes little difference. I don't mind them though as they are my lulz lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Lol @ Mammykins, I say that too, seems like such a unique thing but there seems to be mammykins around the country! Excellent! :D

I'm 26 too and have noticed the rather permanent creases begin to form. But having said that, look at anyone that has had plastic surgery to remove wrinkles, they don't look like themselves anymore. These creases will become the aspects of your face that make you you at any age, the ones your loved ones and/or children will trace with their fingers.

Don't worry, everyones in the same boat :)

WindSock wrote: »
    I've been using moisturiser since my teens, I have oily skin also. Have noticed crows feet since my mid 20's so I guess it makes little difference. I don't mind them though as they are my lulz lines.

Lulz lines! :D I'm the same about frown lines. I frown a lot and am happy for my face to bear the evidence! :)

Eviledna wrote: »
    Lol @ Mammykins, I say that too, seems like such a unique thing but there seems to be mammykins around the country! Excellent! :D

I'm 26 too and have noticed the rather permanent creases begin to form. But having said that, look at anyone that has had plastic surgery to remove wrinkles, they don't look like themselves anymore. These creases will become the aspects of your face that make you you at any age, the ones your loved ones and/or children will trace with their fingers.

Don't worry, everyones in the same boat :)

Awwww, that's lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

am 23 and already i'm starting to develop lines from the side of my nose to the corner of my mouth and they will no longer fade. I hate to think that I',going to look like when i'm 30.....does anyone have any idea how to slow this down?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jenneke87 wrote: »
    am 23 and already i'm starting to develop lines from the side of my nose to the corner of my mouth and they will no longer fade. I hate to think that I',going to look like when i'm 30.....does anyone have any idea how to slow this down?:mad:

Smile less. Try not to show any emotion at all. Become like a blank slate, let not the matters and joys of the world enter your mind and rouse a reaction that is projected by your face.

complexion,doll,face,fashion,female,lighting,makeup,porcelain,portrait,skin,style,white-13c82dc9bd63fb81ba83a34222a3e0fe_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Jenneke87 wrote: »

Two words, Jennifer Aniston.

She is considered one of the most beautiful women in the world and she has very prominent lines between her nose and the corners of her mouth. This is from smiling :D Would you rather look miserable and people think you are a miserable sod?!

My boyfriend is always telling me that that's what I can expect to look like when I'm older because I am developing the same lines as you. I look nothing like Jennifer Aniston but in fairness to her she is a great advertisement for lol lines :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

thread of the day, get in there Poor Craythur!:D

papagormo wrote: »
    thread of the day, get in there Poor Craythur!:D

Sarcasm? :):o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So, it's not too late! :) Should I use a moisturiser with built-in sunscreen? Anyone got some affordable recommendations?

To be honest, I glad I just enjoyed my early twenties and didn't spend them fretting about wrinkles. That was the time to be carefree!

Go to a good cosmetic counter and have a skin consultation and learn what type of skin you have, then buy products for your skin type and get into a routine. I'm 37, and have been strict about my skincare since I was in my teens due to eczema. I got id'ed when I was 35 twice trying to buy booze, and I smoke like a trooper, but I religiously take care of my skin (to the point of having a new makeup consultation every six months), use an SPF 25 every day and SPF 40 in Summer and for my age, imo I've good skin, yes I've lines, laughter lines, and frown lines, but not so much that they define me at all, most people who meet me tend to age me at about 30 (on the odd occasion I ask :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sarcasm? :):o

no not at all, had just seen it and decided I should offer my congrats!:)

papagormo wrote: »
    no not at all, had just seen it and decided I should offer my congrats!:)

OK, thank you. *reluctantly and confusedly accepts undeserved praise* :D

OK, thank you. *reluctantly and confusedly accepts undeserved praise* :D

Boards.ie has a "thread of the day". You'll find it at the top underneath the "boards.ie" drop-down menu.

And this thread is today's!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9LYrCR_4I this video is cute and apt, they are a sign that you are getting older - it is better that than dying young. I have no problems with them - am sure that I may have a few by now but I am heading for 37 shortly. I think that they can look beautiful and distiguished.

Boards.ie has a "thread of the day". You'll find it at the top underneath the "boards.ie" drop-down menu.

And this thread is today's!

Heh, oh right! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I have little creases around my eyes too that only appeared in the last few years (I'm 30) and I agree wit Cathy Moran...I think they can look beautiful. I'm trying my best to avoid any negative influence that tells me aging is an ugly thing (although I know it's hard). I'm looking after myself, I eat well, I quit the fags a year ago and I moisturise. I do all I can and anything that's happening to me is through no fault of my own. It's just nature doing it's thing. I've got my health and it would seem ridiculous getting upset over a few creases. My face has taken a different shape the pass few years...I've lost that baby-faced look and I suppose I look more like a woman now and the creases are part of it. I like it. No problem with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

CathyMoran wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9LYrCR_4I this video is cute and apt, they are a sign that you are getting older - it is better that than dying young. I have no problems with them - am sure that I may have a few by now but I am heading for 37 shortly. I think that they can look beautiful and distiguished.

I thought of this song when I was reading the original post. Love it.

Advertisement