Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have a TV in your bedroom?

Options
  • 25-02-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

I was just chatting with friends about this the other day. Do you have a tv in your bedroom? I suppose I'm really asking people who live with their partner, because I always had one when I lived with parents/friends, just for privacy and downtime. But it became an issue when I moved in with himself.

For the first year and a half we had a nice tv in our bedroom, so if we wanted to watch different things we could go to different rooms and watch our shows. But it also led to laziness and many nights cuddled up in bed watching films. Nice, but not conducive to more fun activities I found, cuz I'd just fall asleep :p

So for the last 2 years, my room has been TV-less, and I feel so SO much better for it. Our bedroom is reserved for sleeping and sexing, just how I like it. But my friends couldnt imagine their rooms without a telly (Celtic Tiger what?) :D

So ladies, what way do you rock the tv situation in your place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

No telly in my bedroom. But, I do have a laptop which can be used for my telly needs! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Nope, not in the bedroom. One each in the kitchen/dining and living. I don't think it would make a difference to sexy-time because mostly that happens outside the bedroom in our house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have a small one but it's not hooked up for reception so I just watch a dvd on it the odd time. Mostly we use the one in the sitting room.
    I wouldn't like to have a tv working in my room though, the room should be for relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I defo think the bedroom should be simply for sleeping and sexing as the OP said. I've TVs set up in the living room and in the dining room. We have another two TVs but they're just sitting in the spare (junk) room.

When I was younger I had one in my room alright though. I don't keep the TV out of the room to ensure we don't fall asleep before sex though or anything. It's just the way I like the rooms decorated more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I couldnt imagine not having a tv in my bedroom, am single now but when my ex was over it was nice to just veg out and watch a movie lying in bed, never interupted anything was just there if we wanted to watch something. I watch movies in bed all the time and both my ps3 and my xbox are hooked up to it as its where I play them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

I read a study that suggested that the more things you have in a bedroom (and televisions are particular culprits) the less sex you have. Have a nice sparse bedroom with a bed and a wardrobe, and not only will you get a better night's sleep because your brain will associate the bedroom with sleep and thus shut down nice and quickly, but you'll also spend far more time sexing it up!

So I vow to never have a television in my bedroom. Awesomely, my girlfriend vows the same thing hee hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I'm a firm believer in bedrooms being for sleeping and sex, so my screens & pc are in the sitting room (I don't have a tv as such).

It's easy for me though as I'm not housesharing, so I can set things up exactly how I want them to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, mainly for the "bed is for sleeping and sex" stuff above. Never been a big fan of watching TV in bed anyway, I can never get comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Nope - far better things to be doing in my bedroom that watch telly. :)

I have a TV that is hooked up to my xbox and that is about it. Would be worried that if I did have proper channels in here, I'd never leave my room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭YoureSoVain

I used to when I was younger and living at home, cos you kinda live in your bedroom don't you? But not now in my own house. The bedroom is uncluttered and bed always made beautifully so its a place to relax and sleep. I don't think you can be really comfortable watching TV in bed either. I was sick a couple of weeks ago and stayed in bed for a while, brought the laptop in and that did the job.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I have a tv in my bedroom, always have - has never been an issue with any nocturnal activities ;)

I've started seeing a guy and he doesn't have a tv in his bedroom, but he quite enjoys lounging in my bed watching tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have a tv in my bedroom, always have - has never been an issue with any nocturnal activities ;)

mine either, its nice to just lie there chatting with something on in the background afterwards. or for duvet days just alternating between watching movies and....exercise lol

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

krudler wrote: »
    mine either, its nice to just lie there chatting with something on in the background afterwards. or for duvet days just alternating between watching movies and....exercise lol

It really depends on the person, doesn't it? I'm one of those people who just can't concentrate on a conversation if there's a tv going.

I hate pubs with tvs for that reason. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame, even though I'll have no interest in whatever is actually on the screen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Morgase wrote: »
    It really depends on the person, doesn't it? I'm one of those people who just can't concentrate on a conversation if there's a tv going.
    I have exactly the opposite problem. I'm usually struggling to concentrate on the TV while someone's trying have a conversation in my ear.

Alternatively, would a tv in the living room have any impact on activities if they start in there?
    I get the point that the bedroom is for sleeping and sex - but its not the only place that happens (at least not in my house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Morgase wrote: »

I hate pubs with tvs for that reason. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame, even though I'll have no interest in whatever is actually on the screen :(

I completely agree. I don't want to think that I might be getting distracted by the TV when I'm in bed with my girlfriend, even subconsciously. She's far too gorgeous and lovely to deserve anything but my full attention.

seamus wrote: »
    I have exactly the opposite problem. I'm usually struggling to concentrate on the TV while someone's trying have a conversation in my ear.

Urgh, you sound like my boyfriend :p if I open my mouth while something is on tv it's instantly on with the LivePause button. Of course, he can say what he likes :rolleyes:
    Alternatively, would a tv in the living room have any impact on activities if they start in there?
    I get the point that the bedroom is for sleeping and sex - but its not the only place that happens (at least not in my house)

Yeah, not in my house either. Depends what you are watching, doesn't it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I just couldn't have a television in my room, I'd go demented, I'd NEVER sleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We have a tv in our bedroom. love getting into bed and watching DH with a hot mug of tea. My husband can travel a lot with work so the tv in the bedroom tends to get used more when he is away. Sometime he will come to be bed early and watch tv with me, which nearly always leads to more interesting fun!!!! Also we enjoy snuggling up in bed on a sunday morning watching some junk on tv.

Don't have a tv in the kitchen or dining room as I would be tempted to watch it at meal time and not chat and catch on each others day.

So Tv in the bedroom dose not get in the way of sexy time!!!

• Advertisement

Malari wrote: »
    Urgh, you sound like my boyfriend :p if I open my mouth while something is on tv it's instantly on with the LivePause button. Of course, he can say what he likes :rolleyes:

Yeah, not in my house either. Depends what you are watching, doesn't it! ;)

+1 on the pause button thingy - my ex would scowl at me if I interupted his tv viewing - didn't seem to bother him that it was my house and my tv!!

TV goes out the window (not literally) if more fun activities arise - there could be trained monkeys performing in my living room and I will not be distracted from the task at hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, we have a tv in the bedroom. I never watch it though. My boyfriend just uses it to play his PS3 when I'm in the living room watching Grey's Anatomy. :) No effect on sleep or sex. :)

RachaelVO wrote: »
    I just couldn't have a television in my room, I'd go demented, I'd NEVER sleep!!!

That's interesting, because there seem to be two types of people - the kind who will watch anything on tv, as long as they are watching tv, and the kind that will watch the programme they want to see and then turn the tv off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have one in my bedroom but I don't like that I do. it's kind of necessary though since I'm housesharing and have a girlfriend, so if we want to watch anything, like a movie or something, we tend to go up to my room, rather than watch it with my housemate. I'm not one for chatting while watching tv while my housemate is... I have no channels on the tv in my room, it's hooked up to my games systems for playing and watching movies.

I always sleep way better in a room that is just a bedroom, but that's not really an option for me when I'm housesharing. I like things done a certain way, and that's not possible unless I only hang out in a my room. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

We have a tv, two laptops and a pc in our bedroom. It has no impact on our sexytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes :D I love going to bed early and snuggling with the boyfriend while watching a movie on SKY or a DVD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I don't at the moment, and way prefer it that way!
    I never had a tv in my room until I was house sharing first, and even then it was just for dvds etc.
    When I first got my own house, there was a tv in the bedroom, but it was watched all of once i think! :rolleyes:
    My boyfriend had a tv in his room before we moved in together while he was house sharing, and i did like chilling in bed watching dvds, and it definitely didn't impact on sexy time at all!
    We don't have a tv in our room now, and I really prefer not having one!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

I'm pretty adamant on no tv in bedroom - used to have all sorts of trouble with my ex over it when we did have one for a test. I found it definitely distracted her from being interested in other activities. (although some of you will know that was a much bigger story :) )

Is there a gender divide here? I found among my friends that 99% of the males didn't want the tv, whereas it was the opposite for my female friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

No gender divide here, we both want the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I used to have a TV in the room when myself and my boyfriend shared a house, but since we moved into our own place, we don't. The TV and laptop are kept in the sitting room. I was very much against any electric stuff in the room, apparently it's bad for you. We have a small stereo but it's rarely used, mainly for music when showering in the en- suite.
    I love the whole calm vibe!

Advertisement