Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm at my wits end with my cat. Really. I could cry I'm so fed up with him. He is perfectly healthy having been to the vet about 2 months ago, urine checked and all. So I know it is not a health issue.

He will not shut up! He cries to get into a room, then cries to get back out, the only time he is quiet is when all the doors in the house are open so he can come and go into every room as he pleases, or when he's sitting on me. He gets a decent amount of play time with me a day, just rolling around the floor, stalking bits of string or chasing a small ball up and down the stairs. He gets a few hours lying on the couch while I tidy downstairs and the dogs are out the back, then a couple hours of him and the dogs (close supervision required!) being in and about the kitchen together. He is in no way deprived of time or attention. But it seems that is he's not getting attention 24/7 he's not happy. He's even taken to trying to break into the bedroom, it starts with gentle mewling, then louder, then louder with scratching on the floor at the door, then the handle starts rattling because he's reaching up to try open it, then he starts flinging himself at the door. My husband and I have had full blown rows at 4am with him telling me that he has to go out and me saying that it's not safe. He's not looking to get out, he'd looking to get in on the bed.

He's currently screaming to get into the sitting room, I've only 5 mins ago let him out into the hall because he's been crying at the sitting room door to get out (his bed is on the landing, big cushion with a cat tent)

I'm serously considering putting him in a crate and putting the crate in the furthest room away from me, just to get some peace.

I think I might have started a thread about this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you tried Feliway with him? Might calm him down a bit...

Or you can try some catnip. Feline equivalent of a good joint! :D

Have you tried Feliway with him? Might calm him down a bit...

Or you can try some catnip. Feline equivalent of a good joint! :D

Might try some catnip for myself!

No I haven't tried feliway, does it work?

He has had catnip, he went mad, happy, but still mad.

Thank you for the suggestions. Would you like a cat as a thank you?

I used Feliway when I moved my cat over from London. Vet gave me the spray (which frankly, is crap! :D), and then I also got a diffuser which worked wonders! You plug it in like an air freshner, and the phemerones (sp) given off calm the cat. He settled in much quicker than I thought he would.

Thank you! I think I will try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh Whispered you are basically describing my life! Cream does not ever ever ever EVER shut up. He even grunts in his sleep. If his in he wants out, if he's out he wants in, if I'm not looking at him he screams, when I look at him he talks to me, if I completely ignore him he starts to destroy stuff, when I give out to him he gets all loving and I can't stay mad! When I lock him out in the utility if he's annoying me too much he cries and cries and cries! And now Peach has started talking to me a lot too, but only as an interaction not like the other neurotic fool! I tried feliway and nothing, catnip sometimes works. The only thing I've found really works is to run up and down the hallway with him chasing me to tire him out (and me!) :pac: At the moment he is trying to kill Peach so at least that's distracting him from talking.. I can just hear her growling and hissing. There was one night he got so so bad outside the bedroom door that I had to go out and put sun cream on his ears at half 5 in the morning to make him mad at me so he wouldn't want to get into bed :D I almost enjoy when he has throat infections because at least he can't talk! :pac:

:) I'm very glad I'm not the only one with a cat who won't be quiet! I really do love him but :mad:

Now Cream has settled but Peach is walking around meowing at everything. Wah. It's worth putting up with them though, gotta love cats :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whispered do you give it to him everytime he demands attention? Is it possible to ignore him literally for as long as you can stand it? He's obviously learned that by continually pushing it he'll get what he wants eventually so if you know he's not deprived of attention during the day then don't give in. Easier said than done i know,but i suppose the first step of training a puppy to settle themselves is to let them learn to settle themselves so id apply the same principles.

Maybe at night allocate one room for him to stay in with everything he needs and do not give in.Maybe try the Feliway in conjunction in the same room although im reluctant to rely on chemically substances for relaxation purposes all the time.Cats are notoriously persistant but it sounds like he gets what he wants in the end so you have to show him he cant.He's not in pain,hungry or wants to get out so it's purely separation anxiety which he's learned to alleviate by being as annoying as possible.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Whispered do you give it to him everytime he demands attention? Is it possible to ignore him literally for as long as you can stand it? He's obviously learned that by continually pushing it he'll get what he wants eventually so if you know he's not deprived of attention during the day then don't give in. Easier said than done i know,but i suppose the first step of training a puppy to settle themselves is to let them learn to settle themselves so id apply the same principles.

Maybe at night allocate one room for him to stay in with everything he needs and do not give in.Maybe try the Feliway in conjunction in the same room although im reluctant to rely on chemically substances for relaxation purposes all the time.Cats are notoriously persistant but it sounds like he gets what he wants in the end so you have to show him he cant.He's not in pain,hungry or wants to get out so it's purely separation anxiety which he's learned to alleviate by being as annoying as possible.

I know it's really good advice Anniehoo, and exactly what I would do with a dog, but with Miller it does.not.work :( I do tend to give in a lot because he's very loud and very persistent, I know it's my fault really.

I think the most frustrating bit is the sly little lul, 5 mins of silence when we breathe out and think "Oh he's given up" followed by a crash at the door and the mewling again. :mad:

My husband has gone to bed and miller is being quiet. He knows that if he keeps making noise when K is in bed he'll be locked into the bathroom with his bed and food/water/tray and the light will be switched off. (toilet seat down so it's perfectly safe). Once he hears me going up he'll start again.

• Advertisement

You don't need the Feliway all the time! Too expensive for a start. It's just to give the cat a kick start so's to speak. Once the cat is relaxed enough to realise nothing bad will happen to him, he might eventually settle down.

It really is consistency on your part as he already knows he doesnt get away with it with your husband. You've answered your own question really :o
    wrote:
    Once he hears me going up he'll start again.
    Whispered wrote: »
    I know it's my fault really.

It's like a kid knowing they'll get away with anything with mammy but not with daddy because dad doesnt give in so there's no point in even bothering. If this is a massive problem and having him in the bedroom is a definite no no, you have to be strict with yourself as much as Miller. In any training consistency is the no.1 rule for long lasting results. We're all guilty of giving mixed signals sometimes but as this is causing rows as you said it's really up to you to nip this in the bud. ;)

It's like a kid knowing they'll get away with anything with mammy but not with daddy because dad doesnt give in so there's no point in even bothering.

This is so true, as my parents said to me today, Cream never cries at the windows when I'm away in college. It can be really hard to ignore them though :(

Miller was quiet all night :eek: I think he must have realised I was getting to my wits end. Probably read my posts.

laptop-cat.jpg

He's being quiet now too because he's sitting on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Forget catnip - this is what you want http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/valerian_toys/127504 I got one years ago for our cat (RIP) he went crazy for it and wouldn't leave it alone!! A word of warning thou they're a bit smelly - like a cheesy kind of smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Awww, Whispered, we have a cat that is a pain at times (not as bad as yours:eek:).
    Its usually night time or early morning he starts, no meows, just really loud purrs, now a purr can't wake you you are thinking, but you are wrong, he wakes me as he is walking down the hall to my room, its that loud.
    He will then proceed to jump on the bed and walk back and forth across the pillow, purring like a train and drooling on your head.
    We have tried putting him down off the bed (even pushing him off the bed), he takes that as encouragement and gets louder and more persistent. Shutting him out of the room results in him leaning against the door creating purr vibrations that rattle the door and then he yowls.
    Have to hide under the covers and pretend you aren't there and he will leave again after 5 mins or so.:o

During the day all it takes is a look and he's off, never seen a cat as purry as him, he's 12 or 13 now and getting worse with age!

Still love the big Ginger nut!

Aw I never realised cats drool as much. It's gas.

He's asleep on my bed at the moment and I'm very tempted to go wake him up. :D

Haha I had an experience like that last night mymo, I noticed out of the corner of my eye Peach was sitting on the arm of the couch staring at me. So I looked over at her, the second we made eye contact she turned into a tractor! I love when all you have to do is look at them to get purrs. Laughing at the image of vibrating purrs against the door though! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm at my wits end with my cat. Really. I could cry I'm so fed up with him. He is perfectly healthy having been to the vet about 2 months ago, urine checked and all. So I know it is not a health issue.

He will not shut up! He cries to get into a room, then cries to get back out, the only time he is quiet is when all the doors in the house are open so he can come and go into every room as he pleases, or when he's sitting on me. He gets a decent amount of play time with me a day, just rolling around the floor, stalking bits of string or chasing a small ball up and down the stairs. He gets a few hours lying on the couch while I tidy downstairs and the dogs are out the back, then a couple hours of him and the dogs (close supervision required!) being in and about the kitchen together. He is in no way deprived of time or attention. But it seems that is he's not getting attention 24/7 he's not happy. He's even taken to trying to break into the bedroom, it starts with gentle mewling, then louder, then louder with scratching on the floor at the door, then the handle starts rattling because he's reaching up to try open it, then he starts flinging himself at the door. My husband and I have had full blown rows at 4am with him telling me that he has to go out and me saying that it's not safe. He's not looking to get out, he'd looking to get in on the bed.

He's currently screaming to get into the sitting room, I've only 5 mins ago let him out into the hall because he's been crying at the sitting room door to get out (his bed is on the landing, big cushion with a cat tent)

I'm serously considering putting him in a crate and putting the crate in the furthest room away from me, just to get some peace.

I think I might have started a thread about this before.

Good god, you have ALL my sympathy. I have two of them here that are like that, and now with the GSD it has gotten worse, in out in out all day long, they're only happy in Summer when the entire house is open so they can come and go to the garden as they please. The oldest one is currently asleep in the hotpress (he's 20), the younger one (11) is sitting on the garage rood yowling at NOTHING. He has been literally yowling at NOTHING for over fifteen minutes now. And the dog, who was asleep- finally, is now pacing and whining because he's disturbed by the racket.

* wibbles with exhaustion*

Good god, you have ALL my sympathy. I have two of them here that are like that, and now with the GSD it has gotten worse, in out in out all day long, they're only happy in Summer when the entire house is open so they can come and go to the garden as they please. The oldest one is currently asleep in the hotpress (he's 20), the younger one (11) is sitting on the garage rood yowling at NOTHING. He has been literally yowling at NOTHING for over fifteen minutes now. And the dog, who was asleep- finally, is now pacing and whining because he's disturbed by the racket.

* wibbles with exhaustion*

:D It seems this is a really common problem! And people think cats are easy pets.

Sounds like you really have your hands full, I'm thankful I only have one vocal pet!

• Advertisement

I'll swap all of your loud cats for one that pees on everything. At least i can wear ear plugs that way :o

I'll swap all of your loud cats for one that pees on everything. At least i can wear ear plugs that way :o

You can have one who's loud and likes to spray on the (thankfully) leather couch if you want :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

So guilty today! Freaking out cos I've had to leave my poor doggie alone for the whole day. Usually hubby works 9-5 and goes home for lunch so she's never alone for too long at a time. If he's away with work she goes to my mam's. Unfortunately hubby and mam are away today so she's left in the garden on her own from 7 to 6. Way too long so the guilt is killing me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah yes, the crying cats.
    Since my wife had our baby, the three furry children have been confined to the kitchen & dining room during the day ... as well as the "cat extension" - the side passage and the new glass house attached to one end of it.
    One is very happy spending the day out in the kittie apartment but the other two are not so happy. One howls and bleats all day long while the second tries to open the doors into the hall and living room. We now have to keep them locked until I come home in the evening and then they all march into the living room and take up their positions on the couches.
    It's even risky going to the toilet at night because as soon as one of us even turns on a light upstairs, the cats wake up and start howling or hanging off one of the door handles to get up to us.
    It's hilarious in one way but it drives my wife demented during the day, particularly if our daughter is being difficult that day and we're also afraid the banging on the door handles will wake our daughter up during the night. :D

Drama earlier - Bailey stumbled across the wasps nest in the park!! :eek: It's in the ground on the riverbank..just as he went to come back to me (I'd called him as he got close to it) a swarm of them came out at him..he was biting at them and then rubbing them off his face with his paws, my friend was closer to him and was able to grab his harness and pull him away. He seems fine though thank god - no bumps or acting strange. His friend got stung a couple of weeks ago and was basically in shock/distress - lying down, standing against us, rubbing his head on the ground etc and cartoon bumps coming up on him. Anyhoos I told the gardener and he said they're "not allowed interfere with it because it's affects the ecosystem :rolleyes::rolleyes:" (he rolled his eyes lol). Stupid wasps!:mad:

Wasps aren't any benefit to anything, they are evil wrapped up in an angry little shell. My old dog used to love eating them though, dogs just don't sense the danger!!

Wasps aren't any benefit to anything, they are evil wrapped up in an angry little shell. My old dog used to love eating them though, dogs just don't sense the danger!!

Hate the things! I'm half tempted to get a wasp killer thing (that wouldn't kill any other animals) and get them under cover of darkness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

My dog is a jumper upper.
    She learned early on that small people are not for jumping on and she happily waits while the stampede of school kids come out and one by one pat her , rub her or just say hello to her as they run past. The smaller the person the faster the tail wags :D
    However adults have always been fair game, especially adults coming in to the house. We usually end up putting her on lead or out of the room because she really torments people.

We had an older relative here for the weekend. In the past he was treated just as every other adult and jumped on every time he moved. However, he's got quite frail very recently and suddenly not good on his feet :( Seconds into her initial greeting to him when he came in the door she changed and didn't once try to jump on him in all the days he was here. she nicely stayed out from under his feet and greeted him with just a happy tail wag when he'd come into the room. How she knows something is different I don't know but she really behaved impecably :) .

Nice to be saying something good about her on here for a change :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Lolas dozed off with her head in one of my trainers lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Well someone was listening to my vet nurse on Tuesday when she commented on how rarely jazz has to go to the vets ( in comparison to my other 2,terriers who are going through a tough spot at the moment)
    Jazz was running around the park tonight when she suddenly stopped and started crying lifting her paw up. By the time I got to her her foot was covered in blood, she'd torn her nail up from the bed and was really hurt she's now curled up in her bed dosed up and wearing a baby sock. Hopefully she won't lose the nail :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement