Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've had my 2 out for a walk today and I very cruelly left them out the back for much of the day so they couldn't curl up and sleep all day as usual. I'm hoping if they are tired they won't react to the door bell or fire works. It's working so far, the door bell is barely getting a raised head from them. They're enjoying their couch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Things are surprisingly calm here! I can't hear any fireworks but there have been a lot of callers. One of my dogs is deaf so she has no idea that anything is going on :) The other isn't phased in the slightest, he just looks up every time the door bell rings.

One of the cats is hilarious, though. She's nervous but quite curious and seems to be doing some sort of ninja routine on the stairs - every time I go to answer the front door she's one step further down! The other cat is scardy and hiding in my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oddly enough (and thank god!!) scardey pants Bailey is not bothered by fireworks! He might stop and look towards the door or sky if he's outside lol but then goes back to what's he's doing. When he was a puppy and they were going off we ignored them and starting talking about dinner or tv etc and it did the trick...or treat ;):P

Whispered wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on with halloween and their pets?

I have budgies, they think it's their Christmas, budgies LOVE noise! Last New Years I had their cage where they could watch the fireworks too. Think it's awesome. It's probably the best holiday for pet birds! My parents have a gundog, Halloween is so confusing for him. Gunshot?! WTF? Where?

Hope everyone else's pets are getting on safe and sound!

Marky has been separated from Yellow so he can have his antibiotics (in his drinking water). I only had the little travel cage to put him in and have had to push the two cages together so they can talk! Sent my friend this photo and he said "Marky's in Alcatraz!"

2012-10-31162704.jpg

Edited to say: I can't believe how happy he looks in this pic even in his little cage, and what a little trooper he is. He's obviously confused, in pain, was shoved in a shoebox yesterday and brought to a vet, locked in a little jail now, but he never loses his spirit. He even chirped the whole way to the vet in the box! And, even more surprising, the whole way home! I love this little guy so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I just fell asleep on the couch for a half hour because I'm taking cold/flu tablets and they have me knocked. Peach decided I've been asleep too long so very kindly woke me up by licking my eyebrows..

I love my cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We never get trick or treaters as we're out a bit from town but can hear the bangers in the distance. Doesn't bother my two, or the three I have here on their holidays. When they hear something in the distance they all crowd the back door, sprint out barking to investigate and prance back in like they've fended off a burglar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Phew thank God that's over!
    There were many trick or treaters. The doorbell rang about 30 times over 2.5 hours. The fireworks started just when the doorbell stopped. There was much barking, whining and crying. I gave her a treat every time the fireworks went off... settled her quickly after each one but made no difference for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well this is our first Halloween in this house, and while we are still in the middle of town, we are down a long little lane with few houses, apparently no one thought it was worth coming down here!
    Only callers were my daughter friends younger brother and his two friends, they got a big fist full of chocs and currently 4 teens are eating the rest while watching zombie movies!
    I am in bed surrounded by dogs and cats!
    They don't like zombies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Secret Santa thread is up!!! It's always a bit of craic (may regret saying that if im inundated with PMs :D). Hope to see a few new participants this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Just discovered my Springer responds better to " Oy deaf dog" than he does to his name :D

Marky and Yellow are chatting away through the bars of the cages, shoved together! I think Marky very much appreciates that he's not being grabbed and having his sore feet touched every day now. Second day of antibiotics! They're in grand form listening to Hole with me. They have exceptional tastes in music!

I can't stop laughing, this was awesome. I had to refill Marky's seed dish, and he made a break for freedom! Slipped out the cell door and fell into a heap on the floor. I said "Hang on Mark I'll pick you up in a sec" but he flew up, across the room, and landed on my soft toy Penguin! I thought it was so cute, I took a few pics, caught him, had to stick him back into the big cage while I got his jailcell sorted; now the poor little guy is back in the travel cage. He might be ill but his spirit is alive and well!

2012-11-01200833.jpg

Just discovered my Springer responds better to " Oy deaf dog" than he does to his name :D

My parents have a lovely little Springer called Sonny, if you say to him "Poor PawPaw!" he will start growling and snarling! So we sometimes call to him "PawPaw?" and he comes back and gives us a look than would pickle onions. But it gets him to come back, so hey!

Marky was stone dead on the floor his his cage this morning.
    That I was not expecting.
    Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

budgese wrote: »
    Ah well.

Ah Im so sorry to hear that, hugs Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah well.

:( I'm sorry to hear that, I really am.

I've never spoken to someone who loves or takes as much care of their budgies. He's a lucky boy, I really hope you know that!

Aw no so sorry Budgese :( you did an incredible job as an owner looking after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Night, night Marky. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Maggies hammerhead shark costume came in time for halloween but was way too big for her. Shes growing loads though, by next year id imagine she'll have filled out enough for it http://www.mollys.ie/animal-planet-hammerhead-shark-dog-costume.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

RIP Marky :(

I haven't got anywhere to bury him. My mother suggested putting him in the freezer, so I can bring him down to their place and bury him, but that feels WRONG! I can't decide which feels worse, putting him in the freezer or the bin! I guess I better make up my mind. I always thought I'd bury him in the park under the cover of darkness, but I never thought I'd be alone when this happened; and I wont do that alone.

Sorry to hear about Marky :(

I was meant to start cooking the dinner, but Peach has decided to be a lap cat. Who am I to say no? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Ah well.

Really sorry to read that x

My mother is gonna pick me up tomorrow and drive me down to the parental home for the evening/night, and we're gonna bury Marky in the garden. That's a relief, I really felt awful about putting him in the bin! I had thought about sticking him in a box with some stones and throwing him in the river or the sea, but this is better. Guess they already have some soft ground from when they dug the hole for Xsara on Tuesday :(

Worried about leaving my little girl bird alone overnight, but she'll cope. I don't know the protocol about showing budgies their dead cagemates, but when I held him out to her she freaked the hell out, but she's always freaking out, so hard to read her. He's been lying on tissues beside the cage all day, she climbs over and stares at him now and again. Put on her favourite tracks (bird loves the Doors and Black Sabbath, the little headcase) and she's busy playing with her toys anyway. She seems a little confused but I'm sure she'll cope.

but she's always freaking out, so hard to read her.
    Budgese can i just say i know it's been an awful day for ya, but it's been very refreshing to follow your posts recently. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive, but in a very mainly dog and cat orientated forum it's great to find an avian enthusiast such as yourself speak so heartfelt about their pets that most would misunderstand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Took Millie to the dog park in Marley today for a run around. She absolutely loved it (as did I). She got slightly swamped for the first couple of minutes being the newest in the pen. A bit unsure but then got used to it.
    Back of the car is in a state. Covered in mud. :rolleyes:

Me and my ma buried Marky in the paddock at home with Xsara, our 15 year old Lab who died on Tuesday. Just turned up a fresh sod and scraped away till the hole was deep enough, our dead helpful spaniel watched her digging, ran a few feet away and dug a hole of his own. Was in two minds as to whose grave was better for Marky, but didn't much want the springer to dig him back up! Think my mother was more upset than I was! They both had their innings, pride of place in the centre of the paddock anyway. My da was trying to remember where all the dead dogs and cats were, and then said "And how many budgies and goldfish have gone down there too!", told him he could write a book about garden feng shui and where to bury your dead pets to maximise your luck/health/finances, and minimise chances of digging up a beloved pet accidentally!

Me and my ma buried Marky in the paddock at home with Xsara, our 15 year old Lab who died on Tuesday. Just turned up a fresh sod and scraped away till the hole was deep enough, our dead helpful spaniel watched her digging, ran a few feet away and dug a hole of his own. Was in two minds as to whose grave was better for Marky, but didn't much want the springer to dig him back up! Think my mother was more upset than I was! They both had their innings, pride of place in the centre of the paddock anyway. My da was trying to remember where all the dead dogs and cats were, and then said "And how many budgies and goldfish have gone down there too!", told him he could write a book about garden feng shui and where to bury your dead pets to maximise your luck/health/finances, and minimise chances of digging up a beloved pet accidentally!

I remember being terrified that my neighbors dog would come down into my garden and dig up my dead cat a few years ago. Turns out I should have been worrying more about my current cats, Cream decided to use the freshly dug soil as a litter tray. So glad to know what he thought of his big brother! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

One of our dogs/maybe my older brother dug until they found the hair of one of our recently dead labs, back when we were kids. My brother swears it was the other dog; my father still thinks it was older bro! He did have a bit of a sick fascination with, well, sick things. Apparently Sonny ran down into the conservatory, where the vet had put Xsara to sleep, sniffed her, thought "That's grand" and hasn't acted in any way strange since! My parents then picked Xsara up between them and put her in the wheelbarrow to bring out to the prepared hole, when along came the ESB metre reader, walked around the side of the house, and saw a big dead dog in a wheelbarrow :o My parents are mortified!

Here's the little digger himself. I love this little dog :)
    sonny-1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement