Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Mix equal parts baking soda and icing sugar and scatter around the ant areas. The ants will eat it and it kills them. It's cheap and non toxic to pets and other wildlife.

I think we will have to cover the entire garden at this stage! We've identified two hills which are the main source but they are also all over the driveway and cracks in the footpath. The cats finished up their antibiotics last night so their itchiness isn't quite as bad, back to the vet tomorrow for a check up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

I think we will have to cover the entire garden at this stage! We've identified two hills which are the main source but they are also all over the driveway and cracks in the footpath. The cats finished up their antibiotics last night so their itchiness isn't quite as bad, back to the vet tomorrow for a check up!

I leave little mounds of it scattered around and they find it in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have a lot of ants too this year, my neighbour has had his house treated last year and again this year, but he's still having issues, thankfully they are just in certain spots in our garden.

Picked the cats up this morning and they all wailed all the way home, then, Ruby spent the day following us and wailing, the others just followed us around, with the odd meow. Jake even followed us to the bathroom to watch the dogs getting washed.
    Sat on the side of the bath purring and looking smug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm now living up in Dublin and Conehead can't come cause of traffic. He's grand in low level stuff but he'd be like a pregnant nun in a nunnery if I brought him up.
    I miss my Kovu :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Henry has stopped running around at 300 miles an hour, 18 hours a day, and has learned about Rubs. Now he's a little rub savage and Swanson just sits there like a lonely little sad alone cat, remembering when HE got rubs and was full of youth and joy and kibble. Even though he can have rubs any time and actually spent all of Sunday outside whoring himself out to GAA supporters.

• Advertisement

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§as78.÷§

Much love,
    Amelia.

Yup, she actually managed to send a bloody email this time. Exact text (apart from the sign off obviously!). At least it was to a friend of mine who knows and loves her, probably feels special.

I must say it's hard to play webgames with a cat on the laptop and her tail in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§as78.÷§

Much love,
    Amelia.

Yup, she actually managed to send a bloody email this time. Exact text (apart from the sign off obviously!). At least it was to a friend of mine who knows and loves her, probably feels special.

Sammy did the same last week, via direct message on Twitter. The message: [pp-;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;--

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Benson has been following me around the house for the past couple of days. If I go anywhere he's behind me within about 10 seconds. Right now he's snuggled into my side with his paw resting on my leg. Usually he's more independent during the day, ie if I moved about he'd stay in his bed or be just out in the garden.

PS Baby is due next week, was thinking that it might have something to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Benson has been following me around the house for the past couple of days. If I go anywhere he's behind me within about 10 seconds. Right now he's snuggled into my side with his paw resting on my leg. Usually he's more independent during the day, ie if I moved about he'd stay in his bed or be just out in the garden.

PS Baby is due next week, was thinking that it might have something to do with it!

My mum suffers with migraines and Bailey is always glued to her giving his paw non-stop before, during and after! So maybe something is going to happen with the baby(!)....or you're going to get a headache lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This is him last night :)

I rarely have headaches, and don't feel sick apart from tiredness and lack of mobility so hopefully it's baby getting a move on!

IqA0c4Ul.jpg

• Advertisement

Tiffi was very quiet last night, wouldn't jump up on the sofa like usual, so I lifted her, she curled up and didn't do her usual 'seal flop' (kinda turns and flops half on her back against you for belly rubs) and this morning I discovered why.
    One of her claws is damaged, it's currently upside down (curved upwards) and looks damaged at the base.
    I'm working until 10 tonight, so daughter will have to get her to the vet. Lucky it's not far, she's heavy to carry!

6 years ago today :pac: :

359334.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

We're officially a two cat household, I gave in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

ooooh so cute....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Congratulations. Think you made the right decision:)

Charlie went to the vet yesterday evening, all his glands are swollen and the vet could feel a mass in his abdomen. Bloods came back normal, they're going to take a sample of his glands on Monday. Lymphoma was mentioned. He's only just turning 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Charlie went to the vet yesterday evening, all his glands are swollen and the vet could feel a mass in his abdomen. Bloods came back normal, they're going to take a sample of his glands on Monday. Lymphoma was mentioned. He's only just turning 10

Oh hopefully he's alright. That's what we lost our Shadow to at almost 11 :(

Poor Charlie! A worrying weekend ahead for you! :(

A bit of a downer alright from officially adopting Freya. The vet isint very optimistic, I think it's a FNA there doing Monday morning, results back on Wednesday that'll tell us either way what it is. Regular bloods were all fine, no values up or down, not sure if that's a good or bad thing. His breathing has gotten a bit raspy and faster than normal since yesterday evening. I hadn't seen him in a few weeks but he hasn't lost condition and is only a little less perky than normal.

Fingers crossed all is ok, after losing bunty in November don't think we could lose him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Fingers and paws crossed for Charlie. :(

• Advertisement

Oh no, zapperzy I hope Charlie is ok.

Freya is beautiful, we had called our tortie girl Freya initially but my daughter decided within a day or two it didn't suit her (Her personality just wasn't a Freya) and renamed her Ruby.

Fingers crossed for Charlie.x

Was left with no other choice but to lock Opie outside for five minutes. He's been holding his breakfast poo since about 8 this morning and I could actually smell it waiting at the ready :P
    I put him out, closed the door and he quickly figured out that he wasn't getting back in until he did his business. I look out the kitchen window, and the daft animal is sitting on the step to the shed, in the lashing rain, squeaky in his mouth.

The step to the shed, which has an open door, his crate, his blankets and all of his outdoor toys. We only put the crate out there because it's taking up space inside since he doesn't sleep in it any more. Figured since he recognises it he might have the gumption to use it.

Nope. :pac:

I made my two go out around 10.30 too, Oliver ran out did his business and ran back fully expecting the door to be open, I saw him coming and opened the door just as he ran into it, he looked embarrassed and wagged his tail as he walked away.
    Tiffi meanwhile takes her time, flinching like every rain drop burns, and comes in soaked and looking miserable, curls up giving me the 'you're an evil bitch' stare.

mymo wrote: »
    I made my two go out around 10.30 too, Oliver ran out did his business and ran back fully expecting the door to be open, I saw him coming and opened the door just as he ran into it, he looked embarrassed and wagged his tail as he walked away.
    Tiffi meanwhile takes her time, flinching like every rain drop burns, and comes in soaked and looking miserable, curls up giving me the 'you're an evil bitch' stare.

I can see that in my head. Opie refused to go out yesterday evening until my OH headed out to put an old desk in the shed to sit the drier on (I'm too pregnant to kneel down at it now :P ). Bloody idiot ran outside in the rain and danced about in it like it was heaven's stream of everlasting youth and as soon as OH went back inside he ran after him like his arse had been scalded :pac:

Ah I feel a bit bad for not taking the dogs out on our usual weekend trek! My friend isn't with us today (going to Croker poor thing) so I was being lazy! We had a lonnnnng walk yesterday in St Anne's and the dogs jumped into the pond for the first time because Rebel jumped in - normally they run around the edge but I thought had the sense not to get in because the drop is too high for them that they wouldn't be able to get out... Anyways the STINK was awful lol had to wash them when I came home :p This morning Bailey ran out for a wee but Lucy stood frozen squinting her eyes at the rain, then they both came in and took to their beds! I went and got some bits and pieces in Aldi then took them for a quick run to the park...which was cut short when the guy with his ****yy little jrts stood laughing as the other one for a change went for the three of us - I had my two on lead near the river so they wouldn't be tempted to jump in. I bit my tongue as usual and then came home in a temper! :mad: Then we did some training instead which exhausted them. Funny how one of them can pick something up straight away but it takes the other longer lol - even when the one who has learnt what to do is showing off and rubbing it in their face lol!! :pac:

Update - nice argument to start the week with said jrt owner. I just had enough of it - the dog was tripping me up trying to go for Lucy! :mad: Asked him if he'd be happy for my dogs to run barking at his and well...now we know where his dogs get their aggression from(!) I also warned him that Lucy is only 2 - sooner or later she'll stand up to his dog and it'll get hurt. He just repeated everything I was saying .. It ended with me telling him to put the dog on a lead when it's near us or I'll be calling the dog warden on him 'oh will you now'
    'I will so that'll be a nice bill for you - 4 licenses'

And breathe....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm after getting a job working in a branch of one of Ireland's main pet shops, excitement! Looking forward to getting to meet new animals on a daily basis! And the customers too I suppose :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm after getting a job working in a branch of one of Ireland's main pet shops, excitement! Looking forward to getting to meet new animals on a daily basis! And the customers too I suppose :P

Congrats!!! Which one?? Might bump into you at some stage!

tk123 wrote: »
    Update - nice argument to start the week with said jrt owner. I just had enough of it - the dog was tripping me up trying to go for Lucy! :mad: Asked him if he'd be happy for my dogs to run barking at his and well...now we know where his dogs get their aggression from(!) I also warned him that Lucy is only 2 - sooner or later she'll stand up to his dog and it'll get hurt. He just repeated everything I was saying .. It ended with me telling him to put the dog on a lead when it's near us or I'll be calling the dog warden on him 'oh will you now'
    'I will so that'll be a nice bill for you - 4 licenses'

And breathe....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :mad:
    And you can be sure if the warden went near him he'd have a plan in place to make your life hell :(

Also, zapperzy - any update on poor Charlie?

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    And you can be sure if the warden went near him he'd have a plan in place to make your life hell :(

He skulked off out of the park this morning before we got in and I could see him looking over his shoulder! My only regret is that I didn't record the dog coming at us yesterday. Anyways I won't be taking any crap off him - I may be 5 foot but my bro is a LOT taller and menacing and would be more than happy to have a quiet word with him! See how brave he is then :p This is the same guy who covers the dogs poo with a leaf and steps on it rather than pick it up!! :mad:

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Also, zapperzy - any update on poor Charlie?

Haven't heard from mum this morning but up to last night he was in good form. Had samples taken yesterday morning hopefully have the results back Thursday. He's mostly his usual self, off his biscuits but no wonder when he's wolfing down chicken, scrambled egg, rocco tinned food and any human biscuits he can beg off people. Sleeps a lot but will perk up if he sees his lead or throw a ball for him. Apart from his glands being swollen and his breathing being caught up you wouldn't think anything is wrong with him.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed it's just an infection but the vet doesn't hold much hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement