Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

tk123 wrote: »
    :( My poor cat is gone 6 years today!

Ahh, sorry to hear that tk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:mad: I snapped this morning and let a roar at the little sh1t that comes at Lucy every morning. It was off lead and came at the 3 of us as we were going into the park shouted "HEY!!" then told the owner to control it before it got bitten. He stands laughing when Lucy lies down as it's snapping at her - she's 2 FFS and too young to stand up for herself yet - he won't be laughing when she finally decided she's had enough?! :mad: 5 mins later we bump into him again and it comes at me and Bailey (Lucy was already in the river) - I had to use all my self restraint not to let another roar at it/him.... Then he stood over the other side of the river giving ME filthy looks. I doubt he has licenses for his 4 dogs - tempted to make a call :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

:mad: I snapped this morning and let a roar at the little sh1t that comes at Lucy every morning. It was off lead and came at the 3 of us as we were going into the park shouted "HEY!!" then told the owner to control it before it got bitten. He stands laughing when Lucy lies down as it's snapping at her - she's 2 FFS and too young to stand up for herself yet - he won't be laughing when she finally decided she's had enough?! :mad: 5 mins later we bump into him again and it comes at me and Bailey (Lucy was already in the river) - I had to use all my self restraint not to let another roar at it/him.... Then he stood over the other side of the river giving ME filthy looks. I doubt he has licenses for his 4 dogs - tempted to make a call :p

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH people like that REALLY grind my gears. We ended up having to stop walking Shadow for the last year and a half of his life because he was so utterly tormented every single day by these absolute knob-jockeys that think it's okay to let their dogs terrorize other people and animals! Shadow ended up so demented that he used to make this blood-curdling screaming noise when he saw another dog! More than once I got told if HE was that VICIOUS, HE should have a muzzle on HIM!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Funny, people do not take the same chances with Opie. I've seen a few of the Shadow-culprits call their dogs away from him. Perhaps it's because he doesn't make a sound when he sees a threatening dog approach. He just lowers his head, rolls his shoulderblades and strips his teeth as if he's just daring them to attempt to attack him. And yet, he's super friendly with dogs that approach him in an appropriate manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I was out jogging with Pepper on Sunday on a little country lane near my parents house. I was on my way back, just past the 4 mile mark and I was completely wrecked. Legs like jelly kind of wrecked. And sure didn't two border collies come flying down the lane at me and Pep. The only warning I had was Pepper's ears flicked forward, I looked up, saw the dogs and looked down again and Pepper was tearing down the lane away from them. And sure they assumed this meant Pepper wanted to play. She did try and get back to me a couple of times but every time she stopped, they'd catch up and she'd take off again.

Eventually the other owner got her dogs to come back but by then I'd lost sight of Pep. At first I had been so angry with the other owner but by that stage, my brain had caught up with me, her dogs weren't aggressive, she wasn't expecting to meet anyone and neither was I.

She kept apologising and saying she'd put her dogs away and come to help look for her but Pepper only tolerates strangers when she's in a good mood, if she's terrified like she was, she'd just run further away. Luckily I found her nearly a mile back within about 5 minutes but it was a very long 5 minutes.

Scared the living delights out of me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I decided to chill out on the couch upstairs last night which I haven't done in months - was too sick to be trusted on a stairs first then it was too hot to even think about being up there (it's a converted attic so traps all the heat). Well the cats were absolutely delighted to have me back up there! If I'm downstairs they'll mooch around, maybe sit on my lap or else just settle somewhere else but the second I sit down upstairs the two of them are glued to me! Cream on my lap, Peach across my shoulders and Dude snuggled into my hip :D I'm surprised I didn't pass out from the heat from the three of them!!

• Advertisement

We switched our 4 to grainfree Purizon 2 weeks ago and Poppy's almost stopped pulling her fur out. There's 2 patches either side of her lower back that are growing back white where she'd thinned it so much pulling it out. I'm glad we tried eliminating the grain to see if that was what the problem was. The only down side is that Felix is playing up a bit since we took him off the Calm food. He's getting huffy and has cornered Toby a few times. I've been spending extra time playing with him and making a fuss of him and hopefully that'll settle him back down, if not we'll have to start feeding him the calming food again.

:pac: I got Lucy a 'multi-function dog vest' ie a neoprene vest with foam inserts to try and boost her confidence and get her swimming! We'll get use out of it all winter as a vest so hopefully it holds up and does the job.

Jesus H, we just spent an hour and a half catching a mouse in the living room. I thought Toby sounded very excitable when he came in yesterday morning. Mr P was having his dinner while Jazzy was staring at the curtains and the bloody thing dropped off the living room curtains. Every time Mr P pulled out 1 sofa it ran under the other. He'd to pull almost everything out of the living room before he got it and popped it over to the fields.

I'm as much use as a chocolate tea pot where rodents are concerned. He's telling me it's a small mouse, didn't bloody look small to me, while as far as I was concerned it was every Plague carrying rat that ever existed. Now we can't find the fricking remote control.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Got up at 4.45am and the dog won't get out of bed!
    I just had to physically lift him and shove him out the door!
    You'd think I was killing him the looks I'm getting, but now he knows what I feel like when he gets me up to let him out occasionally at silly o'clock.

At least he can snooze all day, we have a long day ahead of us!

:D Bailey is 6 today - 6!!!! There was a time when we didn't think he'd see 2!

• Advertisement

Jesus H, we just spent an hour and a half catching a mouse in the living room. I thought Toby sounded very excitable when he came in yesterday morning. Mr P was having his dinner while Jazzy was staring at the curtains and the bloody thing dropped off the living room curtains. Every time Mr P pulled out 1 sofa it ran under the other. He'd to pull almost everything out of the living room before he got it and popped it over to the fields.

I'm as much use as a chocolate tea pot where rodents are concerned. He's telling me it's a small mouse, didn't bloody look small to me, while as far as I was concerned it was every Plague carrying rat that ever existed. Now we can't find the fricking remote control.:D

When I was in school, we owned cats and one of the older ones decided to bring a mouse into the house to teach the kitten to hunt :rolleyes: We discovered it just before we had to leave for work and school (coming out of the clothes basket, yuck!) so we decided to leave the cats in the room with the mouse. Thinking the cats would catch the mouse at some point during the day. How naive we were, we came home that afternoon to three cats sprawled along the windowsill, sunning themselves while the mouse sat under a cabinet scared half to death but absolutely fine. Eventually we chased it with a broom out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Swanson REALLY hates this one stray cat. He's usually very friendly with other cats and wants to be best buds but this one cat - instant throat ripping rage.

But anyway, I've had the windows open because it's so warm and Intruder Cat has been coming in our window! And Swanson is constantly on guard now. Always .3 seconds away from a seething ball of claws.

Poor Swanson.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    When I was in school, we owned cats and one of the older ones decided to bring a mouse into the house to teach the kitten to hunt :rolleyes: We discovered it just before we had to leave for work and school (coming out of the clothes basket, yuck!) so we decided to leave the cats in the room with the mouse. Thinking the cats would catch the mouse at some point during the day. How naive we were, we came home that afternoon to three cats sprawled along the windowsill, sunning themselves while the mouse sat under a cabinet scared half to death but absolutely fine. Eventually we chased it with a broom out the door

We think the mouse was under a sofa in the living room since the day before. So all 4 of them would have known it was there but ignored it. I was sitting inches from it when it was up the curtain, without realising it. Thank god I'd left the room before it fell off the curtain, I'd have had a heart attack.

reallyrose wrote: »
    Swanson REALLY hates this one stray cat. He's usually very friendly with other cats and wants to be best buds but this one cat - instant throat ripping rage.

But anyway, I've had the windows open because it's so warm and Intruder Cat has been coming in our window! And Swanson is constantly on guard now. Always .3 seconds away from a seething ball of claws.

Poor Swanson.

Felix does this when he's in a strop or there's a new cat in the neighbourhood. He'll either sit right inside the back gate watching the street for other cats or right outside the cat flap so nothing can get in, so I've to open the kitchen window so our other 3 can get in. He's all happy with himself today though, since he helped trap the mouse last night. He's been very gung ho, chasing toy mice around the floor.:D

We think the mouse was under a sofa in the living room since the day before. So all 4 of them would have known it was there but ignored it. I was sitting inches from it when it was up the curtain, without realising it. Thank god I'd left the room before it fell off the curtain, I'd have had a heart attack.

Mum would have been the same. She had a bit of a phobia of rats and isn't much better with mice so she completely freaks out. She could just about handle the dead ones that they used to leave as presents.

I've gotten uber paranoid about safety in the car after watching crash test videos of harnesses and crates on youtube (whyyyyyyyy?!)

Bailey - in the boot with harness clipped to baby seat loop thing on the back of the passenger seat - ok but I want to switch the harness after seeing the video
    Lucy - in a soft crate between boot and passenger seat and harness clipped to seat belt - not safe will slam into passenger and crate will collapse/break up
    Rebel - secured with seat belt clip to his COLLAR behind me because my friend isn't safety conscious = dead TK and dead Rebel!!

GAH!

I've gotten uber paranoid about safety in the car after watching crash test videos of harnesses and crates on youtube (whyyyyyyyy?!)

Bailey - in the boot with harness clipped to baby seat loop thing on the back of the passenger seat - ok but I want to switch the harness after seeing the video
    Lucy - in a soft crate between boot and passenger seat and harness clipped to seat belt - not safe will slam into passenger and crate will collapse/break up
    Rebel - secured with seat belt clip to his COLLAR behind me because my friend isn't safety conscious = dead TK and dead Rebel!!

GAH!

Oh god, I couldn't watch that. I'm terrified of someone ever crashing into me while I've got Pepper in the car. What did they say about a wire crate in the boot (hatchback with the boot lid thing removed) secured with bungees? If I'm just going a short way for a walk or something, she's got a seatbelt clip attached to a harness. But that's normally just going down the road to the walk so no one's going very fast. One time I actually got to the walk and realised I had put her seatbelt thing on but not mine, clearly I have my priorities right :)

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Oh god, I couldn't watch that. I'm terrified of someone ever crashing into me while I've got Pepper in the car. What did they say about a wire crate in the boot (hatchback with the boot lid thing removed) secured with bungees? If I'm just going a short way for a walk or something, she's got a seatbelt clip attached to a harness. But that's normally just going down the road to the walk so no one's going very fast. One time I actually got to the walk and realised I had put her seatbelt thing on but not mine, clearly I have my priorities right :)

I actually had somebody reverse into me last year and the dogs were in the car - luckily she just hit the corner and they were fine but still scary. I have an suv/crossover and she was in a car so the height difference meant the bumpers took most of the damage - cost over 1k to fix! That's when I decided Lucy had to come out of the boot because she'd either be lying against the back door or crushing poor Bailey.

I'm sure somebody on posted before about being in a bad crash and the dogs were trapped in the crate - it may have just been a wire one? :( Puppy Lucy bent one of our crates quite badly so I know it wouldn't hold up in a crash. I'm hoping to do some work with Lucy and get her sitting in the back seat instead of the soft crate.

I've to get the car serviced now in the next few weeks around the corner and they've just taken a trade in of the next size up - exactly what I want so I'll be very tempted lol!

I recorded this last week for the cat owners - 3 and a half tablets and a treat at the end! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

We moved house last week and Swanson spent the weekend practically physically attached to me. Everywhere I went, he followed, like that one little lamb.

• Advertisement

Shoot you just reminded me that I never called the lamb man!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my poor doggies are so neglected, Elly has resorted to pulling the leaves off my cactus and throwing them around the room to play with.

Someone call Animal Welfare.....:D:o:rolleyes:

I caught Oliver with the can opener, he's so starved he stole it from the open dishwasher!
    I know he can open the food cupboard, but I'd love to know how he was gonna use it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Hmmm. A dilemma for you all- I am pet sitting for the week: 3 dogs plus my own. I don't think the 3 dogs have leads. I've torn the house apart looking for them and can't see them anywhere...owners are away with no means to contact them so I can't ring them to ask.

There's a few nice beaches in the area that I'd love to take them too, but I'm a bit dubious. The dogs are excellently behaved, come when called and ignore everyone around them, clearly very well used to being walked off the lead and never give any hassle, but I just feel better having leads with me even if I don't use them. I've a GSx, a colliex, a jack russellx and a cocker (mine, have a lead for her).

Would ye walk them on a reasonably quiet beach (maybe 5-8 cars parked near) and hope for the best? Am I being overly particular by wishing I had leads?

I think I've damaged ligaments in my foot, going to Dr this evening.
    I did it last week walking my friends dog while she was away, lovely dog, gets on great with mine, but doesn't have much training. By day 4 she was walking nicely with me on lead but got a fright and nearly tripped me, I went over on the side of my foot.

My daughter is away until Friday, so dogs have just got a quick walk to the end of the road, or let off for 5-10 mins at the river, this does not make Oliver happy.
    He woke me at 3am and 6.15am, bored or heard a noise, I'm going to have to come up with a plan, too much pain to walk any more.

An hour of training or playing games, including wrestling a kitten(kitten won) didn't help at all.

Have you tried scent work at all mymo? My two LOVE it and it exhausts them. I was rooting around for something the other day and the two training dummies we use were in a bag (to keep the clove scent from tainting everything! :p) so we had a few rounds for 20-30 mins. Lucy ended up passed out near the end and Bailey wanted to keep searching lol!

Speaking of dummies I bought one the other week when I was getting the vest for Lucy which arrived this morning. Classic case of not reading the measurement before I bought it - I have a tiny 10cm furry dummy now which is more like a cat toy lol!

My problem is that Oliver gets bored, he's not really a dog, he doesn't do fetch, no interest in balls, and if the training isn't fun for him he walks away.

Tibetan terriers are notorious for being stubborn and uncooperative unless they are in the mood.
    I haven't tried scent work at all, but might have a look.
    I hide food sometimes and send him to find it, I must try that tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I love you too, little homicidal lampshade.

25YBzlxl.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Kovu wrote: »
    I love you too, little homicidal lampshade.

Is Kovu the cat ok? Why the cone collar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

ncur wrote: »
    Is Kovu the cat ok? Why the cone collar?

He has a weird reaction that flares up on patches of his skin from time to time. Looks similar to dermatitis but it's from him licking, he gets really bad reactions to ticks and if he gets them anywhere he can lick, he'll do himself more damage than the actual tick. The current patch is on his back leg and just won't heal :(
    So he's been a baldy arse for a while now, he got 6ml of Convenia and has Isaderm gel.

Just took him out for a walk on his leash so he could pee and we went on a bit of a hike across three fields:pac: I had to rescue him by lifting his head for the first 100m or so as he kept faceplanting when the cone dug into the ground. He now knows to throw his head back and trot beside me though......prob not a good thing if he escapes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement