Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So, 3 cats here have now had bouts of cat flu in the last 6 weeks (despite all being vacc'd yearly), one cat has been at vets twice with it, now 3 have some kind of jammy ear thing, cost me another vet visit, and everyone's vaccs are due before Christmas (4 cats, 2 dogs).
    Between that and the kennelling and cat minder fees I'll have shortly, I don't think Father Christmas will be visiting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

By chance I stumbled across the Facebook page of a guy whose staffy had been running loose locally at the same time as a neighbours rabbit and guinea pig were ripped apart in their garden. He's such an irresponsible owner that he has an unneutered male and unspayed female dog, female is now pregnant again and he says he found it hard enough to find homes for the last litter. Sometimes I really think that there should be an exam that people have to pass before they're allowed to have pets. It doesn't look like he's breeding so much as too fcuking thick to get his dogs snipped. It seems highly unlikely that he's going to have his dogs neutered/spayed in the future.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

BSometimes I really think that there should be an exam that people have to pass before they're allowed to have pets.
    Agree 100%!!!:mad: Where were the owners of these 3 the other week - probably in bed on their mid term break while their 'pets' are left to wander into traffic and end up getting pts at the side of the road if they were hit? What if that poor guy on the bike had of fallen off and gotten injured or my poor car that I saved for 5 years to buy was damaged - who would have paid our expenses where there's no way of tracing the owners and no consequences for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Getting ready to go to work, weather is outrageous. My two babies won't go weewee, the puppy stepped out in the rain, held his paw up like he stood in acid and came back inside. Daddy dog wouldn't step over the threshold.

Am i a complete eejit to set the heating to come on for them today? The OH will go mad if he finds out.

Also, so happy because my dog, (was my dads) has started to do his doggy grin again. He hadnt been himself since my dad went, no grinning, no begging for food, no coming over for attention. My brother kept him for about 8 months and sure he had no time for the dog. Since I took
    Him to live with me, he's coming back to himself, slowly. So happy he's happy again

The dogs were back in the park this morning for the first time in a few weeks for a good run around - kitted out in their raincoats and "RogLites" on their harnesses. I was a bit dubious about the light's waterproof claim but it held up to a swim test by Bailey... in the river that's moving very very fast and was about 1 inch short of bursting it's banks :eek: - I spent all my time keeping Lucy away from it and assumed Bailey wouldn't bother going in lol!!! :p

They think my friend's dog has a virus - he was kept in on fluids and painkillers and may be kept in tonight too. My friend and her husband spent the day crying with worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

The dogs woke me up at 9am this morning to go out, which was a nice treat they usually have me awake before 7 :D Well did they think I was the cold hearted cow or what when I opened the door for them! They were disgusted that I'd actually get them to go out in the rain to do their business. Three hours later and I finally convince them to go out and they both start slopping in the puddles in the garden so they had to be called in, pair of brats :rolleyes:

Funny my two have no problems being off lead in the rain but get annoyed if we're just going for an on lead walk and don't want to go out/hide when I get the rain gear out!!

Just heard from my friend - poor Reb had a very bad night :( They think it might be his pancreas now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Just heard from my friend - poor Reb had a very bad night :( They think it might be his pancreas now

:( Poor Rebel. Pancreas problems can make them really, really ill. Hopefully he pulls through this as, if it's pancreatitis, it is manageable... But they'll have to be ultra-strict about his diet, keeping it as low fat as possible.
    Keep us posted :(

My two are the complete opposite, they'd gladly go for a walk in the rain but wouldn't voluntarily go out in it otherwise. They'll be annoying my dad to go for a walk when he comes home :D

Aw no hope rebel will be ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I hope rebel is ok. I always enjoy seeing him in your photos tk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

You know, it's been so, so long since I had contact with a puppy - I had totally forgotten what they were like.
    Part of me, while watching Opie running to the top of the stairs to drop his ball and then fetch it for himself, thought "Wow, he's so full of energy, and clearly very intelligent. Look at him move! Maybe I'll sign him up for agility in a month or so."
    But just now, I turned around to see what all the noise was, to find that he had somehow pulled his rubber ring toy over his head and trap his front paw in it (not small enough to strangle him) and thought "Maybe not..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Poor Rebel :( Hope he gets better quickly.

I am losing the will to live with this weather, it's really, really bad here, the garden is flooded everywhere, the fields are flooded, the local town is flooded and 2 of the roads that go to the beach always flood in this weather, the third leads to a car park that always floods too. I got so soaked this morning that I had to peel off 3 layers of clothing and have a shower just to dry off!!

It's sunny here now but more rain to come. I've been waiting for some free spaces in the carpark outside to free up so I can run over to the other carpark in work and get the car lol! :D

My friend called me there - it IS pancreatitis and he's in a bad way. When her OH went up to see him earlier he didn't even lift up his head or act like he even recognized him he's so bad. Hopefully he'll bounce back and then they can manage his diet. Looking back for months and months he's been off his food - he doesn't ask for it and would only take it if he goes out for a walk and is starving. Even at that he only picks at it so maybe he's had some discomfort and they didn't realize!! The vet he's in is 5 mins from where I work - I want to go and hug him lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It's sunny here now but more rain to come. I've been waiting for some free spaces in the carpark outside to free up so I can run over to the other carpark in work and get the car lol! :D

My friend called me there - it IS pancreatitis and he's in a bad way. When her OH went up to see him earlier he didn't even lift up his head or act like he even recognized him he's so bad. Hopefully he'll bounce back and then they can manage his diet. Looking back for months and months he's been off his food - he doesn't ask for it and would only take it if he goes out for a walk and is starving. Even at that he only picks at it so maybe he's had some discomfort and they didn't realize!! The vet he's in is 5 mins from where I work - I want to go and hug him lol!!

Thinking back, is this the same dog that is on AG because the kennels he goes to insists it's a good food but it runs through him or gives him persistent ear infections? Or am I confusing that with another dog?

Yep that's him. He was also in that same vets for skin scrapings and biopsies earlier this year covered in skin lesions from storage mites! :rolleyes:

Well tk, if ever there was a case for "I told you so", this is it :o
    You tried your best to get them to change his food.
    that is not to take away from the fact thjat I am keeping everything crossed for him. He's a lovely dog, and the owners, although misguidedly, were presumably trying to do their best by him given the "expert" advice they got. If he pulls through, they are going to have to be ultra, ultra careful with him. I have a little lady here with pancreatitits, it's an auto-immune version of it she has, and it's pretty mild. But I'm flippin paranoid about what goes into her gob!

Jasper is the only cat I've known who enjoys having his ears cleaned. We have a little routine, he waits and leads me into my room where I lay down and he sprawls on my shoulder purring while I clean inside his ears gently with a gauze swab. You'd never think he was once a feral kitten.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Fingers crossed for Rebel. It's a week this evening since Bunty died. When doors were closed shut she would push up against them to 'knock', I keep thinking I hear her knocking at the kitchen door but it's just a draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

DBB wrote: »
    Well tk, if ever there was a case for "I told you so", this is it :o You tried your best to get them to change his food.

In fairness though, even if they had taken the advice and changed him on to a different brand of food (or indeed, a home-prepared diet) I imagine he'd still have pancreatitis. It's a shame they didn't investigate earlier why he was so inappetent. Poor laddo, hope he recovers well.

boomerang wrote: »
    In fairness though, even if they had taken the advice and changed him on to a different brand of food (or indeed, a home-prepared diet) I imagine he'd still have pancreatitis. It's a shame they didn't investigate earlier why he was so inappetent. Poor laddo, hope he recovers well.

Ach, I know, that is true. You're right too about them not acting sooner.... When my little lady first developed it, it was her continued inappetance that prompted me to get her bloods checked, so we were onto it pretty quickly, and she's never has a major episode like poor Rebel. I suppose a major episode like his is the first many owners realise there's been trouble bubbling up under the surface for a while :(

• Advertisement

We have thunder here and Alli is terrified of it, Moones not bothered so she's keeping Alli calm. Their both still annoyed I won't let them out the back to mess in the puddles :D

The water meters are being installed in our street since yesterday and the guys are outside our front window now. I thought the cats would be freaked out by all the machinery and noise but they're not fazed at all. Felix is snuggled up beside me snoring away, Poppies on the other side of me, Toby snuggled up on his sofa and as far as I know Jazzy is on the bed keeping Mr Pumpkinseeds company.

I got up at 7 to wash my hair as the water was foul last night and I know it will be bad later on until it's had a few hours to clean. I'm glad we stocked up on bottled water.

Well the park is flooded! Dogs were a bit puzzled lol as to what happened to their river. It was smelly too so Lucy was trying to get closer :p but I wouldn't let them off lead near it. The river is about 2 feet from the top of the second wall they put in to strengthen the old one..that broke in places a few years ago and caused loads of houses in the area to flood so a bit worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sun was shining so took the dogs out....
    I'm now drying by the rad after getting soaked through 3 layers, Oliver tipped up the washing basket to roll in the towels in it!

mymo wrote: »
    Oliver tipped up the washing basket to roll in the towels in it!

Bailey tried to dry his face off all our dry coats that were hanging up yesterday lol... Lucy stood standing with a big puddle dripping out of it then rolled in it! :rolleyes:

Poor Rebel being operated on in the next hour! He hasn't improved at all and they think he has pockets of fluid/an access now. My friend is beside herself with worry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Was walking with my niece who is nearly 5 this morning and we were going past the field where meg is burried when my niece says "i wish life had happy endings and meg could come back". I didn't know what to say to her :(

Poor Rebel being operated on in the next hour! He hasn't improved at all and they think he has pockets of fluid/an access now. My friend is beside herself with worry :(

:(
    C'mon Rebel

DBB wrote: »
    :(
    C'mon Rebel

They had him open for 2 hours examining everything and are now confident that it's a bad bacterial infection - possibly salmonella or ecoli so helpfully this new course of antibiotics will have him back on his feet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We finally have puppies. Five so far, hopefully thats all of them, her scans only showed 3. She's being a fantastic mum so far, she's only young herself, and a scared girl, so proud of what she's done today, and thankfully they were all a reasonable size, I was worried the sire would be a big dog and she'd struggle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement