Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

In the middle of trying to move while working 2 jobs 7 days a week and jobhunting for another job is no fun. Especially when people tell you they'l ring you back and they never do. And when you realise you've gone to college for 3 years doing something you love and now can't get a job in it is a fairly sickening feeling :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Zapperzy wrote: »
    In the middle of trying to move while working 2 jobs 7 days a week and jobhunting for another job is no fun. Especially when people tell you they'l ring you back and they never do. And when you realise you've gone to college for 3 years doing something you love and now can't get a job in it is a fairly sickening feeling :(

A couple of years ago I was off work the week before Christmas and thought it was a good time to move house!
    It was crazy, I don't envy you.
    Hope you find that dream job (or even one one the way to the dream one) soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If it's any help 2 years ago tomorrow I was made redundant...and it's all worked out so have hope! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

taking my elderly dog to the vet at 5pm, to have him looked at cos his waterworks are causing issues/concern (takes ages to pee, and pees in the house) - poor old boy is really showing his age lately. Have cut his walks down to just strolls this week. Ive got permanent butterflies in my tummy when I look at him. Having an elderly dog is soooooooooooooooooo haaaarrrrdddddd.

Chilling here on the sofa with the dogs. Not worth opening a thread to ask this, but some of you guys might have an idea: my youngest terrier now and then will do a sort of 'chattering' with his teeth/mouth. Like humans do when they are shivering. Usually lasts about a minute. Really odd. Showing no signs of cold/temperature/anxiety/excitement. Just at random times. Then it stops and thats it! Any ideas?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

aonb wrote: »
    Chilling here on the sofa with the dogs. Not worth opening a thread to ask this, but some of you guys might have an idea: my youngest terrier now and then will do a sort of 'chattering' with his teeth/mouth. Like humans do when they are shivering. Usually lasts about a minute. Really odd. Showing no signs of cold/temperature/anxiety/excitement. Just at random times. Then it stops and thats it! Any ideas?!?

I haven't a clue but would love to know as well. The last dog I fostered (JRT) did it too. Never appeared to be in pain/uncomfortable/stressed etc so I was stumped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They'll often do it when they become emotionally aroused, especially if they're excited, or anticipating something. Would that describe when ye have noticed it?

DBB wrote: »
    They'll often do it when they become emotionally aroused, especially if they're excited, or anticipating something. Would that describe when ye have noticed it?

For my foster dog, no. He'd do it just lying there chilling on the couch and not really focusing on anything in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

was outside trying to catch up with some planting; been sick with bad headaches etc.but needed to plant seedlings out...YOU know!

circus time...feral chased my big cat boy up a tree then followed him. he usually stays on the ground

wee dog set out to chase feral cat, and collie lit out after wee dog..

just got the dogs sorted - they were still racing up and down by the fence- when the girl cat sneaks out of the house; feral chases her, wee dog sets off after feral,barking, collie follows barking..

one way to exercise the dogs..

it is a good life for them up here, safe from traffic etc. i watch the two home cats, playing as they run off down the lane. siblings, they were wrapped around each other in the womb and sleep tangled together..

soft rain falling...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I heard the teeth chattering is like them tasting a smell iykwim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We took the flannel duvet cover off our bed this week and Toby is unimpressed with the cotton substitute. His face shows how disgruntled he looks when he jumps up on our bed and it's not there. I even put a little fleece blanket on for him and that annoys him even more, even though he sleeps on one on his armchair:rolleyes:

He used to stay with us for hours every night on the bed and come back to bed with me after breakfast, he's only staying for half an hour max now.

We took the flannel duvet cover off our bed this week and Toby is unimpressed with the cotton substitute. His face shows how disgruntled he looks when he jumps up on our bed and it's not there. I even put a little fleece blanket on for him and that annoys him even more, even though he sleeps on one on his armchair:rolleyes:

He used to stay with us for hours every night on the bed and come back to bed with me after breakfast, he's only staying for half an hour max now.

well, you know the solution? Put the lovely flannel duvet cover back on! Immediately! Poor Toby :D sheesh!

anniehoo wrote: »
    For my foster dog, no. He'd do it just lying there chilling on the couch and not really focusing on anything in particular.

No, not excited - emotionally or physically - I think. Seems to be quite random. Cant find an obvious reason, though 'emotional anticipation' as you suggest would be a good reason DBB. Glad someone else has seen this - I have never noticed in any of the other JRTs. I think this particular JRT is a bit 'special needs' :o, the loveliest little chap, but a bit unusual, and not as bright as other JRTs!

Brought old dog to the vet this eve. Hes on antibiotics for 5 days - some blood in his urine, so a precaution. Scheduled for a scan of his bladder next wednesday.

Old vet practice has been taken over by bigger practice in neighbouring town. Didnt see our usual vet who is only working saturdays since takeover. Not too happy about that really, but things change I suppose...

Scan is to see whether growth/stones/cancer could be causing waterworks problem first. Cripes!

Asked vet if surgery would be possible in such an old dog if scan shows something, he was quite positive that Pepper is in pretty good shape for his age, and didnt think surgery would be an issue. Double Cripes!

Jeez, I just went there thinking tablets to sort problem. Last time we were in, old vet said that Pepper could have waterworks prob fixed easily with meds, if things were getting to be an issue. This new vet suggests scan to remove question of whether bladder may be in trouble. THis sounds sensible I think? But in an elderly (16) dog, would the meds first be an easier option? Should I phone the old vet to discuss when he is working tomorrow? Would that be 'ethical'?!?

I think this particular JRT is a bit 'special needs' :o, the loveliest little chap, but a bit unusual, and not as bright as other JRTs!
    Yeah mine too. The sweetest little fella and so quiet for a Jack, but there was just something a little bit "off" about him that I just couldn't put my finger on. :confused: He's gone to be rehomed in the UK so would love to know how he's getting on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

OH has gone to stay with his sister tonight, which means when he comes home tomorrow he's bringing back our new furbaby with him!
    I don't know how I'm going to get through work tomorrow with the excitement :P

Last two nights in a row Max has peed on my bed down at my feet. His wee is really strong smelling too, not sure if that's typical of an unneutered* male or not.
    Looks like a trip to the vets is in order this week now. Not looking forward to that, he doesn't like other people except me and occasionally my oh and definitely doesn't like being picked up :-(

*he will be neutered, I've just been waiting until he was a bit more settled to take him to the vet because the last stray we took was traumatised and it did not go well at all. Also he is an indoor cat and our female is spayed so no chance of babies :)

Last two nights in a row Max has peed on my bed down at my feet. His wee is really strong smelling too, not sure if that's typical of an unneutered* male or not.
    Looks like a trip to the vets is in order this week now. Not looking forward to that, he doesn't like other people except me and occasionally my oh and definitely doesn't like being picked up :-(

*he will be neutered, I've just been waiting until he was a bit more settled to take him to the vet because the last stray we took was traumatised and it did not go well at all. Also he is an indoor cat and our female is spayed so no chance of babies :)

the stink is sadly normal for unneutered toms, as is the marking. if the feral manages to get in this is so!

they are fiercely territorial.

phew!

i now have the cat flap barricaded off; the dead microwave has its uses

Brought old dog to the vet this eve. Hes on antibiotics for 5 days - some blood in his urine, so a precaution. Scheduled for a scan of his bladder next wednesday.

Old vet practice has been taken over by bigger practice in neighbouring town. Didnt see our usual vet who is only working saturdays since takeover. Not too happy about that really, but things change I suppose...

Scan is to see whether growth/stones/cancer could be causing waterworks problem first. Cripes!

Asked vet if surgery would be possible in such an old dog if scan shows something, he was quite positive that Pepper is in pretty good shape for his age, and didnt think surgery would be an issue. Double Cripes!

Jeez, I just went there thinking tablets to sort problem. Last time we were in, old vet said that Pepper could have waterworks prob fixed easily with meds, if things were getting to be an issue. This new vet suggests scan to remove question of whether bladder may be in trouble. THis sounds sensible I think? But in an elderly (16) dog, would the meds first be an easier option? Should I phone the old vet to discuss when he is working tomorrow? Would that be 'ethical'?!?

up to you. i would try the meds first myself in such an old dog and given the advice from a vet you know and trust.

Graces7 wrote: »
    the stink is sadly normal for unneutered toms, as is the marking. if the feral manages to get in this is so!

they are fiercely territorial.

phew!

i now have the cat flap barricaded off; the dead microwave has its uses

There has been another cat hanging around outside lately so maybe in his mind he's "marking" me because it's practically on my feet he goes and I am his person. He slept pressed against me all night.

• Advertisement

There has been another cat hanging around outside lately so maybe in his mind he's "marking" me because it's practically on my feet he goes and I am his person. He slept pressed against me all night.

ah yes that makes sense. or even maybe you have accidentally touched where the newbie has been...

my feral goes through phases of pleading to be let in the house. wails at the door pitifully. but if he gets in he pees and sprays. and my two growl and hiss.

hard to be the one person to so many!;)

Would it be fair though to put an elderly dog through surgery? I know that's easy for me to say since it isn't my dog. I would tend to be led by the vet that knows your dog. The new one is talking about a proceedure that could be expensive and not necessarily the best thing for your dog. As I said though, it's easy to say since it's not my dog. I think I'd check with the old vet first.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Before we started our 4 on the new dry food and there was all the stress and tension between Felix and Toby, Toby was spraying everywhere, including me, twice. The neutering does make a big difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Last time we were in, old vet said that Pepper could have waterworks prob fixed easily with meds, if things were getting to be an issue. This new vet suggests scan to remove question of whether bladder may be in trouble. THis sounds sensible I think? But in an elderly (16) dog, would the meds first be an easier option? Should I phone the old vet to discuss when he is working tomorrow? Would that be 'ethical'?!?

I'd definitely speak to your old vet, it makes complete sense. However I think it's no bad thing to have a 'second opinion'. Ultimately until you have found the underlying cause of the problem you won't definitively know if it can solely be treated by meds.

As far as surgery... that's a tough one. My elderly lady went in to the vets cos I thought she had a tummy ache - ended up having her spleen out. Almost two months home and, crossed fingers, all's well. Very hard decision to weigh up.

But, hopefully, the meds WILL sort the whole problem out.

snoman wrote: »
    I'd definitely speak to your old vet, it makes complete sense. However I think it's no bad thing to have a 'second opinion'. Ultimately until you have found the underlying cause of the problem you won't definitively know if it can solely be treated by meds.

As far as surgery... that's a tough one. My elderly lady went in to the vets cos I thought she had a tummy ache - ended up having her spleen out. Almost two months home and, crossed fingers, all's well. Very hard decision to weigh up.

But, hopefully, the meds WILL sort the whole problem out.

forgive an old lady here but i find younger vets and doctors are often too proactive re tests etc and less reliant on observation and good old fashioned.....doctoring.

ive been twice in hospital the last year after a 30 year gap and technology seems to have taken over. refused many painful invasive tests that were not needful.

it can be too much. i would trust an older more experienced vet- or doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

forgive an old lady here but i find younger vets and doctors are often too proactive re tests etc and less reliant on observation and good old fashioned.....doctoring.

ive been twice in hospital the last year after a 30 year gap and technology seems to have taken over. refused many painful invasive tests that were not needful.

it can be too much. i would trust an older more experienced vet- or doctor.

I agree to some extent but really there's nothing invasive about a scan and it could identify the problem immediately allowing for quicker and more effective treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I got a new job working with birds of prey so exciting!

In worse news I think beau was in a cat fight and got bitten on the face, his left jaw is all swollen but has gone down a lot today. He's eating and drinking fine so hopefully it isn't an abscess or infected. I checked him out and it didn't seem painful when I touched it. I can't afford a vet right now but If it's not gone down more by tomorrow I'll give the vet a call

snoman wrote: »
    I agree to some extent but really there's nothing invasive about a scan and it could identify the problem immediately allowing for quicker and more effective treatment.

is sedation needed and hate to say it but cost..

your way not mine. which is ok of course. and a good vet knows without a scan

pleasant afternoon catching up with one armed gardening behind my new fence while my critters interacted again.

planted garlic and onions,the new bed safe from the cats with a spare piece of net curtain.

more lupin sown, and kale, which will harvest next spring.

cannot find the packet of sweet rocket i bought; frustrating..

off to feed the dogs then sleep

have a lovely evening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

and a good vet knows without a scan

With all due respect graces7, this is an unacceptable generalisation. There are many, many circumstances where a scan (no sedation needed for ultrasounds) will pick up a major problem long before it becomes a major problem, at a point where treatment will either cure or slow down progression.
    Leave it to the vet to "feel" the problem, and the prognosis for the animal can often be very poor indeed as the condition has progressed too far for anything to be done.
    Scans and technology have allowed for far more accurate, and far quicker diagnoses of a wide range of health problems in all animals in many cases, I think it unfair to condemn it in preference to waiting for the vet to "know without a scan".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement