Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I ordered a furminator for Poppy today. I've noticed that when she's pulling her fur out she's nuzzling under to the undercoat and pulling that out. She has no parasites and is absolutely crazyily energetic. Most cats have a crazy half hour at night, she has a crazy couple of hours of mad running around.

All the fur pulling and eating means she has furballs every day, so I'm hoping that by using the furminator we'll be able to reduce the problem. I bought one for Felix and Jazzy a year or so ago, Jazzy's fur is too short for it and Felix despised it so much he'd hiss at us. In the end we gave it to an animal rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I've been thinking of switching the dogs over onto Burns, Moones been on it before. It's just too hard to get into town to pick up select gold. The vets near us stock burns so i'll have to check prices when I'm in with moone in the morning. She was so disgusted she didn't get a full dinner tonight because of her surgery in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sweet peace. home hopefully for five days, after four days of haring about mostly to hospitals. rural living means a lot of travelling with the centralisation of services.

all will be well according to the consultant i finally saw yesterday. i only learned yesterday there was one break and a crush injury - are healing in the miraculous way bones do.

so i finally have a full cast, sky blue fibreglass, and back to opd in two weeks. associated problems are being treated.

so time to settle back and enjoy my critters and the garden. i have my huge long haired boy cat on the bed with me, purring loudly

dogs are complaining at the lack of home cooking! collie looked at me when i gave them dog food with such a reproachful woof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tk123 wrote: »
    I have fleeces and tops that I leave in work so they don't get wrecked with fur :p When I was in hospital the other week my feet were cold, put my socks on then realised they were full of fur and was ashamed so took them off and stayed cold! :roll eyes:
    I buy lots of Sellotape..
    And have gel rollers that the hair sticks to and can be rinsed off, dogs don't shed, but cats make up for it!

My car is outside kitchen window, right against it, this morning there was a dead mouse on my windscreen :o
    I let Ruby in the window before work, must have dropped it on her way in!

I have fleeces and tops that I leave in work so they don't get wrecked with fur :p When I was in hospital the other week my feet were cold, put my socks on then realised they were full of fur and was ashamed so took them off and stayed cold! :roll eyes:

<rant> I need a bigger freezer for the dog meat...and a shed to put it in!!! GAAH!!!!:mad::( </rant>

inside out works with socks... have had cold feet since the wrist broke as cannot get socks on...getting the compression stockings off was bad enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A JRT bit Lucy this morning - like had a mouthful of her side in his mouth. She's fine but I almost gave out to owner - "Oh he's grumpy in the mornings" - leave his lead on him then FFS so he can't run over to other dogs?! Only that Bailey was distracted he would have given out to him for messing with her! :mad::mad:
    The people with reactive dogs in our park expect everyone else's dogs to be on lead so theirs can run free snapping at us dogs OR they get pi$$ed off when our dogs bark back at theirs and then praise them for standing barking at us?! GAaaaaaaaaaaaH!

:confused:rry
    A JRT bit Lucy this morning - like had a mouthful of her side in his mouth. She's fine but I almost gave out to owner - "Oh he's grumpy in the mornings" - leave his lead on him then FFS so he can't run over to other dogs?! Only that Bailey was distracted he would have given out to him for messing with her! :mad::mad:
    The people with reactive dogs in our park expect everyone else's dogs to be on lead so theirs can run free snapping at us dogs OR they get pi$$ed off when our dogs bark pen back at theirs and then praise them for standing barking at us?! GAaaaaaaaaaaaH!

in many cases the dogs are reflecting their owners attitudes...

just had the men from the council here taking water samples after the illegal slurry episode last month. dogs are hyper after 4 days much in and the barking was ferocious. assured the men that no they could not open the door!

when the men were outside the fence, i let the dogs out. of course they raced to the fence in full cry, but i was proud of them as when i called them they raced back to me immediately.

later will go out and throw the ball for a while. till they cry enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Glad you're starting to feel better Graces.

Bad side to today is I got refused a loan for college till I get a part time job (helpful if employers called back to say yes or no!) and probably not entitled to a mature student grant , back to the drawing board!

On a good note I haven't received a call from the vet so I'm assuming Moones surgery went good, I'll be picking her up in a few hours, her chicken has been defrosting over night ready for when she gets home. I took Alli for a long two hour walk down to the river and chilled out on our own for a while. She's now chilling out chewing a huge raw hide :)

Edit: Moone has to stay in the vets over night as the vet got an emergency call out so she hasn't had her surgery yet, she'll definetly be mad at me now!

Whispered wrote: »
    Glad you're starting to feel better Graces.

thanks! hoping the consultant is right this time too. went prepared to stay and so thankful to get home.

• Advertisement

SingItOut wrote: »
    Bad side to today is I got refused a loan for college till I get a part time job (helpful if employers called back to say yes or no!) and probably not entitled to a mature student grant , back to the drawing board!

On a good note I haven't received a call from the vet so I'm assuming Moones surgery went good, I'll be picking her up in a few hours, her chicken has been defrosting over night ready for when she gets home. I took Alli for a long two hour walk down to the river and chilled out on our own for a while. She's now chilling out chewing a huge raw hide :)

ah so sorry

waiting is hard.
    my worst was the day one of my rescues - litter abandoned outside ards friary so i took one and found a home locally for the other two - went in to be spayed,

was sure it was a she, then one of my other cats jumped up and presented her backside to my face and i realised i had made a mistake.

when i got to the vets, they were all grinning at me! couldnt wait to tell me my error.so embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm off today and the sun is shinning!

Yay!

Just picked up moone, she couldn't get out of the crate in the vets fast enough! The secretary said Moones been dying to go home and wouldn't eat or drink anything for them, she's so stubborn :D she didn't get a cone though so trying to convince her not to lick her stitches is gonna be fun :(

Ah glad she's ok!! I've heard of people putting babygros on dogs after they've been spayed! :pac: Definitely going with keyhole for Lucy - one stitch and no hassle! Poor Bailey would probably move out if Lucy arrived with a cone on - he's terrified of them !

I actually have a dog jumper on her to cover it haha she ate a big bowl of pasta and chicken and is now fast asleep on the sofa :)

wild wet windy day...turned a corner wrist wise and enjoyed some craft work...wee crochet popcorn owls needing attached to keyrings for kids to hang off their backpacks etc

dogs watched closely - oh those huge brown eyes!- as i hacked up a raw chicken...stewed with carrots ready for their evening meal...on the range as i needed to light the fire

dare not look at my garden...poor broad beans and peas have had a battering

have a lovely saturday evening; off to bed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

OMG. Max has decided that the greatest game ever invented is jumping on/attacking feet under the covers. He's none to gentle about it either, it's a big clompy ungraceful jump but it makes him so, so happy. So because of this, my nights 'sleep' last night consisted of sleep, Max attacking, OH screaming in pain because Max is putting his paws *under* the covers, me calling Max over for a hug, settling him down to sleep and then repeated about 5 times :pac:
    Couldn't shut him out the room because the cats don't like us shutting them out the room and jump at the door handles.

There's a cat in the neighborhood been hanging around. We think she was part of Max's litter because (s)he looks just like him, only longer haired and used to hang around with him before we adopted him (she wears a collar). She comes tot he house on an almost daily basis to see him, but Cinnamon has taken an extreme dislike to her. Cinnamon liked George (a stray we fed last summer but had put down due to illness) and tolerates (aka ignores) Max but she hates this cat, they had a massive blow up of a fight through a window on friday. Howling and hissing and smacking at the glass.

Our cats have all switched sleeping places again. It's funny how they go through phases of favourite napping spots. There's always fierce competition for the old battered armchair in the kitchen, it gets the afternoon sun until sun down so is lovely and warm.

opened the door earlier to find my feral camping on the doorstep. he goes missing in bad weather, being the gypsy he is and not trusting brick walls.

so the bad weather has clearly gone thankfully.

well before 7 am, had walked the dogs along the lane, fed everyone and harvested a good quantity of purple sprouting broccoli.

then had a good stretch as one does and encountered some painful experiential learning that tendons heal less well than bones....quiet sunday here now..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Graces7 wrote: »
    opened the door earlier to find my feral camping on the doorstep. he goes missing in bad weather, being the gypsy he is and not trusting brick walls.

so the bad weather has clearly gone thankfully.

well before 7 am, had walked the dogs along the lane, fed everyone and harvested a good quantity of purple sprouting broccoli.

then had a good stretch as one does and encountered some painful experiential learning that tendons heal less well than bones....quiet sunday here now..

I have lots of purple sprouting brocolli too Graces it's delicious! My littlest BC has taken to jumping at the cup stick when I'm throwing the ball today he leaped, all four paws off the ground at once like a spring lamb. (I guess that's another reason he's called a sheepdog)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We went swimming at the canine country club. It was great. I'm so wrecked. The dogs are passed out asleep.

Moone has been extra narky towards Alli since she came home, she won't let Alli sleep on her bed, on alli's own bed and even growls at her for walking past! Poor Alli is then hiding behind the sofa, hopefully moone lightens up when she gets her stitches out

Does anyone know about horses - would they lie down like this normally ie on a mild enough morning in Dublin (the link says it was a hot day) - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grey_horse_lying_down_in_field.jpg

The reason I ask is that I passed 3 horses this morning lying on grass at the side of an estate - 2 were flat out like that but the other was more sitting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

yes, they will lie like this - if you look at groups of horses in a field, there is invariably ONE horse standing v.close by/alert, while the others lie down like this. Foals/yearlings will lie like this a lot too.

A horse would not typically lie down like your photo when on its own. Unless it was unwell or totally exhausted.

(Bit worrying when you say 'on the side of an estate' - did they look like they were in bad condition/poor health? :confused:)

I was on the other side of the road so I didn't get a good luck at them. I think there was one bigger one alert and the other two were smaller and lying down so sounds normal from what you say. I'll keep an eye out for them later though. Normally there's one or two tied up to railings there :mad:

It's odd how some cats can spend ages in the sun and others can't really take it at all. Toby was on our bed with my husband for 11 hours. We've got a black out blind and black out curtains in our room since my husband works nights 2 weeks out of 4.

The other 3 love it and could lie on in the sun for hours. Then come in and sprawl on the cold floors and go back out again. The house is very stuffy as the next door neighbour had someone painting the exterior of the house and he's using some kind of bonding chemical or something, the smell of it is a bit overpowering. Toby's gone back upstairs to sprawl on the landing since I've opened the windows up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Does anyone know about horses - would they lie down like this normally ie on a mild enough morning in Dublin (the link says it was a hot day) - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Grey_horse_lying_down_in_field.jpg

The reason I ask is that I passed 3 horses this morning lying on grass at the side of an estate - 2 were flat out like that but the other was more sitting up?

AFAIK they lay like that for rem sleep, and one in the group usually stays awake while others sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Let Blue and Umi into the garden for the first time today :) my nerves!

I just realised that Toby has been with us for a year:eek: I don't know where that year has gone.

• Advertisement

We now have a paw print shaped hair catcher in the bath because **somebody** keeps rolling in poo and needing a bath!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement