Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I heard Felix trying to bury something in the hall earlier, when I went to see what it was he'd peed on the catnip fish by the cupboard in the hall and was trying to bury the pee, he hasn't done that for a while, maybe it's because Mollys' not here. I don't know why he sprays and then tries to bury it. He used to do it a lot at one point. It's not a uti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

The stray cat I had spayed a few weeks ago seems to be missing, haven't seen her around in the last week or two. She does always go off wandering during the day but seemed to sleep in the shed nearly every night but she hasn't even been in the shed at night. Have a bad feeling about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't know why I find this stuff so endlessly fascinating, but I do! I love the idea of an organism whose sole mission is to get itself into another animal and once there (well at least until the arrival of modern anti-helminthics) it's safe and fed for evermore. It also intrigues me how they are hardwired to take a certain pathway through the circulatory system and internal organs to settle where they will reside - and how if they are ingested by anything other than the target host, they get lost!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03vrwj8/Infested!_Living_with_Parasites/

PS If you're on google Chrome you can download a handy free extension called Hola so you can watch BBC iplayer. :)

Zapperzy wrote: »
    The stray cat I had spayed a few weeks ago seems to be missing, haven't seen her around in the last week or two. She does always go off wandering during the day but seemed to sleep in the shed nearly every night but she hasn't even been in the shed at night. Have a bad feeling about it :(

Aw jeez. Maybe she'll turn up again Zapperzy. I feed a little group of four ferals and sometimes weeks pass without me seeing one or two individuals. Then when I'm getting REALLY worried they invariably turn up!

Try not to worry. At least she's not being hounded by toms, thanks to you. :):):) That's really kicking off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Nala is going to be a poo donor! Apparently the poo from a healthy dog can help a dog suffering from gastric problems. It's going to be the first time in ireland it's been done with a dog but the vet has had a lot of success with horses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

nala2012 wrote: »
    Nala is going to be a poo donor! Apparently the poo from a healthy dog can help a dog suffering from gastric problems. It's going to be the first time in ireland it's been done with a dog but the vet has had a lot of success with horses!

And I know the dog that is getting Nalas poo:D. He's a beauty, a lovely handsome tall setter but always suffered with digestive problems. And when he was on dry food he was plagued with ear infections. He's improved massively with raw food, but hopefully now with Nalas poo he'll get the good bacteria he needs.

I hope she turns up safe and soon Zapperzy, you never know, she might have found a back up home too. I know 2 of mine visit neighbours.

I ordered some stuff from Amazon but forgot to get the powdered L Lysine, so I had to get the tablet version from a pharmacy. As I was standing in the kitchen grinding up a few days worth with a pestle and mortar, I wondered if anyone would believe that the little parcels of foil wrapped white powder were a supplement for the cat and not cocaine:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I ordered some stuff from Amazon but forgot to get the powdered L Lysine, so I had to get the tablet version from a pharmacy. As I was standing in the kitchen grinding up a few days worth with a pestle and mortar, I wondered if anyone would believe that the little parcels of foil wrapped white powder were a supplement for the cat and not cocaine:D

iherb is great for supplements! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm doing a deep clean of the house as we are having people over, I didn't realise just how many little pee stains there are around the place. I guess Dude isn't as good as I thought :(

• Advertisement

I'm in shock, Jazzy let me rub his tummy 5 times today, he has been with us for 5 years and he's never let me do it before:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I have my 3 koi inside at the moment due to the weather and When doing a deep clean of the fish tank I take them out and put them into another tank to preserve their old water. So I was using the shower head over the bath to wash the sides of the tank, Alli decided she would help and jumped into the tub. So on top of grubby fish goo I was left with long black and white dog hair to scrub off! Alli just doesn't realise her "help" isn't appreciated sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I brought the dogs for a short walk earlier to the river, but it's just mud at the moment down there, the car park was empty, and full of sticks, so I tried fetch again.
    5+ years and Oliver brought me a stick back at last!
    Just the once out of 60 or 70 throws, and only about 15 actual fetches, to within 5meters of me (he mostly runs off in the general direction, runs around, sniff stick or stands over it and wags his tail, then runs off) but he did actually return to my side and drop the stick once.
    I am happy.

Dogs snoring on the sofa beside me now, Tiffi is really loud!

WE DID IT!! :D:D Lucy is getting too heavy to lift in and out (she won't get out and wants to sleep instead lol) of the car... Now this pup will jump up on anything except getting in to the car!! During the week I started out with a cushion, treats and a clicker and starting shaping until I got her to stand up on the cushion. This evening I brought the step in - she was hesitant at first but she started stepping on it, then I raised it on box and once she was happy getting up we went out to the car.. At first she wasn't sure but after a few goes started getting into the car!! :D My back will be glad lol! :D

The Sona L-Lysine tablets are a pain to crush - they're like bullets! :P

I get powdered L-Lysine from iherb in the States. Works out about fifteen or sixteen euro including delivery for a 1lb tub. I'd say that's cheaper than Amazon? That's probably more Lysine than you'll ever need, though! :D

boomerang wrote: »
    The Sona L-Lysine tablets are a pain to crush - they're like bullets! :P

I get powdered L-Lysine from iherb in the States. Works out about fifteen or sixteen euro including delivery for a 1lb tub. I'd say that's cheaper than Amazon? That's probably more Lysine than you'll ever need, though! :D

Don't forget to claim your freebies when you order. I always keep my order below €23 and pick the €4 shipping to avoid customs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was on the beach today and a lovely GR came over to say hello to ours, the owner called him back but he didn't come immediately - so his owner came over and he gave him a whip of his lead, hard:mad::mad:. Myself and my friend both shouted at him to stop and he basically told us to fcuk off and mind our own business and to control our dogs!! None of which would go near him with him wielding his lead. His wife looked mortified. The dog got away then and came straight over to me when I called him nicely, I asked if they wanted to come and get their dog while I had control of him and they just walked off, expecting their dog to follow eventually.

I was literally shaking with anger. I also called him something rude. I can't actually remember exactly what it was because I was so mad. Small man acting the big bully didn't enjoy getting given out to by two women.

W@nker! At least you said something - I'm always too furious to speak! Still annoyed that I didn't say anything to that tool who shoved Lucy a while back when she was sitting at the edge of the path waiting to play with my friend not paying any attention to his dog - rather than lead the dog around he shoved Lucy to get her to move and then the dog lunged and snapped at her... If he was in any way worried the dog might snap he shouldn't have even been that close to Lucy in the first place. :mad:

tk123 wrote: »
    W@nker! At least you said something - I'm always too furious to speak! Still annoyed that I didn't say anything to that tool who shoved Lucy a while back when she was sitting at the edge of the path waiting to play with my friend not paying any attention to his dog - rather than lead the dog around he shoved Lucy to get her to move and then the dog lunged and snapped at her... If he was in any way worried the dog might snap he shouldn't have even been that close to Lucy in the first place. :mad:

It was like an automatic reaction, he hit the dog and the pair of us just shouted "DON'T HIT HIM!!" at the same time. And then the pair of trying to tell him no wonder he won't come back if that's what happens to him. I'd say he was surprised that he was called out, he looked a bit confused and then told us to fcuk off. I felt sorry for the wife, she didn't say a word - either because she agreed with us - or she was afraid to. :(

• Advertisement

I just baked 21 smarties cookies for myself, I may have just given myself diabetes, that didn't include the raw dough I ate :eek:

I just baked 21 smarties cookies for myself, I may have just given myself diabetes, that didn't include the raw dough I ate :eek:

Sharing is caring you know... Hint hint :pac:

Sharing is caring you know... Hint hint :pac:

I actually could wrap some up and send them to you in the post but health & safety wise it probably wouldn't be the best idea :P But health wise for me it probably is a good idea, it'd be less for me to eat :p

Every year for Lent(not for religious reasons), my husband gives up booze and I give up booze and junk food. Just as well this coming weekend is the last one before then. You wouldn't believe the amount of junk food I gobbled my way through:o Then it gets to Sunday and I do the old 'I hate my body' thing:D

The weirdest thing happened yesterday. I was in the kitchen ironing and my husband was in the living room. All of a sudden there was frantic meowing. We both ran into the hall to see if one of the cats was in trouble and we went around the house checking, but all of ours were snug and settled.

The thing is I'm at home most days and I'm sure it wasn't one of ours, even though it sounded like it was in the house:confused: We checked out the back and the front and there was no sign of a cat. There aren't many cats around here, and few of them would risk the wrath of Toby. I was worried about it all evening then.

Anyone here give sweet potatoes to their dogs? How do ye cook them? Do you have to peel them or can they eat the skins?

Anyone here give sweet potatoes to their dogs? How do ye cook them? Do you have to peel them or can they eat the skins?

I usually chop them up and stick them in the oven if I'm baking something else, I always leave the skins on. :)

Peach and cream won't leave me alone today. There must have been catnip in the washing machine when I washed the hoodie I'm wearing as the 2 of them are glued to my shoulders. It's like I have a pair of parrots instead of cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

I I'm officially a failed fosterer :(:D:D though I think I knew that would happen from day 1 :)
    I need to change cars.... was looking at a ford focus C Max... nice big boot for 2 doggies :).

Edited to add; I should clarify it's a hatch back, lest anyone thinks I'm putting them in a closed boot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Tea Tree wrote: »
    I I'm officially a failed fosterer :(:D:D

Congratulations! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement