Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who you thought would be a Superstar

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

gimmick wrote: »
    They tried to pull the trigger with him in around 1998/9. He came back as a heel and absolutely nobody cared. No heat whatsoeevr towards him. That said, had they done so around 1993/4 I am sure it would have been a different story.

yeah i wasn't really watching at that time but i've heard reports that he was horrendous.

but when he was main eventing with michaels he was putting on great matches and he deserved a run having been carrying luger in that tag team for ages - shame diesel and himself never really had that big blow out match following his heel turn on him - but it never happenend.

alsways though he was one of those who could be relied upon to always have solid mathes and frequently made those less talented look good.

so in a way i'm glad i didnt see his return run as it would've been hard to watch - anotehr great talent ruined by drugs - so sick of that cliche:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

brian pillman and shane douglas for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bulldog never really had the special charisma or promo skills needed to be a consistent main eventer in WWF.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bulldog never really had the special charisma or promo skills needed to be a consistent main eventer in WWF.

yeah his promo's were poor alright but i always thought he had plenty of charisma - i used to think he was one cool motherfuker especially when he cut the hair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Around the time Lashey jumped through he cage to flatten Umaga (RIP) I thought they would super dooper super stars of wrestling for years to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5VLfsJYK4&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Around the time Lashey jumped through he cage to flatten Umaga (RIP) I thought they would super dooper super stars of wrestling for years to come

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ5VLfsJYK4&feature=related

Holy crap! :eek: How have I never seen that spot before?! Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Nearly forgot.

Ken shamrock.
    Thought he would be hugh. Poor on the Mic but with the right manager (like they did with Lesner) he could have been bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Hercule wrote: »
    Nathan jones as a monster heel on looks alone - never understood how they didnt make that work.
    They were trying. He did alright with Taker but then they realised he wasn't ready and sent him to OVW. Brought him back as The Colossus of Boggo Road" as a tough heel. Eventually quit 5 months later during a Smackdown tour due to the hectic schedule.
    No showed his first booking after that, retied from wrestling after the next booking.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm sure bringing Nathan Jones up way before he was ready was a big factor. He was supposed to tag with Taker at WMXIX against Big Show and A-Train but he was so bad they did the injury angle at the PPV so it was 2-on-1. They reduced his performance to a run-in at the end but he still managed to concuss big show with a roundhouse kick.

At least he was able to find a career in hollywood (Troy springs to mind) :) Ha, much like Kurrgan (Sherlock Holmes)

awh so many memories coming back now.

yeah i really thought shamrock would've made it but man he just kept getting in his own way and sad as it is to admit i think he'll end up dying in the ring or an octagon somewhere - fighting guys half his age for chump change is quite frankly nonsense and by the time he realises it it'll be too late for him.

rikishi looked to have broken through the glass ceiling with his inclusion in the armageddon 6 man.

ahmed johnson i thought would have gone on to dominate ( hah see what i did there) (sorry) the WWF but agin got in his own way - but vince loved him and he was being built up as this massive beast that no one could handle.

pilman had it all before his accident. fantastic on the mike - his promo in ecw was epic.

shane douglas - savage in the ring - quality on the mike - horrible character - now another bitter has been.

matt hardy - actually thought he'd make his way to the main event eventually - when not on something is actually decent promo man although a bit predictable and boring in the ring - although seems to be bringingin new moves and style in TNA so good luck to him.

ok someone has to point out the obvious - never world champ but absolute legend - Ricky the dragon steamboat

sorry apparently he was an NWA champ - according to Wiki - but was fiercely held down by vince et al

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MR. KENNEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost his push by being an idiot. Had great potential to be a megastar but now he's at TNA that hardly anybody watches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dizzya

MR. KENNEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost his push by being an idiot. Had great potential to be a megastar but now he's at TNA that hardly anybody watches.

Seriously?

Kennedy didn't lose out because he was an idiot. He lost out because of Randy "nobody gets over" Orton. If you do remember correctly, Kennedy was fired because he was working too stifly with Orton in a match back in Denver. He lost MiTB through injury and really lost his WWE career through injury. Not because he was an idiot.

Definitely MVP as others have said.

Very good on the mic and seemed to be always improving in the ring.

I thought after his feud with Matt Hardy he would go on to be star but it never happened.

Turning him face was definitely a big mistake.

A bit further back.

I thought when Test was feuding with Shane McMahon back in 99 (I think it was over Stephanie IIRC) that he would go on to be a star after.

Definitely MVP as others have said.

Very good on the mic and seemed to be always improving in the ring.

I thought after his feud with Matt Hardy he would go on to be star but it never happened.

Turning him face was definitely a big mistake.

A bit further back.

I thought when Test was feuding with Shane McMahon back in 99 (I think it was over Stephanie IIRC) that he would go on to be a star after.

Test and MVP, too excellent examples. MVP was an amazing heel in my opinion. Then they buried him completly with that huge losing streak

Also, R.I.P Andrew "Test" Martin

I think it's fairer to say he never reached his potential in WWE for a multitude of reasons :

1- Multiple injuries at unfortunate times (late 2005. mid 2006. Misdiagnosis post-WM24, May '07)
    2- Being an idiot (getting caught in the Signature Pharmacy Scandal - just after going on national TV defending WWE re: Benoit/Steroids-- Sept '07)
    3- Having an awful run in WWE after being drafted from his great initial run on SmackDown (combination of his own fault and WWE Creative)
    4- Randy Orton (and John Cena, who also complained about him) getting him fired

A smaller point, but the guy's an idiot in interviews too; google search him and his interview with the UK The Sun.

It's like the guy ran under multiple ladders holding black cats under his arms. How he managed not to be world champion...the dude's had more misfortune than Lemony Snicket.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think it's fairer to say he never reached his potential in WWE for a multitude of reasons :

1- Multiple injuries at unfortunate times (late 2005. mid 2006. Misdiagnosis post-WM24, May '07)
    2- Being an idiot (getting caught in the Signature Pharmacy Scandal - just after going on national TV defending WWE re: Benoit/Steroids-- Sept '07)
    3- Having an awful run in WWE after being drafted from his great initial run on SmackDown (combination of his own fault and WWE Creative)
    4- Randy Orton (and John Cena, who also complained about him) getting him fired

A smaller point, but the guy's an idiot in interviews too; google search him and his interview with the UK The Sun.

It's like the guy ran under multiple ladders holding black cats under his arms. How he managed not to be world champion...the dude's had more misfortune than Lemony Snicket.

But Edge was in that scandal. Nothing happened to him, so that's in no way to blame

By that point Edge was already multiple time world champion. Same with Batista. Anyone that wasn't a world champion was in the firing line.

If you want further proof of getting suspended for illegal narcotics, look at Regal's KOTR push. (or more accurately watch how it vanished)

By that point Edge was already multiple time world champion. Same with Batista. Anyone that wasn't a world champion was in the firing line.

If you want further proof of getting suspended for illegal narcotics, look at Regal's KOTR push. (or more accurately watch how it vanished)

Regal was never in line for a push as such. He has always been a WWE Midcarder. He held the IC title for a while when he was accompanied by Layla. But he has always been one of the most respected WWE Superstars, but one of the oldest by 2008. So he was never going to be a World Champ or whatever

Whilst I agree that he was quite old and always been a midcarder, this was the biggest push of his WWE career. He was RAW GM and was doing angles with Cena and Triple H, turning off the lights to RAW and such. He then won KOTR and then 3 weeks later, the Pharmacy scandal hit. He was out for 2 months and returned to feud with Jamie Noble. Not exactly where he left off.

The point being that wellness policy violations kills the pushes of non-world champions. Much like Ken Kennedy, who went from being booked to beat the Undertaker and win the world title on SmackDown to being in the tag/IC division on RAW.

Whilst I agree that he was quite old and always been a midcarder, this was the biggest push of his WWE career. He was RAW GM and was doing angles with Cena and Triple H, turning off the lights to RAW and such. He then won KOTR and then 3 weeks later, the Pharmacy scandal hit. He was out for 2 months and returned to feud with Jamie Noble. Not exactly where he left off.

The point being that wellness policy violations kills the pushes of non-world champions. Much like Ken Kennedy, who went from being booked to beat the Undertaker and win the world title on SmackDown to being in the tag/IC division on RAW.

Brought back a ton of memories about the Lights switching off :D

Also, very valid points. I know when I have been beaten ;)

• Advertisement

I thought Regal's push after KOTR was excellent, actually had me staying up late just to watch Raw live and see what happened.

I thought Regal's push after KOTR was excellent, actually had me staying up late just to watch Raw live and see what happened.

Same, I loved getting up for RAW in 08. My all-time favourite year of wrestling

:) Ya I was never a huge Regal fan but I respect him a lot. It's such a shame he has so many physical/drug problems :(

I have a question for ya : Jeff Hardy was a massive star in 2009 but repeatedly shot himself in the foot. Do you think the very thing that makes him endearing to fans (i.e. being a constant fcuk up and a weirdo) is the very thing holding him back? Like if he cleaned up and became reliable (like Matt Hardy was in WWE) he wouldn't be half as popular?

I have a question for ya : Jeff Hardy was a massive star in 2009 but repeatedly shot himself in the foot. Do you think the very thing that makes him endearing to fans (i.e. being a constant fcuk up and a weirdo) is the very thing holding him back? Like if he cleaned up and became reliable (like Matt Hardy was in WWE) he wouldn't be half as popular?
    Naw, kids loved Hardy. He was the next best thing to Cena and Mysterio. Whenever one of them was injured they could always rely on Hardy. The entrance, the outfit, the facepaint.
    If he came back now though as Jeff Fatty they wouldn't want him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the miz ;) oh yea current wwe champion and global superstar :D

haters gonna hate

the miz is awesome

:) Ya I was never a huge Regal fan but I respect him a lot. It's such a shame he has so many physical/drug problems :(

Yep, I really think that him being the constant ****-up brought fans. I mean, look at the end of 08. Eg. Armageddon. People were just like finally! I mean, we all knew it was going to happen evantually, but it was still great to see. I mean, I marked out

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Christian back in 2005. Still amazes me that WWE screwed it up. He had main event heat and talent. I always used to think Test would be a big star back in 2000. I suppose he had plenty of chances, just never got over.

Advertisement