Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who you thought would be a Superstar

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Over the last number of years some wrestlers came along that you thought would be future main event players that never reached that leave weather it be from the creative side, failing drug tests or some like Carlito just wanting it handed to them and not giving it there all in the ring, and bad attitudes backstage. Who were these superstars or divas that you thought would make it and didn’t and what in your opinion is the reason they didn’t. For me its Chris Masters although he might still turn into a main event player and I hope he does. Back at the start of 05 when he made his debut with the master lock challenge along with his physic and entrance I would have put my house on him being a future world champion. Then late 05 he starts to get a push into the main event with the triple treat submission match with Kurt Angle and Cena on RAW. He was also in the EC at new years revolution and even had a PPV match with HBK. I think when he fail the drug test for a second that signalled the end of The Master Piece.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I thought M.V.P was gonna be huge but he never got any-sort of push to take him out of mid-level card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I always thought Chris Harris had huge breakout babyface potential but we all know where that went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Christian & Shelton Benjamin I thought were dead certs for major success. Specially Shelton, he had so much talent and pulled off some awesome moves. After that first Money in the Bank match, I was certain he would be WWE Champion by the time the next Wrestlemaina came around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

The Masterpiece, a particular favourite on here :pac:

I thought Bobby Lashley was going to be huge. Drew McIntyre looked like he was going to be pushed to the moon too at one stage, although there's still time for him yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

K Kwik/R Truth.
    As K Kwik i feckin loved him. Then he came back (i know he was in tna. Meh) as r truth, and i couldnt believe it was the same guy.

• Advertisement

Actually I gotta say Jack Swagger as well. I know he won the Heavyweight title, but look what has happened since!! He was gearing up to be the new Kurt angle and had so much potential, speech impediment and all

CMpunked wrote: »
    K Kwik/R Truth.
    As K Kwik i feckin loved him. Then he came back (i know he was in tna. Meh) as r truth, and i couldnt believe it was the same guy.

"...........Road Dogg and K-Kwik Gettin' Rowdy......" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

In 2005 I thought Christian was set for stardom and couldn't imagine WWE could screw that up. I also thought Shelton Benjamin had the natural ability to make it big.

Kenny Dykstra is another guy I was sure was going to go on and become a talent for the future but it wasn't to be. I even remember Bret singling him out as a guy that impressed him.
    Actually I gotta say Jack Swagger as well. I know he won the Heavyweight title, but look what has happened since!! He was gearing up to be the new Kurt angle and had so much potential, speech impediment and all

I think Swagger will become a star. I feel he just got the title way too soon. I'd be very surprised if he's not a main eventer in 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought Sean O' Haire was going to be a mega-star when he emarked on his singles career a few years back.

I think Swagger will become a star. I feel he just got the title way too soon. I'd be very surprised if he's not a main eventer in 18 months.

Hmmmmm, Jack Swagger vs. Sheamus for the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania 29???

Lets start the Facebook campaign now...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hav'nt watched the wrestling in a few years but when scott hall and kevin nash came back in 03/4 in the guise of the nWo, i would have thought one of them at least would have played a bigger part in future wwe storylines instead of the usual fade out! wonder where they are now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Rebecca Knox by Diva standards at least. She had charisma (FELLA), the look and Regal, Malenko & Finlay would probably lover her mat skills.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    I thought Sean O' Haire was going to be a mega-star when he emarked on his singles career a few years back.

Too bad he was a sub-par wrestler and couldnt cut a promo in front of a live crowd. :pac:

Hav'nt watched the wrestling in a few years but when scott hall and kevin nash came back in 03/4 in the guise of the nWo, i would have thought one of them at least would have played a bigger part in future wwe storylines instead of the usual fade out! wonder where they are now?

Didnt Nash win the World Heavyweight title and have a long feud with HHH??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Nash was in the Royal Rumble a few weeks back, Hall.... pick a bar, any bar :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

seriously? fcuk. well i did say i hadnt watched it in a while, 4/5 years now id say! im some gob****e! :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I thought Test would be a world champion; although not great verbal skills; they were ok, plus he was really tall and jacked. And Shane McMahon loved him. He kept getting a push but then it was stalled whenever it was time to pull the trigger. Rumour was Shane was gonna bring in Test as WCW Champion....

I thought Elijah Burke would be a big deal in WWE. He had really decent promo skills/aura and lead the New Breed. But that wasn't to be. At least he's doing better in TNA (well, not the current fued but in general lol)

I loved Jeff Jarrett when he came back to the WWF, 1st as the nWa Champion with Jim Cornette (the back and forth with Owen Hart was great -- a feud that never materialised) and also his "Don't Piss Me Off" wifebeater gimmick was awesome. Whenever he P'ed off Austin, that was it for his WWF career. At least he was able to get the world title in WCW and start up TNA. If only he "got" pro-wrestling :confused::p

When I saw Kennedy initially on SmackDown I thought he'd be a World Champion. Then came a poor stint on RAW, and again on SmackDown, and multiple unfortunately-timed events (misdiagnosed injury, Pharmacy scandal etc)....Orton got him sh!t-canned and that was it.

MVP I wasn't fully behind but everyone thought he'd be a big star a few years ago. Then he made a crack at a wellness policy doctor and WWE used it as an excuse to bury the aging wrestler....then he left WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Lashley,I pretty much thought he was going to be the next incarnation of John Cena (ie:irritating white meat,mega pushed babyface)

Test-He had all the tools needed,tragic how life turned out for him in the end.

I always thought that Nathan Jones could have gone on to become a decent upper card heel too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I thought M.V.P was gonna be huge but he never got any-sort of push to take him out of mid-level card.
    This. I always thought MVP was a dead cert to be World Champ.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'll never really understand what happened to Braden Walker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I know he's in TNA but Samoa Joe,jesus what happened to him yeah he's gotten derailed but he's let himself go & is just happy to sign on with Tna such a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Mordecai - Supposed to be the 'new' Undertaker wasn't he?!

Well he did get buried..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Charisteas wrote: »

Well he did get buried..........

He didnt buried at all he was just removed from TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

"...........D-O-DOUBLE-G and K-Kwik Gettin' Rowdy......" :p

fyp [/pedant]

I still think kennedy could come back to WWE and be a star, i've always been a huge fan of his!

I'll +1 to chris masters, he was booked as a monster at the start of his career, then one f*ck up or another and he is resigned to superstars every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Shelton around the time of his HHH feud I thought would go on be huge but his lack of skill on the mic dragged him down. Have to say Swagger as well don't see him going anytime soon as he is a former world champ now but don't know if he'll ever reach those heights again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Oh Yeah, that guy was awesome. I thought he was a shoe in for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

His devils advocate promos were excellent. Shame it never transfered to the live show
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I thought Test would be a world champion; although not great verbal skills; they were ok, plus he was really tall and jacked.

I was convinced Test was gonna be huge around 1998/9. He was insanely over, was involved in a huge feud with HHH and Steph and had the look and the big man move set.

That said, when he returned he was a dried up old shíte.
    I thought Elijah Burke would be a big deal in WWE. He had really decent promo skills/aura and lead the New Breed. But that wasn't to be. At least he's doing better in TNA (well, not the current fued but in general lol)

Will still be huge. He has everything needed.

I thought Colt Canana would make a decent midcard splash as well. Brilliant on the mic and a bloody good wrestler. Bizarre that he never did anything of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

Ted Dibiase - eh both of them.

Scott Hall has to be there too - i mean back when he had his hit together and was in shape not later like.

would've said crush when he made his heel comeback the first one not the 2nd nation one - the crowd really hated him and were massively behind savage in that fued - should have went over there and gone on to win a title and then defend it against savage down the line but sure how and ever.

oh and obviously mr. perfect and mr texas tornado kerry von erich

Charisteas wrote: »

Well he did get buried..........[/QUOTE]

Ba-dum-tish!

Chuck Palumbo.

The Billy & Chunk gimmick was fun but I thought he would have went on to do more afterwards. in and out of the ring he was as good as some of those who have held titles over the last 7 years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ayatollah wrote: »
    Ted Dibiase - eh both of them.

Dibiase senior, despite not ever winning the world title, certainly did not under achieve. Headlined Wrestlemania and was the most solid and hated heel of the 1980s. He was a major superstar.
    Scott Hall has to be there too - i mean back when he had his hit together and was in shape not later like.

Again, just because he was not a World Champ does not mean he underachieved. If anything, given his technical ability, he over achieved.

oh and obviously mr. perfect and mr texas tornado kerry von erich

And again.

Advertisement