Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday Night Dinner - Friday at 10pm Channel 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bump!

Re-watching this with the girlfriend before Series 2 starts (in the next few weeks I'd say)..

It's really a very funny show - very easy-watching yet and just so much to identify with. Those 6 x 30 minute episodes just flew by too.

Looking forward to more - interview with Simon Bird, Tom Rosenthal and Robert Popper here on the second series.

Oh dear me! :eek:

Wasn't picked up to series by NBC... some serious talent behind it, but naaaaah!

Anyways, the UK version is back shortly.. and here's a new promo photo for the 2nd series:

230397_503633769648739_1075877393_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love Friday night dinner think it is very funny I can,t wait til the 7th now.
    Once I got into the first series I found the repetitive-ness very funny.

"Dad, help me hide Buggy!"
    * Martin takes 6 slices of bread out and attempts to cover Buggy *

Amazing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Basq wrote: »
    "Dad, help me hide Buggy!"
    * Martin takes 6 slices of bread out and attempts to cover Buggy *

Amazing! :D
    The dad is brilliant
    Having a brother myself 3 years younger, the relationship between the two boys is pretty spot on.
    Butt sliding down the stairs :D

I think that was the best episode in the show so far.....

As I said elsewhere, the physical comedy is second to none right now. It's refreshing to see a show with both refreshing writing and physical comedy done right (forget about the atrocious although widely acclaimed 'Miranda' - she falls over, rinse, repeat etc.).

Tom Rosenthal and Simon Bird actually did say in an interview last week that they went all out to make the violence look as real as possible as hurt each other on numerous occasions.

Great to have it back..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vores

As I said elsewhere, the physical comedy is second to none right now. It's refreshing to see a show with both refreshing writing and physical comedy done right (forget about the atrocious although widely acclaimed 'Miranda' - she falls over, rinse, repeat etc.).

Tom Rosenthal and Simon Bird actually did say in an interview last week that they went all out to make the violence look as real as possible as hurt each other on numerous occasions.

Great to have it back..

Ugh, I agree completely with what you said about Miranda, can't stand it at all. I expected a general audience to like it, but critics too...

Really liked season 1 of Friday Night Dinner, but haven't managed to catch tonight's (I think?) episode yet, will do in the next few days though. Really not a fan of the neighbour though, absolutely hated him in Green Wing too.

^ I like Mark Heap but I'm a massive Spaced fan, so can't help but like him!

The Jim scenes are not typically my favourite, but they sometimes do work.

The piano bit in tonight's episode was great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watching this now.
    Mark Heap's character is basically Dr. Alan Statham from Green Wing. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just watching this now.
    Mark Heap's character is basically Dr. Alan Statham from Green Wing. LOL.

Yeah, I just started watching The Green Wing at the behest of my wife. It's hilarious.

The latest episode of FND, with the new car, is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

_blank_ wrote: »
    Yeah, I just started watching The Green Wing at the behest of my wife. It's hilarious.

The latest episode of FND, with the new car, is hilarious.

You gotta love Mark Heap for that singular weirdness he has.
    Everything from Spaced (as mentioned above) to Green Wing to this. Some good Jam sketches with him as well.

FND is a curiosity i just stumbled on there tbh. Nothing hugely groundbreaking but the actors do a good job and it kept my interest, if only to see what Heap's character started to do. Tamsin Greig is pretty good as the mother as well.
    From what i've seen FND has a refreshing gentleness about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

From what i've seen FND has a refreshing gentleness about it

Excellent description.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Sat down to watch this yesterday and ended up watching all 10 aired episodes in one sitting. Absolutely loved it.
    Absolute favourite scene was the dad attempting to hide Buggy underneath the slices of bread.

Martin (Paul Ritter) is amazing.. the whole cast is great to be fair.

"Lovely bit of squirrel!"

Although Tamzin Greig is under-used.. she's primarily the one in the middle of 4 bizarre and hilarious characters.

Very much ended on a high tonight!

Mark Heap was absolutely amazing in it... even those who aren't his fans can't dismiss his performance in that episode.

Got the Christmas Special to look forward to now.. remember reading an interview with Simon Bird and Tom Rosenthal and they mentioned it was strange as it takes place during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yep this and last seasons final episode are my two favourites so far easily :D Seems they always end the series on a big high. Can't wait for the Christmas one now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

I enjoyed that episode too.
    Personally I thought that the last three episodes were funnier then the first three.

Apparently they have both their Grandmas around for Christmas dinner.

RTE2 is showing series one starting tomorrow (Monday) at 10.30pm

brian_t wrote: »
    Personally I thought that the last three episodes were funnier then the first three.
    C'mon, the Buggy episode was amazing!

C'mon, the Buggy episode was amazing!

The main premise of them fighting over Buggy didn't work for me but dads sneezing was funny alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Only just finished this from the sky box, didn't like the first couple of episodes but the latter ones had some excellent lol moments, albeit not enough of them. I was surprised this was renewed at all though, and I think they barely got away with it. They should stop now, or they'll screw it up and ruin their chance of long term repeat royalties.

Popper is very hit and miss imho. He can create some very funny moments, but there's no consistency. Hate his online stuff. And Mark Heap has gone way down in my estimations now. Despite the fact that they're all the same character, he was much better in Green Wing, and to a certain extent Spaced.

The Goodman family are back for a third series.

Friday Night Dinner starts on Channel 4 on Friday 20th June at 10pm.

In the new six-part series, Adam gains a new female admirer - an 11-year old girl, Jonny gets the world's worst tattoo, Dad gives the boys a graphic lecture on sex education, Mum practises being a counsellor on her horrified family, Grandma goes back out with the terrifying Mr Morris, Jim accidentally swallows his dog's sleeping pills, and... there's a wedding.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/friday_night_dinner/

Can't wait for more.. probably my favourite British comedy of the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit on it! Shitting, shitting, shitting, shit on it!!

This Friday, 10pm on Channel 4. The last series went out on Sunday nights, which felt completely wrong, so it's good to see that common sense has prevailed this time. The trailer looks really good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Love this, and a perfect time to tune in between the two WC games.

Nice one.

When you put your curser on the thread title in the main forum, the first line of the opening post is censored but it's not censored in the thread itself. :pac:

Bump!
    Bout to start....

Martin is completely stealing the show, bloody hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

**** **** **** on it ..... I forgot :( will catch it on +1 :)
    I hope it's as good as before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Parts of it were quite funny, but overall it lacked the magic it had before. Maybe this episode was just a bit forced? There is something more funny when the family is more real.

Advertisement