Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

We better consult the farmers over this, they are sure to have an opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

this is not the 60s lets move on like the rest of europe and stop living in the past as we have allways done here. A SUREEE IT ILLL BE ALLRIGHT:eek::eek::eek:

Oh yeah, the sun stays up much longer now than it did in the 60's . . .:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

yes yes yes.. great idea. :)
    yayyyyyy go for it:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

.Ireland has tens of thousands of people employed in the funds industry and financial services. Not only in the IFSC but all over like Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny and Drogheda

This better be looked at closely so we don't mess anything up
    They deal with everyone, from Hong Kong and Singapore right to Cayman Islands

If you can work around the 8 hour difference between here and Singapore, surely the hour difference between here and the UK shouldnt be too much of a challenge. And if it is, well they could start work an hour earlier and still have the same business hours

Personally I hope we do what ever the British do, mostly for football reasons

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

101001 wrote: »
    I for one will miss DST... who changes their clocks any more anyways... Wait... who has dedicated clocks these days

This proposed change has nothing to do with DST. That will still happen same as it does now, just will be on the same hour as the rest of Europe.

• Advertisement

tommyhaas wrote: »
    If you can work around the 8 hour difference between here and Singapore, surely the hour difference between here and the UK shouldnt be too much of a challenge. And if it is, well they could start work an hour earlier and still have the same business hours

Yes, but it's T+7 for USA west coast so you have limited business time to resolve and initiate business work.
    Changes are possible, consultation is needed, that's all I posted
    tommyhaas wrote: »
    Personally I hope we do what ever the British do, mostly for football reasons

If Ireland ever moves, we will copy the UK for business reasons and it won't be for 22 players kicking a ball around a pitch and calling that entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Dionysus wrote: »
    Wow. You really have issues. "We" indeed. If you hate this country so much and are convinced that the far away fields of Britain are so much better, you can move there permanently - very, very quickly. Carrying all that hatred for Ireland and Irish culture can't be good for you, and it's certainly getting tiresome watching it here.

:pac:

I speak from a practical perspective. Do you really think I am the one with issues here? Ireland is ****ed. No question about it. It's not a question of "what can we do to rebuild the country?" No, we can't properly rebuild this country until that debt is removed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The most ridiculous idea ever, people tend to have an idea that we can just make an extra hour of light in the evenings, doesn't happen like that obviously. If you want it bright at 5.30 pm in December, its going to have to be dark at 10 a.m. . . which is plain stupid.

If it ain't broke (which it clearly isn't) don't fix it!
    I'm not a morning person so I'd rather the hour later :D

seriously in winter you are either going to work in the dark or coming home in the dark, I'd rather a opportunity to see the sun after work

Ignore the kids argument 95% get driven to school anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Unnecessary I think
    Dark enough of a winter's morn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ignore farmers they still only work dawn to dusk regardless of what name you put on the hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Could the computers handle it if we did change...?we could have a new Y2K/Millennium Bug scenario.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Dub13 wrote: »
    Could the computers handle it if we did change...?we could have a new Y2K/Millennium Bug scenario.

I'm gonna guess yes. GMT will still exist, the UK just wouldn't be in it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

There was a program on about this a while ago,cant find it on the net.

The main opposition to this was farmers/postmen and families in Scotland or the north of England who had to send their kids to school.

There was a family interviewed ho live in England but already go by CET and they said that their health was better/electricity bills down and just life was better in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Ignore farmers they still only work dawn to dusk regardless of what name you put on the hours.

seriously in winter you are either going to work in the dark or coming home in the dark, I'd rather a opportunity to see the sun after work

Capt'n One in the morning doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Leave the farmers alone, feelingstressed. While the fancy-pants arsehole bankers, lawyers, journalists, politicians, auctioneers, accountants and property developers down in Dublin have brought this state to its knees, farming and the food processing industry is one of the handful of areas in the economy which is thriving.

Irish food exports jump 14%

Increase in Irish food exports

That whole "we're too sophisticated for rural Ireland" Celtic Tiger phase didn't really last long, after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ireland is a miserable place in the height of Winter, so a change would be a good thing if it brought even an extra hour of daylight.

I vote yes.

True, but dawn to dusk is still more hours then most workers in Ireland

Well most workers aren't getting up at 12am, 3am, 6am and then doing a full day. Parents with an infant probably do but most workers don't
    But then this is Spring and it's lambing season

So yeah, let the farmers have their input, whatever it may be

Dionysus wrote: »
    Leave the farmers alone, feelingstressed. While the fancy-pants arsehole bankers, lawyers, journalists, politicians, auctioneers, accountants and property developers down in Dublin have brought this state to its knees, farming and the food processing industry is one of the handful of areas in the economy which is thriving.

True indeed.
    If Ireland will ever recover it'll be on export industries and agri business is one of these. 80% of meat is exported, a figure often used and Irish produce has a worldwide reputation.
    Still the likes of Tesco prefer to import potatoes from Isreal................ Not like we don't have quality potatoes in Ireland!
    Better then the dirt from Brazil which sometimes gets a label as from the EU! There's some fraud right there

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    But now what with air travel and the internet surely its time to put the whole world on a single timezone and just let each country adopt their standard hours of business to fit in with local daylight hours ?
    They do that in China, the whole country is on Peking time. It means that the extreme west of the country has the sun at its "midday" at about 3:30 PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Savman wrote: »
    Ireland is a miserable place in the height of Winter, so a change would be a good thing if it brought even an extra hour of daylight.

I vote yes.

It's not going to bring extra daylight, it'll mean it'll be dark til 10am in winter, and bright til 5.30pm.

Gillington wrote: »

The main opposition to this was farmers/postmen and families in Scotland or the north of England who had to send their kids to school.

There was a family interviewed ho live in England but already go by CET and they said that their health was better/electricity bills down and just life was better in general.

I don't understand why people think their health is better or they'll save on heating. There are the same number of daylight hours, they're just being rearranged to have very dark mornings, and light a bit later in the evenings.

You won't see the sun after work, it'll still have set before 5 in winter . . .but you'll be driving to work in the dark from early november to late february at least . .

• Advertisement

It would make more sense to move Ireland to GMT -0.5 then at least midday will be in the middle of the day. As for everything else, set your alaem clock to the most suitable time. Businesses can change their working hours to "follow the sunrise" if it's important, farmers do that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I remember when we stayed on Summer Time (GMT+1) for three consecutive winters in the late 60s & early 70s, the clocks didn't change at all for three years, we just stayed on Summer Time. We had to walk to school in the dark which just made us miserable and it was dark by 5 o'clock anyway so the extra hour of daylight in the afternoon was no good to us.

The winters here are so miserable anyway with cold, damp weather, what's the point in having an hour extra daylight in the afternoon?

You can see what happens when a country is on a time zone which is far ahead of their geographic location. If you ever wondered why the Spanish come out so late in the evenings, it's because in the summer months they are on GMT+2 even though with the exception of Catalonia the whole country is west of the Greenwich meaning that they should be on GMT, the same as us.

It's about time....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not going to bring extra daylight, it'll mean it'll be dark til 10am in winter, and bright til 5.30pm.

It'll bring extra useable daylight.

I cant see why anyone wouldnt favour an extra hours light in the evening over the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

As a student, i never rise before 10, so i would approve of this change. If the UK goes with it, then by default we will have to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think we should add another day to the week. Between Wednesday & Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

sooooooo

how many of you checked to see what time the sunset was at before booking your last holiday :rolleyes:

i can see just how this will roll in loads of tourism money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Mensday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...

I'll meet you at 25.15ap on Mensday (GMT).

Fu*k it, I think we should restart time and go see the dinosaurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

It doesn't seem like a bad idea and if Englands doing it I'm sure we'll follow :D

• Advertisement

Gillington wrote: »

There is no reason a school up north can't open at a different time to other schools, might help traffic too ;)

Advertisement