Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plan to bring UK clocks forward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Bambi wrote: »
    It would still played at the same time :confused:

oh wait you mean the soccer

Well, he didn't say peile, did he? Seeing as we're being pedantic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

Yes, but it's still not really practical to be in a different time zone to the UK. Even so, Ireland being in line with some western European countries doesn't make sense either.

I'd leave it as it is.

I can't see it having much of an impact except for a small inconvenience to some companies with strong ties in England. Sure countries with multiple timezones seem to survive just fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

Living up here in Shetland Isles adding the hour on means that in the shortest daylight hours in December we wouldn't get sunrise till 10.12am but it also means our sunset wouldn't be until 15:51, seeing as my girls go to school in the dark at that time anyway then it doesn't bother me about the mornings, I feel bad for them coming home in the dark, the daylight being longer in the evenings is welcome as far as I'm concerned!! We have no night time really in summer anyway, so that wouldn't make a difference. I hate the few weeks after twice a year when they change the clocks!! Leaves everything feeling a bit muddled!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

What a ridiculous idea. Imagine watching Coronation Street at half 6. :mad:
    I'm sure Ireland will copy them soon enough though, as we can't think of anything for ourselves. Does this mean that Northern Ireland would change too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Violafy wrote: »
    Imagine watching Coronation Street What a ridiculous idea.
    FYP !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Great idea IMO. I'd also like the EU to bring in legislation that cars are manufactured with their lights on constant dims, like they have in Sweden, to curb any potential accidents.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Great idea IMO. I'd also like the EU to bring in legislation that cars are manufactured with their lights on constant dims, like they have in Sweden, to curb any potential accidents.

What about a forced evacuation of Ireland to mainland Europe to avoid any potential for future trouble? Us backward old Irish folk have shown time and time again we can't be trusted on our own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

So Greenwich wont be at Greenwich Mean Time?

Greenwich isint on Greenwich Mean Time for half the year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Naikon wrote: »
    We copy most ideas from the brits. May as well copy this one too.

Wow. You really have issues. "We" indeed. If you hate this country so much and are convinced that the far away fields of Britain are so much better, you can move there permanently - very, very quickly. Carrying all that hatred for Ireland and Irish culture can't be good for you, and it's certainly getting tiresome watching it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

lord lucan wrote: »
    Feargal Quinn has going on about this for years. It makes a lot of sense imo.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/quinn-clocks-up-a-plan-for-summertime-all-year-round-2299025.html
    "That effectively makes dealing with the forces of darkness harder".

We're playing right into the hands of EVIL :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Daegerty wrote: »
    What about a forced evacuation of Ireland to mainland Europe to avoid any potential for future trouble? Us backward old Irish folk have shown time and time again we can't be trusted on our own

Gee that sounds like an awesome idea....ohhhh you Irish, be gorra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BullSWD

My old man was telling me a few years back that putting the clocks back in winter was for a time when school kids and workers walked and cycled to school. This no longer happens on a large scale. Its definately a good idea. I love the long evenings. If it didnt get bright til 12 noon in the winter I wouldnt care. Long bright evenings allow for a heck of a lot more activities after work, school, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Daegerty wrote: »
    By right we should be an hour behind England as it is, with many parts of the country more than 7.5 degrees west of Greenwich

If its getting dark in London most of Ireland has well over an hour of daylight to go. So even if they change we shouldn't follow them
    Can we move them forward by 25 hours so it doesn't seem like we're copying them?

Actually we are in a different time zone to the UK by an hour. we just change clocks at the same time as them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

I for one will miss DST... who changes their clocks any more anyways... Wait... who has dedicated clocks these days

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Greenwich isint on Greenwich Mean Time for half the year anyway

Actually if one wants to be really pedantic nobody has used GMT since the 1970's
    BullSWD wrote: »
    My old man was telling me a few years back that putting the clocks back in winter was for a time when school kids and workers walked and cycled to school. .

Except we dont put them back in winter we put them forward in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Dub13 wrote: »
    So it looks like the UK are going to bring the clocks forward,should we follow..?What are the pros & cons...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

As I mentioned here, until 1916 Dublin had a different time to Great Britain. From 1880 until 1916 this time was known as Dublin Mean Time. It was 25 minutes behind London time.

101001 wrote: »
    Wait... who has dedicated clocks these days

Almost everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

I hate the way time can be changed on such a whim. It wrecks me head.

Dionysus wrote: »
    As I mentioned here, until 1916 Dublin had a different time to Great Britain. From 1880 until 1916 this time was known as Dublin Mean Time. It was 25 minutes behind London time.

Back in the day when midday was 12:00 where you actually lived, played havoc with the train timetables though as every town had it's own "midday" time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Why is there no poll? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The Daily Mail's take on it:
    Britain to move to Berlin Time

Dionysus wrote: »
    Back in the day when midday was 12:00 where you actually lived, played havoc with the train timetables though as every town had it's own "midday" time.

Originally every town had its own timezone but with the arrival of telegraphs and the railways it was deemed necessary for each country to adopt a timezone (or regional timezones in the case of very large countries)

But now what with air travel and the internet surely its time to put the whole world on a single timezone and just let each country adopt their standard hours of business to fit in with local daylight hours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Barring the odd enclave they dont share a common language so dont watch each others TV channels ?

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Do other time zones change their clocks from winter to summer and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

It has gone through a couple of stages in the UK system so I think it will happen this time.So the Irish Gov need to start thinking about it.
    yea and in 10yrs time they'll still be thinking about it after several tribunales
    sure most of us will have emigrated by then anyway will the last one out of Ireland switch out the lights:D:D:eek::eek:

Nulty wrote: »
    Do other time zones change their clocks from winter to summer and vice versa

Some do some dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

.Ireland has tens of thousands of people employed in the funds industry and financial services. Not only in the IFSC but all over like Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny and Drogheda

This better be looked at closely so we don't mess anything up
    They deal with everyone, from Hong Kong and Singapore right to Cayman Islands

I remember in the late 60s when they (the UK) retained BST one winter, arriving at school in the dark wasn't fun!

It was still getting dark when we got home as well, we didn't reallt benefit at all.

Best leave it as is!
    this is not the 60s lets move on like the rest of europe and stop living in the past as we have allways done here. A SUREEE IT ILLL BE ALLRIGHT:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The most ridiculous idea ever, people tend to have an idea that we can just make an extra hour of light in the evenings, doesn't happen like that obviously. If you want it bright at 5.30 pm in December, its going to have to be dark at 10 a.m. . . which is plain stupid.

If it ain't broke (which it clearly isn't) don't fix it!

• Advertisement

But Eastenders would be on a hour earlier,imagine the mayhem that would cause.
    SCRAP EASTENDERS A LOAD OF RUBBISH ANYWAY:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement