Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'll give it a go, because something about me or the programme just doesnt work :pac: (for me anyway) and like i said before i really wanna keep this up!
    I'll be cycling more now that ill be back in the city so hopefully that will help too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I can do the first one no bother, i dont think im going that fast to be able to slow down but i suppose i can try to but on the brakes a bit more!
    Dont know about the 7.5, where i norrmally do it it starts to get quite hilly but i shall see where im gonna be living now what the story is!
    I know I got to a stage where having to stop to walk was killing me for starting up again, I found it easier to run for 15 minutes straight rather than doing 5 minutes with walking breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I'll give it a go, because something about me or the programme just doesnt work :pac: (for me anyway) and like i said before i really wanna keep this up!
    I'll be cycling more now that ill be back in the city so hopefully that will help too!

When I was doing it I often found I had to either do the same week for a few weeks or build in bridge weeks where I went almost to the next week, but not quite.

I think for the 3 by 5 minute runs I did a couple of weeks of 3 by 4 minutes, then did a week of 1 by 5 minutes and 2 by 4 minutes, then 2 by 5 and 1 by 4 and finally, 3 by 5!

The regular couch to 5k progressed too quickly for me, my aerobic fitness and my leg strength took a lot longer to build up than the program expected, so I just stretched the whole program.

, I found it easier to run for 15 minutes straight rather than doing 5 minutes with walking breaks.

Baby steps ivy :pac:
    Yeah i think im depending too much on the guy telling me to stop and then im like oh god i have to run again in 30s !! :eek:

Good to knoww username123! Makes me feel better that im not the only one! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

When I first started it I found it great, but once the runs were over 5 mins I found it very tough going, so I stopped the intervals and just extended my run every time by 2 minutes. I got up to 20 minutes running, but then a combination of illness / injury I had to stop running. I'll build it back up though over time. It is, afterall, a marathon and not a sprint :D

It'll be interesting to see though when my rugby training starts back, what impact that will have on my ability to run. Training normally consists of a 2/3 lap warm up run which would amount to around a km. Then there are sprint sessions and obviously general running around the place while playing. It will be interesting to see how the different physical activity impacts my running. Once rugby starts back I'd say I'll have to hold off running - time / recovery as much as anything. I'll keep up with swimming, and maybe on weekends when there is no match I'd go for a jog, but in reality training 2 nights and a match on the weekends would be too much to add in runs. Maybe. I don't know.

• Advertisement

Good to knoww username123! Makes me feel better that im not the only one! :)

God no - I was a sweaty lurching red faced mess of panting and almost collapsing for months! Sure it took me 4 months to be able to START the program because it took me that long to be able to run for a minute lol!!

The good news is, I now go for a 45-60 min run twice a week and only the last few minutes kill me - so if I can do it - anyone can do it!!

I inched the times along similar to described here towards the end of the program too, the stops were killing me!

sullivlo wrote: »
    When I first started it I found it great, but once the runs were over 5 mins I found it very tough going, so I stopped the intervals and just extended my run every time by 2 minutes. I got up to 20 minutes running, but then a combination of illness / injury I had to stop running. I'll build it back up though over time. It is, afterall, a marathon and not a sprint :D
    It's interesting reading about how you extend your run, I've been reading up on how to extend running time after the programme (I'm not ready to move on to a 10k programme) and it seems you should extend your running time by 10% a week (not more), so you're extending it by the right amount! :)
    Sometimes I feel like running two days in a row (just for the buzz like!) but I'm holding off because I don't want to injure myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Went to the physio today and looks like I need to stop the jogging/ running. It's too high impact for my ankle right now.

Sadface.

Guess it's off to the stationary bikes and crosstrainer for me!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Went to the physio today and looks like I need to stop the jogging/ running. It's too high impact for my ankle right now.

Sadface.

Guess it's off to the stationary bikes and crosstrainer for me!

That's a pity :(

On yer bike now :pac: :D

Bah, went for my run this morning and I had to turn around and come back because my usual route is blocked for major roadworks. :( I have another route in mind that I'll start tomorrow but it's not as nice as the one I had, because the old one was mostly in the countryside (I live on the edge of the city) where as this one is in the city, with traffic and fumes. Boo urns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm up to week 8 now but I'm planning on sticking with this week til I'm able to do 28 mins comfortably. I was fine until now and was able for the 25 min runs, just can't seem to do the 28 without having to walk some of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'm up to week 8 now but I'm planning on sticking with this week til I'm able to do 28 mins comfortably. I was fine until now and was able for the 25 min runs, just can't seem to do the 28 without having to walk some of it.

It's all about getting comfortable with your abilities. I think the app is great for getting people going but when they get to the point of being able to run I think it pressures people a bit. So just take your time and build it up bit by bit. That's what I'm doing and I'm happy.

I'm going out tonight so I was meant to go for a run before work. It didn't happen. So today can be my rest day and I will try get out tomorrow evening hangover dependent. But as it's a school night, I won't go too mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Did a 10k at the weekend and was knackered after it (delighted to be able for it, but a bit disappointed at how much it took out of me) so didn't go running on Monday because my legs were in pieces. Went back tonight and the 5 miles was a lot more manageable than usual, so yay! It's nice to see progress, cos usually it's hard to remember how tired I was the last time and compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Don't be disheartened at how tired you are after a race, it's just a sign you've worked hard :)
    10k is a long distance to go - I've been doing them for three years and am still absolutely flaked after them. Recovery is very important, there's no shame whatsoever in needing a couple of rest days. Walking or slow slow slow jogging is good to flush out the muscles the day after a hard run also.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Back to square one, I started Week 1 Day 1 yesterday after many months of laziness. Not half as unfit as I was the first time around but it wasn't easy either.

miamee wrote: »
    Back to square one, I started Week 1 Day 1 yesterday after many months of laziness. Not half as unfit as I was the first time around but it wasn't easy either.

You'll find it much easier a second time round.

Okay. Decided that today is the day. I am fairly competent on the auld swimming so it's time to get back to running.

I left the programme at week 6 day 1. Logic told me I should go back a week but I pressed the wrong button and was already into the warmup of w6d1 so I kept going.

I did it. I really did it!! Indoors on the treadmill so I sweated like you wouldn't believe. Kept a good pace for the first 10 mins and slowed right down by the end of the second 10 mins, but I finished it! Ran every step!

And a man complimented me on my weight loss, which was a great motivator. Two people in the one day - I could get used to it!

Yeay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am getting lazy! Went out Saturday and today and both times ran really slowly and took a walking break after 15 minutes. think I need another goal...

Week 6 day 2 at a sloooooooow pace. I was just after dinner and I could feel my dinner moving. But I kept going and finished it. Slowly but surely.

Same as before. First run was grand but was tired after the walk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Just did week 7 day 2 - 25mins run. Disappointed in myself as at around 20mins had to slow down to walking pace for a couple of minutes before running the last bit. Was on the treadmill so pretty sure I set my pace way too fast. Still frustrating though.

• Advertisement

Tried week 6, day 3 on Saturday. Ran for about 9 minutes but packed it in with the heat.

Went to the gym today and managed 2.5 km in just under 20 mins. Very slow indeed but wasn't too wrecked after it. Slow and steady. I'm determined to do it this time! Will aim for 25 mins next time and see how I go!

This weather, while fantastic, is difficult to run in!! I was out in Howth this morning and managed a measly 2km before I had to walk. Ah well!

Due to do a 5k in 2 weeks. Not sure I'll manage the whole thing, unless of course being caught up in a group spurs me on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ladies - can I ask ye a question....

What underwear (knickers) do you wear when out jogging?

I have been so uncomfortable the last few times I have been out. I keep getting wedgies! Last night I had to stop a few times to check no one was around so I could fix myself.

Sorry for the TMI!!

I have sports bras, running socks, shorts, capris and tops - all I need is running knickers!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bog standard M&S ones, or commando in tri shorts and shorts with a liner! Never found the need for running-specific ones.

I need to get larger undies that would get wedged anywhere. Also, while I have small boobs that don't require special support, my bra straps are annoying me, they fall off my shoulders when I run! So a trip to Decathlon (great, affordable sports shop over here) is required to get a few sports bras.

Touch wood i havnt had that problem so far sorry!

Been getting used to going/coming home from work so havnt been on a run since i moved up (nearly two weeks now :o ) but i feel productive this evening so im gonna mke myself go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Don't wear any! Try it ;)

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Don't wear any! Try it ;)

I got a couple of pairs of the LIDL running shorts, I'm convinced they're a bit see through though, so no commando in them! I'll wait til I'm back in my thermal winter ones!

Until then. Big pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Penneys seamless thongs are good.
    They're soft and have enough material in them that they won't get stuck anywhere.
    I'm still not brave enough to go commando, I dunno what that's about! Must just do it someday.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Ladies - can I ask ye a question....

What underwear (knickers) do you wear when out jogging?

I have been so uncomfortable the last few times I have been out. I keep getting wedgies! Last night I had to stop a few times to check no one was around so I could fix myself.

Sorry for the TMI!!

I have sports bras, running socks, shorts, capris and tops - all I need is running knickers!!

The biggest knickers I have. Less chance of a wedgie. Boxer (or granny) style.

Advertisement