Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

For fellow Galwegians: I saw in the paper today that Parkrun is starting in Galway (in Cappagh park, Knocknacarra) from this Saturday onwards.

I've heard it mentioned a few times on this thread and they seem to be a great motivator. Might give it a go one Saturday but I'm terrible in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

Picked a hilly forest route and did 8km this morning. Didn't think id complete around km 3 and 4. Slow as usual. Took just over an hour. That's my last long run before 10km race next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Off to by some new runners today, i ran so fast in the DIL run that i melted my shoe!!
    (it was really when i put it on the radiator to dry it off but thats what im telling people!) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I had fallen behind a bit with my running, but after getting back on the wagon (so to speak) I'm down to do another 5k this Saturday.

Still struggle with running for more than 25mins without walking - and my speed is nothing to be proud of - on week 7 of Cto5k and I'm only hitting 4k total, including warm up and cool down. BUT, I am kinda glad I'm still doing it. Hopefully wont' die on this 5k - looking to be able to complete it more than anything else.

And I will reward myself with new runners if I do ok :)

You two have reminded me I need new runners soon. But they're sooo expensive!

Had a bad run today, it was like I was moving in slow-motion or something and I couldn't do anything about it.

• Advertisement

I got mine in lifestyle sports today ..meant to be 80 down to 55 and for some reason got an extra tenner off! Went out in them earlier and they were great. Not bad for 45 squid!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I actually did a gait analysis thing the other day, and got a video of myself running barefoot on a treadmill - it was a little odd, but useful in that it gives an idea of what kind of shoes might be best.

I need the new runners, even though I'm not excited at the idea of spending the money on them - the old ones are starting to wear away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Foux, I got runners at the weekend in Elverys, they're doing buy one get one half price on runners but I only bought one (couldn't justify a second pair when one was so expensive!) so the girl said if I went home and wanted another pair I could just bring in the receipt and get a pair for half price. You're welcome to the receipt if you want, I won't use it. It was Elverys on the Headford road.

felt a Twinge in a calf muscle and also hamstring last night. Tried doing intervals :( entered for 10km on Saturday. its not bad but think i could do damage if i run again too soon on it. Dunno if I'll be fit now :( dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 8 Day 1 done, I did a total of 5.25 K in 38 minutes, and that's including the warm up and cool down, so I reckon when I get the running up to 5 K, I'll have a decent time! It's so much easier this time around.

• Advertisement

Foux, I got runners at the weekend in Elverys, they're doing buy one get one half price on runners but I only bought one (couldn't justify a second pair when one was so expensive!) so the girl said if I went home and wanted another pair I could just bring in the receipt and get a pair for half price. You're welcome to the receipt if you want, I won't use it. It was Elverys on the Headford road.
    That's so nice of you! If you're sure you won't use it yourself, I might PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    That's so nice of you! If you're sure you won't use it yourself, I might PM you.

No problem! I'm certain, and someone might as well use it so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Have a 6.5k race Thursday. Haven't managed to run further than 5k v slowly in about 3 weeks. Really hoping for a massive surge of adrenaline at the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Went around the block a few times walking and jogging, was only out for less than 20 mins though. Might go for a long walk tomorrow and see if that helps me feel better. I think I'm over the worst of the mumps.

Ran into a pack of canvassers tonight. There were so many of them all clumped together avoiding them was like a video game.

~A wild politican appeared!~
    *FouxDaFaFa used "headphones"*
    ~Politician used "girth shield". You are trapped!~
    *FouxDaFaFa unleashed "sweat attack"*
    ~Politician's health pack is decimated!~

##LEVEL UP##

Calf and hamstring on right leg still very tight and got worse with a walk this evening so I'm pulling out of the 10km race tmw :( scared of a tear. Was also diagnosed with broken finger this week one month after I injured it so I reckon I've learned pain generally means something....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do you have a foam roller? Or even a tennis ball/harder rubber ball?

Yeah I do. Ive been rolling and stretching it a lot. It might be a very mild tear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In that case definitely recovery time :(

Yeah well I increased my weekly kilometreage by a bit too much in recent weeks. So thats what I get for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Went over on my ankle Thursday night at badminton. :( Thankfully it didn't swell up but is still a bit sore. Was planning on trying a longer route today but that's out the window now. Might try a brisk short walk after to see how my ankle feels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hope the ankle is on the mend SunnyD.

I made my long awaited return to running today. Accidentally at the start! I ran for the bus. I was heading home from work and saw the bus at the stop. I started running full tilt as it was already at the stop when I started running (about 200 metres). Tourists got in the way. The side step I employed was a thing of beauty. If I could do that on the rugby pitch I would be unstoppable. Side step sullivlo they'd call me. Let's bear in mind that I'm currently a 119 kg front row forward so I'm not known for my side step. But today I was!

Anyway! I felt no ill effect on my knee so I went on the treadmill before I went for my swim. My quickest km! I did 1km in 6.44, which isn't a world beating time but see previous weight!! It's the right direction. I only managed 1km as I felt a niggle and didn't want to push it but I should be in okay form to do a 5km by the end of the summer... Happy sullivlo is happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

First day of Week 9 done yesterday, I don't know what happened but it was great! I did 4.5 km in 30 minutes, so I think I'll be able to do 5 km in 35 minutes max, I'd be delighted with that! I think it may be because I've lost some weight, perhaps that makes it easier?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

First day of Week 9 done yesterday, I don't know what happened but it was great! I did 4.5 km in 30 minutes, so I think I'll be able to do 5 km in 35 minutes max, I'd be delighted with that! I think it may be because I've lost some weight, perhaps that makes it easier?

Yeah I have definitely seen a change in the ease with which I run since losing weight. I guess it makes sense - carrying less around = less tiring.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm currently about 7kg heavier than I was when I ran a 3:59 marathon a few years ago (70kg vs 63kg), and the difference is quite noticeable. I'm a bit slower (but I'm also not running as much because my main goal for this year is triathlon, swimming and cycling take a lot of time!), and it also feels like it takes more effort to run fast. Working on it though :)

I am stuck on week five day one...just cant do the three five minute runs and have tried multiple times. Kinda getting annoyed at my lack of progress but still gonna stick with it.
    Also moving back to galway city today means that i shall have to start running...with people around! :eek:

You can do it! Can you do it slowing down? :)
    How are you on the first five min run, would you be able to do 2x 7.5 instead?

I can do the first one no bother, i dont think im going that fast to be able to slow down but i suppose i can try to but on the brakes a bit more!
    Dont know about the 7.5, where i norrmally do it it starts to get quite hilly but i shall see where im gonna be living now what the story is!

Cool... Some other ladies here find it easier to just keep chugging on slowly than stop/start, so if you have no problem at all with the first 5 mins you might split it up that way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Even if you think you're barely going faster than a walk, slowing down really helps. You're not aiming to build speed just yet, you're building your endurance, and you will be able to go for longer at a slower pace.

Advertisement