Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labradoodles

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No he wasn't as far as I know, but, I am not 100% sure to be honest.

We did get him x rayed etc within a week of getting him - and as far as I know we could return him if there was any problems, but that was never going to happen once we had him.

It is recommended that these tests be done.

Yes absolutely. There are certain breeds that should be hip/elbow scored before breeding and labradors are ones that should def be done. You cannot hip score until the dog is at least 12 months old, so x-raying a pup is no good as it wont show any problems at such a young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Quick wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering were your pups parents health tested for hip displasia, elbow scored and eye tested?

Thanks

Sorry I answered the wrong question - Yes the parents were tested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry I answered the wrong question -

Sorry, just wondering, what was the question you thought you were answering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 nickyh59

I haven't been here for a while but wanted to update any of you interested in this breed. I collected my Puppy in June 2011 he is now 15 months old and an absolutely wonderful dog. Everything we wanted and more. I did take a year to find the right breeder and she did pick the right puppy for us. He does not shed though I have to groom him daily and trim his hair about once a month which is a big job. He is very smart and this means we do daily training and tricks and we walk for at least an hour a day. He goes to day care once a week and loves all people and dogs. I have never heard him growl. Dogs need so much time and attention but we were prepared for this. I am hearing of lots of Doodles now in Ireland that are up for re-homing, this is so sad but inevitable given the amount of back yard breeders and families that think this is the perfect dog. I would advise anyone considering these dogs (in fact any dog) to think long and hard especially if you also have a young family. It is seriously like having another child LOL If you want the nuts and bolts information please message me and I will reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Hi guys,

As you may know from some of my other posts (haven't been on in a few months - new job!) I have a lab poodle cross and I have to say he's a total joy, complete nutter lunatic and yet a big baby all at the same time.

He's a real lover - in for the snuggles as much as possible - a hairy blondie mutt that needs constant brushing and has completely re-prioritised my love of wearing black (my own blonde curls are bad enough without throwing in his in the mix!) and a big doggie at that too. At 9 months, he's heading for 25 kilos. He's very smart, quite a character and everyone thinks he's an old dog because of his woolly beardy face.

He's well behaved when he wants to be and has picked up plenty of tricks and training but still pulls on the lead a lot which is my major ongoing project.

We bought him on done deal this time last year (he was a surprise arriveal in my house) and it was my one regret that I hadn't done more research on the issues that can arise and the problems of buying pups like that - we visited the house, saw the mum etc etc but still wasn't very comfortable about it. You live and learn. It'll be rescue dogs from here on in.

I would recommend a lab/poodle cross if you have lots of time, lots of energy, a willingness to deal with all manner of chewed items in the earliest months and a lot of patience to train, train and train again.

Rewards are awesome, I wouldn't be without him now, but every other dog we've ever had (all mongrels/strays) have offered the same level of unconditional love and hairiness in our house so I wouldn't be fussy! :D

I would say one other thing - while the debate over breeding and labradoodles vs mongrels etc etc rages on, it would be a bit more helpful if some lab/poodle owners could post up advice and experiences on here for us all to share/benefit from instead of us being intimidated over every one elses opinions on the battle of the breeds/makey-uppy breeds just because we own one! I was afraid to message anyone on this initially but am over it now because the love of Fred knows no bounds!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 nickyh59

There is an amazing about of information on http//www.doodlekisses.com which is a social forum for Doodle owners and would be owners. I would advise anyone looking for grooming advice/puppy training and problems and most of all before getting a puppy 'what to look for in a breeder'. It proved invaluable to me and avoided lots of errors and I have made true friends here too. They have a really great guide to feeding and all of them are impartial, just totally dedicated dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Congrats on getting your labradoodle :D

I have 2 labradoodles - a 2 and 1/2 year old cream wavy coat shedding F1b and a 1 and 1/2 year old F2 completely non shedding black one. They are completely different dogs, one loves attention all the time and is really lively; the other is completely chilled out and a bit on the lazy side, he just loves lying at the door especially if the sun is shining.

Labradoodles who are pulling their lead should be fitted for a halti - they work and the pulling stops. If you don't want to use a halti (?) just stop walking when the dog pulls, this way takes more time but it does work - its a long haul though - halti is much faster.

Vinegar and water sprayed on anything your labradoodle chews, stop chewing. Labradoodle 1 chewed nothing but Labradoodle 2 chewed absolutley everything - fortunately he has stopped now.

Labradoodles need to be walked but they also need training for about 10 minutes or so a day - it really tires them out. Chop up an apple for treats - mine love this. Mine love to swim at the beach and are always shattered afterwards. I find 3 half walks work the best - thats only 15 minutes there and back :-).
    Fetch is also a really handy way for them to use up energy, make sure to train them to give and/or drop. I got one of those long leads and threw a stick maybe 15 feet away, the dog had no choice but to come back to me because of the lead, I always had a square of apple to give him so he automatically dropped the stick into my hand.

Having a second labradoodle means my first one doesn't mind being left at home any more however my labradoodles do not like to be separated and really pine for each other.

A dog is a big responsibilty - it needs to be looked after and trained properly as a pup, they then grow into beautiful, well trained adults.
    If you decide to get a Labradoodle especial a non shedding one,it must be groomed every day for about 10 minutes - establishing this habit means they are happy to be groomed even if they get a couple of mats.

I wouldn't have any other dog - I think Labradoodles are brillant - on saying that I am sure everyone thinks that about their own dog.

ps Labradoodles know if you are a walk over, so when you say no make sure you mean it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement