Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labradoodles

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Whispered wrote: »
    I suggested going back to the breeder, but the owners are happy to hold onto him until a great home is found so would prefer to not put him through the travel etc. I didn't want to push it as I would probably be the same. So not a reflection on the breeder at all. Chances are they have no idea.

It's not a typical "Oh I need to rehome because blah blah...." case. The lady realised she doesn't really have the ability to give the dog what he needs long term, so she has a walker coming in twice a day etc. Really making an effort to keep him happy until he is homed. She has also already turned down 2 home offers because she feels the home wasn't right for the dog. He wasn't neutered and someone offered to buy him for stud, and she promptly went off to neuter him :D I don't know if she'll ever find the "right" home, but she is handling the rehoming herself because she doesn't think anybody else will find the perfect place for him. I'm guessing he'll still be there is a few years. ;)

Thats brilliant that she feels that way, but there may be a contract in place that says the dog has to go back to the breeder. Obviously you can't push her, I totally understand that, but breeders always get a bad rap, and then when you do have a responsible one who likes to know where their dogs are and look after them for life, they don't get the chance:(

But, I would say, if Suzi Walsh is offering to help, bite her hand off:D She would make sure the dog went to a fantastic home.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Hi
    This may be a bit off topic but i heard a guy on the radio recently from the irish guide dogs saying that they are currently breeding labrador/poodle crosses for guide dog work and are always looking for volunteers.
    Id love to try it but live too far from cork and work too many hours. Maybe instead of going abroad for a puppy you could get a pup that needs training for a good cause or look it up anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

You can also do the guide dog program if you live in Dublin, Meath etc.....however they do not use labradoodles very often and have none in training at the moment they do have a few goldendoodles but most dogs they have are lab x golden retriever or gsd x golden retriever. So poodle mixes are very minimal in guide dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

suziwalsh wrote: »
    If she is looking for a great home for him....I would have one :)
    I'll contact her later to day and PM you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I totally agree with Suzi Walsh. I do not wish to offend any other posters here but I personally cannot comprehend why somebody would buy a dog in this day and age nonetheless hand over money for a non-pedigree dog or any dog for that matter!

I truly believe that buying a dog when there are so many wonderful dogs left to die in pounds is completely immoral and unethical. I can never understand why people (who purport to be animal lovers) will insist on paying hundreds of euro for a pedigree puppy when there are so very many great pedigree (and Heinz) dogs out there just waiting for somebody to give them a second chance and a loving home. I do voluntary work with an animal charity and it breaks my heart when I see how great the dogs are there and I know that there are people handing over money to breeders. A lot of dogs which are surrendered are surrendered through absolutely no fault of their own and will make brilliant family pets if only given the chance.

When it comes to non-shedding dogs, lurchers and greyhounds only have one layer of fur so do not shed the way other dogs do and they only require two half an hour walks a day, being quite happy to snooze away the rest of the day and yet people are looking for dogs outside Ireland and what is worse paying money for them thus encouraging yet more breeding when there are already far too many healthy dogs who require homes. The whole thing really is beyond my comprehension! :confused:

Rant over :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Quick wrote: »
    My wife suffers from asthma and I know that labradoodle are not totally non shedding, but ever little helps.

Quick, just to point out it's the dander in a dogs coat that cause allergies in people and as all dogs have skin and can therefore produce dander any breed of dog can upset your wife's asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I agree with what a couple of you have said, it is a real shame the amount of dogs who end up in pounds, and so many end up never coming out. We had to buy a dog to avoid allergy problems, plus I have a young son, so prefered the dog to be raised from a pup with him.
    I must admit, I am quite suprised at the number of stray dogs I have seen around my area (Athlone). I have only been in Ireland for a few months, although my partner is originally from here. I have seen a chocolate labrador, a golden labradoor, and various mongrels. Being new, i'm not sure who to contact. The labradoors were both gorgeous dogs, very friendly, the chocolate lab was a little 'exciteable' and some people may take his behaviour as something its not and be frightened by him. Is there an equivilent to the RSPCA ?? We did ring someone, however they never turned up, if we seen the dog again we could hold him in our garden for a few hrs, but thats all because of our own dog. At least you dont get the problem here that there is in the UK with the aggressive dog breeds, and people using them as weapons. Numerous people have been killed by them in the last few yrs including children.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I agree with what a couple of you have said, it is a real shame the amount of dogs who end up in pounds, and so many end up never coming out. We had to buy a dog to avoid allergy problems, plus I have a young son, so prefered the dog to be raised from a pup with him.
    I must admit, I am quite suprised at the number of stray dogs I have seen around my area (Athlone). I have only been in Ireland for a few months, although my partner is originally from here. I have seen a chocolate labrador, a golden labradoor, and various mongrels. Being new, i'm not sure who to contact. The labradoors were both gorgeous dogs, very friendly, the chocolate lab was a little 'exciteable' and some people may take his behaviour as something its not and be frightened by him. Is there an equivilent to the RSPCA ?? We did ring someone, however they never turned up, if we seen the dog again we could hold him in our garden for a few hrs, but thats all because of our own dog. At least you dont get the problem here that there is in the UK with the aggressive dog breeds, and people using them as weapons. Numerous people have been killed by them in the last few yrs including children.

We have the ISPCA here, you could try contacting them but almost every shelter is full of dogs at the moment so I'm not sure if they'll even take them in.
    And sorry, but there is no such thing as an aggressive dog breed; aggression is a quality that humans put into them. And there is still a lot of dog-fighting going on here as well tbh, and scumbags training them to be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

Going out of the country and spending hundreds of euro on a dog is just ridiculous! Seriously, i don't get it sanctuaries and kennels are filled with gorgeous (Some even hypoallergenic!) creatures waiting for a loving home.
    You'll love your dog no matter what breed and by getting a rescue you're saving a life... Sorry but it just makes me a bit annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I would also like to point out that rescue in Ireland and the UK always have loads of pups for homing and it is a complete misconception that only adult dogs with issues are found looking for homes. Often rescues get handed in pups that breeders cannot sell, or whole litters from "accidents" etc.

Also as far as I am aware the last person to be killed by a dog was in 1984 here in Ireland and the last one in the UK was in 2007 but the dog was found to be medicated on ilegal drugs.....could be wrong with dates etc here....memory usually fails me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Shanao wrote: »
    And sorry, but there is no such thing as an aggressive dog breed; aggression is a quality that humans put into them. And there is still a lot of dog-fighting going on here as well tbh, and scumbags training them to be dangerous.

I wrote that in not quite the way I meant it, you are correct there are no actuall agressive breeds. However, certain people choose certain breeds to use as weapons/status symbols/fighting. In the UK its becoming more of a problem the last few yrs. Breeds such as bull terriers, rotweilers, and mastiffs are the usual ones they choose. They are not naturally agressive/dangerous dogs, but need the right kind of training and looking after. A relative of mine has had a bull mastiff and a rotweiler (the mastiff was prob the biggest dog i've ever seen), he is an experienced dog owner and trainer. However, so many people buy them now to use as weapons and status symbols. Its a real shame. I had heard before of the dog fighting in Ireland, how anyone can do that I will never know.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can the regulars please stop preaching to users asking genuine questions about these mixed breeds/mongrels or whatever you want to refer to them as.

Im sick to my teeth of these "get a rescue" responses everytime someone mentions a labradoodle/rothrussel or whatever.

It is putting users off the forum.

Im going to discuss this with the other mods and see what their view is on it.

Two threads in two days ruined by the whole " get a rescue" brigade.

Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

suziwalsh wrote: »
    but most dogs they have are lab x golden retriever or gsd x golden retriever.

Just curious, does anyone know if the gsd x golden retriever guide dogs have to be muzzled under the RB law?

Sorry for off topic.

On topic - While I totally agree that Ireland is falling down with rescue dogs and it's a disgrace, I firmly believe the most important thing for people to do is do their research and pick a healthy and suitable dog that will be a permanent member of their family, be it from a reputable breeder, reputable shelter or whatever. Too many people can be pressured into getting a dog that simply isn't right for their family and circumstances and the dog suffers the most for it. So while the beautiful solution might be to only take dogs from shelters/pounds until there simply aren't any more to take it just isn't realistic.

So OP, it sounds like a couple of the people in the thread have names of reputable breeders of labrador x poodles, just make sure you've done your research and that it is the right kind of dog for you for the next 12 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

lrushe wrote: »
    Quick, just to point out it's the dander in a dogs coat that cause allergies in people and as all dogs have skin and can therefore produce dander any breed of dog can upset your wife's asthma.

+1 I've found with my own alergies regularly brushing my GR every couple of days eliminates the problem. The only time I've needed inhalers from the dander was when I got a bit lazy in the summer and didn't brush him for ages then attacked him with a furminator and there was tons of hair/dander coming off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just curious, does anyone know if the gsd x golden retriever guide dogs have to be muzzled under the RB law?

Sorry for off topic.

On topic - While I totally agree that Ireland is falling down with rescue dogs and it's a disgrace, I firmly believe the most important thing for people to do is do their research and pick a healthy and suitable dog that will be a permanent member of their family, be it from a reputable breeder, reputable shelter or whatever. Too many people can be pressured into getting a dog that simply isn't right for their family and circumstances and the dog suffers the most for it. So while the beautiful solution might be to only take dogs from shelters/pounds until there simply aren't any more to take it just isn't realistic.

So OP, it sounds like a couple of the people in the thread have names of reputable breeders of labrador x poodles, just make sure you've done your research and that it is the right kind of dog for you for the next 12 or so years.

I would imagine they would come under working dogs and would be exempt in the same way police dogs are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Guide dogs are exempt from the law. A friend of mine has a retired GSD x GR and she refuses to muzzle him even though he's not working now. Tbh, you wouldn't even be able to guess that he has GSD in him.

My "guide dog" picture.php?albumid=1605&pictureid=8858

picture.php?albumid=1605&pictureid=8857

The difference in peoples reaction to a dog in a visivest is crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Try a cute bandana and people will fall over each other to pet your dog ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

My "guide dog" picture.php?albumid=1605&pictureid=8858

picture.php?albumid=1605&pictureid=8857

The difference in peoples reaction to a dog in a visivest is crazy!

Helena, what the hell have you been feeding Harley??:D The size of him, hes grown so tall!!! Looking great and little Phoenix is just fab.

Strict diet of children, old people and cats. :pac:

Thank you, he is looking well. He's got a very serious head on him in both those pics though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Strict diet of children, old people and cats. :pac:

Thank you, he is looking well. He's got a very serious head on him in both those pics though :D

Hes so tall, i always thought he wasnt much taller than a staffie but he looks more like a great dane there, lol. Any chance of throwing a few inches my way to give to my little Flo pleeeeease?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Well didn't this turn into a bit of a debate. Let me start off by saying there are a lot of keyboard warriors and preachers on this site..

Yes Ireland has a problem with strays and dogs that are handed into pounds on a daily basis. The idiots and scumbags who buy dogs as a toy and then get rid of them a while later when they get a little big or aggressive cause they have not been trained or forget that puppy's grow into big dogs!

The amount of knackers I see around town with huskies/malamutes is ridiculous. The dogs need at least an hours exercise a day and all they get it a walk to the shop.*

I have wanted a dog for about 4 years now but have held off as both of us have worked in town. I now work at home and am in a position to get a dog and look after it. I have done my research for the past few months, found a person who has these dogs, dare I say Breeder, and I will be going to collect him or her in Scotland. I plan to make a wknd of it, if that eases the pain of whoever has fallen off their chair! Hopefully this is an investment of a friend and companion for 10-15 years and I want to be happy with my choice.*

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sarah2022

Hellrazer, thank you so much for your comment! I searched the forums for ages looking for threads on hybrid dogs, but I kept coming up against posts from members asking if people realised they were muts, being horrified at the though of anyone possibly paying for a dog and going on and on about rescue dogs. Eventually I posted my own thread hoping to get a simple answer to a simple question, but aside from a few genuinely interested members it was just more of the same. Can I just point out that the fact that I am buying a hybrid doesn't make me stupid or ignorant?! I am an experienced dog owner and dog rescuer, and I have more than done my homework, and it's clear that everyone else here in my shoes is the exact same. Phew, sorry about that but needed the rant!! On the other hand, thank you to everyone who responded with info, it was hugely helpful and greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Sarah2022 wrote: »
    Hellrazer, thank you so much for your comment! I searched the forums for ages looking for threads on hybrid dogs, but I kept coming up against posts from members asking if people realised they were muts, being horrified at the though of anyone possibly paying for a dog and going on and on about rescue dogs. Eventually I posted my own thread hoping to get a simple answer to a simple question, but aside from a few genuinely interested members it was just more of the same. Can I just point out that the fact that I am buying a hybrid doesn't make me stupid or ignorant?! I am an experienced dog owner and dog rescuer, and I have more than done my homework, and it's clear that everyone else here in my shoes is the exact same. Phew, sorry about that but needed the rant!! On the other hand, thank you to everyone who responded with info, it was hugely helpful and greatly appreciated :)

Hi Sarah,
    I have the most beautiful and intelligent F1B labradoodle, he will be 1 in March.
    I got him from Brtaffs in Wexford and I know severel people who have also gotten their dogs from their - the owners name is Rose O Driscoll.
    They are currently selling Aussie Labradoodles on Done Deal.
    I was considering buying anyother dog from her but she won't sell me another until my one is 2 years old.
    My pup was really easy to train, he was toilet trained within 4 days of being at home, he is really good for doing what he is told, and absolute loves to play fetch, they just really love to please.
    He does shed but you don't get hairs everywhere just a tumbleweed in the morning, thats it. He did blow his adult coat at 10 months but his adult coat is now almost in.
    I am definitely going to buy another F1B when I can.
    Labradoodles have lots of energy and need to be walked a couple of times a day, for about 30 to 45 minutes. Ideal I would walk him first thing in the morning and at tea time. He really loves the beach and swimming.
    Ours goes in his bed at about 10 and sleeps till about 10 if he has been walked twice.
    Labradoodles don't like to be left on their own for longer then a couple of hours so you need to keep this in mind as they will pine.
    They are just the must wonderful dogs, and I defy anyone not to love them if they actually get to meet one ;)

Nicky, I know of a lab poodle cross who came to Kildare from Scotland about a year ago (maybe slightly longer) and is up for re-homing because the owner had no clue just how much exercise and grooming this breed needs. Seemingly very high maintenance.

I wonder if in any way related to your future pup.

Would love another labradoodle - I wouldn't imagine they would have any problem getting someone to take it of their hands, has it be rehomed, if not could you send me the details.

They need to be trained for about 5 minutes every other day, they need the mental stimulation. They also need to be walked a couple of times a day

I called the owner of the dog on the day I was offered a potential home by suzi, but they never got back to me, so I assume they got sorted either way.

Hopefully he went to a home where someone wants a high energy intelligent dog because it suits their family and not because the name sounds cute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 nickyh59

Hi Sarah,
    I have the most beautiful and intelligent F1B labradoodle, he will be 1 in March.
    I got him from Brtaffs in Wexford and I know severel people who have also gotten their dogs from their - the owners name is Rose O Driscoll.
    I was considering buying anyother dog from her but she won't sell me another until my one is 2 years old.
    My pup was really easy to train, he was toilet trained within 4 days of being at home, he is really good for doing what he is told, and absolute loves to play fetch, they just really love to please.
    He does shed but you don't get hairs everywhere just a tumbleweed in the morning, thats it. He did blow his adult coat at 10 months but his adult coat is now almost in.
    Labradoodles have lots of energy and need to be walked a couple of times a day, for about 30 to 45 minutes. Ideal I would walk him first thing in the morning and at tea time. He really loves the beach and swimming.
    Ours goes in his bed at about 10 and sleeps till about 10 if he has been walked twice.
    Labradoodles don't like to be left on their own for longer then a couple of hours so you need to keep this in mind as they will pine.
    They are just the must wonderful dogs, and I defy anyone not to love them if they actually get to meet one ;)

I would love to see a picture of your dog if you have one? I am determined to get the best puppy that I can and am hooked on Labradoodles.
    Best wishes, Nicky

I called the owner of the dog on the day I was offered a potential home by suzi, but they never got back to me, so I assume they got sorted either way.

Hopefully he went to a home where someone wants a high energy intelligent dog because it suits their family and not because the name sounds cute.

Sorry misread the post and didn't realise Suzi had already offered a home.

Hope he went to a loving home too, these dogs have to be considered as a family member, they need company, thats really the most important thing for these loving and loyal dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Quick

Hi Sarah,

Hi, just wondering were your pups parents health tested for hip displasia, elbow scored and eye tested?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Quick wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering were your pups parents health tested for hip displasia, elbow scored and eye tested?

Thanks
    No he wasn't as far as I know, but, I am not 100% sure to be honest.

We did get him x rayed etc within a week of getting him - and as far as I know we could return him if there was any problems, but that was never going to happen once we had him.

It is recommended that these tests be done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement