Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR

Options

Comments

heybaby wrote: »
    How many people do you know of who have actually been asked to take part in the JNLR survey ever?? I have never met a single person and none of my radio friends have ever met a single person who took part in or heard of anyone anecdotally taking part in a JNLR survey. I

ts all a bit too cloak and dagger for me. The BAI need to come clean and give specifics about when and where JNLR surveys were actually taken and if need be a third party independently verify JNLR results.

There is far too much riding on the back of each book for the entire process to be so vague and shrouded in mystery. Why do I care? Because somebody somewhere will lose their job becasue of todays JNLR results.
    I've done 2 or 3 of them.
    For the record,I mostly listen to morning Ireland,Murray,kenny,news at one.
    Then it's newstalk for the afternoon including Hook for the drivetime.
    I've always been asked my age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mike65 wrote: »
    I bet there is a significant venn-diagram style crossover! Newstalk are probably favoured by FG and independent voters.

...then surely Newstalk is presently the most listened to station in the country. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Anybody notice the coverage in the Times? You have to get halfway down the story before they mention any station other than RTE. I'm a pretty conservative radio listener - my listening extends to RTE, Newstalk and Ray D'Arcy - but cripes, the story is narrow. It just seems like a typical "meedja talking about the meedja" story. Real people listen to 104 or 98FM or i102... Newspapers write about stations we should be listening to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Another thing I don't get about the figures.

I have alluded to this before but its worth mentioning again I think. A lot of my friends have started listening to Newstalk daily in the past year alone as they've taken an interest in politics and the economy (plus,theyre hitting that age along with myself :()

Now I know thats a tiny sample but surely this has been replicated elsewhere even amongst other posters here? I still dont believe for a second that Newstalk shows (except lunchtime) are dropping listeners...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    For what its worth, I've taken part in 2 surveys. A fair few years ago mind. Each time I was working in the same premises.

By premises, do you mean at home? If so it's unlikely that you participated in the JNLR.
    How many people do you know of who have actually been asked to take part in the JNLR survey ever?? I have never met a single person and none of my radio friends have ever met a single person who took part in or heard of anyone anecdotally taking part in a JNLR survey. I

ts all a bit too cloak and dagger for me. The BAI need to come clean and give specifics about when and where JNLR surveys were actually taken and if need be a third party independently verify JNLR results.

There is far too much riding on the back of each book for the entire process to be so vague and shrouded in mystery. Why do I care? Because somebody somewhere will lose their job becasue of todays JNLR results.

There's no mystery to it. Go to the JNLR site and it tells you how the survey is done and where the sampling points are. The sampling points differ for every survey. The survey itself is a very detailed questionaire that is conducted face to face in home. Every quarter hour of listening is gone through. It's all done by IPSOS MRBI one of the largest research companies in the state.

Given the size of the sample, it is unlikely that you would ever meet anybody who has done the JNLR survey. I know one person who has but that's it.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I should correct something "By premises, do you mean at home? If NOT it's unlikely that you participated in the JNLR."

JNLR interviews are only done in home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Clutterfree88

Have to agree with alot of the commments on NT, I'm of the vintage listening to pop stations in the 80's and now have Newstalk on from the clock alarm, car and the office, can't believe their figures aren't showing a significant lift especially in this election time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Anybody notice the coverage in the Times? You have to get halfway down the story before they mention any station other than RTE. I'm a pretty conservative radio listener - my listening extends to RTE, Newstalk and Ray D'Arcy - but cripes, the story is narrow. It just seems like a typical "meedja talking about the meedja" story. Real people listen to 104 or 98FM or i102... Newspapers write about stations we should be listening to

Tubridy referred to this article as being the most sober assessment of his disastrous JNLR results, even though all that assessment consisted of was an uncritical parroting of the head of 2fms rather unbelievable excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Have to agree with alot of the commments on NT, I'm of the vintage listening to pop stations in the 80's and now have Newstalk on from the clock alarm, car and the office, can't believe their figures aren't showing a significant lift especially in this election time.

You must remember that as you slide inexorably towards middle age to the sounds of NewsTalk there lots of people, now the age you were when you listened to pop stations and guess what they are doing?

Listening to pop stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rubik. wrote: »
    Tubridy referred to this article as being the most sober assessment of his disastrous JNLR results, even though all that assessment consisted of was an uncritical parroting of the head of 2fms rather unbelievable excuses.

Did he say disastrous? Please tell me he did!

• Advertisement

Did he say disastrous? Please tell me he did!

Nah, that was my take on them...not his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm not at all surprised. While Yates is an extremely competent performer, O Donoghue is merely a lightweight who has been found out. He doesn't carry the gravitas and intellect needed to go up against Morning Ireland.

yeah - my take on this: while a lot of us didn't like Claire Byrne, the numbers who turned off because of her were less than the numbers who turned on because of her. When she left, those people who listened to the show because of her (they exist!) turned off. Chris is a reporter, not an anchor.
    Also, the newstalk show is much more "listen to these peoples opinions on the news" whereas MI is more "here is the news, make up your own mind". I think in times like these, people just want the facts. It makes Newstalks "state run spin" campaign slightly ironic imo.

Any figures on the John Murray show? My god that show is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

heybaby wrote: »
    How many people do you know of who have actually been asked to take part in the JNLR survey ever??

Two or three. Not sure. But regardless, I dont doubt the genuinity of the survey and unlike you I dont see anything sinister or cloak-and-dagger about it.

tbh wrote: »

Any figures on the John Murray show? My god that show is muck.

Up 2,000 and in the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Regarding 2FM - a picture says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I agree, it's a shocking article,

Basically the RTE press release reproduced in full, and a few comments from the other stations with no objective analysis whatsoever.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0218/1224290139576.html?via=mr

Trouble is Team Tubs can still point to their show as the high point of the day.

The whole station is in deep trouble, at some point someone in RTEs top brass is going to say the unsayable - thats maybe its time to sell 2FM and pocket the cash. Not sure what you'd get for it though, and its hard to see what a potential buyer would see in it. Once you change a few presenters and music policies its a different station, I suppose its national coverage is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

The whole station is in deep trouble, at some point someone in RTEs top brass is going to say the unsayable - thats maybe its time to sell 2FM and pocket the cash.
    It should be the shareholder making that decision not RTE management.

The minister for Comms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Bard wrote: »
    Newstalk make money from sponsorship, sales of on-air advertising and from selling their news feed to other stations. If they are making a loss, it would presumably be offset by the profits of the other stations in the Communicorp group.

I presume it's not sutainable tho? the Breakfast show is getting 70,000 odd listeners same with Dunne they should be at least 100,000 each thus making more money for the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mega Buddy

Anyone got a breakdown of the shows... Who is leading with breakfast, drive etc??

Mega Buddy wrote: »
    Anyone got a breakdown of the shows... Who is leading with breakfast, drive etc??

The show by show breakdown is released to the relevant stations and (in edited form, I believe) to the press - not to the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is there no easier representation of the figures though Bard... it's very hard to follow.. I'd like to see it in an Excel sheet where I could compare like with like.

Is there no easier representation of the figures though Bard... it's very hard to follow.. I'd like to see it in an Excel sheet where I could compare like with like.

Not unless you work for a radio station, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Bard wrote: »
    Not unless you work for a radio station, no.

:mad::mad::mad: *kicks the cat*

Firstly, all the stations who are covered by the JNLR pay a hefty sum to be included in the survey. So no station is going to be giving the information out for free. The figures that are given out is topline data which is sufficient for public information.

The survey is not designed for consumers, one could argue that it in theory it's not a programming tool tool either (n theory). It's a quantitative research study to measure the success of advertising schedules. so it's a business tool and not one for consumers.

The JNLR tells nothing about the quality pf programming only the numbers listening. What is inferred from the research by programming folks is the relative success of presenters or shows. If a show has a large audience then one assumes that they are doing it right. If a presenter or show loses listeners then what does one assume? They are doing something wrong, a better alternative has become available or the actual audience no longer exists. It doesn't tell you why more or less people are listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Another avid Newstalk (mostly Breakfast/Moncrief) listener here.

In fairness RTE R1 is unfair competition - the high salaries make it harder for indo's to compete with it, look at RTE's report - it is very heavily subsidised. RTE 2FM actually made money and paid for itself last time I checked.

It's senseless that RTE is destroying 2FM and creating a larger dependence on the license fee. If they are not interested in it, they should sell it off like another poster suggested. RTE R1 should be run more commercially, they have the audience if we believe JNLR, why aren't they using it to fund the service they provide?

This is just one of the many things our humble state broadcaster is doing wrong, not least the spin of Tubridy vs. D'arcy they are trying to pull, claiming D'arcy is "one hour longer".

This is just one of the many things our humble state broadcaster is doing wrong, not least the spin of Tubridy vs. D'arcy they are trying to pull, claiming D'arcy is "one hour longer".

If anything it should make it harder for D'arcy to maintain bigger numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I'd love to know how the strawberry alarm clock is doing since the return of Jim Jim.

• Advertisement

Another avid Newstalk (mostly Breakfast/Moncrief) listener here.

In fairness RTE R1 is unfair competition - the high salaries make it harder for indo's to compete with it, look at RTE's report - it is very heavily subsidised. RTE 2FM actually made money and paid for itself last time I checked.

Not only that - each of these well paid RTE programmers have good sized production teams working alongside them.

Certainly D'Arcy would have a greater reach because of the length of the show but they are conveniently ignoring the other metrics that are comparable - average quarter hour and average audience.

Advertisement