Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR

Options
  • 17-02-2011 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

Initial results today seem to suggest 2fm and FF have a lot in common. Given that they've given us Hector, Lucy, Baz etc I won't be shedding any tears for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Hector now has 133,000 listeners. Don't know if that's up or down, but 2fm's twitter seems excited by it.

http://twitter.com/RTE2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭GSF

Rubik. wrote: »
    Hector now has 133,000 listeners. Don't know if that's up or down, but 2fm's twitter seems excited by it.

http://twitter.com/RTE2fm

Looks like RTE spin quoting Hectors average listenership and average quarter hours for Tubridy vs D'Arcy.

What they dont say is alot more enlightening!

EDIT:

AQH 7am-7pm
    Today FM 88k
    2FM 77k

Breakfast AQH
    Hector 59,000
    Ian Dempsey 80,875

Mid-Mornings AQH
    Tubridy 141,250
    Ray Darcy 131,500

RTE radio +1%
    2fm -1%
    Today fm no change
    Newstalk no change
    Lyric no change

http://bai.ie/pdfs/20110217_jnlr-jandec2010bf.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

What the hell? How can Newstalk's figures still be the same considering the public's appetite for anything current affairs related in the past year?!?

Practically everyone is talking politics or the economy, shouldnt this be reflected in their listening habits?? :confused:

Very very disappointing. How much longer can Denis O'Brien keep bankrolling it? If Newstalk folded, I for one would be devastated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2FM now on 13% of the national market (weekday reach), when this forum first started threads on the ratings 2FM was on about 20%
    JNLR WEEKDAY REACH FIGURES
    January – December 2005
    RTÉ 2FM - 21

January 2006-December 2006
    RTÉ 2FM - 18

October 2006 – September 2007
    RTÉ 2FM - 18

April 2008 – March 2009
    RTE 2FM - 16

JANUARY 2009 – DECEMBER 2009
    RTE 2FM - 15

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

More here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/listeners/

Radio 1
    Top 5 Programmes
    Morning Ireland (449,000)
    The Marian Finucane Show on Saturday(400,000)
    Liveline (392,000)
    The Marian Finucane Show on Sunday(369,000)
    The Business (351,000)

2fm
    Top 5 Programmes
    Tubridy (216,000)
    Colm Hayes (161,000)
    Zig & Zag's Smells like Saturday(143,000)
    Rick in the Afternoon (134,000)
    Breakfast with Hector (133,000)

Lyric fm
    Top 5 Programmes
    Niall Carroll's Classic Drive (50,000)
    Lorcan Murray's Class Drive on Saturday (49,000)
    Lorcan Murray's Classic Drive on Sunday (48,000)
    Sunday with Gay Byrne (46,000)
    Movies & Musicals(38,000)

Colmo52 wrote: »
    More here:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/listeners/

Radio 1
    Top 5 Programmes
    Morning Ireland (449,000)
    The Marian Finucane Show on Saturday(400,000)
    Liveline (392,000)
    The Marian Finucane Show on Sunday(369,000)
    The Business (351,000)

2fm
    Top 5 Programmes
    Tubridy (216,000)
    Colm Hayes (161,000)
    Zig & Zag's Smells like Saturday(143,000)
    Rick in the Afternoon (134,000)
    Breakfast with Hector (133,000)

Lyric fm
    Top 5 Programmes
    Niall Carroll's Classic Drive (50,000)
    Lorcan Murray's Class Drive on Saturday (49,000)
    Lorcan Murray's Classic Drive on Sunday (48,000)
    Sunday with Gay Byrne (46,000)
    Movies & Musicals(38,000)

The AQH figure is 141,000. How does this work? :confused:

telekon wrote: »
    The AQH figure is 141,000. How does this work? :confused:

216k is the total number of listeners for any part of the show. The average listener listens to the show for about 80 minutes not the full 120 minutes.

Personally I last about 30 seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Got this from jrnl.ie, NT breakfast show down 2,000 Hook down 5,000 Cooper down 1,000 Kenny and Morning Ireland all up. That's crazy if Newstalk Breakfast show is still losing listeners:eek:

Badabing wrote: »
    Got this from jrnl.ie, NT breakfast show down 2,000 Hook down 5,000 Cooper down 1,000 Kenny and Morning Ireland all up. That's crazy if Newstalk Breakfast show is still losing listeners:eek:

Ah ffs! I dont believe that for a second. So an improved, more topical than ever service is shedding numbers??? This doesnt make sense at all...

Claire Byrne was more of a hit than Chris and Ivan??...bullsh*t!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

GSF wrote: »
    216k is the total number of listeners for any part of the show. The average listener listens to the show for about 80 minutes not the full 120 minutes. Personally I last about 30 seconds :D

Can we work out how many people turn off when he mentions Willy Wonka or JFK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I'd imagine that 2FM are down because it's younger people who listen and they've all gone on the boat to England to work on the buildings.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I'd imagine that 2FM are down because it's younger people who listen and they've all gone on the boat to England to work on the buildings.
    plus 2FM told them to piss off as they weren't interested in them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Got this in the email from Radio Nova:

http://zoomailer.net/KQS-DC0F-7332T16F8B/cr.aspx

It says:
    We've already got more than half as many listeners in the Dublin commuter area as Today FM, 2FM and Newstalk - and we've already clocked up 120,000 weekly listeners!

18 weeks old and we're the fastest growing station in the business and the most successful radio station launch in years.

More here: http://www.nova.ie/2011/02/radio-novas-jnlr-figures/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I don't know the ins and out of how radio stations make money but i would presume that if Newstalks morning scheulde is doing very poorly in the JNLR they must be losing alot of money and on weekend mornings aswell.

Badabing wrote: »
    I don't know the ins and out of how radio stations make money but i would presume that if Newstalks morning scheulde is doing very poorly in the JNLR they must be losing alot of money and on weekend mornings aswell.

Newstalk make money from sponsorship, sales of on-air advertising and from selling their news feed to other stations. If they are making a loss, it would presumably be offset by the profits of the other stations in the Communicorp group.

This time last year Colm and JimJim had 24,000 more listeners than Hector does now.

Whoever decided that Tubridy and Hector was the way to go for 2fm has got it very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, I really can't believe newstalk's breakfast show is down on listeners. Its so much better than it was and it's rarely turned off before 10 in the van in mornings.

I call JNLR a sham.

Why? radio listeners are possibly the most conservative people on the planet when it comes to habit - RTE1 is where the dial stays morning noon and night every day of the week for hundreds of thousands. They probably don't know Newstalk exists.

telekon wrote: »
    Ah ffs! I dont believe that for a second. So an improved, more topical than ever service is shedding numbers??? This doesnt make sense at all...

Claire Byrne was more of a hit than Chris and Ivan??...bullsh*t!! :mad:
    Lads, I really can't believe newstalk's breakfast show is down on listeners. Its so much better than it was and it's rarely turned off before 10 in the van in mornings.

I call JNLR a sham.

I am in total agreement Fred.

I call shenanigans on this survey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I call JNLR a sham.
    I'm not at all surprised. While Yates is an extremely competent performer, O Donoghue is merely a lightweight who has been found out. He doesn't carry the gravitas and intellect needed to go up against Morning Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

JNLR figures are rubbish.

If you think they are accurate you are only fooling yourself.

sataction wrote: »
    JNLR figures are rubbish.

If you think they are accurate you are only fooling yourself.

Really? And what wonderful conclusive research have you got to back that up?

Lets face it, many advertisers rely on JNLR's to decide on who they should be running their ad campaigns with - so to radio stations, they're FAR from rubbish!

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm not at all surprised. While Yates is an extremely competent performer, O Donoghue is merely a lightweight who has been found out. He doesn't carry the gravitas and intellect needed to go up against Morning Ireland.

I dont think he's that bad TBH. Morning Ireland/RTE are too "in the governments pocket" for my liking. Newstalk gives a good honest broadcast and doesn't come across as having an agenda. If newstalk ceases to exist it will be a sad day for broadcasting in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

mike65 wrote: »
    Why? radio listeners are possibly the most conservative people on the planet when it comes to habit - RTE1 is where the dial stays morning noon and night every day of the week for hundreds of thousands. They probably don't know Newstalk exists.

I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm not sure how exactly the JNLR figures are gathered, but I'm guessing it's a random survey just asking people what they listen to? So they're not surveying radio 'fans', who listen to a lot of different stations/shows.

I'd imagine you're just going to get people who stick on the same station every day. If I mention the likes of 4FM or Nova to people, I'm amazed at how many have never even heard of them.......nevermind listen in.

Cole wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm not sure how exactly the JNLR figures are gathered, but I'm guessing it's a random survey just asking people what they listen to? So they're not surveying radio 'fans', who listen to a lot of different stations/shows.

A sample of 15,000 people are interviewed about what they listened to the day before.

http://www.info.ipsosmrbi.com/jnlr/methodology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Bard wrote: »
    Really? And what wonderful conclusive research have you got to back that up?

Lets face it, many advertisers rely on JNLR's to decide on who they should be running their ad campaigns with - so to radio stations, they're FAR from rubbish!

How many people do you know of who have actually been asked to take part in the JNLR survey ever?? I have never met a single person and none of my radio friends have ever met a single person who took part in or heard of anyone anecdotally taking part in a JNLR survey. I

ts all a bit too cloak and dagger for me. The BAI need to come clean and give specifics about when and where JNLR surveys were actually taken and if need be a third party independently verify JNLR results.

There is far too much riding on the back of each book for the entire process to be so vague and shrouded in mystery. Why do I care? Because somebody somewhere will lose their job becasue of todays JNLR results.

mike65 wrote: »

Yes and maybe those people are the same people who will still vote for Fianna Fail no matter how much they've fooked up the country.

I bet there is a significant venn-diagram style crossover! Newstalk are probably favoured by FG and independent voters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

heybaby wrote: »
    How many people do you know of who have actually been asked to take part in the JNLR survey ever?? I have never met a single person and none of my radio friends have ever met a single person who took part in or heard of anyone anecdotally taking part in a JNLR survey.
    For what its worth, I've taken part in 2 surveys. A fair few years ago mind. Each time I was working in the same premises.

Advertisement