Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever lost anything and been really gutted?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I can only think of one thinly I've lost and been completely devastated as a result. Years ago, when I was about 3, my dad brought home to me a fabulous koala bear teddy, he was just gorgeous so much so that the hierarchy of teddies was completely overthrown as a result :) Anyway, I brought the bear out to my babysitter's house the following day and when I went to get him when i was gone home, he'd vanished. Completely. Left no trail. It's still a complete mystery and I often think of it. Funny thing is, the babysitter never came across it and it's nearly twenty tears ago that it happened. I van only hypothesise that the other bears kidnapped and did away with him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

When our son was born nearly 7 years ago, my OH gave me an eternity ring. It vanished off the face of the earth about 2 years ago, thankfully he doesn't really pay much attention to whether I wear jewelry or not, but if he asked I'd lie. I couldn't admit to losing it, it was beautiful.

I lost a leather jacket, a phone, 2 wallets, - the usual stuff that I used to leave behind me in pubs/clubs, but only one jacket ever annoyed me - it wasn't even an expensive one, in fact I got it in a charity shop, but it was the absolute perfect lightweight black jacket. It went with everything. And I left it down on a windowsill one night when I was looking for money in my bag to pay for a taxi - walked off without it. It still annoys me, and that must be well over 5 years ago. I've never found a similar one since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I lost the gold watch my parents got me for my 18th (I think it fell into a binbag of rubbish when I was moving apartements). At the time I lost it my mam was sick and I couldnt face telling her so I searched every where for a replacement. Eventually I found a shop that could sell me the strap and casing but not the face - the new watch cost me €350 but it was worth it to me - so sickened over losing the oringinal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

It's a happy ending.

My friend that drove me from Dublin home the weekend I was away found my perfume. She had had a quick look and saw nothing, but found it when she looked under the seat yesterday. It must have fallen out of my handbag and I kicked it quite far back.

Am really pleased. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

My beautiful engagement ring a couple of years ago on velentines day. We had just come back from a weekend away and decided to go for something to eat before heading home. I went to get some cash for the ATM and it must have come of when I pulled my glove of to use the mashine. Noticed when we had finished dinner.

Spent the next 2 hours looking on the street in the P***ing rain. put ads in the local paper, radio, shops but no luck.

The insurance company payed up and my husband wanted to replace the ring and we got the most beautiful ring but I just never "fell" in love with it and have only worn it about a dozen time. I remember the jeweller saying that we might be better going for something other than another ring as most women never feel the same about it. He was so right and we both now wish we had spent the money on a holiday of a lifetime and not the replacement ring.

Will never get over losing my ring, it has so many special memories attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I don't mean to be rude but I once thought that I could set up a business backing up people's photo albums into HD scans on CDs - would people be interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brindybrunette

I lost all the text messages from my current boyfriend...made me a bit sad but I suppose I'm with him and thats all that matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RainbowNinja

i lost my iphone4 2 weeks ago.. gutted.. feel like i've lost my right arm...

didnt have it insured as thought it was insured on the house insurance.. but turns out it isnt!!

600e to replace it, which cant afford, and still locked into a contract for another year :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

well this is tiny compared to everyone elses stories of losing important jewerally and so on, but its a bit more light hearted. I remember when I was about 7, I had this pink little bag with kind of dark pink feathers on the top, a typical barbie girly bag and in it, I kept all my important things, at least things that a 7 year old would consider priceless, and in it, was basically a plastic key to a fairy castle I had gotten for christmas that year, a kids lipstick that I got in a girly magazine, a small poly pocket and a pair of pink sunglasses, and these came everywhere. Having the bag around my shoulder following my mam, I felt like a princess.haha.

But we were playing at the park one day and we were playing hide and seek and I hid inbetween a couple of trees, and sure I left the bag down and on our way home I remembered I had left it there, ran back but never found it. Came back the next day, nowhere to be seen.
    to this day I dont know what happened to it, but whenever I pass by the park I still get kind of a knot in my chest, lol. And everything in that bag to be honest back in those days, wouldnt have come to a tenner Id imagine. Funny how one mans trash is anothers mans treasure. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

A charm bracelet my first real BF bought for me, i lost it running to the pub lol serves me right....greedy bitch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

For some reason my father decided that the best place to store our home videos was in an unused BBQ in the back garden.
    He of course done this under his own steam, without consulting myself or the mother.
    Fast forward about 5 years, and I'm cleaning out the back garden and find a load of moss and mould that used to be videotapes.

Its equal parts hilarious and heart wrenching, because he's deceased now and of course I'd love to be able to watch him and hear his voice again.
    As a bonus though, I was a horrid child. So at least I'm spared my mother showing the guests tapes of me having baths out the back in mayonnaise buckets :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Do you still have the tapes? Given that they're plastic, they might clean up enough to get the video off them. It's worth a try, there are probably companies out there who will do that sort of thing.

Oh, and we obviously want to see the mayonnaise bucket thing... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Do you still have the tapes? Given that they're plastic, they might clean up enough to get the video off them. It's worth a try, there are probably companies out there who will do that sort of thing.

Oh, and we obviously want to see the mayonnaise bucket thing... ;)

The tapes inside had gone rotten... And there was insects in them... UGH. Skin crawling thinking about it!
    Laughed my head off at first, because, let's face it, it isn't what you expect to find in a BBQ. Then I cried when I copped what they were. Then I laughed until I cried because it was such a Dad thing to do, so all in all I think I'd rather have that moment of utter "WTF?" when I found them than the tapes. Sure all the memories I need are in the noggin!
    .... My Lion King video was in there too. Still sore about that.

I have no idea why the bathing in mayonnaise buckets, in the background of various videos there's a neglected baby bath lurking in the corner, but no, big mayonnaise buckets it was. We got a lodger once and when I came in to introduce myself to her she was watching that particular tape with my parents. Very embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I had a white gold and garnet necklace my OG bought me as a present back from South Africa. I wore it everywhere. We went to South Africa together for a visit at Christmas. I had the necklace on leaving his granny's house and then went to play with it on the plane (was always fiddling with the pendant part) and it was gone. I've no idea how it happened but it must have fallen off. I'm still upset about it. My OH doesn't buy me jewellery often and it meant a lot to me. It was just weird I lost it on the way back from SA when that is where it came from!

I lose jewellery a lot. I've a box full of odd earrings. Recently an earring fell off at work and I heard it hit the floor but then I couldn't find it anywhere. My colleagues were all on their hands and knees looking for it. We looked under everything. I've no idea where it went.

I got engaged recently and my engagement ring is never coming off. Ever! I don't care what I'm up to. The diamond in it is from my OH's mother's engagement ring and for it's sentimental valiue is irreplaceable. I'm not chancing ever removing it, knowing me and my terrible track record with jewellery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I lost a beautiful pair of purple leather Dents gloves a few weeks ago. They were so elegant and such a beautiful colour, and now all the gloves are gone from the shops until the fall.:(

Other than those the most important thing I've lost is my perspective, frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

George carlin on losing things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Ha, interesting thread title...

Yeah, in the last 6 months, I've lost my house twice.
    Was in both of them when they lost walls and was there to watch the first one get bulldozed only 2 weeks before losing the second one.

Can't begin to explain to anyone who's not experienced it too the horrible sense of loss losing my home, my space, my writings (in the first house, they were all on the wall).

After losing my home, honestly, I very much stopped caring about my possessions. I was happy that I happened to be wearing the clothes I was, cos I quite liked those ones, and I had my pet rat.

Been quite minimalist since, and don't really miss anything I left behind... but for one necklace an ex gave me that it took a while to take off after we broke up (I'd never taken it off before, in about 3-4 years), I decided to take it off, more symbolically than anything else, with the hope of maybe wearing it again in time, but it just didnt feel right at that point of life.....

Couldn't find it to save my life. Not that we had much time to go salvage things that we had, but just couldnt find it, still pretty gutted, and haven't found a replacement necklace yet, 6 months later now, neck still looks weird and naked.

Advertisement