Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever lost anything and been really gutted?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just 5 weeks into a pretty bad breakup. We broke up after xmas and one of the gifts he gave me at xmas was a bottle of perfume.

I was away at the weekend visiting friends and it appears I lost it :(

I was doing so good but all of a sudden I almost feel back to square one.

I actually feel ridiculous typing this. I really thought I was moving on but obviously I'm not and I am teary again. Over a bottle of perfume.

Am sure I will get over it, but just feel really sad today and feel as if I havent moved on as much as I thought I had. :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I lost my camera on the night of my Graduation :( I was in tears over it, and not just because all of my photos from the day were on it. My Aunty had come up to Dublin, and the day beforehand I'd taken her out to see a house she used to work and live in 40 years ago, and we took some photos of her standing outside it to take home with her. It really meant alot to her, so when I lost the camera I felt like I'd ruined it on her. But, I decided to take her back to it the next day, and this time I chanced my luck knocking on the door - and the tenants let her go in to have a look around! It was brilliant- like somehow walking through the life she had way back then.

If I hadn't lost my camera, that never would have happened :)

I hope you're ok OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I lost a pair of diamond earrings in the laundry. I was sick. They were a gift from a co worker.

The post office "lost" alot of family footage of us as kids that my late father took of us and the family growing up. My brother sent them to me in the post not knowing I was away at the time and they got redirected into postal never never land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

G86 - how lovely. That made me smile! :)

Diamond earrings metrovelvet... jeez... I'd never get over that :D

Ah, am OK, suppose it is just letting go really, it's all a part of it. It was a big bottle of perfume, Chance by Chanel. I remember thinking by the time I finished it I'd be in a happier place and I loved the scent so liked wearing it. And if I am honest I kind of smothered myself in it to finish it quicker :D What am I like!?!

Onwards and upwards, teary moment over now. I was a bleedin' mess earlier.:rolleyes:

When I was about 11 and going to the beach with my family, I left a snorkel and mask on the train. It was a xmas present (again!) and I remember being gutted for weeks after that. I was in Australia so it was summer and I had to see everyone else snorkelling away all day.... I thought I'd never get over that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I lost a pair of Oakleys, on a day when it rained torrentially:rolleyes:

I still have no idea how they got lost, or how I didn't notice. I went and bought a replacement pair, but I'm still annoyed with myself for losing the first pair:mad::p

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scillaria

I went away on a weekend trip with the girls and lost my engagement ring had it only for a few months. Thankfully my other half didn't mind. So I went an bought another one to replace the one I lost. Im still annoyed with myself for losing it as have no idea where it went

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I was born in Cali, and when my mother moved us back to Canada for good, she packed all of our family photos, my baby photos, videos, family history albums, scrapbooks etc into a very clearly marked box.

Of course, that was the only box of ours that the airline managed to lose.

To this day I have maybe a total of 20 photos from my childhood. I wasn't really upset at the time (I was 7) but I'm really upset about it now, especially considering I don't remember much of my childhood and those would have been amazing for me to have now.

It kind of feels like the 7 years I spent there don't exist at all, I have so few memories and no evidence of it. It's kind of a weird feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i lost my camera on holiday in thailand...the biggest holiday i was ever gonna take in my lifetime. i had the most amazing photos ..i was just in awe everywhere i went. my friend gave me some of hers but she picked out what she wanted me to have and they just dont tell the same story.

i get so sad every time i think about it. i went the second week with no camera as i couldnt afford to buy a new one...broke my heart being in such a beautiful place and not being able to capture my memories.

thats what i get for being slightly intoxicated!...the photos from that night alone would have been awesome! harsh lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

On a school trip to England I lost a hundred pounds (which was a hell of a lot of money to me). The worst part was when a teacher from the other school we were visiting FOUND the hundred pounds, told us and never sent it back. :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I lost all the emails from my early 'courting' days with my husband. Fracking Windows. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I lost a gold Claddagh ring that belonged to my grandmother a few years back. My mum passed it on to me for my confirmation. Still haven't told her that I lost it because she'd be gutted. If she asks why I don't wear it, I just say that I don't feel like wearing any rings at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

When I was in secondary school, in 1st year myself and the girls I shared a dorm with made a "radio show" and recorded it onto tape. it was really funny, I found it when I was about 16 again and listened to it.

I have no idea where it is now. I'd give a hell of a lot to find it again, just for the memories. We had so much fun writing the plays and the ads and recording it.

Just goes to show how boring boarding school is... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

On a school trip to England I lost a hundred pounds (which was a hell of a lot of money to me). The worst part was when a teacher from the other school we were visiting FOUND the hundred pounds, told us and never sent it back. :mad:

What!?! Damn thief! What the actual fuck?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a necklace my grandmother got me for my 18th birthday. I was wearing it one day and noticed that the chain had opened and the pendant had fallen off at some point during the day. I never did find it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

What was the perfume OP?

I lose everything. It's a running joke among my friends that I need to be chaperoned on a night out because it's likely I could lose my wallet, phone, ID, jacket and shoes.

To date I have lost:

Four wallets
    A really AWESOME camera
    $500 cash
    Countless phones, gloves, umbrellas etc.
    Several dresses
    Many, many items of clothing
    My straightener

Once, in an airport I just put down my passport and walked away. Luckily someone ran after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Last year I lost a funny note that my favourite teacher wrote to me in sixth year. I used to look at it almost every day, I was so upset when I lost it. I still feel sad when I think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

LambsEye; right there with ya!! :D think Ive got better now, but from 15-20 I was a disaster!! To the extent that I have lost four passports (ID on nights out) and had to have an identity theft interview!!

The most sentimental thing ive lost is the diamond ring my boyfriend bought me on our second Christmas together. I absolutely loved it and it was the most amazing suprise, so Im gutted tbh. Im pretty sure its in the house somewhere but Ive looked everywhere and cant find it for the life of me! Told the fella and he was cool and said itll show up-thought he was gonna kill me :o three weeks on so hopefully itll turn up someday soon...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Only last week on the way home I lost a lovely scarf that I'd been given for Christmas, I had a matching hat and gloves too so I was really annoyed I'd lost part of the set. I found it online though, and ordered another, which arrived yesterday. Yay! It was on sale and they only had a few left, chances are if I'd lost the scarf in a couple of weeks I wouldn't be able to find a replacement

A few years ago I lost a bracelet my ex had given me, not long after we'd broken up. I lost it at a very drunken house party, I combed the place the next morning when we were cleaning but no luck. I'd kissed another guy at the party, and my weird not-over-my-ex-yet logic told me that this was why I'd lost the bracelet :D This seems hilarious to me now!

We have a family ring, and each of us was given one by our grandparents on our 21st birthday. My brother lost his one last year, he suddenly noticed when he was paying for something in a shop, meaning that he could have dropped it anywhere. He was particularly upset about it because he associated it with our grandfather, who has since passed away. My parents got him another one, and gave it to him the day of his PhD graduation, so that it will have happy memories as well.

I remember being really little and going to the amusements at Bray. I had to beg my parents to let me play enough games so that I could get a little mini etch-a-sketch. I managed to win enough tokens that I could buy it, using tokens from that day and all the other tokens I had saved up from previous visits. After the arcade my parents took me to the pub so they could have a drink and after I left I realised I didn't have it. I pleaded with my parents to let me go back to look for it but they said no one would take it and we could pick it up on the way home. I spent all day waiting to get back to the pub and when I did it was gone. :(

Who steals a kids toy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 marywary

When I was in 2nd year in Secondary School we celebrated the schools centenary and as part of the celebrations we had a school photo taken of the whole school which would have been 1000+ students and all staff as well. It was done as a scroll type of thing. That was in UK & I moved here over 20 years ago and left it with my sister in her house. She moved house and the photo is missing ever since. I've emailed the school to try and see if I could get a copy but no luck I'm afraid. Gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

my figure about 10 years ago..can't seem to get it back at all:(

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

A digital Camera on my last night of a beautiful week in Budapest - where it was a winter wonderland and its a city that really lends itself to that. Rememeber taking great pictures up in the old town with all its snow covered turrets and wonderful icicles. The Danube was partially iced over and had these amazing hot springs throwing up steamy geysers. Had a nice celebratory meal and a few drinks (after very successful dental work) and panic the next morning , before dash to airport - no sign of camera. Left in taxi i suspect. You get really cross at yourself - I had been Soooo careful up to then! Never again etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

A bracelet my dad bought me for my graduation.

It fell off me when some cow attacked me. I don't think I've ever been more upset about anything in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Yeah I had a claddagh diamond necklace for graduation/21st from my mam.

And then another diamond necklace my ex got me for christmas one year. i lost it the 1st day i put it on!! Still have the gold necklace for 2 of them funny enough, but lost the diamond pendants

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I lost an earring a few weeks ago and im still gutted, it was tiffany and they were the first thing i bought for myself out of my first paycheck, ive worn them day and night for about 6 years, they were nothing special, just plain silver, but i loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

My virginity.

(Seriously. Not in an AH 'haha' way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I lost a memory stick with all my first and second year work (essays/presentations), I moved around alot so it could have been lost in transit or anything. I'm not gutted, but I do have a feeling it will turn up somewhere even though .....My first year writing was absolutely shocking away. But it would still be nice to look through my old essays and compare them to my 3rd year writings and my thesis :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Novella wrote: »
    My virginity.

(Seriously. Not in an AH 'haha' way!)

You beat me to it, i was going to say that!!

I lost a really nice bracelet in edinburgh once, tried to re trace my steps, but had gone into too many shops :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A very close friend living in canada sent me a wolf pendant. Little round metal kinda thing. Absolutely treasured it, but the clasp broke on the bus one day and I didn't notice until later in the day. No luck in lost&found
    :(
    God, that was about 9 years ago now I think. Still remember how bad i felt about it

Lost contact with her a few years ago, wonder how she is doing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I had a lovely notebook full of my first sketches and poems and I ended up leaving it behind on a school tour i was devasted and even when i think of it now i feel sick :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

When I was in primary school I had a teeny tiny purse and I managed to save 8 pounds, in pound coins. I'd never had that much money that was all mine before. I brought the purse everywhere, and then one day in school, it was suddenly gone. All my money in the world. For years and years and even nowadays I still think I'll find it somewhere, that it's just stuck behind a couch somewhere :o I was absolutely devastated for ages because of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Lost a beautiful silver charm bracelet, that was originally my mothers:(. It was given to her years ago by girl's she worked with, and my Dad had got her charms for it over the years. She gave it to me to wear for my Debs, over 20 years ago. OH got me charms to add to it also. Moved out of home and seem to remember having it with me at first house I moved to. After that it's just a complete blank, couldn't tell you where it went to. My mother knows its missing for years now and I feel so bad about it, would give anything to know where it got to. Had total clearout of attic etc recently and prayed I'd come across it, especially since Dad has since passed away, and Mam would be thrilled to see it again.

My Dad's Dad was in the Old IRA, so he had shots fired over his coffin. My Dad picked up a bullet casing and handed it to me and told me to keep it. Kept it for years, it went missing once and OH found it. But then it went missing again, never to be found:(

And another bracelet:o. OH got me a really cool silver bracelet, very unusual. At one point I put it on and remember didn't take it off at all, can remember saying I'd not taken it off for well over a year. Then suddenly realise its not on my wrist anymore. Can only think it must have fell off somewhere, as I'd no intentions of taking it off. I'm sickened:(

Advertisement