Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Calleary's election Literature

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Open House wrote: »
    To Tonymayo. My apologies, you didn't say anything about Dara walking away or stepping down. Mayotom says he wants Dara to withdraw from the election. Why doesn't some of the anti Dara people bring the offending literature to Dara's office and ask for an explanation and hear what he has to say on all the controversial issues. Returning triumphant or otherwise, you could enlighten the rest of us. It seems a waste of valuable of pre election time to keep going over the subject again and again without any answers.

Answer: No comment

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Completely off topic again :o

Sorry, your right!! I won't reply as I said previously I wouldn't take it off topic! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Because to burn the bondholders totally would mean the banks couldn't be financed when needed to keep the banks afloat for the ordinary Irish citizen. Mistakes were made by Fianna fail, mistakes were made by everyone. is there no culpability for the person who buys or builds a house on a mortgage that if they thought rationally that they could not pay. throwing holidays on the credit card and buying as much on the never never as possible?? is that the fault of any government. The very people who complained of the nanny state interfering in their lives are now clamouring that the state interfere in their lives and save many of them from their own mistakes. Many people are in dire straits through no fault of their own, but many should take a look in the mirror and see who wanted the lavish lifestyle that was unaffordable on the wages they were earning. While the banks should have been better regulated and prevented from giving out the loan to wage ratios they did, there is also the question of people taking money that they couldn't afford to pay back even if the good times continued.I freely admit Fianna fail made mistakes and Fianna fail went away from what it stood for for generations, but some people themselves have some portion of the blame to take. Sdaly looking around to blame others for our own problems has always been an Irish trait.

Harry, you have been on here several times trying to twist and turn FF's role in power and unfortunately people aren't buying your spin because they are able to assess the facts themselves. It is getting irritating now as I think that we are both living in different worlds where your life (and interpretation of it) seems to be a lot less harsher than everyone else's because FF actually weren't that bad in power after all.

It's time to set that record straight. FF were the stewards of our economy, our political system. The Irish people delegated that responsiblity to them and they made decisions on our behalf that put individuals (corrupt bankers and developers) interests before the very people that elected them to be the custodians and safeguards of our wellbeing (financial and otherwise). The most galling part of that is the bank guraantee scheme in September 2008 when prior to that analysts and Anglo management were saying that the bank was "fundamentally sound" and that there was "no liquidity problems". The market itself took a different view as Anglo's share price went south, rapid.

To put this in perspective - the Irish people have guaranteed to pay our European master €100bn and all carried out by FF. PLEASE. Saying that FF had to safeguard the depositers is throwing the light away from the real reason of the bank bailout and more of your spin - to protect vested interests in the banks. We know that Cowen was buddy buddy with Seanie both taking a call from him in MArch 2008 and then attending a golf dinner in July where they didn't happen to discuss the Banks falling share price? That is cronyism at its best (or worst depending on your stance). You can spin whatever how you want but facts are facts......

For Bertie to come out in 2007 and criticise the economist Morgan Kelly (who rightly called our boom a bubble) by indicating that naysayers should commit suicide was wrong. He failed to look objectively at the evidence that was presented and analyse the facts in a reasoned and coherent way. Why not? It didn't suit him politically - he put the interest of FF before the interests of the Irish people. That is why we are now saddled with a bailout of €440bn and our financial soverignity p*ssed away for generations to come.

The problems that the Irish people will have to live with for decades to come - unemployment, emigration, falling GNP, broke financial system, crippling debts that the Irish people are going to have to default on as there is no other alternative are the problems of FF and is why FF is gonna suffer for many years to come. These problems are indelibly etched on people's minds and pay slips.....

Bear with me, I don't for a second think FG is gonna save the day either but change for change sake at this stage is a positive step. Inda's call for accessing liquidity for SMEs on one hand and on the other stating that no more money is gonna be pumped into the banks is contradictory in the least. That's another story and more smoke and mirrors.

Anecdotally the stories of Brian Cowen mismanagement of both FF and the Ireland PLC do not position the Irish electorate/people in a favourable light on an international stage or with our European masters (though in fairness, the Irish people never voted for him as Taoiseach). These are sickening and are part of the reason why FF is bad for irish people's health and sanity. These are some of the one's that are doing the rounds;
    • He faxed the €440bn bank guarantee to the ECB from a pub! This is referenced 4 times in Michael Lewis's article in Vanity Fair.
    • He spilt a pint of Guiness on Obama's top Irish adviser at a St. Patricks Day White house gig in 2009.
    • His hissy fit in Mount Falcon over breakfast before Xmas as he couldn't get up in time for breakfast.
    • His drunken antics at the FF bash in September 2010 and appearing on RTE 1 radio drunk/badly hung over.
    Two of the above I can't substantiate as I wasn't there but I have no reason to doubt them as the other two have some credence.

With regard to your assertion that we are all responsible for this mess (or FF is less so than everyone else is posting on here) that we find ourselves is more of the arrogance of the intellect that a previous poster referred to. There are people that didn't engage in excess or make lavish lifestyle decisions that ordinary decent people are now paying the price for because our political masters at the time were irresponsible in their stewardship role. For those people that invested their nest eggs in BoI, AIB & Anglo and who are now caught in a double whammy where they are also paying increased taxes (direct & indirect) is WRONG.

Please see link below to an honest decision made by honest people where the political stewards, Fianna Fail, failed in their stewardship of the national interest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2011/0217/1224290016194.html

Unfortunately this is only a sign of times to come where a lot more innocent people who didn't live lavish lifestyles etc will undergo tremendous hardship at the hands of the state & state controlled enterprises due to mismanagement of the FF party of Ireland PLC.

With regard to Dara Calleary - he is a decent hard working politician and representative who has delivered some (and maybe over credited himself for other projects ;)) good for Mayo. However, I have no doubt that he is no more or no less hard working, decent as the rest of the field. I am sure MM if elected will show the same dedication and commitment in developing Mayo's infrastructure - she has a vested interest in this hard work (as Dara or any other politician has) as it is the basis on which she will be relected at the next GE. Personally, I would prefer Calleary unfortunately he is with the wrong party, as for the reasons outlined.

Well Harry, my rant has not been so much directed at FF and their (mis)management of the good of the Irish people but defending the indefensible. I think its time you come clean and confirm if you in any way benefit from defending FF and DC. Or maybe put another way, have you anything personally to lose if DC doesn't get elected?

The answer to that might shed some light on your unwavering support of FF......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

finisklin wrote: »
    Harry, you have been on here several times trying to twist and turn FF's role in power and unfortunately people aren't buying your spin because they are able to assess the facts themselves. It is getting irritating now as I think that we are both living in different worlds where your life (and interpretation of it) seems to be a lot less harsher than everyone else's because FF actually weren't that bad in power after all.

It's time to set that record straight. FF were the stewards of our economy, our political system. The Irish people delegated that responsiblity to them and they made decisions on our behalf that put individuals (corrupt bankers and developers) interests before the very people that elected them to be the custodians and safeguards of our wellbeing (financial and otherwise). The most galling part of that is the bank guraantee scheme in September 2008 when prior to that analysts and Anglo management were saying that the bank was "fundamentally sound" and that there was "no liquidity problems". The market itself took a different view as Anglo's share price went south, rapid.

To put this in perspective - the Irish people have guaranteed to pay our European master €100bn and all carried out by FF. PLEASE. Saying that FF had to safeguard the depositers is throwing the light away from the real reason of the bank bailout and more of your spin - to protect vested interests in the banks. We know that Cowen was buddy buddy with Seanie both taking a call from him in MArch 2008 and then attending a golf dinner in July where they didn't happen to discuss the Banks falling share price? That is cronyism at its best (or worst depending on your stance). You can spin whatever how you want but facts are facts......

For Bertie to come out in 2007 and criticise the economist Morgan Kelly (who rightly called our boom a bubble) by indicating that naysayers should commit suicide was wrong. He failed to look objectively at the evidence that was presented and analyse the facts in a reasoned and coherent way. Why not? It didn't suit him politically - he put the interest of FF before the interests of the Irish people. That is why we are now saddled with a bailout of €440bn and our financial soverignity p*ssed away for generations to come.

The problems that the Irish people will have to live with for decades to come - unemployment, emigration, falling GNP, broke financial system, crippling debts that the Irish people are going to have to default on as there is no other alternative are the problems of FF and is why FF is gonna suffer for many years to come. These problems are indelibly etched on people's minds and pay slips.....

Bear with me, I don't for a second think FG is gonna save the day either but change for change sake at this stage is a positive step. Inda's call for accessing liquidity for SMEs on one hand and on the other stating that no more money is gonna be pumped into the banks is contradictory in the least. That's another story and more smoke and mirrors.

Anecdotally the stories of Brian Cowen mismanagement of both FF and the Ireland PLC do not position the Irish electorate/people in a favourable light on an international stage or with our European masters (though in fairness, the Irish people never voted for him as Taoiseach). These are sickening and are part of the reason why FF is bad for irish people's health and sanity. These are some of the one's that are doing the rounds;
    • He faxed the €440bn bank guarantee to the ECB from a pub! This is referenced 4 times in Michael Lewis's article in Vanity Fair.
    • He spilt a pint of Guiness on Obama's top Irish adviser at a St. Patricks Day White house gig in 2009.
    • His hissy fit in Mount Falcon over breakfast before Xmas as he couldn't get up in time for breakfast.
    • His drunken antics at the FF bash in September 2010 and appearing on RTE 1 radio drunk/badly hung over.
    Two of the above I can't substantiate as I wasn't there but I have no reason to doubt them as the other two have some credence.

With regard to your assertion that we are all responsible for this mess (or FF is less so than everyone else is posting on here) that we find ourselves is more of the arrogance of the intellect that a previous poster referred to. There are people that didn't engage in excess or make lavish lifestyle decisions that ordinary decent people are now paying the price for because our political masters at the time were irresponsible in their stewardship role. For those people that invested their nest eggs in BoI, AIB & Anglo and who are now caught in a double whammy where they are also paying increased taxes (direct & indirect) is WRONG.

Please see link below to an honest decision made by honest people where the political stewards, Fianna Fail, failed in their stewardship of the national interest.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2011/0217/1224290016194.html

Unfortunately this is only a sign of times to come where a lot more innocent people who didn't live lavish lifestyles etc will undergo tremendous hardship at the hands of the state & state controlled enterprises due to mismanagement of the FF party of Ireland PLC.

With regard to Dara Calleary - he is a decent hard working politician and representative who has delivered some (and maybe over credited himself for other projects ;)) good for Mayo. However, I have no doubt that he is no more or no less hard working, decent as the rest of the field. I am sure MM if elected will show the same dedication and commitment in developing Mayo's infrastructure - she has a vested interest in this hard work (as Dara or any other politician has) as it is the basis on which she will be relected at the next GE. Personally, I would prefer Calleary unfortunately he is with the wrong party, as for the reasons outlined.

Well Harry, my rant has not been so much directed at FF and their (mis)management of the good of the Irish people but defending the indefensible. I think its time you come clean and confirm if you in any way benefit from defending FF and DC. Or maybe put another way, have you anything personally to lose if DC doesn't get elected?

The answer to that might shed some light on your unwavering support of FF......

You have interpreted my whole statement as defending the indefensible, I am quite readily admitting that many things were done wrong, I have just said that there are plenty of things that an element of the population of this country have to accept responsibility for as well. there are many others hurting through no fault of their own.

Unsubstantiated rumours I won't even comment on. I will however say that Cowens leadership was disastrous at times. Aherns dicatatorship within the party was also disastrous as it led to consensus rather than debate, which probably led to some of the terrible decisions taken.

As for coming clean, what are you trying to imply by your question? What to your mind do you think I have to lose? My life will go on next week in exactly the same way as it has this week. I will lose nothing.

You have interpreted my whole statement as defending the indefensible, I am quite readily admitting that many things were done wrong, I have just said that there are plenty of things that an element of the population of this country have to accept responsibility for as well. there are many others hurting through no fault of their own.

Unsubstantiated rumours I won't even comment on. I will however say that Cowens leadership was disastrous at times. Aherns dicatatorship within the party was also disastrous as it led to consensus rather than debate, which probably led to some of the terrible decisions taken.

As for coming clean, what are you trying to imply by your question? What to your mind do you think I have to lose? My life will go on next week in exactly the same way as it has this week. I will lose nothing.

Harry, on two occasions you have been confronted by posters questioning your interpretation of the political crisis that we're in and in particular the spin that FF isn't too blame or is less culpable than we think (despite the above). Coming from an apolitical background, I have taken exception to your views and outlined an objective, fact based presentation of realities that may have not reached Hogwarts yet.

My question at the end is one in which if I had the answer I wouldn't have asked and to which you haven't replied, yet. Only to say that from my limited experience and insight into all things political, sometimes it is worthwhile to have an open, healthy & cynical mind. That unfortunately is part of the reason why we are in the mess that we are in - politics!

BTW, looks like DC is up agin....the polls and pundits are indicating 4 FG seats for Mayo. Gonna be an exciting run in......

Interestingly, haven't had one canvasser to the door yet.....it's been a strange kind of election. Except when you turn on the radio and tv its election fever!

• Advertisement

Harry, on two occasions you have been confronted by posters questioning your interpretation of the political crisis that we're in and in particular the spin that FF isn't too blame or is less culpable than we think (despite the above). Coming from an apolitical background, I have taken exception to your views and outlined an objective, fact based presentation of realities that may have not reached Hogwarts yet.

My question at the end is one in which if I had the answer I wouldn't have asked and to which you haven't replied, yet. Only to say that from my limited experience and insight into all things political, sometimes it is worthwhile to have an open, healthy & cynical mind. That unfortunately is part of the reason why we are in the mess that we are in - politics!

BTW, looks like DC is up agin....the polls and pundits are indicating 4 FG seats for Mayo. Gonna be an exciting run in......

Interestingly, haven't had one canvasser to the door yet.....it's been a strange kind of election. Except when you turn on the radio and tv its election fever!

I did answer the question, in the very last line, I have nothing to lose by his not being elected. I will still be going to my job come next week, I will still be involved in every other thing I am involved in. I happen to have been a life long member of Fianna Fail. That is the only sin I am guilty of.

I am not trying to say Fianna Fail did not make mistakes, they did, they made serious mistakes at times. All I am saying is that it is frustrating that people do not see that they themselves may have overreached, including my own friends. Some of the mortgages they have are horrendous, proper regulation would have prevented them from getting these loans, but how some of them ever planned on paying them back even in the good times is a mystery to me ( or else I am underpaid ). The grassroots of the party had been screaming stop for a long time, not listened by those at the top, a lot of people are angry within the party. We do however look at the alternatives and see not a lot of hope there either.

The realities have Hogwarts big time, but I also realise we are up the creek and nobody brought the paddle and that taxes must go up and cuts must be made. I am down a lot of money, my drive to work is being crippled by oil prices on top of that, but I realise I have to pay, not saying someone has to pay, just not me.

If you are not happy with my answer to having a personal interest in DC's re-election then pm me, I will answer more clearly there, I am not about to display my personal life in the nuthouse that passes for boards.ie

I did answer the question, in the very last line, I have nothing to lose by his not being elected. I will still be going to my job come next week, I will still be involved in every other thing I am involved in. I happen to have been a life long member of Fianna Fail. That is the only sin I am guilty of.

I am not trying to say Fianna Fail did not make mistakes, they did, they made serious mistakes at times. All I am saying is that it is frustrating that people do not see that they themselves may have overreached, including my own friends. Some of the mortgages they have are horrendous, proper regulation would have prevented them from getting these loans, but how some of them ever planned on paying them back even in the good times is a mystery to me ( or else I am underpaid ). The grassroots of the party had been screaming stop for a long time, not listened by those at the top, a lot of people are angry within the party. We do however look at the alternatives and see not a lot of hope there either.

The realities have Hogwarts big time, but I also realise we are up the creek and nobody brought the paddle and that taxes must go up and cuts must be made. I am down a lot of money, my drive to work is being crippled by oil prices on top of that, but I realise I have to pay, not saying someone has to pay, just not me.

If you are not happy with my answer to having a personal interest in DC's re-election then pm me, I will answer more clearly there, I am not about to display my personal life in the nuthouse that passes for boards.ie

Harry, where has your criticism been for the past number of years? Constructive insight like this is what the party needed and even as a previous poster has referenced DC standing shoulder to shoulder with Cowen after the first abortive heave smacks of shortsightedness on his part, given that one from his own constituency could see things were not right internally?

For me its too late to shout close the gate once the horse has bolted. De damage has been done. The fact that you have been a life long Fianna Fail supporter (Or even FG, Lab etc.) is what is wrong with Irish political life......why can we not assess candidates/parties on their relative merits and vote accordingly? May this should be your political awakening and cathartic moment....to reach out for a new political begining and understanding? Though when one considers MM, MR O'Mahony & Inda, maybe not! ;)

I do think that FF's contrition will be repaying Inda's forthcoming gaff's, of which there will be a few though not maybe of the same magnitude as Cowen etc. in full frontal assualts in the media/Dail. The economic and political backdrop is so serious that it's the perfect landscape for a Dan Quayle like reincarnation......:pac:......:pac:......:pac:.....

Harry, where has your criticism been for the past number of years? Constructive insight like this is what the party needed and even as a previous poster has referenced DC standing shoulder to shoulder with Cowen after the first abortive heave smacks of shortsightedness on his part, given that one from his own constituency could see things were not right internally?

For me its too late to shout close the gate once the horse has bolted. De damage has been done. The fact that you have been a life long Fianna Fail supporter (Or even FG, Lab etc.) is what is wrong with Irish political life......why can we not assess candidates/parties on their relative merits and vote accordingly? May this should be your political awakening and cathartic moment....to reach out for a new political begining and understanding? Though when one considers MM, MR O'Mahony & Inda, maybe not! ;)

I do think that FF's contrition will be repaying Inda's forthcoming gaff's, of which there will be a few though not maybe of the same magnitude as Cowen etc. in full frontal assualts in the media/Dail. The economic and political backdrop is so serious that it's the perfect landscape for a Dan Quayle like reincarnation......:pac:......:pac:......:pac:.....

I can tell you now that the grassroots have been screaming stop for quite a long time, unfortunately under Ahern that kind of grassroots connection was lost. It has been a long time since my criticism and the criticism of others has been voiced internally. I do judge parties by policies, Fine Gael are not and never will be a party I can see myself supporting purely and simply because of their middle class policies. Labour was the closest ideologically to me after Fianna Fail but this election has switched me off them completely. It might interest you to know that on three occasions over the last 20 years I have voted for non Fianna Fail candidates, so don't assume I don't think before I vote.

So there has been internal dissent. And it will continue after this election because the party lost its way and disconnected from its core vote.

As for DC supporting Cowen, it did worry me at the time but then again, he was being loyal to the man who took a chance on his ability ( and to my mind was a good gamble as he has shown himself to be streets ahead of some of the people who took for the hills, I mean, retired, this time out ) and some might say it was stupid, but which of us at some stage hasn't stayed loyal to someone who gave us a break when others might not. It could be seen as stupid or a decent quality to show loyalty as thanks despite what it might do to your own reputation. Sadly very little of that left in live now never mind politics.

So I am politically awake, well and truly, if you knew me outside of the forum of boards you would know I am outspoken on lots of things but Fianna Fail is still closest to my philosphy of life believe or not, and that is done through thinking things out.

Btw, we must be miles off topic by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Gone way off topic, yee might need a map to get back:D

I'm getting scared when looking at MM posters......this person can't be the person I know in the street. Definitely being airbrushed......

Is this back on topic? :p

• Advertisement

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Gone way off topic, yee might need a map to get back:D

Thats what I was thinking, and me sat nav is in the car which is in the garage under repair for a few days, may never get back. Slightly more stimulating than arguing over the name of a school though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

I work in R&D for a private sector company. Our R&D department have received funding from the IDA in the past. The IDA investment was based on the technology we presented to them, our business plan, IDA visits to our headquarters to assess the commitment of our parent company to the local region etc.
    It came from a lot of hardwork from the individuals in our company in co-operation with the IDA officers. The local TD had absolutely nothing to do with it

I have a family member and friends that work in Hollister and I know that it was a similar effort on thier part to convince the IDA that they had the technology and business plan for this investment to go ahead.

For calleary to have it as his first acheivement in that list is plain ridiculous. To be honest, it's an insult to the bright and hardworking development and management teams in Hollister who are the real creators of this opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

The problem is that Dara is now forever lumped in with the "old guard"-the folks who gave the 2 fingers to the people of Ireland as they feathered their own nests and rode off into the sunset with six figure golden parachutes.

My grandmother had a great saying-"show me your friends, and I'll tell you who you are"-and if you look at whose Dara's friends are-it sure aint pretty!!!!!

He took the big (and probably undeserved) promotion, he was viewed as one of Cowens right hand men, he came out and defended the indefensible, he voted time and again to disenfranchise entire constituencies of people-and now he has his "Bobby Ewing" moment!

I think the public were looking for change and a chastened FF. Admit that mistakes were made and put some new faces out as the future of the party. A front bench containing the likes of Willie O Dea showed that this was "change" one simply couldn't believe in. It was another cute hoor, gombeen, slieveen stroke and people have had it.

Unfortunately for Dara he will forever be associated with the old regime. I dont think its an exxageration to say that this old regime wreaked more havoc on the people of Ireland than all the Black and Tans that ever roamed our fine shores. At least with the Black and Tans you knew what you were getting-you didnt have high expectations that they were anything other than what they were

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymayo

Unfortunately for Dara he will forever be associated with the old regime. I dont think its an exxageration to say that this old regime wreaked more havoc on the people of Ireland than all the Black and Tans that ever roamed our fine shores. At least with the Black and Tans you knew what you were getting-you didnt have high expectations that they were anything other than what they were

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Worse than association, in the final hours he stuck thick with the thieves, defending every stroke. Can still see him sitting smirking on Government benches expecting a promised ministry from Biffo, the morning the wheels came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 waga

Dara Has worked very hard and will be elected! I asked 3 tds for help, dara replied and delivered! Good guy for mayo, we wont let him go

waga wrote: »
    Dara Has worked very hard and will be elected! I asked 3 tds for help, dara replied and delivered! Good guy for mayo, we wont let him go

Another New member signing up just to defend that imbecile , have you signed up to many websites during this campaign

now there is starting to be some more talk on this subject, DALY SLATES CALLEARY’S RECORD but can there be an impact

It was with shock and disappointment that Martin Daly noticed the failure of some of the local media to challenge Dara Calleary over his gross exaggerations and distortions. 'If Dara wants to claim credit for the work of others and keep a straight face, well, he is a man to feel sorry for rather than condemn since his moral compass seems askew'.

'I can understand though, why he has to resort to desperate measures because he knows in his heart that the real delivery for the people of Mayo, North, South, East and West has been despair and misery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

waga wrote: »

Legend post, when your having tea with Dara tell him we say hello.

I didn't see him claim credit for Kerrys win on Sunday against us.

yop wrote: »

Probably because he had nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

Momentum now with FG....40% in todays poll.....looks like there rolling ball is not gathering moss! They could deliver +41% on friday, and FF could be stuck with 20 seats!!!!! DC could be left out.....his ad in the western said it all - don't take it for granted that he will get elected. I reckon he is bricking it...gonna be a tight finish for him.

I have been talking to different people around North Mayo and in Ballina in particular. All have noted that DC has not been canvassing at their doors during the election campaign to date. This includes 4 people from Ballina (different parts of the town), Killala, Crossmolina and Knockmore.

Has DC come to anyone door canvassing? I would be interested to hear if he has and the reaction that was provided.......

Momentum now with FG....40% in todays poll.....looks like there rolling ball is not gathering moss! They could deliver +41% on friday, and FF could be stuck with 20 seats!!!!! DC could be left out.....his ad in the western said it all - don't take it for granted that he will get elected. I reckon he is bricking it...gonna be a tight finish for him.

I have been talking to different people around North Mayo and in Ballina in particular. All have noted that DC has not been canvassing at their doors during the election campaign to date. This includes 4 people from Ballina (different parts of the town), Killala, Crossmolina and Knockmore.

Has DC come to anyone door canvassing? I would be interested to hear if he has and the reaction that was provided.......

The ad is in reaction to the Fine Gael campaign telling people he is safe and to vote for Michelle, that the town needs two TD's.

He has canvassed in all four areas you mention, not in all parts of them, but has done door to door in parts of all four.

The ad is in reaction to the Fine Gael campaign telling people he is safe and to vote for Michelle, that the town needs two TD's.

He has canvassed in all four areas you mention, not in all parts of them, but has done door to door in parts of all four.

Harry, what level of coverage has DC door to door in the campaign so far? The cynical part of me is saying that it is significantly lower than the FG candidates, for example? :cool:

It has been well reported throughout the country that the level of canvassing door to door has been significantly less than previous elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Carefull YOP, you'll be giving dara idea's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I live in Roscommon/Leitrim, the FF campaigners didn't go door to door in my area, they hadn't the balls. Instead they ambushed the parents dropping their kids to the National School at 9 o clock in the morning, outgoing gobshíte Finneran bragging about the extension he got, which had been promised for years but completed last year

Live about 4 miles outside of Castlebar and haven't seen one canvasser. Probably no harm I didn't see any as I would have loved a chat with a few Fine Failers

Live about 4 miles outside of Castlebar and haven't seen one canvasser. Probably no harm I didn't see any as I would have loved a chat with a few Fine Failers

I would never have known........:p

Harry, what level of coverage has DC door to door in the campaign so far? The cynical part of me is saying that it is significantly lower than the FG candidates, for example? :cool:

It has been well reported throughout the country that the level of canvassing door to door has been significantly less than previous elections.

He has canvassed all day every day barring media interviews, meetings, etc. There are only two Fianna Fail candidates and he is covering Belmullet to Ballyhaunis. There are four Fine Gael candidates so logically they can do a larger personal canvass in towns they cover because of the smaller area they are assigned.

An extensive canvass has been done of all the areas by teams on his behalf and I do know areas where we have been the only people to call and they appreciate that, and while they will express some anger, they also say the fact that we are willing to face people is good too.

Its a huge county so the other candidates will have found it difficult to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

There have been very few callers to my door and I live in Ballina Town. Most of the literature has just been pushed through the letterbox - I even heard it being pushed through one morning at 7am!
    I had two callers the other night for Fine Gael but the candidate was not with them as she was 'at a funeral' lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Had 2 Fallen Failures at my door two nights ago. Politely ran them and told them I hoped we will all be dead by the time they get in again:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement