Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Calleary's election Literature

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

As I previously said, am failing to see anything about extensions there.

now you're just been picky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

mayotom wrote: »
    now you're just been picky

No, if you wish to accuse somebody of making statements that are untrue then it is equally important that others don't make statements that are untrue. A statement was made and I am merely wondering where the word extension was used. I know that doesn't suit your anti Calleary rant, but if someone is trying to hold someone by one standard they should perhaps adhere to the same standard themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

No, if you wish to accuse somebody of making statements that are untrue then it is equally important that others don't make statements that are untrue. A statement was made and I am merely wondering where the word extension was used. I know that doesn't suit your anti Calleary rant, but if someone is trying to hold someone by one standard they should perhaps adhere to the same standard themselves.
    Ok I didnt actually have the literature to hand when I posted my reply, cant find it now probably binned it as I was so disguisted at the time. This was due to the fact that Dara Callery was laying claim to school developments that to the best of my knowledge were in the pipeline long before he ever came along.
    He may have referred to the kilmurry school development or the amount of money spent on it, but the only school in the kilmurry area that was given a develpoment grant was killocraun and as I said that was 6/7 years ago was Dara in office then?
    Tbh I have always voted fiannafail and was very unsure about what to do this time, I dont want to see the ballina area without a seat and I would have picked Dara over Michelle, but actions spoke louder than words, Fiannagale called to the door, took their time and spoke. Fianna fail threw leaflets in letter box and didnt even bother to knock, I am sure on this one I was there in fact 2 cars were parked outside. When I read the literature and saw the amount of dubious claims and then the referral to kilmurray school I decided what was the point in electing someone who cant get basic facts right.
    By the way killocraun did get an extension so it was no stretch of my imagination that I used that word. As a parent I am aware of the names of the majority of national schools in the surrounding area of Ballina and if I ever had to refer to any of them in a letter/form whatever I would get it right pathetic that he and his staff couldnt be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymayo

"Lack of action" on the part of the greens would be more appropriate,

You seem to have misunderstood my comments.

My post was about Dara Calleary - not the Greens - hence the lack of action I was inferring was on Mr Calleary's behalf.

The Greens are nothing more than a sick joke, and at any rate are of no relevance to us here in Mayo in this election.

Bringing the Greens into this post is just a FF red herring - that stinks as much as the FF Party does.
    You expect Dara to walk away from government
    No.
    I never said that.

My point is that he was one of the chief defenders on the national airwaves of the outgoing rotten FF government for 12 months or more.

He could have easily stood back, but a seat at the cabinet table and a Merc, was what really drove Calleary's misguided loyalty to Cowen.

He clearly wasn't in the least interested in those who were suffering as result of the mess FF made of this country.

Mr Calleary had every opportunity to stand up for his constituents - and be seen to do so.

But instead chose to uphold the Party line - like some kind of robot - while families and small businesses were hurting- and are going to suffer a lot more unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I heard he invented the cream you use for thrush and was once considered for the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaign work on behalf of the Inuit community in Ballyhaunis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I heard he invented the cream you use for thrush and was once considered for the Nobel Peace Prize for his campaign work on behalf of the Inuit community in Ballyhaunis.

Carefull, your giving dara more idea's:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raymond k

greetings my new friend ,true or false ? , well let me start by saying that my post was not to do with any ones literature ,it was merely calling for some common manners. however i do believe that in the not too distant future we will see ministers posing for pictures claiming credit for projects etc that have been approved by this government ,projects dont just start and stop when a government changes . p.s who will perform all the ribbon cutting events in a few weeks time ?and who will have those pictures on future literature?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

raymond k wrote: »
    greetings my new friend ,true or false ? , well let me start by saying that my post was not to do with any ones literature ,it was merely calling for some common manners. however i do believe that in the not too distant future we will see ministers posing for pictures claiming credit for projects etc that have been approved by this government ,projects dont just start and stop when a government changes . p.s who will perform all the ribbon cutting events in a few weeks time ?and who will have those pictures on future literature?

Fair enough, but will "this government" take the same credit for ruining our Country, for pushing 10's of 1000's of our young people out of the Country, for protecting their friends in the banking and building industry and letting us take the full whack of pain for ignoring the corruption carried out?

If you want common manners, is it not manners to admit when you have done wrong, FF haven't the decency to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raymond k

is the moderator gone off on a rant ??? i have not mentioned any party ,and the manners i refer to is childish name calling.or does the moderator approve of that sort of thing ???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

yop isn't a moderator in this forum (as you can see under his name), but I am.

General politics/who ruined what/blah goes in the 2011 Election forum.
    This thread is about Dara's election literature, let's keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

raymond k wrote: »
    is the moderator gone off on a rant ??? i have not mentioned any party ,and the manners i refer to is childish name calling.or does the moderator approve of that sort of thing ???

As said, I am not a moderator on here.

As the OP said in the case of Dara he has blatantly claimed credit for a number of projects which he had no hand in, its reflected badly on him.
    While he is part of FF, I had respect for him and thought he worked hard, but his bandwagon jumping is blatant.

As said let the electorate decide this day week, the online boards poll is a glimpse but I don't think its taking into the account the local support he will still get.

One thing that will happen is that he won't be in government so his bandwagon jumping days are at an end.

astra2000 wrote: »
    Ok I didnt actually have the literature to hand when I posted my reply, cant find it now probably binned it as I was so disguisted at the time. This was due to the fact that Dara Callery was laying claim to school developments that to the best of my knowledge were in the pipeline long before he ever came along.
    He may have referred to the kilmurry school development or the amount of money spent on it, but the only school in the kilmurry area that was given a develpoment grant was killocraun and as I said that was 6/7 years ago was Dara in office then?
    Tbh I have always voted fiannafail and was very unsure about what to do this time, I dont want to see the ballina area without a seat and I would have picked Dara over Michelle, but actions spoke louder than words, Fiannagale called to the door, took their time and spoke. Fianna fail threw leaflets in letter box and didnt even bother to knock, I am sure on this one I was there in fact 2 cars were parked outside. When I read the literature and saw the amount of dubious claims and then the referral to kilmurray school I decided what was the point in electing someone who cant get basic facts right.
    By the way killocraun did get an extension so it was no stretch of my imagination that I used that word. As a parent I am aware of the names of the majority of national schools in the surrounding area of Ballina and if I ever had to refer to any of them in a letter/form whatever I would get it right pathetic that he and his staff couldnt be bothered.

What is referred to in the literature is not extensions, it refers to whats called the summer works scheme where money is allocated to schools for maintenance jobs not covered by other funding and carried out during the summer while the school is off. So there was no claim about anything to do with the extension in Killocraun.With regard to knocking on doors and pushing leaflets through the letterbox, I have knocked on doors with cars parked outside and got no reply. I certainly know in the area Dara Calleary is encouragng people to engage on the doorstep. Would be interested to know exactly what area you are in to see who would have been covering it.The Kilmurry school part most likely refers to Richmond as it is considered more the school for Kilmurry than Killicraun and was a stupid mistake but hardly fatal.I hope it helps clear up any misunderstanding.

One of his false claims is that he got €50,000 funding for our local soccer club when in fact it was bev flynn & john carty that secured this funding in 2006, before callery was even electedmad.gif (by the way they have only recieved €19,000 to date)frown.gif

He also claims to have secured €80,000 funding for our local gaa club, i'm not to sure about this, will have to chat to someone on the committe and will post back here.
    progress.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

OK, here's the document in question - perhaps the various factions can take each point and logically discuss the merits or otherwise........or else STFU !!!!!!!
    :D:D:D

ballina.jpg

What is referred to in the literature is not extensions, it refers to whats called the summer works scheme where money is allocated to schools for maintenance jobs not covered by other funding and carried out during the summer while the school is off. So there was no claim about anything to do with the extension in Killocraun.With regard to knocking on doors and pushing leaflets through the letterbox, I have knocked on doors with cars parked outside and got no reply. I certainly know in the area Dara Calleary is encouragng people to engage on the doorstep. Would be interested to know exactly what area you are in to see who would have been covering it.The Kilmurry school part most likely refers to Richmond as it is considered more the school for Kilmurry than Killicraun and was a stupid mistake but hardly fatal.I hope it helps clear up any misunderstanding.
    I was at home there was a 30 min window when they could have called they didnt knock or ring door bell I couldnt have missed it and there was afew in the house.
    Would it actually take Dara Callery making a fatal mistake before he would lose your vote? Dara Callerys literature was sloppy as was his campaigning, its a pity that arnie mccafferty got the stick about roads that should have been Dara lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Open House

To Tonymayo. My apologies, you didn't say anything about Dara walking away or stepping down. Mayotom says he wants Dara to withdraw from the election. Why doesn't some of the anti Dara people bring the offending literature to Dara's office and ask for an explanation and hear what he has to say on all the controversial issues. Returning triumphant or otherwise, you could enlighten the rest of us. It seems a waste of valuable of pre election time to keep going over the subject again and again without any answers.
    I don't read election pamphlets, prefer to make my decisions based on their performance and let's face it, none of them performed well during the last few years.

Open House wrote: »
    To Tonymayo. My apologies, you didn't say anything about Dara walking away or stepping down. Mayotom says he wants Dara to withdraw from the election. Why doesn't some of the anti Dara people bring the offending literature to Dara's office and ask for an explanation and hear what he has to say on all the controversial issues. Returning triumphant or otherwise, you could enlighten the rest of us. It seems a waste of valuable of pre election time to keep going over the subject again and again without any answers.
    I don't read election pamphlets, prefer to make my decisions based on their performance and let's face it, none of them performed well during the last few years.

This is literature that was printed in the western this week,

http://daracalleary.ie/files/2011/02/Calleary-HP-534462.pdf

I was at home there was a 30 min window when they could have called they didnt knock or ring door bell I couldnt have missed it and there was afew in the house.
    Would it actually take Dara Callery making a fatal mistake before he would lose your vote? Dara Callerys literature was sloppy as was his campaigning, its a pity that arnie mccafferty got the stick about roads that should have been Dara lol.

His campaigning hasn't been sloppy and his literature is being accused of being sloppy when parts of it are being misinterpreted. Thats why I would be curious as to where you were because doors are being knocked on and voters being engaged. Depends what you call a fatal mistake, he works extremely hard, whether the anti FF crew on this wish to believe that or not. Thats whyy he has my support. Its easy to sit outside throwing brickbats when its unknown by many what goes on behind the scenes.

His campaigning hasn't been sloppy and his literature is being accused of being sloppy when parts of it are being misinterpreted. Thats why I would be curious as to where you were because doors are being knocked on and voters being engaged. Depends what you call a fatal mistake, he works extremely hard, whether the anti FF crew on this wish to believe that or not. Thats whyy he has my support. Its easy to sit outside throwing brickbats when its unknown by many what goes on behind the scenes.
    You cannot call getting the name of any national school wrong anything other than sloppy. Laying claim school developments he had no part in is lies.
    I know we were at home, I was very keen to hear what Daras campaigners had to say, as I found anniemae reapes "ah you cant blame poor Dara" response less than adequete.
    Dara is paid very well to work hard as you put it, unfortunatly his hard work hasnt paid off, in the last census Ballina had the hightest large town rate of unemployment in Ireland I doubt that this census will show any change.
    I feel glad that I have a free mind and have never been brainwashed or influenced by any particular party politics, you appear to be so embedded in fiannafail you would never be able to vote any other way, its a bit like a religion it has a good firm hold on its loyal supporters and it doesnt want to let go.
    I wonder if the great Dara even knows your name out of election time?

You cannot call getting the name of any national school wrong anything other than sloppy. Laying claim school developments he had no part in is lies.
    I know we were at home, I was very keen to hear what Daras campaigners had to say, as I found anniemae reapes "ah you cant blame poor Dara" response less than adequete.
    Dara is paid very well to work hard as you put it, unfortunatly his hard work hasnt paid off, in the last census Ballina had the hightest lage town rate of unemployment in Ireland I doubt that this census will show any change.
    I feel glad that I have a free mind and have never been brainwashed or influenced by any particular party politics, you appear to be so embedded in fiannafail you would never be able to vote any other way, its a bit like a religion it has a good firm hold on its loyal supporters and it doesnt want to let go.
    I wonder if the great Dara even knows your name out of election time?

Your assumptions are completely wrong, hence why you should never make assumptions based on comments via the internet. I have voted for non FF candicates in three elections in my time being able to vote, all based on closeness to my personal views. I know Dara for almost 20 years so he definitely knows my name at this stage outside of election time. So don't think I am in the least bit brainwashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Anyone see the interview with Miriam O Callagan outside the Dail on the night BIFFO won the VOC?

If thats the type of person you want representing you-then you've bigger problems than anyone here can solve.

Yes ALL politicians do exxagerate to an extent BUT with the country and county (not to mention his home town) in the state they are in-for him to portray himself as a modern day Mother Teresa or Santa Claus is beyond comprehension.

What did Dara do to keep cancer services in Mayo?

What did Dara do to keep the Emergency call center in Mayo?

How many times did Dara vote to disenfranchise entire constituencies of voters? (when he voted against the writs to hold the bye elections)

I could use a couple of choice adjectives to describe my feelings about him-but then I would lose the moral high ground.

Go back and see if you can find the clip that I reference-then come back on here and tell us all why we should believe one word that comes out of his mouth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Open House

Whitey: Message received, you won’t be voting for Dara. Reading all the anti Dara comments the words of the song by Police come to mind, “Every move you make; every vow you break every smile you fake; every claim you stake, I'll be watching you”. I’ll rest easy at night knowing the vigilantes’ are watching and analyzing every comment made by Dara. I heard Loretta Clarke on Midwest recently, who says, unlike a certain medic she met who had “the arrogance of the ignorant”, she has “arrogance of the intellect”. You seem to be under the illusion that the general public belongs to the former and you belong to the latter.

whitey1 wrote: »
    Anyone see the interview with Miriam O Callagan outside the Dail on the night BIFFO won the VOC?

If thats the type of person you want representing you-then you've bigger problems than anyone here can solve.

Yes ALL politicians do exxagerate to an extent BUT with the country and county (not to mention his home town) in the state they are in-for him to portray himself as a modern day Mother Teresa or Santa Claus is beyond comprehension.

What did Dara do to keep cancer services in Mayo?

What did Dara do to keep the Emergency call center in Mayo?

How many times did Dara vote to disenfranchise entire constituencies of voters? (when he voted against the writs to hold the bye elections)

I could use a couple of choice adjectives to describe my feelings about him-but then I would lose the moral high ground.

Go back and see if you can find the clip that I reference-then come back on here and tell us all why we should believe one word that comes out of his mouth

I love your assumption that you somehow occupy high moral ground

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

The hottest fires of hell would constitute higher moral ground than any occupied by a member of the FF brood...........imo

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

"I love your assumption that you somehow occupy high moral ground"

Given how you called out some other posters for name calling-I thought I'd throw that in there for good measure. Probably not the best choice of words on my part I would admit.

But to be honest you rose to the bait like a Moy Salmon-Rather than answer the questions I posed, you pull the usual FF sleight of hand and refused to answer the question I asked.

Typical

whitey1 wrote: »
    "I love your assumption that you somehow occupy high moral ground"

Given how you called out some other posters for name calling-I thought I'd throw that in there for good measure. Probably not the best choice of words on my part I would admit.

But to be honest you rose to the bait like a Moy Salmon-Rather than answer the questions I posed, you pull the usual FF sleight of hand and refused to answer the question I asked.

Typical

And there is nothing in what I said that in any way constitutes name calling so I am rather at a loss as to what that comment was meant to refer to.And there are things in this life that are not worth answering.

yop wrote: »
    Fair enough, but will "this government" take the same credit for ruining our Country, for pushing 10's of 1000's of our young people out of the Country, for protecting their friends in the banking and building industry and letting us take the full whack of pain for ignoring the corruption carried out?

If you want common manners, is it not manners to admit when you have done wrong, FF haven't the decency to do this.

Michael Martin has admitted that mistakes were made, as for emigration in nthe good times people left this country to see the world, they still do, more are leaving for economic reasons but the people leaving to see the world are being lumped in with those and its shows a much bleaker picture than there is. You might think the bank bailout was to help their friends the builders and bankers, but are yoiu aware of how much the credit unions have invested in Anglo? Money belonging to the ordinary Irish citizen, wiped out of Anglo went under. How many pension schemes are invested in Anglo, again money belonging to the ordinary Irish citizen, wiped out if Anglo went under. While whats gone on with the banks makes my blood boil, I am also rational enough to know that the savings of hundreds of thousands of Irish people would have been worthless overnight. Nothing is as black and white as we would all wish it was.

Michael Martin has admitted that mistakes were made, as for emigration in nthe good times people left this country to see the world, they still do, more are leaving for economic reasons but the people leaving to see the world are being lumped in with those and its shows a much bleaker picture than there is. You might think the bank bailout was to help their friends the builders and bankers, but are yoiu aware of how much the credit unions have invested in Anglo? Money belonging to the ordinary Irish citizen, wiped out of Anglo went under. How many pension schemes are invested in Anglo, again money belonging to the ordinary Irish citizen, wiped out if Anglo went under. While whats gone on with the banks makes my blood boil, I am also rational enough to know that the savings of hundreds of thousands of Irish people would have been worthless overnight. Nothing is as black and white as we would all wish it was.

Mistakes?? More like turning a blind eye. Mistakes that would have put them in jail in other countries.
    I have plenty of hours to think rationally when I am travelling up to Dublin to work FF have ignored the West.
    Protect the Irish citizens money I agree, but why do we protect the bondholders 100%?? They took a gamble in buying bonds in Irish banks, the word is gamble. I put my pension into equity based shares, I knew the risks, I didn't get bailed out?

At the end of the day FF have brought us to the state we are in, that can't be argued. Its time someone else took over, they couldn't be any worse!

yop wrote: »
    Mistakes?? More like turning a blind eye. Mistakes that would have put them in jail in other countries.
    I have plenty of hours to think rationally when I am travelling up to Dublin to work FF have ignored the West.
    Protect the Irish citizens money I agree, but why do we protect the bondholders 100%?? They took a gamble in buying bonds in Irish banks, the word is gamble. I put my pension into equity based shares, I knew the risks, I didn't get bailed out?

At the end of the day FF have brought us to the state we are in, that can't be argued. Its time someone else took over, they couldn't be any worse!

Because to burn the bondholders totally would mean the banks couldn't be financed when needed to keep the banks afloat for the ordinary Irish citizen. Mistakes were made by Fianna fail, mistakes were made by everyone. is there no culpability for the person who buys or builds a house on a mortgage that if they thought rationally that they could not pay. throwing holidays on the credit card and buying as much on the never never as possible?? is that the fault of any government. The very people who complained of the nanny state interfering in their lives are now clamouring that the state interfere in their lives and save many of them from their own mistakes. Many people are in dire straits through no fault of their own, but many should take a look in the mirror and see who wanted the lavish lifestyle that was unaffordable on the wages they were earning. While the banks should have been better regulated and prevented from giving out the loan to wage ratios they did, there is also the question of people taking money that they couldn't afford to pay back even if the good times continued.I freely admit Fianna fail made mistakes and Fianna fail went away from what it stood for for generations, but some people themselves have some portion of the blame to take. Sdaly looking around to blame others for our own problems has always been an Irish trait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Completely off topic again :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement