Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dara Calleary's election Literature

Options
  • 16-02-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

For some time I have been sure that I would not vote FF and especially Dara Calleary, as I have never liked people who can not think for themselves. However I do try to be fair to everybody so today I read through his half page advert in the Western People, Dara is running with the Slogan below and the short statement:

"LOCAL DELIVERY - NATIONAL IMPACT"
    In almost four years as your T.D. I have successfully delivered over €100 Million in investment to communities across Mayo.
    HELP ME TO CONTINUE TO MAKE AN IMPACT FOR MAYO

He goes on to list his achievements, granted he may have had some influence on some of them but there is a lot of waffle, exaggeration and outright lies.

Calleary literature
    He claims to have delivered €61 million for the Charlestown bypass, This road took over 18 months to construct, yet Mr Calleary delivered it a mere 5 months after he was elected in May 2007. That money was approved in 2004 - therefore nothing to do with Dara Calleary as TD

He claims responsibilities for several school extentions and refurbishments, all of which were approved by the department of Education before Dara Calleary was elected, some were under construction and paid for long before his election. O'Keeffe Opens Eight Mayo School Extension

He claims to have secured IDA investment for 250 new jobs in Ballina, these jobs were delivered by the staff at Holister in Ballina, because the proved to be the best at what they do within the Holister Organisation globally. Then and only then the IDA was contacted to see if they would provide assistance, it would have gone ahead regardless. Mr Bean just jumped on the bandwagon

He claims credit for the roll-out of broadband in several areas where the service is so poor they may as well not have it.

Most of what he claims credit for delivering was approved before he came to power or has yet to be delivered.

This sort of personal marketing is immoral and people should see it for what it is, I hope that people like this do not become part of the next government, otherwise we will never get out of this mess, we need people who will really deliver to the country as a whole. We need a system that works, not a broken system that politicians will play around the edges with. We need to give new people a chance.

I have also emailed this to Dara Calleary, his response if any will also be posted here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Oh ya hes a right tool, he claims to have got an extension for kilmurry national school in crossmolina area, there is no school called kilmurry national school, there are two schools that service that area, killocraun and richmond, kilocraun was done up about 6/7 yrs ago. His lot cant even get their facts right, let alone lead us out of recession! The campaigners didnt even bother to knock on front door just threw leaflets through letterbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Surly this should be reported to the advertising standards authorty (is that the correct name for them?) Seen it myself in the western 95% of it is complete lies, and the other 5% would be suspect. Mr bean at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

if the boards.ie poll is correct, he wont get in.

he is clutching at straws trying to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

that's shocking. i'm actually going to print that out and leave it in the hall so i can confront any canvassers with it. having said that, not one candidate has come to our door yet. i did see michael ring down at the local shop one sunday, and my mother in law said dara was outside mass last sunday.... they're obviously just after the catholic vote :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You may be right on his literature but I would suggest that if he is polling just outside the top 5 on the boards poll (which he is), in reality he will get elected fairly comfortably. There's a major anti-ff bias showing on the boards poll that I don't think will be repeated quite as strongly on election day (i.e. they won't actually end up with less than half a dozen TDs).

• Advertisement

You may be right on his literature but I would suggest that if he is polling just outside the top 5 on the boards poll (which he is), in reality he will get elected fairly comfortably. There's a major anti-ff bias showing on the boards poll that I don't think will be repeated quite as strongly on election day (i.e. they won't actually end up with less than half a dozen TDs).

i noticed it a huge anti FF agenda going on. I think its going to be like this in Mayo

1. Enda
    2. Ring
    3. Mulhern
    4. Cowley
    5. Dara or Conway-Walsh , O Mahoney ( he got in last time due to the boost of being mayo manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

+1

die-hard rural catholic FF mammys aren't that common on boards. and those are the only demographic i have heard discussing him with any positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Below is the email I have sent to the party leaders, the Mayo candidates, the advertising standards authority and the Media

Hi All,

As you would imagine the people of Mayo and the rest of the country are very concerned about the way that his country has gone in recent years, we have seen nothing but lies and misrepresentation from the outgoing government, without any recourse. We have government bodies and watchdogs who ensure that the people and businesses in Ireland act in an ethical and just manner, Lies and misrepresentation are simply not tolerated in the real world and must stop, FF used the excuse "we did what we could with the information we had at the time, which was the best information", which was totally wrong when the dogs on the streets knew better.

What I really find appalling is that current Junior Minister/candidate can publish lies and exaggeration in local media in an attempt to gain votes, and no watchdog or any semblance of an election commission has stopped this blatant lies been printed. I think people like this should not be allowed to stand in an election, that the Advertising Standards authority Should investigate this and produce a finding before the election.

As you can all see, I have sent this to Directly to Dara Calleary (I initially emailed him about it 24 hours ago, with no reply) and I have cc'd all the candidates in Mayo who I could find email addresses for, along with the leaders of the main parties. The link at the top of the page is to a discussion on the Politics.ie website where the public have been giving their opinion, it is also been discussed on Boards.ie here and here. A copy of this email will also be sent to the local and national Print and radio media. I will also send a similar statement to the Advertising Standards Authority re false advertising.

Why do I go to this trouble? because I'm angry and the people of Ireland are angry that these people have not learned.

What do I want? I ask that Dara Calleary withdraw from this election immediately, if not let it be known in the media why you think that the people of Mayo should trust you and elect you, while you lie to them so spectacularly

I also ask that the other politicians make the same request especially Micheal Martin(can somebody please forward this to him, his email address does not appear in the public domain), I also ask that any other candidate in any party who can't back up their claims with real evidence also step down from this election and allow people who are honest to become the next generation of politicians that this country so badly needs.

Once again here is the offending litterature

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I see he was responsible for the national broadband roll out......

Gas about the Charlestown bypass, rolled it in 2007 yet he only started working as a TD 4 years ago. Some man ;)

Quelle suprise eh. He will still get in, loads of deluded fools will get him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raymond k

its a pity such a clever person as "mayo tom" should resort to such childish name calling , perhaps as he is so clever and all knowing he would consider running for election as actions do speak louder than words , or is it a case of shouting from the side lines !!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

raymond k wrote: »
    its a pity such a clever person as "mayo tom" should resort to such childish name calling , perhaps as he is so clever and all knowing he would consider running for election as actions do speak louder than words , or is it a case of shouting from the side lines !!!:confused:

Is that you Dara?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Dara, maybe I am

well no I'm not, however I did look into it and it turns out that I was not eligible, because I was not resident in Ireland for most of the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bandit197 wrote: »
    Is that you Dara?

Or one of his cronies?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

That's a typical FF supporter's response alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

Oh, I forgot to mention that about 3 years ago I was involved in a local initiative to encourage visitors to a certain area of Mayo which was developed by the local businesses. On the day of the launch Dara Calleary tried to jump on the bandwagon by getting his face on the newspapers but was refused as he had no input whatsoever into the project. The guy is something else. So I'm not surprised by his outrageous claims for credit for other projects in the county. He is one TD we don't need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 raymond k

i would question who are the cronies ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fogra wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot to mention that about 3 years ago I was involved in a local initiative to encourage visitors to a certain area of Mayo which was developed by the local businesses. On the day of the launch Dara Calleary tried to jump on the bandwagon by getting his face on the newspapers but was refused as he had no input whatsoever into the project. The guy is something else. So I'm not surprised by his outrageous claims for credit for other projects in the county. He is one TD we don't need!

He is FF, we don't need them. We actually don't need any of them but best of a bad lot is FG. Labour are just getting annoying now at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Open House

All of you are very hard on poor Dara. He is doing his best for the west. He wasn't sitting at the table with the head honcho's when they decided to ruin our small isle. Not fair to paint all FF's with the same tar brush.
    If everyone is gonna examine what all the candidates say, what not ask Loretta Clarke why she is looking for a charter for the elderly ? Sure, it's an important issue but her husband is in a nursing home, isn't that a vote of confidence in the care of the elderly ?
    Fair enough, she has guts to run in an election at her age.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nothing like a general election and the Boards.ie election poll to increase new members, bet its a 1000% increase. Anyone got any stats on that?
    Open House wrote: »
    All of you are very hard on poor Dara. He is doing his best for the west. He wasn't sitting at the table with the head honcho's when they decided to ruin our small isle. Not fair to paint all FF's with the same tar brush.
    If everyone is gonna examine what all the candidates say, what not ask Loretta Clarke why she is looking for a charter for the elderly ? Sure, it's an important issue but her husband is in a nursing home, isn't that a vote of confidence in the care of the elderly ?
    Fair enough, she has guts to run in an election at her age.:)

Welcome to boards Dara cronie #1 and Dara cronie #2, hope you like it here. Its nice that you've watched all this time and felt you had jump in and register this month to contribute. We look forward to your many great contributions in future.
    (can a mod do a ip check, I'm suspicious)

Actually, I'm not palsy walsy with any candidate and have no political affiliation. I'm a cross voter....yes I'm cross and I vote.... seriously, I vote for local and county candidates instead of parties. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nothing like a general election and the Boards.ie election poll to increase new members, bet its a 1000% increase. Anyone got any stats on that?

Welcome to boards Dara cronie #1 and Dara cronie #2, hope you like it here. Its nice that you've watched all this time and felt you had jump in and register this month to contribute. We look forward to your many great contributions in future.
    (can a mod do a ip check, I'm suspicious)

Agree with ya there, a lot of first time posters around boards lately, maybe the mods could do an ip check, like they do on p.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tonymayo

He wasn't sitting at the table with the head honcho's when they decided to ruin our small isle

Unfortunately, you must not have been listening to RTE Radio or watching TV for the past 12 months as Minister Dara Calleary stoutly defended Brian Cowen and his Government's policies repeatedly.
    He could have as easily distanced himself from that scandalous Government and its ruinious policies - but he didn't.
    A place round that same cabinet table would have been the reward, of course, for championing Mr Cowen and his cronies - until the Greens put paid to that little stunt.
    Actions speak louder than words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

raymond,
    simple question, is what mayotom said about colleary's literature true or false?
    from the link he posted to the flyer, it certainly seems to be true that colleary is taking credit for things he had no part in.
    maybe you would like to address that rather than attacking the messenger.

regards.

The Greens.....ha ha ha. Read the following.
    John Gormley appeared on Vincent Browne’s show last night and gave his account of what happened the night they drove old Dixie down.
    It was, oh what’s the word? Gobsmacking.
    Vincent Browne: “You were home at bed when the decision (blanket guarantee) was taken.”
    John Gormley: “So was everyone. The only people in government buildings were, in fact, minister Lenihan and the Taoiseach.”

Browne: “And the story was there was some difficulty getting through to you on your phone and a guard had to go around and wake you up?”
    Gormley: “No that was my garda driver and I subsequently spoke to Minister Lenihan then.”

Browne: “And the garda driver had to wake you up?”
    Gormley: “Of course, it’s two o’clock in the morning or whatever.”
    Browne: “And when you heard that you were being asked to approve a guarantee of this magnitude did you think: ‘Good God, I should get up and go in and see what’s going on’?”
    Gormley: “No. Because we had already discussed it for about a week on and off. Some people, and I took the view too, that maybe nationalisation was the way forward. You have to remember the context…”
    Browne: “But you didn’t think, as the leader of the party that was in coalition government with Fianna Fáil, you didn’t think that maybe you should get out of bed and go into the department of finance where these discussions were going on?”
    Gormley: “No, because we had already discussed it, Vincent, you know. That’s the whole point.”
    Browne: “And you went back to bed…”
    Gormley: “Well of course. I remember speaking to Brian Lenihan, I said what option are we going for? In fact I’ll tell you what the exact words I used: ‘are we going for the David McWilliams option?’ That’s what I said, I remember, on that particular evening. And he said yes, and as far as I was concerned that was the best option as I understood it at that time.”
    Browne: “Because David McWilliams told you?”
    Gormley: “He is a person that I think a lot of people have respect for. And we had discussed it. When I had mentioned nationalisation he said, no that’s not a good option at all.”
    Browne: “How come that there was a bill presented to Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen that night, there was a bill already drafted for the nationalisation of Anglo Irish Bank? How come that happened if nationalisation wasn’t on the table over the previous weeks or months?”
    Gormley: “Well that’s an interesting point because I mean, it’s the one that I had gone for, myself. So I suppose the department of finance had just put that in just in case we didn’t decide for the guarantee.”
    Browne: “But you didn’t think given the seriousness of the issue you should get out of bed and go in?”
    Gormley: “Ah well look Vincent, I think you’re kind of exaggerating the importance of where I was. You know the fact of the matter is that at two o’clock in the morning most people are at home and that’s where I was. There was little point at that stage of me going in when I knew what the decision was, and the decision was to guarantee.”
    Browne: “You didn’t know! There was no decision until all the ministers were consulted.”
    Gormley: “Yeah it’s, it’s, it’s. Well look eh, it’s, em. There’s a device used when cabinet meetings are, you know, that you, actually, you have, you know, phone in and that’s…”
    Browne: “You phone in. So, ring a friend?”
    Gormley: “No it’s just it’s, very often cabinet decisions are made in that way right?… It’s a legitimate way to actually make a decision in relation to a matter.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You're dragging this thread off topic, this thread is about Dara Calleary telling porkies on his website, nothing to do with the Greens or John Gormley

It's a reply to your comment: the Greens put paid to that little stunt.
    "Lack of action" on the part of the greens would be more appropriate, and Mr Gormley's actions; and his words with Vincent Browne is proof positive.
    You expect Dara to walk away from government - Why didn't the greens walk away if they were so outraged at FF. They were at the table and were aware of all decisions made.

Open House wrote: »
    It's a reply to your comment: the Greens put paid to that little stunt.
    "Lack of action" on the part of the greens would be more appropriate, and Mr Gormley's actions; and his words with Vincent Browne is proof positive.
    You expect Dara to walk away from government - Why didn't the greens walk away if they were so outraged at FF. They were at the table and were aware of all decisions made.

and they are going to pay dearly for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

astra2000 wrote: »
    Oh ya hes a right tool, he claims to have got an extension for kilmurry national school in crossmolina area, there is no school called kilmurry national school, there are two schools that service that area, killocraun and richmond, kilocraun was done up about 6/7 yrs ago. His lot cant even get their facts right, let alone lead us out of recession! The campaigners didnt even bother to knock on front door just threw leaflets through letterbox.

Curious as to where anything was said in election literature about an extension to any school in the Kilmurry area, didn't see it myself. Or is it the case that you misinterpret what you see?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its under the Crossmolina piece. "School developments at Crossmolina N.S., Glenmore N.S.and Kilmurray N.S."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Its under the Crossmolina piece. "School developments at Crossmolina N.S., Glenmore N.S.and Kilmurray N.S."

As I previously said, am failing to see anything about extensions there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement