Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon - new registration procedures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I thought the course was comparable to Dublin and much easier than my qualifying race in Belfast. The first half is fast though as the lads say. I managed to hold back for the first half. As for the rockstar treatment it's very true. Great crowds and they really make it an experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Alright - not long to go now til this one.

Couple of questions for those that have done it before/ those in the know:

1. I qualified in 3:06 odd, which would probably put me in one of the faster corrals. However, myself and a friend of mine (who also was in the 3:10:59 or under category - in fact he got exactly that!) are planning on running Boston at a 4 hour pace. Why? Just want to enjoy the experience and have a bit of craic. Anyhow, based on where I believe they split the first and second waves last year (around the 3:30 qualifiers point), we would be lagging well behind the field. Or would we? Reckon there be many others in that corral running at that pace. Or, do you know if you can drop a corral?

2. Good spot for a few coldies after? Any boards plans?

Killerz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Killerz wrote: »

1. I qualified in 3:06 odd, which would probably put me in one of the faster corrals. However, myself and a friend of mine (who also was in the 3:10:59 or under category - in fact he got exactly that!) are planning on running Boston at a 4 hour pace. Why? Just want to enjoy the experience and have a bit of craic. Anyhow, based on where I believe they split the first and second waves last year (around the 3:30 qualifiers point), we would be lagging well behind the field. Or would we? Reckon there be many others in that corral running at that pace. Or, do you know if you can drop a corral?

Killerz

The idea of qualifying for Boston :) and then not racing it at your best effort :eek: is alien to me :confused:, but anyway.

In 2009 a 3:05 got me into corral 3, so I guess you'd probably be there or maybe in corral 4.

HOWEVER, you are allowed to move backwards, just not forwards. In other words, if your bib says corral 3 you can start anywhere from corral 3 to 25. You can even move back to wave 2 if you want (which for 4 hours you probably would).

Rather than start in corral 3 and form an obstacle to 10000 runners behind you, I suggest you start from wherever you think would be appropriate for that pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Killerz

1. First of all, very jealous of you running it, I plan on been there next year :rolleyes:

2. No idea about the corals because its been too long since I last ran it ('97)

3. The Elliot Lounge has ..................oops, I was about to point you in the direction of a bar thats been closed for 15yrs now! It was synominis with the Boston Marathon http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108513/index.htm

Crossroads on Beacon Street now seems the place to go,but expect long lines. Its only about 5-10 mins from the finish.
    If you can't get in there (and if you plan on taking 4hrs to finish you probably won't !!), there are loads more bars in the neighbourhood.

4. Enjoy, its a great marathon to run if your not suffering, which you won't be. You will feel like a movie start running past Wellsley College (13mls).

The idea of qualifying for Boston :) and then not racing it at your best effort :eek: is alien to me :confused:, but anyway.

In 2009 a 3:05 got me into corral 3, so I guess you'd probably be there or maybe in corral 4.

HOWEVER, you are allowed to move backwards, just not forwards. In other words, if your bib says corral 3 you can start anywhere from corral 3 to 25. You can even move back to wave 2 if you want (which for 4 hours you probably would).

Rather than start in corral 3 and form an obstacle to 10000 runners behind you, I suggest you start from wherever you think would be appropriate for that pace.

Hi TFB - appreciate that it may sound a little odd, but there are a couple of reasons that I'm not racing Boston at my best. Firstly, Boston (for me, and a friend of mine) is the victory lap after the slog of qualifying. I want to really take all the sights and sounds in rather than being up against it for 3-4 hours. Given there's a lot of waiting around at the start aswell, I dont know whether i'd get my best time. Secondly, its part of a bigger picture for this year for me, which brings me towards 100 miler in May (if I go ahead with it).

Thanks for the advice though. Good to know we can move backwards, and obviously, we wouldnt want to be in the way of other runners - something which has infuriated me in the past.
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    1. First of all, very jealous of you running it, I plan on been there next year :rolleyes:

2. No idea about the corals because its been too long since I last ran it ('97)

3. The Elliot Lounge has ..................oops, I was about to point you in the direction of a bar thats been closed for 15yrs now! It was synominis with the Boston Marathon http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1108513/index.htm

Crossroads on Beacon Street now seems the place to go,but expect long lines. Its only about 5-10 mins from the finish.
    If you can't get in there (and if you plan on taking 4hrs to finish you probably won't !!), there are loads more bars in the neighbourhood.

4. Enjoy, its a great marathon to run if your not suffering, which you won't be. You will feel like a movie start running past Wellsley College (13mls).

s44 - yes, I cannot wait for the screaming tunnel! Also good to know there's a few bars around to take my well-earned dime after the race. May even hit the post-race party. So many decisions!

• Advertisement

Bumping this one up.... Any Boardsies thinking of having a cold one or 4 or 5 after the race, PM me and we'll work something out!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Bumping this one up.... Any Boardsies thinking of having a cold one or 4 or 5 after the race, PM me and we'll work something out!

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just a reminder to all: Boston Marathon opens for registration on Monday September 12th (this Monday) at 10am ET (3pm Irish).

12th: Registration is open on Monday for those with a qualifying time 20 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    14th: Registration is open on Wednesday for those with a qualifying time 10 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    16th: Registration is open on Friday for those with a qualifying time 5 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    19th: Registration is open on the subsequent Monday for all that meet the qualifying standard.

AGE GROUP MEN WOMEN
    18-34 3hrs 10min 3hrs 40min
    35-39 3hrs 15min 3hrs 45min
    40-44 3hrs 20min 3hrs 50min
    45-49 3hrs 30min 4hrs 00min
    50-54 3hrs 35min 4hrs 05min
    55-59 3hrs 45min 4hrs 15min
    60-64 4hrs 00min 4hrs 30min
    65-69 4hrs 15min 4hrs 45min
    70-74 4hrs 30min 5hrs 00min
    75-79 4hrs 45min 5hrs 15min
    80 and over 5hrs 00min 5hrs 30min

Wizard to calculate your earliest registration date is available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Thats still very reasonable. 3:10 for 18-34 isn't exactly a big ask.

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats still very reasonable. 3:10 for 18-34 isn't exactly a big ask.

Maybe not, but it might already have sold out by the time it opens for them.

• Advertisement

I was pissed off when I realized they were treating me as a 40 year old. I was quite happy about the fact that I have a time 20 minutes faster than qualifying. But now it's 32 minutes, which just makes the qualifying times look soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Maybe not, but it might already have sold out by the time it opens for them.

I could be worng but I thought I read something about them taking the faster times first in each category. So if I were to run 2:32 in another marathon would I then qualify ahead of a guy that ran 3:09?

tunguska wrote: »
    I could be worng but I thought I read something about them taking the faster times first in each category. So if I were to run 2:32 in another marathon would I then qualify ahead of a guy that ran 3:09?
    See:
    12th: Registration is open on Monday for those with a qualifying time 20 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    14th: Registration is open on Wednesday for those with a qualifying time 10 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    16th: Registration is open on Friday for those with a qualifying time 5 minutes faster than the qualifying standard.
    19th: Registration is open on the subsequent Monday for all that meet the qualifying standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

So, who from these parts is registering?

I'm intending on making the trip. Will be registering with my 2:58 from Berlin 2010, which puts me in the second wave of registration.

Speculation on the Runners World forum is that you will need a time about 3 minutes faster than the qualifying standard to get in, but of course that's pure speculation.

Peckham wrote: »
    So, who from these parts is registering?

I'm intending on making the trip. Will be registering with my 2:58 from Berlin 2010, which puts me in the second wave of registration.

Speculation on the Runners World forum is that you will need a time about 3 minutes faster than the qualifying standard to get in, but of course that's pure speculation.
    Why three minutes? Is it not a first come first served, as long as you are within the permissible time band?

According to BAA
    Those who are the fastest among the pool of applicants in their age and gender will be accepted. Accepted athletes will be notified by September 28.

Peckham wrote: »
    According to BAA
    Oh, so successful registration is not even a guarantee? Hmmm... Those M40s can be mighty aggressive..
    I probably had better chances in the M35 group.

Oh, so successful registration is not even a guarantee? Hmmm... Those M40s can be mighty aggressive..
    I probably had better chances in the M35 group.

I'd say your time will suffice ...

I'd say your time will suffice ...
    That's probably as close as you come to a compliment. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I'm just curious about everyones opinion on the womens qualifying times. I'm a male and I have not yet run the qualifying time for my age group yet (I'm 23 so that would be 3'10, hopefully will try and nail that next year). But the womens time for the same age group is 3:40 which to me seems a bit soft. Now this is NOT an attack on women saying they have it easier than men, what I mean is does this seem a little bit soft for serious female runners. I mean I know a few women who are older than this (in their mid 40's) who have run sub 3:40 with just standard marathon training. I mean Boston qualifying is one of the mile stones of a hobby runners career, and I'm just wondering do the women find it challenging enough to get this time?? Is there really a half an hour difference between male runners and female runners in this age group or would women prefer a tougher challenge?? (I'm aware its getting lowered by 5 mins in 2013 to 3:35)

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    I'm just curious about everyones opinion on the womens qualifying times. I'm a male and I have not yet run the qualifying time for my age group yet (I'm 23 so that would be 3'10, hopefully will try and nail that next year). But the womens time for the same age group is 3:40 which to me seems a bit soft. Now this is NOT an attack on women saying they have it easier than men, what I mean is does this seem a little bit soft for serious female runners. I mean I know a few women who are older than this (in their mid 40's) who have run sub 3:40 with just standard marathon training. I mean Boston qualifying is one of the mile stones of a hobby runners career, and I'm just wondering do the women find it challenging enough to get this time?? Is there really a half an hour difference between male runners and female runners in this age group or would women prefer a tougher challenge?? (I'm aware its getting lowered by 5 mins in 2013 to 3:35)
    Perhaps they are trying to encourage more women to do the race? The odds are already very much stacked in our favour. If entry is graded by how much faster a runner is than their qualifying time, then based on typical marathon participation distribution, you'd end up with a field largely made up of fast males. Drop the female standard a little, and you get a better distribution of women.

Stop being jealous, and go out and run that qualifying time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If 3.10 is (roughly) a top 10% time for U35 men, 3.40 might be top 10% for U35 women? Or perhaps 3.10 gets you 500 U35 male applicants, and 3.40 gets the same number of women?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

The current qualifying times fr boston are waaay off for me, i think it will be a 5 year plan, havng done NY My dream is to do Boston, have to get faster faster faster !!!!!!!!!! 20mins faster :eek:

There is no doubt that the women's qualification times are easier then the men's. Boston marathon freely admit that.

Some random examples (lower grade means it's easier to achieve, of course):

age grade male 30 BQ = 3:10 = 65.75 WMA age grade
    age grade female 30 BQ = 3:40 = 61.58 WMA age grade

age grade male 45 BQ = 3:30 = 63.56 WMA age grade
    age grade female 45 BQ = 4:00 = 62.94 WMA age grade

So what? The idea was never to create times of equal difficulty for everyone, it was always just a way to keep the numbers manageable. With fewer women running than men it was perfectly reasonable to set the standards for woman a little bit lower.

There is no doubt that the women's qualification times are easier then the men's. Boston marathon freely admit that.

Some random examples (lower grade means it's easier to achieve, of course):

age grade male 30 BQ = 3:10 = 65.75 WMA age grade
    age grade female 30 BQ = 3:40 = 61.58 WMA age grade

age grade male 45 BQ = 3:30 = 63.56 WMA age grade
    age grade female 45 BQ = 4:00 = 62.94 WMA age grade

So what? The idea was never to create times of equal difficulty for everyone, it was always just a way to keep the numbers manageable. With fewer women running than men it was perfectly reasonable to set the standards for woman a little bit lower.

Again I wasn't having a go, I was just inquiring to see if women would like a tougher challenge to meet the qualifying time, as it is one of the big "check of the list" things for a hobby runner. But if it encourages more women to enter then its only a good thing I suppose.

Perhaps they are trying to encourage more women to do the race? The odds are already very much stacked in our favour. If entry is graded by how much faster a runner is than their qualifying time, then based on typical marathon participation distribution, you'd end up with a field largely made up of fast males. Drop the female standard a little, and you get a better distribution of women.

Stop being jealous, and go out and run that qualifying time. ;)

I'll have to get that qualifying time nailed down soon but I will need one or two more marathons for than one!! :D

All done. Roll on Patriot's day 2012...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Ok I'm going to try for this with a 3:03:38 from DCM '10. I will be M35. Registration is currently open but I'm not due to register until 14th 10 AM ET. What happens if I try and register now??

You're in the same boat as me. I would assume they have their system set up so that it identifies that you're trying to register earlier than you should and it will stop your application before you submit it.

You should have no problem getting in tomorrow with a 3:03.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hoping to get in tomorrow.... I've already cancelled one work conference call at 9am :rolleyes: . Bit uneasy about this. I'm probably over reacting but I'm out with a persistent injury. There is a doubt in the back of my mind that I'll be able to return to shape to give Boston a decent shot .... still I have to give it a crack.
    loughie wrote: »
    Ok I'm going to try for this with a 3:03:38 from DCM '10. I will be M35. Registration is currently open but I'm not due to register until 14th 10 AM ET. What happens if I try and register now??

Don't. Best case you'll get rejected. Worst case the system will remember you and screw up your application tomorrow.

Advertisement