Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

sleapy235 wrote: »
    Should the Bosnian boxer who reached the last 16 not get the invitation based on the criteria? With the system that AIBA use to rank boxers (i.e. based on how the guys that beat them do in later rounds) Ward would be ranked last of those in the last 16. The other Europeans in the last 16 who didn't qualify in Baku were an Azeri and a Bosnian. Azerbaijan qualified a boxer in Trabzon so that would leave the Bosnian as the highest ranked boxer who failed to qualify at the 2011 Worlds (I think when referring to highesst ranked in the criteria this refers to ranking at the 2011 Worlds as opposed to AIBA world ranking). This Bosnian is also a member of the AIBA Road to London programme for boxers from weaker nations, so would be very hard to see the invite not going to him. Also Bosnia has no other boxers qualified.

I think the ranking system that you mention is the one they are supposed to use....but as with so many other aspects of this qualification system, it is completely ambiguous and it is not clearly specified...we have to hope that Joe's controversial exit, the fact he only lost on countback at the worlds, the fact that he is higher ranked in the AIBA rankings and both of the opponents who beat them at the worlds lost at the quarter-final stage, and all of the appeals from the IABA and supposedly Pat Hickey, member of the IOC will help Ward edge the decision. But as you rightly say, Bosnia has many things going in their favour too. They have less athletes qualified for the Olympics and none in boxing and the although both the Bosnian and Ward's victors at the Worlds in 2011 lost in the quarters, the Chinese boxer who beat the Bosnian lost to an opponent who went further than the opponent who beat Ward's victor. It is very complicated and not clear cut at all. This is where politics will hopefully swing the decision our way. Also, a different Bosnian fighter fought at the European qualifying event this year suggesting that Ward's main challenger for the invitation spot was either injured for that event or no longer no.1 boxer in his own country.
    There's no way of knowing how it's going to go, there are positives and negatives. Won't be surprising either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Added as a sticky for the duration of the Olympics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh we're definitely going to need a new thread when it begins.

I started a Daily Diary 4 years ago. lack of Time differences this year will make it easer too

Edit; this is one; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56852924

Yep I agree....once we know the final team numbers and such we should think about opening a couple of threads to discuss the Irish team, general Olympic news (international news) and things like that. It would be nice though if this thread runs its course...maybe at least until the end of the qualification period (8th July).
    Any suggestions about threads/topics/games we could introduce as we approach the Olympics?

There is a big event taking place for our Olympic sailing hopefuls this week - The World Cup event, known as the Skandia Sail for Gold regatta is hugely competitive and is taking place in Weymouth, the location of the Olympic sailing competition. This means that this week's competition will give us a good indication of our chances heading towards the Olympics in a few weeks time.
    So far, the men's 49er team of Ryan Seaton and Matt McGovern are performing strongly in their class. They are currently in 12th place after 6 races, having won both races 3 and 4. Additionally, they are actually 10th best nation as there are currently 3 G.B. boats in the top 10. Good start by the Irish duo.
    In the women's Laser Radial, Ireland's Annalise Murphy has started fairly solidly and lies in 11th position (9th best nation) overall after 4 races. After tricky low winds on the opening day (low winds does not suit Annalise) she bounced back strongly with 3rd and 4th place finishes in today's races.
    The hugely encouraging news so far for the Irish is in the men's Star where Olympic medal contenders Peter O'Leary and David Burrows are leading their class overall after 4 races. As has been stated before, this duo are very strong in the familiar waters of Weymouth and have placed solidly in each race so far, registering 5th, 4th, 2nd and 1st place results in their opening outings. Excellent performance so far and so encouraging pre-Olympics. Fingers crossed they can keep up this incredible form and consistency.
    In the men's 470 event, the Irish duo of Ger Owens and Scott Flanigan are lying 23rd overall after 4 races and 19th best nation. Their results are steadily improving and here's hoping they can continue to climb the leaderboard.
    Another Irish Olympic bound sailor, James Espey is currently in 40th place overall after 3 races in the men's Laser category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Anyone hear how Kelly Proper's long jump went at the weekend?! Can't find results anywhere!

Edit: Found this but it doesn't have womens long jump in it.

K_1 wrote: »
    Anyone hear how Kelly Proper's long jump went at the weekend?! Can't find results anywhere!

Edit: Found this but it doesn't have womens long jump in it.

No luck either, I also came to that link you've posted and was frustrated to see no mention of women's long jump. No results posted on AAI or other sites either and no mention of any athletes competing at that meet jumping seasons bests from the long jump rankings on either IAAF or EAA websites... the weather was fairly bad over in La Chaux but I wouldn't have thought they'd cancel the long jump unless there was it was hazardous.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

A couple of things on our cyclists. Dan Martin had a nasty fall at the dauphine in France yesterday. Apparently his collarbone injury may force him to withdraw. This is terrible luck given the tour and Olympics are just around the corner.

Also it looks like roche has some concerns about his own spot in the team. See below, but if ireland don't send him and Martin I'd be amazed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12038/Roche-hoping-for-no-Olympic-selection-surprises.aspx

knockcon wrote: »
    A couple of things on our cyclists. Dan Martin had a nasty fall at the dauphine in France yesterday. Apparently his collarbone injury may force him to withdraw. This is terrible luck given the tour and Olympics are just around the corner.

Also it looks like roche has some concerns about his own spot in the team. See below, but if ireland don't send him and Martin I'd be amazed

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/12038/Roche-hoping-for-no-Olympic-selection-surprises.aspx

Heads will need banging together if both Roche and Martin aren't picked. Martin's injury isn't as bad as it could have been which is a relief but it was nasty alright. I think he is continuing in the Dauphine criterium so that's a good sign. He is expected to make his Tour de France debut this year and it would be great to see him compete there.
    In fact if Dan had suffered a more serious injury setback, this probably would've kept him from being named as part of the Garmin Barracuda team for the Tour de France and in a strange way this might have kept him stay more fresh for the Olympic road race. However, I am really glad he didn't do too much damage and is continuing as I really want to see him in the Tour this year. I want to see him in London 2012 too of course but not at the expense of the Tour de France. His chances of success in London aren't too high due to the flat course layout whereas in the Tour he can really begin to make a name for himself. Would never rule him out though in London as he's got buckets of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It appears all will be revealed on Thursday. If competitors are unhappy about the selection criteria why the heck don't they say so at the time? It's a bit late to be raising it now. What are those now favoured by the criteria supposed to say?

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »

It appears all will be revealed on Thursday. If competitors are unhappy about the selection criteria why the heck don't they say so at the time? It's a bit late to be raising it now. What are those now favoured by the criteria supposed to say?

They did mention this before, in fact I think I posted a link somewhere before with Dan Martin blasting the criteria some months ago. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78344004&postcount=554

I follow cycling pretty closely

Sam Bennett is currently ahead of all bar Martin in the Cycling Ireland rankings. martin is assured of his spot if fit.

The team should be Martin, Roche and Brameier, with Brameier doing the time trial. Its a disgrace if at least two of the World Tour guys don't get it. They'll be effectively punished for racing at a higher standard.

Boxing Seeds
    • John Joe Nevin will definitely be seeded. He’s ranked 4th in the world
    • Darren O’Neill will be seeded in London. He’s ranked 3rd in the world and won’t move out of top 6. Interestingly there are two Russians in world top 7, and neither is going to the Olympics
    • Paddy Barnes is almost certain to be among the 6 seeds. He’s currently ranked 6th in the world but the fighters ranked 4 and 5 (Spain, Azerbaijan) haven’t qualified
    • Michael Conlon is ranked 12th in the world, and 10th of the Qualified athletes. He won’t be seeded in London
    • Adam Nolan isn’t ranked yet (last ranks 1st June) but his weight division is wide open. The World Number 3 from Hungary won’t be there
    • Joe Ward, if he’s somehow invited is currently ranked 5th in the world. However I don’t think they’d invite him and then seed him too. On ranking he should make it comfortably
    • Katie Taylor will, of course, be number one seed.

Being a seed in men’s boxing should see them with a bye through to the last 16 9and 2 wins from a medal)

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/44/08/64408_PDF_English.pdf

Updated 4x400m relay rankings. ireland still in 12th place with the run in Poland on Sunday helping lower our time. At this stage its really only the European Championships that can deny us our place.

We have a slight cushion over these European nations (cushion is over two races);
    France 1.06s
    Turkey 1.45s
    Poland 6.59s (outside top 16)
    Belgium 7.49s (outside top 16)

We're also ahead of Canada, Brazil. Colombia and Australia. South Africa race at the African championshisp (same time as euros and could sneak in too)

If we get close to the NR set in last year's World Championships we should be OK. That might get us through to the final. If it does, we'd be almost guarenteed a spot in London.

At the Sail for Gold Regatta in Weymouth, Ireland's sailors are continuing to impress.
    In the men's star, the Irish duo of Peter O'Leary and David Burrows have slipped off the top of the rankings but are still sitting in a strong 3rd place overall in a really competitive World cup event, held at the same venue as this year's Olympic regatta. All of their main rivals for Olympic medals are here in Weymouth and a 7th place and 5th place in today's 2 races have ensured that the Irish lads are right up there in contention for honours. They trail the leaders from Brazil by just 3 points and are only 2 points behind the British pairing of Iain Percy and Andrew Simpson. Canada are in 4th, 1 point behind the Irish crew and there is a considerable gap to the 5th placed duo from Norway. This is a hugely encouraging display by O'Leary and Burrows with the Olympics now just a matter of weeks away at this very same venue.
    In the women's laser radial class, Ireland's Annalise Murphy continues to climb the rankings and is now up to 7th position overall after a race victory and a 14th place finish in today's races. Her consistency has been a little better than usual (would still need to be a little better to challenge for Olympic medals) and she is within striking distance of the medals (14 points adrift) providing she can perform to her highest standards. At her best she is one of the best and in windy conditions (above 15 knots) she is the best, no question about it given all her race victories. She finds the calmer days much more tricky though and can post some damaging scores to her total so lets hope that by the time of the Olympics, the winds will pick up.
    In the men's laser, Ireland's James Espey is in 52nd place overall after a 25th and 28th on the water today.
    In the men's 470, Ger Owens and Scott Flanigan are down one place overall to 24th after a disqualification in the first race today but followed that disappointment up with a strong 9th place in today's second outing.
    In the men's 49er class, Ireland's Ryan Seaton and Matt McGovern are continuing to work hard posting a third race victory today, followed by a 9th and a 3rd place. They now sit 9th overall (7th best nation). Their results are really encouraging pre-Olympics and 3 race victories out of 9 is astonishing. A little more consistency in some of the earlier races and they would be in the hunt for glory here.
    Overall, it's looking so positive for Irish sailing just weeks out from the Olympic Games. Again they are showing that their familiarity with conditions here at the Olympic venue of Weymouth could prove very fruitful come August's showpiece event. Let's hope we get our first Olympic sailing medal since Moscow 1980. Signs are looking positive so there's no reason not to be optimistic. It's becoming quite a decent possibility now.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

Athletics:
    Because I am a sports anorak, I conducted a little experiment tonight.
    Prepared spread sheet based on Wikipedia entry on those from all countries qualified in the A standard in all the Track and Field events.
    As far as I can make out 98 nations have qualified at least 1 athlete at A standard (Men) and 84 nations have qualified at least one woman athlete at A standard.
    Im not sure what this proves.....if anything .....but it looks as if some nations might have slipped back from their former positions as "powerhouses" or "nearly powerhouses" of Athletics....
    These figures surprise me
    Men:
    Austria (athletes qualified 1) Belgium (4) Croatia (3) Czech Rep (9) Denmark (1) Finland (6) Greece (9) Hungary (5) New Zealand (4) Norway (5) Romania (2) Serbia (2) Slovakia (4) Slovenia (2) Sweden (4) Switzerland (4).....Bulgaria (0)
    Now I over-state the word "powerhouse" but these are moderately sized European nations who would be expected to have qualified more athletes by now.
    On opening day of the Olympics...I would expect a lot more....which is good or bad news for Ireland (???). Has Ireland improved and these nations fallen back or can we expect a surge as people peak" for the Games.
    That might well adversely affect say the womens 4x400 relay squad.
    Which brings me neatly to the Womens rankings.
    .......84 nations but again look at this pattern.
    Austria (2) Belgium (3) Bulgaria (7) Croatia (3) Denmark (1) Finland (1) Greece (5) Hungary (4) New Zealand (4) Serbia (3) Slovakia (3) Slovenia (4) Sweden (5) Switzerland (4)
    Definitely more to come.

But one plus side might be "B" athletes being sent.
    Not done a full analysis but some events seem oversubscribed and others seem short of numbers.....which should mean that at least SOME of our B standard athletes might get into contention.......eg Jessie Barr in 400mH

Olympic Countdown Thread opened....this thread should still be used though as a place to update news on the Irish athletes attempting to qualify for the Games.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056662989

It was another good day for the Irish sailors at the Skandia Sail For Gold Regatta at the Olympic venue of Weymouth today. In the women's Laser Radial category Ireland's Annalise Murphy is now up to 5th overall (tied on points with the 4th placed sailor) after a powerful day on the water, posting a race victory and following up with a 3rd place in the second race of the day. This incredible form shown in recent days by Annalise underlines how much potential she has going into the Olympics. One day soon she is going to convert her talents into medal winning performances and there's nothing to say that the Olympics won't be the place where she delivers on her potential. Really encouraging that she wins so many races and the fact that Olympics are to be staged at this venue must give her a huge amount of confidence.
    In the men's 49er class Ryan Seaton and Matt McGovern finished 12th in their only Gold Fleet race of the day and are now in 10th place overall and 8th best nation. Another encouraging display just weeks out from the Olympic Games.
    Peter O'Leary and David Burrows who lie in 3rd place overall in the men's Star fleet did not race today due to the inclement weather conditions and it was a similar story for the 470 men and James Espey in the men's Laser.
    Irish Olympic sailing is in great shape heading into the Games, there's hope of a podium finish in Weymouth both at this World Cup regatta and a big possibility of further success at the Olympic regatta too in a few weeks time.

Here is a clip gathering the thoughts of Annalise on her performances today and throughout the week:

There's also very encouraging news in terms of the possibility of dressage rider Anna Merveldt benefitting from the re-allocation process of unused quota places. It seems that the Colombian team who were awarded 3 quota places for the Olympic dressage competition have still not met the minimum selection criteria in order to take up their allocations. All riders competing in London must achive a minimum qualification score (MQS) of 64% on two seperate occasions but as of yet not one Colombian rider has achieved the score on a single occasion and there is now just 9 days left for them to do so. Therefore it seems highly likely that Anna Merveldt will be receiving a call-up for the Individual Dressage competition in London 2012 as she is first on the reserve list.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

So I must admit I know zip about individual dressage. How does Anna stack up internationally? If she gets the nod, what can we expect from her?

• Advertisement

knockcon wrote: »
    So I must admit I know zip about individual dressage. How does Anna stack up internationally? If she gets the nod, what can we expect from her?

Well it's fair to say medals are out of the question but she has posted some decent scores in the past and would be well deserving of her Olympic place. To give you an idea, Anna recently posted a score of 68.8xx% recently at a CDI competition in Munich. To compete with the very best you need to be registering scores approaching the 80% figure and often in excess of this. Now having said that 68% is a great score and you have to have a really talented combination (horse/rider) to achieve that. Last November Anna in fact registered a personal best score in the freestyle to music Grand Prix in Vienna and her score was a very respectable 75.72%. This shows that she has the capability to compete at a very high level in this sport and in fact she has demonstrated her pedigree in the past, having finished 11th at the Barcelona Olympic Games way back in 1992. She won't really be at the "business end" of the competition stakes at these Olympics I think it's fair to say but she would be a valuable addition to the equestrian team nonetheless and she would do us proud and perform to a high standard. It's important we can maintain our presence in dressage and hope to build for the future and Anna is capable of leading this charge. Hopefully London 2012 will be a stepping stone towards future progress and Anna could yet have a big future in the sport and is capable of making further progress.

Dressage is really the area that stops our 3 day eventers from challenging at the top level too. Among the worlds best in cros country and jumping but always way down the field in dressage.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/announcement-of-olympic-team-delayed-after-appeal-from-excluded-rider/

Cycling team announcement delayed as a rider protested the selection.

Its been handled absolutely horrendously. Even if you assume Martin and Roche get in. Matt Brammeier, who's won the Irish national championship the past two years, could be excluded becuase he's racing at world tour level. Scandalous.

Now I like Sam Bennett, and he's a good prospect for the future, but McCann is a spent force.

Dodge wrote: »
    http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/announcement-of-olympic-team-delayed-after-appeal-from-excluded-rider/

Cycling team announcement delayed as a rider protested the selection.

Its been handled absolutely horrendously. Even if you assume Martin and Roche get in. Matt Brammeier, who's won the Irish national championship the past two years, could be excluded becuase he's racing at world tour level. Scandalous.

Now I like Sam Bennett, and he's a good prospect for the future, but McCann is a spent force.

Surprise surprise, the crazy selection criteria has ended up with a selection process in chaos. My hope is that both Martin and Roche are on the team regardless and I'd be happy with either Brammeier or Deignan. I wouldn't begrudge them selecting Sam Bennett too much but I'd rather the place goes to Brammeier as he should be the one to compete in the individual time trial.

Yeah, agree fully with that. Deignan's had an OK start to the season too.

Its just ridiculous that the CI points were only for a 5 month period. Brammeier's on course to head to the Vuelta so the start to his season was always going to be easy.

It seems as though the Irish eventing team won't be finalised until early July as performance manager Ginny Elliot is putting a big emphasis on the Barbury Horse Trials (June 28th-July 1st). She has already whittled the selection down to 10 candidates and that event in Wiltshire will probably be used as a sort of Olympic trial to help with deciding the eventual combinations to represent Ireland in London.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/other-sports/barbury-test-for-irish-olympic-hopefuls-196681.html

Dressage scores have been more encouraging in recent times but it's still the discipline that separates the Irish team from being a decent team to being a team that can challenge for silverware. Hopefully the progress can continue and we can challenge one day for Olympic medals. Ginny Elliot thinks we have a chance of getting on to the podium in London but I think that whilst not beyond the realms of possibility it's probably a bit too optimistic this time round. Still, it will be exciting to track the Irish eventers progress at the London Olympics, I'm sure they will do very well and could push for a high placing both in the team and individual competition.

Ireland's Chris Bryan has his Olympic qualification tournament for open water swimming in Portugal on Sunday (4pm). There will be a live broadcast of his 10km race available here:

http://openwaterswimming.eu/node/7054

Best of luck to Chris!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Stillorganboy

Aileen Morrison is going to be our big surprise, no one knows her by September she be a household name.

Aileen Morrison is going to be our big surprise, no one knows her by September she be a household name.

Oh the people who read this thread know her ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Denis Horan

If we are going to get medals in London, we are going to have to rely on our boxers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement