Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands most likely Olympic 2012 Medals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Line up for for 4x400m relay on Sunday
    http://www.eaf.bydgoszcz.pl/pliki/lssz.pdf

Portugal inside, Belgium and Poland inside

Current rankings here;

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/44/08/64408_PDF_English.pdf

At the moment we've 7 seconds on Belgium. Portugal and Poland aren't ranked in top 20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

This table is way overdue an update so here are the latest stats on Team Ireland:

County|Number of athletes qualified|Details|
    Dublin|9|Linda Byrne, Ava Hutchinson, Deirdre Ryan, Annalise Murphy, Barry Murphy, David Burrows, Ger Owens, Scott Flanigan, Scott Evans
    Antrim|5|Ryan Seaton, Michael Conlan, Paddy Barnes, Lisa Kearney, Hannah Craig
    Down|5|Matt McGovern, Martyn Irvine, James Espey, Sycerika McMahon, Melanie Nocher
    Cork|4|Derval O'Rourke, Robert Heffernan, Ciaran O'Lionaird, Peter O'Leary
    Donegal|3|Brendan Boyce, Chloe Magee, Caitriona Jennings
    Wicklow|3|Fionnuala Britton, Stephanie Reilly, Katie Taylor
    Galway|2|Olive Loughnane, Paul Hession
    Kilkenny|2|Darren O'Neill, Joanne Cuddihy
    Kildare|2|Mark Kenneally, Eoin Rheinisch
    Wexford|2|Grainne Murphy, Adam Nolan
    Derry|1|Aileen Morrison
    Fermanagh|1|Gavin Noble
    Leitrim|1|Colin Griffin
    Longford|1|Derek Burnett
    Meath|1|Natalya Coyle
    Westmeath|1|John Joe Nevin
    Other/Abroad|5|Alistair Cragg (South Africa), Kieran Behan (England), Andrzej Jezierski (Poland), Tori Pena (U.S.A.), Sanita Puspure (Latvia)

Additional Info:
    • So far the team is made up of 30 men and 21 women and 5 unknown equestrian riders.
    • Qualifiers by province: Leinster (21), Ulster (15), Munster (4), Connacht (3).
    • Kieran Behan (gymnastics qualifier) although born in London, England has Irish parents: mother is from Monaghan and father from Dublin.
    • Tori Pena was born in California but competes for Finn Valley A.C. in Donegal and her grandmother was born in Derry.
    • Caitriona Jennings hails from Letterkenny but runs for Rathfarnam A.C. in Dublin.
    • Olive Loughnane was born in Cork and indeed currently lives in Cork so she has strong connections to that county. Neverthless she grew up in Galway and is a product of Carrabane A.C. in Loughrea, Galway so I think in this case it may be fairer to include her in that county's total.
    • Mark Kenneally is a member of Clonliffe Harriers in North Dublin.
    • Andrzej Jezierski has been living in Ballincollig, Co.Cork for a number of years now with his family.
    • 12 qualifiers were born in Northern Ireland (7 men and 5 women).
    • Lisa Kearney will be Ireland's first ever female judoka to take part in the Olympic Games.
    • Perhaps unsurprisingly, Murphy is the most common surname, with 3 Murphys on the team.
    • Trap shooter Derek Burnett is the oldest member of the Irish Olympic team at 41 years of age. Olive Loughnane is the oldest women on the team at 36 years of age and the youngest being Sycerika McMahon who is just 17! 470 sailor Scott Flanigan is the youngest male on the team at just 19 years of age.
    • The average age of our women when the Olympics get underway is 27.0yrs for women and 28.5yrs for the men. Overall the average is 27.9yrs for our Olympians.
    • 30 of the qualifiers will be first-time Olympians in London; 10 qualifiers are returning for a second time all of whom have previously competed in Beijing in 2008; 4 qualifiers (Derval O'Rourke, Alistair Cragg, Eoin Rheinisch and Ger Owens) will be appearing in their 3rd consecutive Olympic Games; and a total of 4 Olympic veterans will be returning to the Olympic stage to make a 4th appearance, namely Robert Heffernan, Olive Loughnane and Derek Burnett who will travel to their 4th consecutive Olympics and David Burrows, who made his Olympic debut way back in Atlanta in 1996 (missed out on Beijing).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FitzjamesHorse

I think Melanie Nocher has stronger connexions to County Down than County Antrim.
    Belfast my home town is divided by the River Lagan. Most people on the eastern side regard themselves as coming from County Down.
    The Belfast hospitals are mostly on the Antrim side of the river.
    As Melanie lives in Holywood and swims for Leander (its "home" pool is in Castlereagh/Dundonald) .Id definitely regard her as County Down

Also Mark Kennealy lives in Kildare.

• Advertisement

I think Melanie Nocher has stronger connexions to County Down than County Antrim.
    Belfast my home town is divided by the River Lagan. Most people on the eastern side regard themselves as coming from County Down.
    The Belfast hospitals are mostly on the Antrim side of the river.
    As Melanie lives in Holywood and swims for Leander (its "home" pool is in Castlereagh/Dundonald) .Id definitely regard her as County Down

Good point, I'll fix that now...nice to get the table as accurate as possible and be as fair as I can with the placing of athletes by county....it's very tricky!

Dodge wrote: »
    Also Mark Kennealy lives in Kildare.

His hometown is given as Dublin but in fact he was born in Celbridge, definitely need to change that....thanks.
    And thanks for the input everyone, really helps.

I'm hoping those bullet points underneath the list is enough to qualify the situation with regards those with connections to other counties. It can't be perfect though but it's only a bit of fun anyway.

Dan man wrote: »
    His hometown is given as Dublin but in fact he was born in Celbridge

He lives in Celbridge. Neighbour of a friend of mine. No big deal to me as towns and cities mean more than counties (and even then not much), but thought I'd give you the info

It'd probably save you hassle on the Down/Antrim thing too ;)

He lives in Celbridge. Neighbour of a friend of mine. No big deal to me as towns and cities mean more than counties (and even then not much), but thought I'd give you the info

It'd probably save you hassle on the Down/Antrim thing too ;)

I suppose it would but in the long run it would be way too messy as people have lived in various towns throughout their lives....hard enough keeping up with the county situation! :o

• Advertisement

Between them Antrim and Down have a very impressive total on the Irish Olympic team...5 a piece and 10 overall, that's a strong overall percentage. Munster aren't doing too great at the moment but it can change yet...only Cork contributing to the list so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

I'm hoping those bullet points underneath the list is enough to qualify the situation with regards those with connections to other counties. It can't be perfect though but it's only a bit of fun anyway.

No mention of Jezierski there!

K_1 wrote: »
    No mention of Jezierski there!

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't noticed that I hadn't explained his situation. Sorted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Kelly Proper attempts long jump qualification at Chaux-des-fonds, Switzerland, and Dan Mulhare seeks same at the European Cup 10,000 m in Bilbao. Do you have the relevant dates, Dan?

feargale wrote: »
    Kelly Proper attempts long jump qualification at Chaux-des-fonds, Switzerland, and Dan Mulhare seeks same at the European Cup 10,000 m in Bilbao. Do you have the relevant dates, Dan?

Both of those meets are on tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CoachDudie

Line up for for 4x400m relay on Sunday
    http://www.eaf.bydgoszcz.pl/pliki/lssz.pdf

Portugal inside, Belgium and Poland inside

Current rankings here;

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/06/44/08/64408_PDF_English.pdf

At the moment we've 7 seconds on Belgium. Portugal and Poland aren't ranked in top 20

Ireland came 2nd in 3.30, Poland won in 3.29, Belguim were 6 seconds behind us and Portugal were 10.
    What does this all mean? Make any difference?
    And has the Joe Ward decision been put back?

CoachDudie wrote: »
    Ireland came 2nd in 3.30, Poland won in 3.29, Belguim were 6 seconds behind us and Portugal were 10.
    What does this all mean? Make any difference?
    And has the Joe Ward decision been put back?

The time helps Ireland's chances a little more as it is slightly faster than the second counting time of the current 2 times being used to calculate the aggregate score. They remain 12th in the rankings but their overall time is now a little better. Also they have a chance to run a quicker time in Helsinki at the Euro Championships and even if they don't improve on their ranking times now it could well be enough.
    I see that Poland who are ranked behind them finished ahead of the Irish team but their time is still not a huge worry for the Irish girls. One more sub 3:28min time for the girls will surely cement their place in London. Belgium and Portugal are not posing any sort of threat to the Irish girls in terms of qualifying with those times today.
    No word yet about the Joe Ward situation, all I know is that the decision will be made before June 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CoachDudie

Yeah, I think there's an improvement in them as well. Hopefully we'll see it in Helsinki.
    Is there anywhere we can get news on the below?

feargale wrote: »

CoachDudie wrote: »
    Yeah, I think there's an improvement in them as well. Hopefully we'll see it in Helsinki.
    Is there anywhere we can get news on the below?

The time they posted today improves their ranking time slightly (I edited the previous post). There's been very little news about Joe at all...it's all being kept under wraps....I read some encouraging words recently that Pat Hickey, who holds a very influential position within the IOC has been working hard behind the scenes to get Joe Ward included for London. Let's hope we get the decision we're all hoping for.

Haven't seen the results yet for Kelly...will post them once I get a chance.

Apparently we won't know Joe Ward's fate until mid-June as the Tripartite Commission cancelled their meeting last night. This story just keeps dragging out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knockcon

Cancelled their meeting!!! Fook me! It's not like we're talking about what colour wallpaper to Hang in the kitchen here. This is life changing stuff and there's not a whole lot of time for the athletes to get in the right frame of mind. Sort it out Dan.

knockcon wrote: »
    Cancelled their meeting!!! Fook me! It's not like we're talking about what colour wallpaper to Hang in the kitchen here. This is life changing stuff and there's not a whole lot of time for the athletes to get in the right frame of mind. Sort it out Dan.

I'll try pulling a few strings...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Tripartite invitations are supposed to be used for countries that a) have very little overall representation and b) no representation in that sport

So Lucembourg gets a tennis invite, San Marino gets a shooting invite etc

The only way Joe Ward gets the invite is if the IOC and the AIBA can't find a suitable European boxer and decide to send the European Champion instead. The 'he was robbed' angle won't matter as he also failed to qualify from 2011 worlds

Is this interchangeable with 'wild-card'?
    Who decides - IOC and AIBA together? Is there a casting vote from either?
    Is there a precedent for "he was robbed", i.e. let's assume there is a suitable European boxer (is there?), can The IOC/AIBA pick him (Joe Ward) without other (Tripartite) nations objecting? Or would they bother objecting given "he was robbed" (and perhaps it could happen again to their boxers or will they want their potential place now?)

Separately, is this the type of invitation Caroline Ryan is chasing?

Is this interchangeable with 'wild-card'?
    Who decides - IOC and AIBA together? Is there a casting vote from either?
    Is there a precedent for "he was robbed", i.e. let's assume there is a suitable European boxer (is there?), can The IOC/AIBA pick him (Joe Ward) without other (Tripartite) nations objecting? Or would they bother objecting given "he was robbed" (and perhaps it could happen again to their boxers or will they want their potential place now?)

Separately, is this the type of invitation Caroline Ryan is chasing?

The only countries elligible for tripartite invitations are those that had an average of 7 or less athletes at the last 2 editions of the Games (2004 and 2008). The other rule regarding all boxers taking part in the Olympics is that they must have competed at a qualification event.
    These 2 rules together mean that no European NOCs are in a position to be awarded the tripartite place.
    What should happen in this instance is that the place goes back to the AIBA for re-distribution. The rule is that it should go to the highest ranked non-qualifier at the 2011 Worlds in Baku.

The only countries elligible for tripartite invitations are those that had an average of 7 or less athletes at the last 2 editions of the Games (2004 and 2008). The other rule regarding all boxers taking part in the Olympics is that they must have competed at a qualification event.
    These 2 rules together mean that no European NOCs are in a position to be awarded the tripartite place.
    What should happen in this instance is that the place goes back to the AIBA for re-distribution. The rule is that it should go to the highest ranked non-qualifier at the 2011 Worlds in Baku.

Will it?

On the Caroline Ryan front, having read the qualification system several times, I can see no mention that there are any invitation places awarded in women's road race or individual time trial. This means her only chance would be waiting on re-distribution of unused places in the ranking system...but my feeling is that she is too far back in the pecking order. I'm not certain of this though.

Will it?

I haven't the faintest idea...unless the tripartite commission have the right to switch the invitation spot to a different continent because no Europeans fit the bill then I see nothing that would stand in his way. But politics can play a part I'm told and often it isn't clear cut. It is hugely encouraging that Pat Hickey has been working on Joe's behalf. It might further boost his claim on the place.

I haven't the faintest idea...unless the tripartite commission have the right to switch the invitation spot to a different continent because no Europeans fit the bill then I see nothing that would stand in his way. But politics can play a part I'm told and often it isn't clear cut. It is hugely encouraging that Pat Hickey has been working on Joe's behalf. It might further boost his claim on the place.

Great, thanks for that. Sounds very promising for him. I see the men's boxing finals have sold out, and he deserves to be there with his team and his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

When Katie Taylor brings home the gold medal, I think I'll go to London to escape the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭sleapy235

Should the Bosnian boxer who reached the last 16 not get the invitation based on the criteria? With the system that AIBA use to rank boxers (i.e. based on how the guys that beat them do in later rounds) Ward would be ranked last of those in the last 16. The other Europeans in the last 16 who didn't qualify in Baku were an Azeri and a Bosnian. Azerbaijan qualified a boxer in Trabzon so that would leave the Bosnian as the highest ranked boxer who failed to qualify at the 2011 Worlds (I think when referring to highesst ranked in the criteria this refers to ranking at the 2011 Worlds as opposed to AIBA world ranking). This Bosnian is also a member of the AIBA Road to London programme for boxers from weaker nations, so would be very hard to see the invite not going to him. Also Bosnia has no other boxers qualified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement