Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

****it its great to have an All-Ireland in football again. Great showing from the lads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

very good win for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Great win for the lads today - its exactly what Galway football needed after the poor league run by the Seniors.

The centre forward Mark Hehir looks like a real prospect. He never seems to loose his cool and is willing to pass it to the man in space if he is better positioned.

I was surprised at how far ahead Galway were in comparison to Cavan, as it looked from before the throw-in that Cavan had the physical advantage over Galway. But after 10 minutes, you could see that Galway had the more footballing ability than Cavan.

If Mulholland gets the Senior job in the next few years, IMO he would be the best man to get the most out of these players and also the lads who won the Minor All-Ireland in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

huge win for Galway Football so badly needed after our league campaign but looking at our history after winning previous U-21 All Irelands we dont seem to kick on from winning those titles, hope I am proved wrong this time

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Well done to Galway today. Ye were by far the better team. Danny Cummins and Mark Hehir look like real prospects and kicked some fantastic scores between them. Tomas Flynn was also very good.

Hopefully players from both teams can progress to senior level and get our counties back to competing, although we've alot further to come than ye for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Lemlin wrote: »
    Well done to Galway today. Ye were by far the better team. Danny Cummins and Mark Hehir look like real prospects and kicked some fantastic scores between them. Tomas Flynn was also very good.

Hopefully players from both teams can progress to senior level and get our counties back to competing, although we've alot further to come than ye for that!
    Hopefully, we will see. Ye were not at the races today for what ever reason and I hope ye can build on the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

O.A.P wrote: »
    Hopefully, we will see. Ye were not at the races today for what ever reason and I hope ye can build on the experience.

I think the pressure got to the lads on the day. For most of them, it was their first day playing in Croke Park.

This team are used to leading too and, as I said before on the Cavan thread, hadn't quite the composure to come back from going behind. Hopefully they will learn that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 galwayboss

Great display by the lads on Sunday from 1 to 15 they were top class felt sorry for Patrick Sweeney being taken off at half time he scored a goal and set up at least 4 points they could have given him another 5 or 10 minutes. hopefully most of these lads can progress to top class seniors great to see something positive around Galway football after a couple of hard years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

galwayboss wrote: »
    Great display by the lads on Sunday from 1 to 15 they were top class felt sorry for Patrick Sweeney being taken off at half time he scored a goal and set up at least 4 points they could have given him another 5 or 10 minutes. hopefully most of these lads can progress to top class seniors great to see something positive around Galway football after a couple of hard years

Mulholland gave a run to a few subs, which is the right thing to do when you know the game is more or less in the bag.

The winning teams of 2002 and 2005 didn't push on at senior level, and some of them (the likes of John Devane, Cathal Blake, Niall Coyne, Barry Cullinane, Fiachra Breathnach etc) turned out to be pretty ordinary in the end. So hopefully this year's crop, especially standout performers like Flynn, Hehir and Cummins can make that next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Mulholland gave a run to a few subs, which is the right thing to do when you know the game is more or less in the bag.

The winning teams of 2002 and 2005 didn't push on at senior level, and some of them (the likes of John Devane, Cathal Blake, Niall Coyne, Barry Cullinane, Fiachra Breathnach etc) turned out to be pretty ordinary in the end. So hopefully this year's crop, especially standout performers like Flynn, Hehir and Cummins can make that next step.

With the exception of Devane, I don't think there was much expected of any of the players you've mentioned above. They weren't really stand out players.

What's disappointed me most from those teams has been the likes of Bergin, the Burkes, Blake, Nickey Joyce and Armstrong who never developed into top intercounty players. They've been good servants, but not AI winning material.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 randomnoobV

typical galway pikeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

typical galway pikeys

LOL

typical galway pikeys

The words of a seasoned campaigner, I'm sure :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Randomnoobv has been banned

Poor Conor Mortimer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Poor Conor Mortimer :pac:

Ta an diabhal ort.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Ta an diabhal ort.

An Diabhal Beag is dócha;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Come on the tribesmen against westmeath

Honestly want people to overhype Dublin so any kind of a win against Westmeath will be great.

dartsfan wrote: »
    With the exception of Devane, I don't think there was much expected of any of the players you've mentioned above. They weren't really stand out players.

Not standout perhaps, but they were good enough to win an AI U-21 all the same, yet made little or no impact at senior level.
    What's disappointed me most from those teams has been the likes of Bergin, the Burkes, Blake, Nickey Joyce and Armstrong who never developed into top intercounty players. They've been good servants, but not AI winning material.

True. Blake is far too loose at centre back. Armstrong overall has been a bit disappointing given his underage brilliance, while Nicky as we know has bags of talent but a questionable attitude.

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Come on the tribesmen against westmeath

With due to respect to Westmeath, Galway should come through this with a bit to spare. Westmeath lost all 7 games in Div 2 of the league which doesn't bode well for their prospects on Saturday. For Galway it'll be one of those games where you just need to go there and get the job done, whether the final winning margin is 10 pts or 20pts won't make much difference really.

• Advertisement

Anyone know when McIntyre is naming the team? Thursday evening?

I heard that there are a lot of injuries in the panel - maybe McIntyre could use this game against Westmeath to try out a few fringe players to give them a taste of Senior championship (even if it is against Westmeath).

Kojak wrote: »
    Anyone know when McIntyre is naming the team? Thursday evening?

I heard that there are a lot of injuries in the panel - maybe McIntyre could use this game against Westmeath to try out a few fringe players to give them a taste of Senior championship (even if it is against Westmeath).

Usually 3 days before so I'd say Wedenesday.

And yes there's a lot of injuries. Farragher and Tannian are two that spring to mind, but there's more. Shane Kavanagh of course too, and I don't think JC is ready to go yet either. Won't matter against Westmeath but it'll matter the next day against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Cancer Care West Walk.jpg

Siúlóid le haghaidh Cancer Care West & Bord Peile Contae na Gaillimhe ar an 18/06/2011 @ 12 Meán lae. Timpeall bóthair Cloch A Leachta. Thosú agus ag críochnú ag Pairc Na Piarseach, An Gort Mor, Ros Muc - Eagraithe ag Cumann Peile Na bPiarsaigh. Cártaí urraíocht ar fáil ach ríomhphoist a cuir ag chairperson.napiarsaigh.galway@gaa.ie. Níos mó eolais le fáil ar www.cumannpeilenabpiarsaigh.ie

We got the win tonight. We'll be talked down against this "unbeatable" Dublin side so that's what we want. Great to see Cyril Donnellan do well.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

We got the win tonight. We'll be talked down against this "unbeatable" Dublin side so that's what we want. Great to see Cyril Donnellan do well.

Heh, I don't think that's going to work. Especially since the only one who ever said anything like that about Dublin was your manager, just before Galway beat Dublin no less

Apparently Dublin are a top 3 side now which is baffling to me. Great League but that means little come championship. I wouldn't put Galway in the same tier as Tipp or Kilkenny atm either so I think the media is really building these lads up for a fall.

Apparently Dublin are a top 3 side now which is baffling to me. Great League but that means little come championship. I wouldn't put Galway in the same tier as Tipp or Kilkenny atm either so I think the media is really building these lads up for a fall.

Well Dublin - on current form - are as good as Galway/Cork/Waterford... they are where they are on merit. If dublin beat galway I guess you will be completely baffled ;)

The media are trying to put a football saying to hurling. There are a top 3 in football (cork, Dublin and Kerry) but there definalt isn't a top 3 in hurling. Its Tipp, KK and then the rest. Galway are always talked up because of underager success, but have never translated it into senior success.

If Dublin win the next day (and I think they will) then the hype will get bigger and bigger for their hurlers. It could be their biggest inpediment this year.

Not saying Dublin can't beat us but I think that when people say that they are up there at the top 3 teams before they have played one of the bigger teams (no offense to Offaly) its extremely premature.

The hype was always going to follow Dublin after the League especially after the amount of money and work put into the side in the last 5 years. I wouldn't begrudge them a Leinster title at all if they beat Galway (They can) and if they do then I'd consider them top 3.

• Advertisement

Not saying Dublin can't beat us but I think that when people say that they are up there at the top 3 teams before they have played one of the bigger teams (no offense to Offaly) its extremely premature.

The hype was always going to follow Dublin after the League especially after the amount of money and work put into the side in the last 5 years. I wouldn't begrudge them a Leinster title at all if they beat Galway (They can) and if they do then I'd consider them top 3.

I think the dubs are up there with the others. Beating galway does not mean they are the 3rd best team, that's a bit simplistic - afterall, Westmeath came close to being the 3rd best hurling team last night so:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement