Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I think the dubs are up there with the others. Beating galway does not mean they are the 3rd best team, that's a bit simplistic - afterall, Westmeath came close to being the 3rd best hurling team last night so:rolleyes:
    No need to be so snide. Westmeath haven't exactly performed at Dublin's level have they? All I'm saying is that Dublin only came out of the forefront as All-Ireland contenders since the League. Let's just see how they perform first before we consider them no.3 in the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

No need to be so snide. Westmeath haven't exactly performed at Dublin's level have they? All I'm saying is that Dublin only came out of the forefront as All-Ireland contenders since the League. Let's just see how they perform first before we consider them no.3 in the country.

There are 3 or four teams at the same level -i.e. the second tier. Dublin deserve to be there. The 3rd best team are from that group - it's not rocket science.
    If they beat galway they woill still be in that group, if they lose against galway they will still be in that group. Saying you will only think they are if they beat galway is a bit much I think - snide or not.

Never said they weren't in that group. Just think we should wait to see until the Galway match before we call them the 3rd best team in Ireland. I'd be saying the same thing if they were playing Cork or Waterford. They have the potential but they haven't been faced an All-Ireland QF level side yet. They played a good Offaly team but I don't think you'll be seeing Offaly in an All-Ireland semi much like the you will the Cork, Waterford and Galway level sides. Dublin could well be in that group but let's give them the chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Never said they weren't in that group. Just think we should wait to see until the Galway match before we call them the 3rd best team in Ireland. I'd be saying the same thing if they were playing Cork or Waterford. They have the potential but they haven't been faced an All-Ireland QF level side yet. They played a good Offaly team but I don't think you'll be seeing Offaly in an All-Ireland semi much like the you will the Cork, Waterford and Galway level sides. Dublin could well be in that group but let's give them the chance.

Here's where we disagree, I think dublin ARE in that group.

One way or the other we'll have a great indication after Dublin's next match.

• Advertisement

One way or the other we'll have a great indication after Dublin's next match.

....I hope it's not a draw so ;)

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ....I hope it's not a draw so ;)
    We could be looking at Tipp-Limerick all over again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I think this Dublin team are being talked up too much. They're a good team yes, but I wouldn't read too much into them winning the league. It was great for them a national title but that won't count for much from here on.

For all the progress over the last few years they've yet to beat any of the top teams in championship (though admittedly this game against Galway might be their best chance yet). I still think Galway will win this one though.

And to be fair Dublin have done very well to regroup and come back stronger after last year's disastrous defeat to Antrim, but this is a huge game for them. Lose this and they're back to square one again.

For Galway I hope JC is fit to start, and Farragher too. We'll need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kojak wrote: »
    The media are trying to put a football saying to hurling. There are a top 3 in football (cork, Dublin and Kerry) but there definalt isn't a top 3 in hurling. Its Tipp, KK and then the rest. Galway are always talked up because of underager success, but have never translated it into senior success.

If Dublin win the next day (and I think they will) then the hype will get bigger and bigger for their hurlers. It could be their biggest inpediment this year.

My money is on a newcomer to the all-ireland final this year i.e. it won't be Kilkenny vs Tipp, though we might have 2004 all over again where Waterford win Munster and Kilkenny don't win Leinster. That really annoyed me! :mad:

But I think Tipp are deserving favourites for both Munster and the all-ireland, though I wouldn't be suprised if they lost in either of them. I'd probably be more suprised to see them lose the all-ireland than Munster, though I actually laid a bet on Waterford to win the all-ireland. I'm an eejit! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

is Galway Dublin in Tullamaore and what time where can tickets be got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Match is in tullamore as croke park is unavailable due to Take that concert taking place. Pity really as would have been a much better spectacle if match was played in croker. Galway will be suited by the low key build up as all the hype will be about Dublin in the leadup to the game.

is Galway Dublin in Tullamaore and what time where can tickets be got

Tickets from all the usual sources. Pearse Stadium office, ticketmaster etc Not on sale yet. Shouldn't be any difficulty in getting one.

hoganstand wrote:
    Sean Armstrong will miss Galway's Connacht SFC semi-final against Mayo on Sunday week after suffering a recurrence of a hamstring injury in training last weekend

This is all we need!!! :mad:

No Meehan and now no Armstrong either. What is it with Galway and injuries lately. Jinxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This is all we need!!! :mad:

No Meehan and now no Armstrong either. What is it with Galway and injuries lately. Jinxed.

Cathal Kenny is also out.

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Cathal Kenny is also out.

With due respect to Cathal Kenny that isn't a particularly big loss. May not even have started anyway. Meehan and Armstrong is a crippling loss though. Meehan has been out a long time now which is a worry. (as I've heard there's a possibility he might not play at all this Summer).

aidan24326 wrote: »
    (as I've heard there's a possibility he might not play at all this Summer).
    I've heard he'll be out for 2011 completely. Armstrong is definitely a loss for us now when we're already had Meehan and possibly Padraig Joyce are out. Christ we need a big performance from Cormac Bane against Mayo again.

I've heard he'll be out for 2011 completely. Armstrong is definitely a loss for us now when we're already had Meehan and possibly Padraig Joyce are out. Christ we need a big performance from Cormac Bane against Mayo again.

I can't see him (Meehan) coming back this year. Playing him while injured last year was such a poor call.

Bane's two goals a few years back would do the trick alright.

I can't see him (Meehan) coming back this year. Playing him while injured last year was such a poor call.

Bane's two goals a few years back would do the trick alright.
    Remember the year before he came on as a sub and had a cracker too.

Really looking forward to Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Is the Galway - Mayo match on this weekend or next weekend. It would make more sense for next weekend what with the hurlers out this Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It's on Sunday the 26th.

• Advertisement

Remember the year before he came on as a sub and had a cracker too.

Really looking forward to Castlebar.

Into the Hogs Heaven Bar for a few snappy pints before hand :D Come on the tribes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerrybbb

Need come of the Galway u21 to come good this year. Two poor teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Into the Hogs Heaven Bar for a few snappy pints before hand :D Come on the tribes!!

Mick Byrnes for me! In full maroon and white regale, obviously.

Walk for life, walk for health on Saturday June 18th
    Do your part Buy a line, Do the walk,
    All Walks to start at 11.00am on the 18th of June 2011

1). Finish Glenamaddy Co-Ordinators Mick Curley & P. J. Rabbitte , Noel Finnegan
    Players: Padraigh Joyce, (Kilkerrin) Mark Hehir, (Williamstown)
    2). Finish Tuam Co-Ordinators Seamus Connolly & Padraic Kelly
    (Walk on 16th of July) Joe Waldron

3). Finish Claregalway: Co-Ordinators Seamus Finnerty & Mary Judge, Gerry Kearney & Francis Moran
    Players: Adrian Faherty, Cormac Bane, Eric Monahan,

4). Finish Oranmore Co-Ordinators Des Sheerin
    Players: Paul Conroy, Owen Concannon, John Egan, Seán Óg de Paor.

5). Finish Lackagh: Co-Ordinators Michael Ruane & Tommy Kelly
    Players: Michael Boyle, Greg Higgins, Michael Comer,

6). Finish Gort: Co-Ordinators Pat O'Donnell & Gerry Starken
    Players: Gary O'Donnell, Colin Forde.

7). Finish Ballinasloe: Co-Ordinators Larry Lohan & Mattie Kilroy
    Players: Michael Meehan (Ahascragh) Joss Moore, Gary Sweeney (Killconnell)

8). Finish Loughrea: Co-Ordinators Tommy Kelly & Gerry Larkin
    Players: Gary Sice, Danny Cummins,

9). Finish Portumna: Co-Ordinators John Donnelly & Friends
    Players: Joe Bergin, Cathal Kenny,

10). Finish Moycullen: Co-Ordinators Paddy Sweeney
    Alan Carr & John Joe Higgins
    Players: Garreth Bradshaw, Patrick Sweeney, Cathal Sweeney.

11). Finish Clonbur: Co-Ordinators John Joe Holleran & Paraic Ó Cearnaigh, Áine Ó Cuiv & Mary Holleran
    Players: Kieran McGrath & Alan Burke

12). Finish Clifden Co-Ordinators Richie Flaherty & Friends
    Players: Niall Coyne, Matthew Clancy,

13). Críoch Barna agus An Spideal Co-Ordinators Tadgh Ó Conghaile & Aidan Brady
    Players: An Spideal: Padraig Lally, Manus Breathnach,

14). Críoch Indreabhain Co-Ordinators Mairtin Ó Curraoin & Paraic Ó Conaire
    Players: Peadar Ó Gríofa, Fintan Ó Curraoin

15). Críoch Leitir Mór Co-Ordinators Joe Joe McDonagh & Paraic Ó Conaire
    Players: Fiachra Breathnach

16). Críoch Páirc Na Piarseach, Ros Muc: Co-Ordinators Cormac Ó Conaire
    Slí: Timpeall Bóthair Cloch an Cleachta. (Siúlóid ag tosnú ag mean laé).

17). An Ceathrú Rua: Co-Ordinators Seán Ó Domhnaill

18). Cill Ronáin & Inish Thiar Co-Ordinators Arthur Ó Flatharta & Mairtín Ó Coistealbha

19). Finish Inish Aoibhinn Co-Ordinators Sean McManamon & John Connolly
    Players: Finian Hanley, Johnny Duane, Diarmaid Blake, Alan Mullholland.

more info. on www.galwaygaa.ie (Phone numbers)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Whats the story with meehan what injury has he...he really the only top player we have..

People were posting on Hoganstand that he was going to be out for the year.

Nothing to back this up so I'm hoping it the usual internet ****e you get

Hi lads.

Any idea on buses heading up to Castlebar on Sunday? Bus Eirinnn have nothing listed on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

The footballers well well beaten today. They were so poor that its hard to see them being able for the challenge of Meath in Navan.

Where do we go from here?

We are at best now a middle of the road football team. So how do we build for the future?

The minor team of 2007 has'nt been developed and probably won't at this stage. The only player as of yet to make the step up is Paul Conroy and he seems to be cutting a very average senior player. We'll reserve judgement on Colin Forde yet. By the looks of things and this is not a problem reserved for the footballers, we can't seem to develop good minor players the whole way through to good senior players.
    I hope we don't have similar problems harvesting the U21s from this year. We must keep them involved and we should probably have a clearout of all players who won't be around in 3/4 years time. The game is up for the likes of Bergin, Blake, Clancy, O' Donnell, Higgins (before it began). Joyce has been a great servant but I think he'll probably hang up the boots when the season concludes.

Its a few weeks early for root and branch reform, but after seeing the display today its hard to see them coming anywhere near Meath, not that Meath are a superpower.

Time is beginning to pass us by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

The only player as of yet to make the step up is Paul Conroy and he seems to be cutting a very average senior player. We'll reserve judgement on Colin Forde yet.

Have to say, I'd be of the polar opposite view. Conroy, for me, has been terrible this season, showing none of the promise he had a couple of years ago. Poor in the league and non-existent today, bar the goal.
    Forde has been doing very well so far. Played very well in the league, excellent in the U21 games and was solid for the majority of today. Certainly one of our better players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Have to say, I'd be of the polar opposite view. Conroy, for me, has been terrible this season, showing none of the promise he had a couple of years ago. Poor in the league and non-existent today, bar the goal.

He has been poor this year alright, but when I say average I mean in comparison to other intercounty players, be it London, Louth or Kerry. By Galway standards he's been poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement