Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Oasis made one good album since Be Here Now

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Live4Ever wrote: »
    B Sides
    Just thinking back over all the b sides Oasis have had, if they had used those b sides as tracks on albums they probably would have had more critical acclaim. The Masterplan is amazing, here are a few great Oasis b sides. Add some more if you can think of any, we'll make a new album :D.

1. Bonehead's Bank Holiday
    2. Lord Don't Slow Me Down
    3. (As long as They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell
    4. Whatever
    5. Cloudburst
    6. Alive
    7. Heroes

Does everyone hate Little James?! I facking love it!!

LIVE FOR YOU TOYS :D

Most bands would make careers out of a few Oasis b-sides:D If youre getting an album together heres a few more:) I got The Fever, quite possibly the best b-side of them all..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

+1 to Rock N' Roll Star as the best opener to a debut album EVER!!

Hahahaha so true! :D

Jesus thats pretty cool, lets hope they get it sorted and some of it is put on the internet for eager fans!

B Sides
    Just thinking back over all the b sides Oasis have had, if they had used those b sides as tracks on albums they probably would have had more critical acclaim. The Masterplan is amazing, here are a few great Oasis b sides. Add some more if you can think of any, we'll make a new album :D.

4. Whatever
    5. Cloudburst
    6. Alive
    7. Heroes

Whatever and Lord Don't Slow me Down weren't B-sides :D

You could definitely add "Let's All Make Believe" to the list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This thread has inspired me to rip the 86 Oasis songs I have from CDs and onto my iPod. Some of them I haven't listened to in ten years, used to know them all off word-for-word. Might even go as far as buying the newer albums.

Also have to remember how to play a couple of them I used to play a lot like Masterplan and Sad song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

B Sides

4. Whatever
    5. Cloudburst
    6. Alive
    7. Heroes

Yeah Little James is up there with Nature of Reality as the worst ever to appear on an Oasis album.

Boneheads Bank Holiday wasnt a B-side it was track 7 on the vinyl edition of (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? pretty much the same as Sad Song was on Definitely Maybe. Whatever and Lord Dont Slow Me Down were non album singles.

D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
    Round Are Way
    Step Out
    My Sister Lover
    (I Got) The Fever
    Lets All Make Believe
    One Way Road
    Carry Us All
    Full On
    (Youve Got) The Heart of a Star
    Just Getting Older
    (BDI ripped this off with Morning Son on their new album)
    Idler's Dream
    Shout It Out Loud
    Sitting Here In Silence (On My Own)
    Those Swollen Hand Blues
    Pass Me Down the Wine
    (by Liam)
    On the Dig Out Your Soul deluxe edition disc theres I Believe In All and Boy With the Blues from Liam that were top tunes and Waiting for the Rapture (Alt Version #2) and The Turning (Alt Version #4) were pretty good and different takes on the album versions I dont know whether they count as B-sides though. On the soundtrack to Goal there's Who Put the Weight of the World on my Shoulders. And not forgetting the 22 minute long remix of Falling Down by Amorphous Androynous which is actually pretty good, I used to put it on when I was in the shower as it was the only place I could stay put for that amount of time haha.

also I see you mentioned Heroes, personally I think their covers of My Generation and Cum on Feel the Noize are much better. But with this list added to The Masterplan there was definitely two great albums worth of stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

One Way Road

Paul Weller did a far better version of that song on his 'Studio 150' album imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

They've made more than one good album since 1997, Heathen Chemistry, Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are all good albums, not great and its tough to compare them to the early Oasis' stuff but they are good albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

SINCE Be Here Now? Be Here Now is probably still their worst album.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    One Way Road

Paul Weller did a far better version of that song on his 'Studio 150' album imo.

The first time I heard the song I actually thought it was a Weller cover, but I dont think Weller's is better I think its just a happier song whereas I think Noel sings it from the heart. Its about Noels coke habit I think
    Mark! wrote: »
    They've made more than one good album since 1997, Heathen Chemistry, Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are all good albums, not great and its tough to compare them to the early Oasis' stuff but they are good albums.
    Give me Standing on the Shoulders over Heathen Chemistry any day.. Dig Out Your Soul is the best album since Whats the Story without a doubt for me

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Well Be Here Now wasn't great. It was too long, over produced and was full of poor songwriting.

With regards the OP, I believe Don't Believe The Truth is a good album post 90s. Singles are brilliant, album tracks are of a great standard 'Part Of The Queue' 'Keep The Dream Alive' 'Mucky Fingers'. Standing and Heathen were of a mediocre standard. Dig Out Your Soul was good but not as good as Don't Believe The Truth. When DOYS goes past track 7 and the Noel Gallagher written songs, the quality goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

=
    With regards the OP, I believe Don't Believe The Truth is a good album post 90s.

I'm not sure if I believe that tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

gustavo wrote: »
    Whatever and Lord Don't Slow me Down weren't B-sides :D

You could definitely add "Let's All Make Believe" to the list :)

Was Let's All Make Believe a b side? Its on Standing on the Shoulders of Giants?
    Dotsey wrote: »
    Yeah Little James is up there with Nature of Reality as the worst ever to appear on an Oasis album.

Boneheads Bank Holiday wasnt a B-side it was track 7 on the vinyl edition of (Whats the Story) Morning Glory? pretty much the same as Sad Song was on Definitely Maybe. Whatever and Lord Dont Slow Me Down were non album singles.

D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman
    Round Are Way
    Step Out
    My Sister Lover
    (I Got) The Fever
    Lets All Make Believe
    One Way Road
    Carry Us All
    Full On
    (Youve Got) The Heart of a Star
    Just Getting Older
    (BDI ripped this off with Morning Son on their new album)
    Idler's Dream
    Shout It Out Loud
    Sitting Here In Silence (On My Own)
    Those Swollen Hand Blues
    Pass Me Down the Wine
    (by Liam)
    On the Dig Out Your Soul deluxe edition disc theres I Believe In All and Boy With the Blues from Liam that were top tunes and Waiting for the Rapture (Alt Version #2) and The Turning (Alt Version #4) were pretty good and different takes on the album versions I dont know whether they count as B-sides though. On the soundtrack to Goal there's Who Put the Weight of the World on my Shoulders. And not forgetting the 22 minute long remix of Falling Down by Amorphous Androynous which is actually pretty good, I used to put it on when I was in the shower as it was the only place I could stay put for that amount of time haha.

also I see you mentioned Heroes, personally I think their covers of My Generation and Cum on Feel the Noize are much better. But with this list added to The Masterplan there was definitely two great albums worth of stuff there

Holy fcuk, there's still a sh*t load of Oasis tunes I haven't heard!! TBH I only got into Oasis in Novemeber '08 when I got my ticket for Slane, up until then I only knew the usuals, ya know yourself. Since then it's been a runaway freight train!! Pretty much emersed myself in the Gallaghers and The Beatles :D

Yeah My Generation and Cum on Feel the Noize are quality. Helter Skelter is also brill. I see some of what I listed aren't b sides. TBH I just have an album in iTunes called "Oasis: B Sides" and I lob any non album tunes that I haven't heard in there.

Is there any essential non album tunes I should check out?! You know your stuff Dotsey!!

Oh, we forgot (according to my iPhone anyways :rolleyes:):
    Eyeball Tickler
    Flashbax
    Angel Child
    The Fame
    The Quiet Ones
    Boy With The Blues
    I Believe In All

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Was Let's All Make Believe a b side? Its on Standing on the Shoulders of Giants?

Go Let It Out b-side. Should have been an album track. Could very well have passed as a single

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

In answer to the title of the thread ..................... NO.

Holy fcuk, there's still a sh*t load of Oasis tunes I haven't heard!! TBH I only got into Oasis in Novemeber '08 when I got my ticket for Slane, up until then I only knew the usuals, ya know yourself. Since then it's been a runaway freight train!! Pretty much emersed myself in the Gallaghers and The Beatles :D

Yeah My Generation and Cum on Feel the Noize are quality. Helter Skelter is also brill. I see some of what I listed aren't b sides. TBH I just have an album in iTunes called "Oasis: B Sides" and I lob any non album tunes that I haven't heard in there.

Is there any essential non album tunes I should check out?! You know your stuff Dotsey!!

Oh, we forgot (according to my iPhone anyways :rolleyes:):
    Eyeball Tickler
    Flashbax
    Angel Child
    The Fame
    The Quiet Ones

The b-sides I listed are the best ones imo so theyre the ones to ckeck out, for the first 12 singles Oasis released they generally had 3 new b-sides on each so a lot of material of album quality was been churned out as extra tracks all over the place. There's other unreleased leaked tracks like Stop the Clocks, Record Machine and Revolution Song that have never been released that I also have within my collection. Theyre strong possibilites for Noel's solo album I reckon.
    Go Let It Out b-side. Should have been an album track. Could very well have passed as a single

Yeah dont know why it was omitted, considering it was a short album with only 10 tunes and one of them was Little James.. F***in in the Bushes was the best tune on the album and thats an instrumental but the music behind it is almost like Led Zepp at their best. On SOTSOG alone they couldve added Lets All Make Believe, One Way Road, Full On and Carry Us All from the b-sides and made it a chunkier album, them four songs lyrically are better than most songs on the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Full On is a pretty good song that I would have put on Giants over 'I Can See A Liar'. It's crazy that LAMB was left as a b-side to GLIO.

Some bizzare choices were made during that period.

be here now is without a doubt my favourite album!

zimovain wrote: »
    Full On is a pretty good song that I would have put on Giants over 'I Can See A Liar'. It's crazy that LAMB was left as a b-side to GLIO.

Some bizzare choices were made during that period.
    Noel did say something along the lines of that looking back over the SOTSOG and HC period that most of the inspiring stuff ended up as b-sides but that he was singing on most of them and he couldnt put them on the albums as it would dilute Liam as the lead singer.
    I always loved Full On, must have listened to it for weeks when I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Be Here Now was a good album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

It's about 18 minutes too long but there are some belting tracks on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

an absolutely cracking one! :D

delighted to see so many others here appreciating the lesser known b-sides, i.e the ones not on the masterplan.

i got the fever is some tune!!

d'yer wanna be a spaceman is my favourite though!

• Advertisement

Hmm I dunno, I think It's Getting Better (Man !!) is about 3 minutes too short, I could listen to "is gettin better maaaaaan" all day! :D...;)

In the Time Flies clips Noel said he thought it was a cracking album (which it is) then he sat down with the label heads or whatever and the first track took so long to start, and they were all looking at their watches during the intro to "Dya Know What I Mean?". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Couldn't agree more with thread title.

I wrote up nearly word for word in the Beady eyes lovers thread and got shot down. I'd love to know what happened to Oasis- after Be here now the albums becames cliches. they forgot how to press the overdrive button on the amps. Listen to DM again and you hear the fuzz coming from the amps- it was raw and it sounded great. There albums became over produced the last few attempts. Hindu times was a great song- and the Bside of Noel singing it with the heavier drums is in fact a better song. Each album since BHN had only a handful of good songs on each.

I have every oasis single up to there last few.

Songs that stand out for me is:

Columbia the white label demo
    Fade Away the wa child version
    Up in the sky acoustic b side to live forever
    Flasbax
    Heros bide to d'yer know what i mean

I would love BHN to be redone- strip the songs back. Although fade in/ out could be left as is. maybe cut that long intro to DYKWIM and magic pie tidyed up a bit.

Avoid saying anything bad about beady eye in the other thread- you will be shot!!!!! there new album is cringy- if it wasnt Liam gallaghers new band the album wouldnt of seen the light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

^ Really good post, right up until the last bit! I really like the Beady Eye album but each to their own!....One that I dont think got mentioned was a song Noel did for one of the Goal! films called "Who put the Weight of the World on my shoulders"......its really good. I agree with I Got the Fever and Let's all make believe, 2 of my favourite Bsides. Looking at obscure Oasis Tunes, going right back, pre Definitely Maybe, there's a CD I got, I think its called The Untold Story, very early stuff, demos etc, 3 of my favourites would be Colour My Life, Take Me and Life in Vain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

i'ev listened to the Beady eye album but i just feel its gone was too Lennon esque. Liams singing is key perfect but i find he's changed his voice to when they started out. i know everyones voice changes but i think he's forcing himself to sound like lennon. i went asleep listening to the album last night- its just ok 5 out of 10 from me.

The early oasis stuff is real trippy stone roses type stuff.

I dont know where i got it but i downloaded a song which was labelled "guess god thinks i'm abel" but it was another song- recorded round the time of HC & DBTT its was amazing. sadly i lost the copy i had and since the song was labelled wrong i cannot find it- its was the best song i've heard oasis tdo since DM. i must try find it.

I dont know where i got it but i downloaded a song which was labelled "guess god thinks i'm abel" but it was another song- recorded round the time of HC & DBTT its was amazing. sadly i lost the copy i had and since the song was labelled wrong i cannot find it- its was the best song i've heard oasis tdo since DM. i must try find it.

Hey man, it's the Late Late version aswell, just for you :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZmoOPMg0Vc

i'ev listened to the Beady eye album but i just feel its gone was too Lennon esque. Liams singing is key perfect but i find he's changed his voice to when they started out. i know everyones voice changes but i think he's forcing himself to sound like lennon. i went asleep listening to the album last night- its just ok 5 out of 10 from me.

The early oasis stuff is real trippy stone roses type stuff.

Liam's voice sounds good on albums and at the start of tours, but his singing style is the problem. He puts too much strain on his voice and has damaged it, so what happened when Oasis played live was he was lowered down a bit because his voice was so bad but that only made him shout harder to be heard and damaged it even more.
    Noel is a much better singer than Liam, but Liam has the best voice.
    "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel" was on DBTT and was written by Liam. But the best song since DM is a piss take to be honest.
    Oasis defined modern alternative music and have influenced a genre coming on the back of them. Bands like The Verve, OCS, Libertines, Kasabian wouldnt be around only for Oasis. I know The Verve and OCS were going before Oasis but they raised their game and changed their style after DM.
    Noel Gallagher is the best and most influential songwriter in the last 25 years. Oasis made playing a guitar cool again

Advertisement