Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Oasis made one good album since Be Here Now

Options
  • 13-02-2011 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

Was just browsing through my old CD collection earlier and came across a few oasis albums and singles, but none that came after Be Here Now back in 1997. They had two great albums back in 1994 and 1995 - Definitely Maybe and What's the Story, and then of course their third album Be Here Now in 1997 was just about acceptable. A few of their old singles like Whatever were good as well.

However from looking at their work in the 2000s, starting with their 4th album "Standing on the shoulder of giants" released in 2000, it appears to go downhill from there, and the music becomes quiet frankly untalented rubbish - which is unusual for a band whose first two albums were of such good quality. If there are any other oasis fans here, am I right in saying that they've been going downhill since their third album in 1997?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They tried too hard to be the Beatles, and severely ****ed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

If they havn't it is no doubt the fault of the Catholic church.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Moved from After hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

dilbert2 wrote: »
    If there are any other oasis fans here, am I right in saying that they've been going downhill since their third album in 1997?

dude, Oasis aren't together anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

dilbert2 wrote: »
    If there are any other oasis fans here, am I right in saying that they've been going downhill since their third album in 1997?

It's 2005 again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

This is just going to turn into an Oasis bashing thread...

For what it's worth I think SOTSOG, Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe The Truth were pretty damn good albums but they would always be compared to the first two, and to be fair they were never gonna hit the heights of them two.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jungleland86

Dig out your Soul was their best album in my opinion. They finally seemed to be heading in an interesting (and more psychedelic) direction when they broke up. Any hope for decent music rests with Noel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

dig out your soul and heathen chemistry are brilliant albums but they were made by oasis which people will always compare to there first 2 albums so there ****e.

**** oasis anyway its all about beady eye now :D

live forever
    ricero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are as good as the first two albums in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

They were never going to top DM and WTSMG but I think subsequent albums each have a few stand out tracks.

Giants: Roll It Over and Sunday Morning Call were great songs. It's a shame Roll It Over was never played live.

Heathen Chemistry: The poorest of the lot in my opionion. Little By Little and Better Man were decent. Songbird is good in a chirpy kind of way.

Don't Believe The Truth: The Meaning of Soul and Lyla are brilliant.

Dig Out Your Sould: One of their best. No bad songs on this album IMO. Waiting For The Rapture, Bag It Up and Soldier On are standouts for me.

All that being said, they put some rubbish out as well. I Can See A Liar, Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is and (Probably) All In The Mind were awful.

The B-Sides are for a different thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Heathen Chemistrys one of my favourites, great album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Yep, Heathen Chemistry is a great album in my opinion. I think SCYHO and Little by Little are easily amongst the best work Oasis have put out, the rest of the album is solid as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Who??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

bryaner wrote: »
    Who??

no this is an oasis thread, not the who

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Yep, they're all good albums. It's just impossible for them to beat Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory as they're two of the finest albums I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

Yeah, i was such a massive Oasis fan and after SOTSOG i kinda lost interest. Apart from a couple of songs it wasnt as good but i suppose it would be hard to top DM and WTSMG to be fair.

They where the band that lead me to pick up the guitar.

Great band 94-97/98.

Love the b-side album as well. Some great great songs. Ill never know why they put the masterplan as a bside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

How many Oasis related threads do we need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Don't Believe the Truth and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

be here now was good :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    be here now was good :confused::confused:

it is fuppin' excellent imo

oasis didnt make a truly great album after BHN, but they were damn good with a lot of great songs written unfortunately let down by songs like little james, she is love, get off your high horse lady which prevented them from being great.

particularly annoying when they had b-sides from that era which were superb such as lets all make believe, carry us all, shout it out loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Everything Oasis released since Be Here Now was good IMO. Theres probably 2 or 3 weak tracks on each, but everything else is quality.

Not too gone on Beady Eye though.

Everything Oasis released since Be Here Now was good IMO. Theres probably 2 or 3 weak tracks on each, but everything else is quality.

Not too gone on Beady Eye though.

beady eyes new albums quite amazing as good as whats the story .... and defiantly maybe IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

smokedeels wrote: »
    How many Oasis related threads do we need?

This is a strange type of reply that is always in any thread concerning Oasis, There could be 50 threads in a row about Radiohead, Rory Gallagher, etc etc ... and you'll never get Oasis fans butting in to tell everyone how much they hate Radiohead, RG, etc ... for some reason, people seem to have a need to give an unwanted opinion about a band they clearly dislike. If you don't like Oasis, so what, Oasis fans don't want to know. There are a lot of Oasis threads because there are a lot of Oasis fans.

dhmusic wrote: »
    This is a strange type of reply that is always in any thread concerning Oasis, There could be 50 threads in a row about Radiohead, Rory Gallagher, etc etc ... and you'll never get Oasis fans butting in to tell everyone how much they hate Radiohead, RG, etc ... for some reason, people seem to have a need to give an unwanted opinion about a band they clearly dislike. If you don't like Oasis, so what, Oasis fans don't want to know. There are a lot of Oasis threads because there are a lot of Oasis fans.

****ing true words spoken mate to many oasis haters on this not because of the music they produce but because of liam gallagher personality. thom yorkes a cock but i still like radiohead ;)

live forever

ricero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

bryaner wrote: »
    Who??

Beatles tribute band without the actual covers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Bonavox wrote: »

If they don't do covers, they're not really a tribute band, are they? :rolleyes:

And why does anyone that dislikes Oasis have to say they're just a Beatles tribute band. They're a great band in their own right, with some mega tunes, no need to paint them with the "Oh they're just a glorified Beatles tribute act" brush.

oasis are the band the beatles should of been ;)

*yawn...... :rolleyes:

for such a smart arse you think you would realise they actually have covered, i am the walrus, helter skelter, within you without you, you've got to hide your love away

• Advertisement

If they don't do covers, they're not really a tribute band, are they? :rolleyes:

And why does anyone that dislikes Oasis have to say they're just a Beatles tribute band. They're a great band in their own right, with some mega tunes, no need to paint them with the "Oh they're just a glorified Beatles tribute act" brush.

they do that because they are lazy and also fail to realise that the chances are whatever music they like were heavily influenced by the beatles too (what artist hasn't been?)

the only difference is that the gallaghers have the fucking balls to be open, honest and very funny about their admiration for the fab four

Advertisement