Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Oasis made one good album since Be Here Now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

ricero wrote: »
    oasis are the band the beatles should of been ;)

Haha, are you serious? :D I seriously hope you're not serious with that absolute lunatic claim. Everything about them reeks obsession with The Beatles, and WTSMG is hugely overrated and DOYS was the beginning of the end.

I honestly don't get how people can enjoy two bickering brothers surrounded by a backing band (let's be honest) that continued to change. Liam Gallagher alone is the captial dick of the music industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Bonavox wrote: »
    Haha, are you serious? :D I seriously hope you're not serious with that absolute lunatic claim. Everything about them reeks obsession with The Beatles, and WTSMG is hugely overrated and DOYS was the beginning of the end.

I honestly don't get how people can enjoy two bickering brothers surrounded by a backing band (let's be honest) that continued to change. Liam Gallagher alone is the captial dick of the music industry.

of course im joking but liam is a ****ing legend

of course im joking but liam is a ****ing legend

He's a mindless thug who should be in jail. :rolleyes:

one mans mindless thug is another mans genius ;)

to be fair hes calm down a lot

one mans mindless thug is another mans genius ;)

to be fair hes calm down a lot

No, he's just a mindless thug. ;)

And yeah, he's really calmed down. Throwing his BRIT into the audience that was awarded to Oasis, thanking everyone from the band besides Noel and flipping the finger is wonderful progress, isn't it? Sarcastic, btw. ;)

• Advertisement

No, he's just a mindless thug. ;)

And yeah, he's really calmed down. Throwing his BRIT into the audience that was awarded to Oasis, thanking everyone from the band besides Noel and flipping the finger is wonderful progress, isn't it? Sarcastic, btw. ;)

the whole brit thing was overblown he was just giving the award to the fans thats all the mans keeping the rock n roll lifestyle alive man to many puff bands emerging. he should of thanked noel but thats sibling rivalry for ya. hes not a mindless thug either the man is producing a very successful clothing range which has won many awards and stock is rising.
    also his new band is the dogs bollix ;)

live forever

ricero

the whole brit thing was overblown he was just giving the award to the fans thats all the mans keeping the rock n roll lifestyle alive man to many puff bands emerging. he should of thanked noel but thats sibling rivalry for ya. hes not a mindless thug either the man is producing a very successful clothing range which has won many awards and stock is rising.

live forever

ricero

No he threw it in, and BRIT staff had to fish it from the audience. It was a big award and could have genuinely hurt someone. And you say he's keeping the rock and roll lifestyle alive opposed to these "puff" bands ... then you go on to mention he's releasing a clothing range? Yeah, rock on. :rolleyes:

I'd comment on Beady Eye, but quite frankly, I haven't heard anything from them yet.

No he threw it in, and BRIT staff had to fish it from the audience. It was a big award and could have genuinely hurt someone. And you say he's keeping the rock and roll lifestyle alive opposed to these "puff" bands ... then you go on to mention he's releasing a clothing range? Yeah, rock on. :rolleyes:

I'd comment on Beady Eye, but quite frankly, I haven't heard anything from them yet.

haha there nice clothes man mod style you need to look cool if your a rock star. im sorry but he gently threw that award in ffs the brits are bollix in anyway.

give them a listen there good **** noel, liams the man.

live forever

ricero
    haha there nice clothes man mod style you need to look cool if your a rock star. im sorry but he gently threw that award in ffs the brits are bollix in anyway.

give them a listen there good **** noel, liams the man.

As much as I don't like Oasis, I have absolutely no doubt that Noel made the band. Liam is an overrated asshole and it's just the way he is. He can't help it, and people can see that, so they just ignore him now. Anyway, your posts lack any real grammar, and more importantly, argument, so I'll bid out. Enjoy Beady Eye. :)

As much as I don't like Oasis, I have absolutely no doubt that Noel made the band. Liam is an overrated asshole and it's just the way he is. He can't help it, and people can see that, so they just ignore him now. Anyway, your posts lack any real grammar, and more importantly, argument, so I'll bid out. Enjoy Beady Eye. :)

noel wrote the songs yea but oasis would of been ****ing nothing without liam on vocals and his charisma as the front man of the band. he was recently voted the greatest front man of all time

anyway i take it you listen to my chemical romance and puff bands like that so **** rite off

live forever

ricero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ricero, tell another member of this forum to "**** rite off" again and you'll see getting a holiday from this forum.

Final warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

WTSMG is hugely overrated

Hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

As much as I don't like Oasis, I have absolutely no doubt that Noel made the band. Liam is an overrated asshole and it's just the way he is.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Liam Gallagher I can tell you first hand he is anything but an asshole. He's a gentleman of the highest order. He might have been wild in his youth but then given enough fame and money any of us might well have been. He's hardly over-rated when he's the lead singer in what was one of the biggest bands in the world. Noel might have written the songs but Oasis would not have been Oasis without Liam. One of the best vocalists out there IMO.
    He can't help it, and people can see that, so they just ignore him now.

Have you tried getting tickets to Beady Eye? They're all sold out.
    Anyway, your posts lack any real grammar, and more importantly, argument, so I'll bid out. Enjoy Beady Eye. :)

By now, you should've somehow, realised that grammar nazis are uncool. Is that Liam Gallagher in your head singing that line? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They should have called it a day after Knebworth,they were the biggest band in the world then everything after this point was second rate.

Definitely Maybe was a masterpiece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dhmusic

Another argument people are using is the "beatles tribute band" thing. To rubbish a band because they are apparently un-original is to rubbish every piece of music you can think of. Everything is borrowed, Nirvana ripped off plenty of bands but they were still great in their own right.

A lot of the hatred comes from envy, that Oasis became the biggest band in the world for a time, coming from a small indie label, not much musical ability and simplicity as the main musical approach. That pissed off a lot of other bands who came from similar small labels, had better musical ability but lacked the mass appeal Oasis had. Most of them play the "we never sold out just to get to number 1" card, disguising the fact that if the majority of "cool" bands really had a proper go at it, they would fail miserably. Oasis went for it and achieved it.

They brought guitar music back to the masses and for a while you had bands like Oasis, Blur, The Verve, Ocean Colour Scene dominating radio and the charts instead of the computer pop over-produced over-packaged ****e that has ruled the roost ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

I've been a fan of Oasis, I've always thought Noel has an ear for a tune. I thought the introduction of Gem and Andy Bell was a great move. As they were better musicians than what the band had including Noel. Not everything they did was great but if you go through their albums they've plenty of good stuff. Straight forward retro rock n roll with, crackin' vocals from Liam. Liam, Gem and Andy also had the occasional decent song.

The only criticism I'd have would be that I thought more effort could have been put in lyrically to their songs. It all seemed a little lazy at times and far too many Beatle references.

I'd love to see Noel link up with a lyricist in the future and see what tunes they can come up with. Similar to how the MSP work with James, Nicky and Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

dilbert2 wrote: »
    Was just browsing through my old CD collection earlier and came across a few oasis albums and singles, but none that came after Be Here Now back in 1997. They had two great albums back in 1994 and 1995 - Definitely Maybe and What's the Story, and then of course their third album Be Here Now in 1997 was just about acceptable. A few of their old singles like Whatever were good as well.

However from looking at their work in the 2000s, starting with their 4th album "Standing on the shoulder of giants" released in 2000, it appears to go downhill from there, and the music becomes quiet frankly untalented rubbish - which is unusual for a band whose first two albums were of such good quality. If there are any other oasis fans here, am I right in saying that they've been going downhill since their third album in 1997?

Couldn't agree more. The first two albums were great, but everything went downhill from Be Here Now onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

what exactly should he be in jail for? :rolleyes:

methinks it's not liam who is the 'mindless' one

Couldn't agree more. The first two albums were great, but everything went downhill from Be Here Now onwards.

Personally speaking I've always thought Morning Glory was overrated and Be Here Now not that good. Cast No Shadow was the stand out song on the album. Wonderall, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova are decent tunes that I don't listen to much. But the rest of the album imo, is pretty poor. 'Do You Know What I mean' from Be Here Now was a belter but after that the rest of the album is pretty poor.

For me, most of Oasis' best stuff is on Don't Believe the Truth and Heathen Chemistry. Songs like 'Turn Up the Sun', 'Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, Keep the Dream Alive, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel, Lyla, Hindu Times, Idle, Crying your heart out, etc, are far better than what's on Morning Glory and Be Here Now.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Personally speaking I've always thought Morning Glory was overrated and Be Here Now not that good. Cast No Shadow was the stand out song on the album. Wonderall, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova are decent tunes that I don't listen to much. But the rest of the album imo, is pretty poor. 'Do You Know What I mean' from Be Here Now was a belter but after that the rest of the album is pretty poor.

For me, most of Oasis' best stuff is on Don't Believe the Truth and Heathen Chemistry. Songs like 'Turn Up the Sun', 'Songbird, Born on a Different Cloud, Keep the Dream Alive, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel, Lyla, Hindu Times, Idle, Crying your heart out, etc, are far better than what's on Morning Glory and Be Here Now.

some might say is the best tune on whats the story...

****ing epic man thats pure rock n roll. one me fav songs by oasis is lord dont slow me down ****ing rock n roll man :D

live forever

ricero

• Advertisement

some might say is the best tune on whats the story...

****ing epic man thats pure rock n roll. one me fav songs by oasis is lord dont slow me down ****ing rock n roll man :D

live forever

ricero

Some Might Say is pretty good. But songs like Roll with It and Hello ain't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sydsad wrote: »
    Yeah, i was such a massive Oasis fan and after SOTSOG i kinda lost interest. Apart from a couple of songs it wasnt as good but i suppose it would be hard to top DM and WTSMG to be fair.

They where the band that lead me to pick up the guitar.

Great band 94-97/98.

Love the b-side album as well. Some great great songs. Ill never know why they put the masterplan as a bside though.
    WTF? Are you me posting from some other account?

I was fairly crazy into Oasis from around the time Wonderwall was released to roughly around the time that The Masterplan was released. Funnily enough I didn't buy that one cos I already had all the songs on it. I bought a first-day copy of Be Here Now which I still have. I remember feeling that it was a bit of a let-down after Morning Glory but I still knew it inside-out.
    I had (maybe still have) their unplugged set recorded from MTV and watched it about fifty times.

I did buy SOTSOG and that's the last Oasis album I bought.
    By that time I'd gotten into heavier stuff and was drinking in metal bars :D

I started playing guitar to play Oasis stuff and at my most fanatical I could probably play 20 or 30 of their songs off the bat.

I remember about 6 years ago thinking it was really odd that Oasis had released new albums and I hadn't heard a single song from them, given how mad I was into them when I was younger. I don't think I ever got over the loss of Bonehead and Paul McGuigan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Don't believe the truth is a great album IMHO:)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Yes they certainly did make great albums after the legendary Be Here Now.

Be Here Now is underrated by most imo. Some of the tracks are cracking: Dya Know What I Mean?, Its Getting Better (Man !!), I hope, I think, I Know. Actually every tune on that album is fab - it's a great driving album. Loud guitar and cracking vocals from Liam.

SOTSOG is also underrated. It's another great album and another great driving album (Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, Go Let It Out, ****in In The Bushes, Who Feels Love).

I think it's worth noting that during these two album, Oasis were at the height of their drug use and you can hear that in the songs: The airplane intro at the start of Dya Know What I Mean? etc.

The Masterplan is a masterpiece, yes it's all b sides but every tune is gold, if your not familiar with it check out: Its Good to be Free, Stay Young, Headshrinker, Underneath the Sky and Fade Away. That album is probably the best Oasis record.

HC & DBTT are, IMHO, the two weakest Oasis albums because:

With the first 5 albums (DF, WTSMG, BHN, SOTSOG AND TM) you can listen to each album the whole way through without stopping and skipping tunes. With HC and DBTT I am often skipping past songs. IMO they are only fair albums although they do have some good tunes to be fair.

Dig Out Your Soul was a great album and to be fair it was also a great tour. The Shock of the Lightning was almost back to Oasis after two average albums. Falling Down, Bag It Up and I'm Outta Time are also belters.

Seriously, what is with the Oasis Haters?! You make me fcuking sick, everytime someone starts a thread about Oasis or the Gallaghers it is immediatley shot down and trampled over. We don't invade other discussions and berate people for liking a certain band or artist. However, when you all invade our thread we will give it back as good as we get which is fair. You all say "each to their own" but you don't mean it. What you really mean is "each to their own, except people who like Oasis, you can fcuk off."

You are all jealous of NG and LG. They are two ordinary guys from a working class part of Manchester who said "Alright old bean, lets go have the world' AND THEY FCUKING DID. They will never be forgotten, now I don't know what bands all you haters like but there won't be many that will stand the test of time like Oasis or have influenced so many other bands and generations of people.

The fact is they were amazing, they've sold 50 million+ records and have millions upon millions of fans. Now feck off and leave us talk sh*te about Oasis in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Live4Ever wrote: »
    The Masterplan is a masterpiece, yes it's all b sides but every tune is gold, if your not familiar with it check out: Its Good to be Free, Stay Young, Headshrinker, Underneath the Sky and Fade Away. That album is probably the best Oasis record.

I second that:) First two albums were outstanding I think and after them it was hard to live up to what had come before. I dont think Noel gets the credit he deserves for his song writing ability I think he is underrated. I also think eventually another B-side album will be released they have lots of material that could be used it may even top the Masterplan if it does happen someday. These three tunes should be on it for sure am looking forward to Noels solo album when it's released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Definitely Maybe: Is one of the best albums of its time and probably any time, one bad song in Digsys Dinner. In Rock N' Roll Star they have possibly the best first track on a debut album ever.

Whats the Story: Had a lot of big hits but poor songs in Hello, Roll With It and Some Might Say that were made up for in the brilliance of Wonderwall, DLBIA, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova. With B-Sides on singles such as Acquiesce and The Masterplan this could easily have been one of the best ever.

Be Here Now: an over-produced mess of an album, I'd love to hear a slimmed down version as some of the songs could be excellent done in a different way.

SOTSOG: Practically a Noel solo album considering he played rhythm, lead and bass on all the songs, he also produced it and wrote 9 out of 10 songs. FITB and GLIO are top top tunes. Contained the first non Noel Gallagher song on an Oasis album in Liams "Little James" but this is a forgettable song.

Heathen Chemistry: Noel's worst album for song writing and I remember Gem saying in an interview that he thinks Noel had writers block at this stage. SCYHO and LBL are top anthems and Liam's two best songs to date in Songbird and BOADC are on here. Andy and Gems first album as Oasis members and they contributed one song each.

Dont Believe the Truth: An undoubted return to form with TIOBI the standout track, LTBL and also Andy Bell's TUTS deserve an honourable mention as does Lyla as a live track.

Dig Out Your Soul: In my opinion their third best album, Bag It Up, The Turning, WFTR and TSOTL launch this album into a non stop intro full of energy with each song running in to each other. Six of the first seven songs are top of the range apart from High Horse Lady which was a gap filler from IOT to Falling Down but the second half of the album is weak particularly the last three songs. But the tour and live setlist meant they went out at their peak.

Oasis also have probably two excellent albums from their b-sides as can be seen from their compilation album The Masterplan and are estimated to have sold 70 million records worldwide. Undoubtedly the best and most influential band of the last twenty years and with Noel Gallagher they had one the the Britians greatest ever songwriters. Considering Noel and Liam were second generation Irishmen we can claim them as our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Dotsey wrote: »
    Be Here Now: an over-produced mess of an album, I'd love to hear a slimmed down version as some of the songs could be excellent done in a different way.

Yup, me too. I'd love it to happen, but never reckon it will. Shame really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

An album of Be Here Now songs in acoustic format would be a completely different album. It would be like blowing all the coke off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The sessions and demos do exist and are out there in some collectors hands, but other collectors have been unsuccessful in obtaining them as he wont name his price. There's a guy on another forum that has recently obtained about 4 hours of Definitely Maybe sessions and instrumentals from Dig Out Your Soul with studio work and early production and he's trying to contact him for a swap deal or some sort of solution. So there's hope that a deal can be done but unfortunately it could take years
    thats a link to a small bit of the Defintely Maybe stuff he has, but he's obviously not releasing full songs as it will reduce his bargaining power if someone comes forward with the Be Here Now sessions
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=46QOV1IG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

In Rock N' Roll Star they have possibly the best first track on a debut album ever.

Whats the Story: Had a lot of big hits but poor songs in Hello, Roll With It and Some Might Say.

+1 to Rock N' Roll Star as the best opener to a debut album EVER!!
    An album of Be Here Now songs in acoustic format would be a completely different album. It would be like blowing all the coke off!

Hahahaha so true! :D
    The sessions and demos do exist and are out there in some collectors hands, but other collectors have been unsuccessful in obtaining them as he wont name his price. There's a guy on another forum that has recently obtained about 4 hours of Definitely Maybe sessions and instrumentals from Dig Out Your Soul with studio work and early production and he's trying to contact him for a swap deal or some sort of solution. So there's hope that a deal can be done but unfortunately it could take years
    thats a link to a small bit of the Defintely Maybe stuff he has, but he's obviously not releasing full songs as it will reduce his bargaining power if someone comes forward with the Be Here Now sessions!

Jesus thats pretty cool, lets hope they get it sorted and some of it is put on the internet for eager fans!

B Sides
    Just thinking back over all the b sides Oasis have had, if they had used those b sides as tracks on albums they probably would have had more critical acclaim. The Masterplan is amazing, here are a few great Oasis b sides. Add some more if you can think of any, we'll make a new album :D.

1. Bonehead's Bank Holiday
    2. Lord Don't Slow Me Down
    3. (As long as They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell
    4. Whatever
    5. Cloudburst
    6. Alive
    7. Heroes

Does everyone hate Little James?! I facking love it!!

LIVE FOR YOU TOYS :D

Advertisement