Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just done the tb test, fingers crossed for thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

feck..forgot about ice road truckers last friday :D
    stupidly i bought the box set of ice road truckers for my husband last christmas .... think there was 8 dvds in it. thought they would never be over , felt like misplacing the box of them:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

whelan1 wrote: »
    stupidly i bought the box set of ice road truckers for my husband last christmas .... think there was 8 dvds in it. thought they would never be over , felt like misplacing the box of them:mad:

well i dunno about watching the boxset now either but if i find it on i watch it..seems like the same old ding dong every season, near disasters etc but somehow they survive ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

reilig wrote: »
    Just a reply of curiosity :D

If you lived around me you'd be described as a man who loved hardship :D:D

How many acres do you have? Would you never consider getting in a track machine. My local guy charges €400 per day for a 13 ton. He can break down hedges and clean up to 1000m any day - he's nifty and leaves a great finish.

Would it be worth your while getting someone like that or do you really enjoy the drag and spade ??? :D:D:D

Money, Reilig, money, or lack of it :D

I'd be delighted to get a small machine in, know just the fella to do the job and all, but then I'd have to sacrifice the new fence I want to put up to better manage the grass. Or something else important :)

I've about 18.5 acres in that spot. Any work I can do myself, that's how it gets done. Do a bit every day and things don't be long shaping up. And as for loving hardship, that's the ould fellas hobby, not mine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Just a reply of curiosity :D

If you lived around me you'd be described as a man who loved hardship :D:D

How many acres do you have? Would you never consider getting in a track machine. My local guy charges €400 per day for a 13 ton. He can break down hedges and clean up to 1000m any day - he's nifty and leaves a great finish.

Would it be worth your while getting someone like that or do you really enjoy the drag and spade ??? :D:D:D

Our oul lad used to send us out years ago cutting the tops of thistles over the summer holidays............ with spades!!:D:D Now that was painful! I loved picking stones after that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

At the mart the last day, getting hay. And while I'm gone for the trailer the ould lad is getting the spiel from a galvanised sheep race salesman. Two guillotine gates, two panel sides on each side, sheeted.... €750 :eek:

And he was seriously thinking about it...

Christ on a bike. He's I've got a lot of work to do on his land cleaning it up, with old age, arthritis etc it's gone back a bit. I think I've finally succeeded into drilling some machinery sense into him. As in, it'd be fúcking sensible to get some... :pac:

Add to that, I'd build him 4-5 of those same size runs for that same €750, and as the farm is isolated and fragmented over difficult exposed ground, does it make sense to be carrying those sheeted sections on yer back in a gale? I think not!

I'll drag him kicking and screaming into the 20th century yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Our oul lad used to send us out years ago cutting the tops of thistles over the summer holidays............ with spades!!:D:D Now that was painful! I loved picking stones after that!

We used to be sent out with the tractor and transport box to the swarts of grass in the cut meadows to pick the docks and thistles out of them so that they wouldn't end up in the bales. The worst job was feeding the dairy cows on the side of the road. We live on a by road which had wide verges. The cows would get a couple of days a month eating on it. We had 2 cattle dogs. 1 would sit at each end and make sure the cows didn't run off but 1 of us always had to be there to direct cars through the 30 or so cows. It was the most boring job ever.

just in from scanning did 65 , 5 not in calf ... very happy..... bloody frozen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

just in from scanning did 65 , 5 not in calf ... very happy..... bloody frozen though

Good results, what do you put in down to? Heattime?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We used to be sent out with the tractor and transport box to the swarts of grass in the cut meadows to pick the docks and thistles out of them so that they wouldn't end up in the bales.

Yes did that too :o We used the trailer with box though. One year, we'd meadow with nearly a trailer load an acre:eek: Dumped them down the bog.

We made alot of hay those times. I reckon a combination of late cutting date (docks would be red and well headed out) and the haybob scattering the ones we missed made a right job of things:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Good results, what do you put in down to? Heattime?
    we scanned 12 sucklers all in calf. 18 heifers all in calf to bull, 35 cows mixture of ai and bull 5 not in calf..... some of these 5 are serial repeaters so their time is up i am afraid... so heat time was only being used on the cows

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

Just after landng home with a pbr limmo heifer i bought private last week,very happy with myself now sitting down drinking a cup of tea before i go do my evening checks..

picked the cows out with the heat time this morning for scanning... was washing down the parlour when i noticed they where gone:eek: saw the last one heading down the lane at the front of house:eek: ran down after them , only to see them all heading back up the lane:D this evening the heat time picked a load of them out as they had high activity !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

picked the cows out with the heat time this morning for scanning... was washing down the parlour when i noticed they where gone:eek: saw the last one heading down the lane at the front of house:eek: ran down after them , only to see them all heading back up the lane:D this evening the heat time picked a load of them out as they had high activity !

was it all the cows that got away and had high activity-are you using auto drafting?

it had picked out 35 .... around 15 of them went down the lane and the rest went out in to a field- they haven't been out yet this year , so it was high jinx for a few minutes , was waiting for some of the neighbours to say they had been in their garden .Thankfully havent had any call down yet:rolleyes: ye you just put the numbers in you want to draft out and hey presto they get picked out

it had picked out 35 .... around 15 of them went down the lane and the rest went out in to a field- they haven't been out yet this year , so it was high jinx for a few minutes , was waiting for some of the neighbours to say they had been in their garden .Thankfully havent had any call down yet:rolleyes: ye you just put the numbers in you want to draft out and hey presto they get picked out

did K.L sell you the gate with heat-time

ye , i was one of the first to get it in:D

ye , i was one of the first to get it in:D

honest reply please-was it worth the money?

we serve over 150 animals each year(sometimes twice,sometimes trice etc). three of us watching the stock daily and we dont seem to miss any heats-also the parlour tells us if the cow has depressed yeild over the microphone so we tail paint any of these. what are your honest thoughts

well i dont have a high spec milking parlour and i dont have the time to watch the cows all the time , so i think it is brilliant , some cows heats are very short , so its great for that.... for me its as good as having an extra person here-that is capable of the job:)- it picks out the ones that have low activity, your parlour can do that, so you probably dont need it... i wouldn't be with out it now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

We used to be sent out with the tractor and transport box to the swarts of grass in the cut meadows to pick the docks and thistles out of them so that they wouldn't end up in the bales.

Yes that sounds very familiar indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Had one of those last year for the first time in years. Called the vet, he tubed him like you would feeding a calf..

I asked about using a needle and he said no need and it added the risk of peritinitous (not sure of the spelling!) or other infection..plus once the tube is in you can does the calf easily as well.

Took two goes to get him sorted but he was grand.
    had a calf with bloat this morning.. put a big needle in its side , god the smell was yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Heading to work this morning and as I was passing my eye caught a fourteen month old supposedly weaned heifer sucking a newly calfed cow; the feckin B***h...

She has been off her own cow for months and months at this stage and still want to suck.

Had one two years ago,, In a pen,. not near a cow for nearly six months during the bad winter.. Sold him to a neighbour and ran straight out of the field and start to suck a cow.

Figerty wrote: »
    Had one of those last year for the first time in years. Called the vet, he tubed him like you would feeding a calf..

I asked about using a needle and he said no need and it added the risk of peritinitous (not sure of the spelling!) or other infection..plus once the tube is in you can does the calf easily as well.

Took two goes to get him sorted but he was grand.
    i tried putting a tube down her nose , also at this stage i was desperate , put a flutter valve needle in her side and she went down... she was dead the next morning

off on my holidays tomorrow - for 4 nights , its 18 degrees in spain at the minute, happy days

Was driving back to my office from a meeting a while ago and the car in front of me breaked suddenly - nearly ran up his arse. The poor fooker was after hitting a chaorlais suck calf that had ran across the road in front of her. Calf had just been let out with the cow and he took a run, jumped across a ditch and bang. Calf stone dead and about €2k in damage to a 2011 Citroen C5. Not pretty!!

Was driving back to my office from a meeting a while ago and the car in front of me breaked suddenly - nearly ran up his arse. The poor fooker was after hitting a chaorlais suck calf that had ran across the road in front of her. Calf had just been let out with the cow and he took a run, jumped across a ditch and bang. Calf stone dead and about €2k in damage to a 2011 Citroen C5. Not pretty!!
    :eek::eek: holy ****

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

off on my holidays tomorrow - for 4 nights , its 18 degrees in spain at the minute, happy days

Have fun, God knows you've earned it this winter:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

enjoy the hols-dont ruin it by ringing home
    everyone deserves a break:)

Well that was a first. Had a guy to look at my bull tonight who told me that my bull was too good of quality for him. Would you not buy the best quality that you could if you were buying a bull??? He knew the price before he came and he didn't even try to bargain with me. You just can't win, can you??? He said that he wanted something with less muscle and shorter - the two things that I would like to see in a bull.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Well that was a first. Had a guy to look at my bull tonight who told me that my bull was too good of quality for him. Would you not buy the best quality that you could if you were buying a bull??? He knew the price before he came and he didn't even try to bargain with me. You just can't win, can you??? He said that he wanted something with less muscle and shorter - the two things that I would like to see in a bull.

Bull is half the herd, so get the best you can.
    But you know there is still a few lads who know in their heart, they will not be around at calving time. Maybe in the circumstances, going easy on the muscle is not such a bad idea. The bit of length, shouldn't get in the way though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement