Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chit Chat

Options
  • 12-02-2011 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

thought i might start this about daily goings on. last night went to check kids during the night as they are all sick:eek: anyways there was a cow out having a stroll in the yard:rolleyes: lucky enough as the road isnt far away
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Went to the mart this morning for plastic barrels, the craic, and hay.... Got the hay at least :pac:

Never saw as many dirty lambs there :(

Headed back to farm for a hot date with the brush cutter. Atlantic didn't look like it was going to keep the rain to itself long so thought I'd open an old drain behind the shed instead. Got ten yards done with spade & drag before it came down :rolleyes:

Have spent the evening happily researching various methods of weed removal, furze, rushes, creeping & spear thistle, and yellow flag iris. Also follow up plans.

Now looking at surface seeding/overseeding material.

In short, I got SFA done today :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Got up this morning drys mixed with milkers, broke down gate which stopped scrapper so beds and passages were dirty, I feed milkers every second day and of course the drys had that all eaten so extra mix this morning. Luckily they came out easy, they knew their job.Rooneys goal made it a great day:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

thought i had enough dairy nuts for a week , but turns out the nuts where stuck on the view hole and the bin is empty:eek: only at the weekend would it happen:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I went to the bull sales in Carrick on Shannon today. A lot of Chaorlais there, only 7 or 8 Limousin's' Chaorlais have good prices, the Limmo's were poor, although the selection was poor too. Going to try my bull on Donedeal. I'm not looking for a mint for him, but one bull in Carrick today was unsold at EUR800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

reilig wrote: »
    I went to the bull sales in Carrick on Shannon today. A lot of Chaorlais there, only 7 or 8 Limousin's' Chaorlais have good prices, the Limmo's were poor, although the selection was poor too. Going to try my bull on Donedeal. I'm not looking for a mint for him, but one bull in Carrick today was unsold at EUR800

Why the poor demand for Limmo, poor quality or wrong time of year. Remember to say your bull is Show quality when advertising on Donedeal, all the livestock there are either show quality or british frisian :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Moved some bales of straw from shed near the house to shed away from house to make room for my new toy... aerlite 8' cattle box:)

While I'd the grab off I chain harrowed 15 acres, admired 2 swans swimming along the other 15 acres that's flooded

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Got up this morning.. Every one of the cows in a 6 bay single shed had went for a little 2 mile walk :rolleyes: Funny thing was,There wasnt a single gate opened,And we checked the cameras..So noone was in the yard acting the bollix :D Then went to the FTMTA show till six,followed by 3 hours of study :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Is this you Reilig?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/livestock/1891984

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

had the weanlings cleaning out a paddock atfer the cow, while moving them back to the kale this evening, noticed the usual 5/6 red kites over head. could see more off in the distance, with in 5 min there were 20, at best count, directly over head, close enough to see the tag colours on their wings. some sight to see that many gliding on the wind.

9 calves and counting so far today, really looking forward to feeding them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

locky76 wrote: »
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Seamus/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Is this you Reilig?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/livestock/1891984

Now that is one nice shapely bull. he is 19mths old though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

calved a cow after coming home after a few pints in the pub at 2am, slept it out abit then this morning.. cleaned calving pen, got dairy nuts and meal in merchants, treated a useless cull cow who managed to get herself mastitis(wouldnt give milk when I wanted her too). Then to top it all off forgot to change over the milk line, milked an antibiotic cow into the tank so tank contents had to be dumped :mad: never happened me before....feck feck feck...but heifer to bull count is running at 80%heifer and 20%bulls :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Muckit wrote: »
    Now that is one nice shapely bull. he is 19mths old though

Nice looking bull. I'm sure I could find €800 somewhere to buy him:D

this is not the time to be selling/ buying bulls ... the cows would be calving in november / december ... we always have a load of customers in april... this is in between seasons... although that being said had a guy ring yesterday looking for a bull... i passed him on to wiggy:D

locky76 wrote: »

No. I haven't put him up yet.
    Mine is only 14 months old. How much would you need to be getting for a bull like that - after feeding him for 19 months??

Was talking to a guy today who sold a chaorlais bull for EUR2000. 18 months old. He reconed he had eaten EUR1400 worth of meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    this is not the time to be selling/ buying bulls ... the cows would be calving in november / december

I see what your saying BUT.....
    These young bulls that are sold at many of the society sales are waaaaaaaaaaay to well done.
    If you bought one and left him off with cows he might just melt!
    So you're better off buying him early, and gradually bringing him down, and hardening him up a bit. Then introducing him to the girls slowly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Was talking to a guy today who sold a chaorlais bull for EUR2000. 18 months old. He reconed he had eaten EUR1400 worth of meal.
    That's just not possible!
    You should stick him up on DoneDeal. We sold 2 bulls on it in the last week!
    Dont put up a price up on the ad! Let them ring you if there interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

Got up, auld lad had gone on milking so i feed up/scraped/bedded/feed calves, the general day to day stuff. Had a lovely little holstein heifer :D. Went checkin how few fields of wheat are, then went to see the uncle putting stored feed barley through the combine to clean it futher but decided it just didnt look clean enough, (few pink grains), had intended to use as seed but loaded it up and carted to the mill. Then watched the rugby/milked/rugby.

Bizzum wrote: »
    I see what your saying BUT.....
    These young bulls that are sold at many of the society sales are waaaaaaaaaaay to well done.
    If you bought one and left him off with cows he might just melt!
    So you're better off buying him early, and gradually bringing him down, and hardening him up a bit. Then introducing him to the girls slowly.
    i assume the farmers are buying the bull to work , we have learnt over the years only to sell from the yard , not at sales - we have repeat customers from 20 years ago- i Hate the type of bulls in the sales , reminds me of a kids beauty pagent , there is no need for it at all. The bulls are not in their working clothes and have been mollycoddled way too much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭stanflt

didnt get finished in the yard last night till 8.30.- supposed to be my evening off- was just finished playing football ready to go for a few pints with the lads when the phone rang- computer in the dairy wouldnt work-so it didnt register the cows coming into the parlour and it wasnt feeding them- had to rush home- computer fried- had to set parlour up to manual milking and feed cows individually which was so time consuming. as if this wasnt bad enough their was 15 new calves born in the last 48hours and they take forever to drink- had to put 6new calves in hutches and then clean out the calving pen cause two more heifers were ready to calve last night. was to tired to go for pints as i was up till four the previous morning- had dinner- OH not happy dinner ready since 7 and i had to go 2 bed at 9.00

both heifers calved last night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sold the heifer weanlings off the kale yesterday in carnew mart and was very happy compaired to the bulls the week before,got home at 5 and had 2 cows calveing and 2bulls an hour later so happy days, in to town for the chinese take-away and home.oh had the bottle of wine open and watched both rugby matches from earlier.

• Advertisement

sold 4 calves this morning , thats my holiday money sorted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Late start today, finally got some decent sleep last night!

Done a bit more draining, removing the roots of rushes from an old drain ain't what I call fun.

Dodged a heavy shower, then headed up the land with the brush cutter and gleefully murdered some more rushes. Then prolonged showers stopped play.

had a calf with bloat this morning.. put a big needle in its side , god the smell was yuck

Just a reply of curiosity :D

If you lived around me you'd be described as a man who loved hardship :D:D

How many acres do you have? Would you never consider getting in a track machine. My local guy charges €400 per day for a 13 ton. He can break down hedges and clean up to 1000m any day - he's nifty and leaves a great finish.

Would it be worth your while getting someone like that or do you really enjoy the drag and spade ??? :D:D:D
    johngalway wrote: »
    Late start today, finally got some decent sleep last night!

Done a bit more draining, removing the roots of rushes from an old drain ain't what I call fun.

Dodged a heavy shower, then headed up the land with the brush cutter and gleefully murdered some more rushes. Then prolonged showers stopped play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Just a reply of curiosity :D

If you lived around me you'd be described as a man who loved hardship :D:D

How many acres do you have? Would you never consider getting in a track machine. My local guy charges €400 per day for a 13 ton. He can break down hedges and clean up to 1000m any day - he's nifty and leaves a great finish.

Would it be worth your while getting someone like that or do you really enjoy the drag and spade ??? :D:D:D

i see alot of the digger men down my way now have kinda saw heads or mulchers for the diggers, on my way home from work I go right thru Burren, very stony landscape with heaps of brush hazel etc, anyway in a few spots the owers have had these lads in with the digger/mulcher head and whole fields that have never previously been visable suddenly appear, its amazing the difference in the landscape from passing in the morning to coming back in the evening..i think the owner have to get permission to clear these types of area before anyone gets exited

i see alot of the digger men down my way now have kinda saw heads or mulchers for the diggers, on my way home from work I go right thru Burren, very stony landscape with heaps of brush hazel etc, anyway in a few spots the owers have had these lads in with the digger/mulcher head and whole fields that have never previously been visable suddenly appear, its amazing the difference in the landscape from passing in the morning to coming back in the evening..i think the owner have to get permission to clear these types of area before anyone gets exited

A contractor for Irish Rail has a mulcher on a 20 ton duck, I see it working on the line close to home. Its some job to clear bushes and trees up to 8 inches in diameter. They look like a great job.

A contractor for Irish Rail has a mulcher on a 20 ton duck, I see it working on the line close to home. Its some job to clear bushes and trees up to 8 inches in diameter. They look like a great job.

ya seems to be a serious tool alright, an animal would hardly push their way thru some of the places im on about its so overgrown but this yoke makes a great job of it

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

ya seems to be a serious tool alright, an animal would hardly push their way thru some of the places im on about its so overgrown but this yoke makes a great job of it

Yer watching too much of that Swamp Loggers on the Discovery channel lads!! :p

dryan wrote: »
    Yer watching too much of that Swamp Loggers on the Discovery channel lads!! :p

feck..forgot about ice road truckers last friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Had a heifer calve down on Saturday - threw a heifer calf :) - took the calf away yesterday. The dam spent the night bawling her head off. They're both doing fine but it's a terrible sound. It's just as well they forget.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement