Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempest 2 - Super Street Fighter 4 - NewPort Cafe Bar, Paul St, Cork - 26/03/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Good games lads. Little disappointed with my own performance but it's good tournament experience, and a learning experience :)

Thanks again Sairus for an excellent event - very smooth and nice venue!

I can say that you played well, very well in our match but I kept an eye on your meter and anticipated a raging demon at all times ( hence why I never did a fireball store when I knocked you down and your ultra meter was flashing. ) I was just lucky I wasn't going for a grab when you activated the raging demon at the end of the match, which I was able to safely jump over and land a c.mk to win.

Still, the match was unbelievably close and to put it into perspective, if that raging demon landed, I wouldn't have gotten out of groups!

Truth but told I should have dashed under your air fireballs more, something which I only got confident enough to do in the last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

GG all, i had t gr8 time in cork. nice to see some old faces and new ones. and now the training begins to take revenge on Sai. till next month.

also cant wait till the vids are up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

After many many setbacks and issues with file converting/uploading, the matches are starting to trickle onto my Youtube account. http://www.youtube.com/user/SairusIllumina

Unfortunately I lost my camera at the last 2v2 in Dublin and had to borrow my housemate's for today - which despite being an awesome camera does not have a zoom function and is horribly ill equipped to record from a screen in a dark room. Thus the video quality is extremely poor in places despite doing as much tinkering as I could in VirtualDub, I even had to just scrap some recorded matches as they were unwatchable. Thankfully all of the important matches were salvaged for the most part - namely all the finals and - possibly most importantly - Misty's rematch against Seanalot :pac:

Here's the grand final. I'll update this thread in the morning with the rest of the videos when they're all finally uploaded.

EDIT: Removed the final from my channel. The darker version will be up momentarilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

Sairus if you darken the videos they will become more watchable.

VizardAnto wrote: »
    Sairus if you darken the videos they will become more watchable.
    Those ones are the result of me darkening them and messing with the contrast as bit. (You can imagine how bad they were before darkening :/ ) I felt that any further darkening made them look worse, but that might just be from me staring at them for too long.
    I'll do another batch of them here darker and reupload em. I'm not doing much else here anyways! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

GGs to everyone and thanks to sairus for running it.
    Can't wait til nexth month and hope to see ye all there again.

Sairus wrote: »
    Those ones are the result of me darkening them and messing with the contrast as bit. (You can imagine how bad they were before darkening :/ ) I felt that any further darkening made them look worse, but that might just be from me staring at them for too long.
    I'll do another batch of them here darker and reupload em. I'm not doing much else here anyways! XD

well I'm not sure because there just hella bright for me :( and if you darken them they might be watchable...Maybe we can set up a laptop with a capture device next time.I told WasterEX and he said he will test out one of the videos to see if he can improve it.No Promises :P
    mackg wrote: »
    GGs to everyone and thanks to sairus for running it.
    Can't wait til nexth month and hope to see ye all there again.

Are you the fei long player from bishopstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

yeah i am

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

well I'm not sure because there just hella bright for me :( and if you darken them they might be watchable...Maybe we can set up a laptop with a capture device next time.I told WasterEX and he said he will test out one of the videos to see if he can improve it.No Promises :P

Hey man, you're the Adon that perfected me (Deejay) RIGHT as my gf walked into the room. The embarassment. You are so on my revenge list :p

well I'm not sure because there just hella bright for me :( and if you darken them they might be watchable...Maybe we can set up a laptop with a capture device next time.

I bow to your superior video knowledge - the videos are indeed more watchable when darkened :pac:
    Still terribly poor quality, but at least you wont go blind after 3 or 4 matches!

And indeed, hopefully we'll get direct recording done next time. Unfortunately, it's not possible to move my laptop from this position on my desk now due to a very dodgy power supply so I cant bring mine along :/
    At the very least I'm expecting to have a new camera next time - hopefully one with a video in jack so I can record directly with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hey man, you're the Adon that perfected me (Deejay) RIGHT as my gf walked into the room. The embarassment. You are so on my revenge list :p
    Another Adon?
    PERFECTING a Deejay??

VizardAnto: you are now my sensei.
    I've added some comments to your match vs Shokashi on youTube.

Some more matches:
    Winners Final

Losers Final

Misty v Seanalot

EDIT:
    My personal highlight from the tourney was the exchange between myself and Silver Steeez's Bison at 2:19 in the following video. I love the rising "Oh. Oh! Ohhhh! Ohhhhhhhh!"

Hey, I was surprised and I was there when you said to your gf you didn't know the adon match up :p. I want to see what happen I forgot hope sairus uploads it.
    I bow to your superior video knowledge - the videos are indeed more watchable when darkened :pac:
    Still terribly poor quality, but at least you wont go blind after 3 or 4 matches!

Ya my eyes hurt just from watching one match,good to see that you fixed it more.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Another Adon?
    PERFECTING a Deejay??

VizardAnto: you are now my sensei.
    I've added some comments to your match vs Shokashi on youTube.

Thanks for the tips because I only started using adon last monday randomly when I was at WasterEx's house and decided to mess around with him.

I did a brief writeup for the event: http://streetfighter.ie/index.php/2011/03/28/tempest-2-super-street-fighter-4-tournament-cork/

Nothing fancy, but sure why not?

There are still two matches left to upload, but my net connection has gone to **** and they're taking their sweet time getting onto youtube. They'll be up tnight at some point.

Just to let you know if any of you guys next time can bring a laptop down,WasterEX and I have easycap devices there cheap & a pain to set up but once done there good enough I guess...Here a Test recorded and edited with Vdub. The white backing is weird in 360p looks fine in 720p even tho its not recorded in 720p .Check it out link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKS5VEfu8U

Hey, I was surprised and I was there when you said to your gf you didn't know the adon match up :p. I want to see what happen I forgot hope sairus uploads it.

What happened? Quick recap...you hammered me :p Adons speed just scares me in general and theres that horrible moment when you block a jaguar kick/tooth when you don't know whether to block or throw.

Best thing about tournaments is that they force you to improve. Our Ryu / Deejay matches were even enough though :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

horrible moment when you don't know whether to block or throw.

Doom, he say, try to learn to late cr os tech, as it is both blocking AND teching. *nods*

Just to let you know if any of you guys next time can bring a laptop down,WasterEX and I have easycap devices there cheap & a pain to set up but once done there good enough I guess...Here a Test recorded and edited with Vdub. The white backing is weird in 360p looks fine in 720p even tho its not recorded in 720p .Check it out link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnKS5VEfu8U

I said it to Waster earlier but if you want to go down that route one of you should really get a powered splitter for the easycap. When there's money on the line, you can't trust the unpowered ones (there's a chance they will cause lag). A powered one will not only keep lag to it's absolute minimum but also ensure maximum quality from the signal to both ends.

Doom, he say, try to learn to late cr os tech, as it is both blocking AND teching. *nods*

Yep I do need to learn this...badly. Everytime I try, I seem to mess it up and take rediculous damage.

If you want some advice on that I would say test it during local casuals only. Being honest I have as much success mashing tech online as I with with late techs, and it messes up my timing when it comes to offline then :(

What happened? Quick recap...you hammered me :p Adons speed just scares me in general and theres that horrible moment when you block a jaguar kick/tooth when you don't know whether to block or throw.

Best thing about tournaments is that they force you to improve. Our Ryu / Deejay matches were even enough though :)
    Jaguar Tooth is -4/-2/-1/-1 on block.
    Jaguar Kick is -3/-1/-1/-2 on block.

So you'll be at advantage if both players start mashing moves right after, but you can't throw punish.

Though speaking frankly, you should always be AAing a Jaguar Tooth (which frankly is so rubbish, I'll maybe use it once in 10 matches for the surprise factor).

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Though speaking frankly, you should always be AAing a Jaguar Tooth (which frankly is so rubbish, I'll maybe use it once in 10 matches for the surprise factor).

Indeed. You can see in my matches that I just start using cr.hp every time Adon wall dives. (I know Rose's cr.hp is godlike, but I assume DeeJay has some equivialnt Anti-Air) That move is risky as hell, especially when it gets used too much.
    I want to see what happen I forgot hope sairus uploads it.

Indeed. You can see in my matches that I just start using cr.hp every time Adon wall dives. (I know Rose's cr.hp is godlike, but I assume DeeJay has some equivialnt Anti-Air) That move is risky as hell, especially when it gets used too much.

yeah I just have to be more patient with Adon like Y was with Ryu. On second viewing, was pretty happy with my overall play in the 3 games. Missed a few upkicks which was annoying but my overall play wasn't too bad.

Hmm... couple more Adon pointers then:
    • I'll see if I can get Hound to confirm, but Adon's safejump (f+Throw, dash, j.HK) might not work on Deejay (or maybe not against DJ with EX).
    • Crossup MK, cr.LP should ideally be followed with a true combo (e.g. Xup MK, cr.LK/LP, cr.LP, LK RJ) -- going for throw is risky as DJ might do a special move & beat it out.
    • Due to DJ being so strong against crossups, I'd go for the highest damage follow-up after a crumple: close HP -> HK RJ instead of back-throw.
      Note that this combo whiffs on certain opponents (e.g. Chun), so you'll need to sub a different normal instead of cl.HP (maybe cl.MK/cr.MK).
    • If EX JT hits a jumping opponent, you can get free damage with LK RJ (or maybe dash, st.HK). Ultra 2 works sometimes (always in corners).

Ya hes really fast :pac: but wait until AE comes out and he'll be slower but buffed :) but not sure if I want to stick with adon...wasn't a character I intended to use, did it for the hell of it.The Ryu match was my bad just jumping all day everyday because I wasn't afraid of Deejays AA but next time I will do less jumping :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Silver Steeez

yeah great tournament nice 1 for hosting sairus and good games everyone i played and there was a few people i never got to play who im sure ill get to play next tourney ,gotta get my practice boots on .Me and the Gouke will be regular attendees from now on id say and we both live in the city so maybe some casuals aswell some time .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tossi

I'm from waterford but be in cork alot. Just wondering if a PS3 arcade stick works on an xbox as I presume they're both usb. I know the ps3 pretty much works with any auld controller with a usb, wondering if xbox is the same

Sadly it probably wont. What kind of stick is it? Even if you cant use yours there's plenty of sticks at the event that you'll probably be able to borrow if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Tossi wrote: »
    I'm from waterford but be in cork alot. Just wondering if a PS3 arcade stick works on an xbox as I presume they're both usb. I know the ps3 pretty much works with any auld controller with a usb, wondering if xbox is the same

Nah, Microsoft has it set up so you have to use officially licenced stuff with the 360, so you'd have to dual mod it if you wanted it to work on PS3. As Sairus said though you shouldn't be lacking for sticks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tossi

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Nah, Microsoft has it set up so you have to use officially licenced stuff with the 360, so you'd have to dual mod it if you wanted it to work on PS3. As Sairus said though you shouldn't be lacking for sticks anyway.

Ah right. I had actually just found this out and I just realised I should posted on the tempest 3 post really!

Anyways I need a new stick TBH as my one is starting to just not feel as good as it used to. I see that q4raf stick is a dual one so I may have to make a purchase as I do want a more high end stick

Only getting back into SSF4 after about an 8 month break so I might hold off on a tourny but I might pop in for a look if I'm around