Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before you marry the daughter, look at the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Well there you are, Ladies, bring a picture of mum out with ye..:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

RichieC wrote: »
    Well there you are, Ladies, bring a picture of mum out with ye..:rolleyes:

Oh absolutely, whilst menfolk, bring out your bank statements! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've heard this a few times recently. (Oh what a sheltered life I've lived until now. :) )

Do men really go by this? It's a bit daft, considering women receive traits from both parents, and sometimes take after their father, or even other rellies more. Plus, you and yer mamma are different people with different personalities which makes a difference. :D

If this is true, and my fiance is going to be like her mother im going to kill her.

brb

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

It's pointless really as most women have the cop on to NOT interfere in their son in law's life til AFTER the wedding. So in other words, if future MIL is a sound, kind, generous, uninterfering classy lady now, that means nothing, nothing at all. Give it a year....... Mwahahahahahahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Oh absolutely, whilst menfolk, bring out your bank statements! :P

lmoa at that.

irish mammies <-- quite probably the reason i'm not into men much, if at all. they scare the bejaysus out of me. or the stories do. and ive seen it myself how some of them talk about their son's missus like she was good for nothing but producing grandkids. so i dont aspire to be anyones daughter in law.

if the lads took one look at my mam theyd be ****ting themselves - she takes after my granda. i take after dad, who at 51 still has women throwing themselves at him. so i might be on to a good genetic thing there.
    sadly i DID get dads sisters boob type and not mams. i.e beestings eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Aishae wrote: »
    lmoa at that.

irish mammies <-- quite probably the reason i'm not into men much, if at all. they scare the bejaysus out of me. or the stories do. and ive seen it myself how some of them talk about their son's missus like she was good for nothing but producing grandkids. so i dont aspire to be anyones daughter in law.

if the lads took one look at my mam theyd be ****ting themselves - she takes after my granda. i take after dad, who at 51 still has women throwing themselves at him. so i might be on to a good genetic thing there.
    sadly i DID get dads sisters boob type and not mams. i.e beestings eh!
    Not selling youself very well there love.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Er it's not always true, I look nothing like my mam & we have totally different personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Not selling youself very well there love.

that depends on what yer oul fella looks like though, hes not cousin It! i dont mean masculine looking, i mean the general genetic makeup features produced on his side of the family, the eyes, the eye orbit shape, the height, the nose shape etc. im not sporting a beard or a pair of balls :P

Aishae wrote: »
    i DID get dads sisters boob type and not mams. i.e beestings eh!

Nothing wrong with bee-stings! You'd look fab in most clothing, for a start!

Debthree wrote: »
    It's pointless really as most women have the cop on to NOT interfere in their son in law's life til AFTER the wedding. So in other words, if future MIL is a sound, kind, generous, uninterfering classy lady now, that means nothing, nothing at all. Give it a year....... Mwahahahahahahaha.

Well, I was referring more to looks, that was how I understood the expression. :)

George83 wrote: »
    Er it's not always true, I look nothing like my mam & we have totally different personalities.

Are you male though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Just saw this, hope ta **** the OP's wrong.:eek:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Just saw this, hope ta **** the OP's wrong.:eek:

The thing is, the menfolk here have mostly not disagreed. On the one hand, I welcome their honesty, on the other hand: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭brianthelion

The guy is dancing in the bar with a 55 year old woman,Shes good looking well dressed,When the dance was over she asked again? He said I am not really into older women,she asked how about mother and daughter,would you be into that? and he,s thinking wow shes 55 and looks like this,daughter must be 20-25,Ohye have a go at that,So he throws the drink into her and when the bar closes they head for her home,she opens the door and shouts MOM are you still awake

^^^^ That hurt my head to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I reeealy hope I do not turn into the mammy!! Love her to bits, but wow... just wow.

That said, I've been told I've all my dads personality traits. Dunno if that's just people bein nice (he was very well liked and died when I was 12) or true but Im hopin its the latter :)

My bf is turning into his dad more and more by the day all the same-his das a legend so it's ok but it's very weird to see all the same!