Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Picked up a bunch of stuff in Sephora when I was in Canada a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to try out most of it a bit before posting.

Anastasia Dipbrow is now my new favourite product ever. It is an eyebrow filler that is kind of like a liquid liner but with a much thicker consistency. It lasts all day and doesn't budge. It also comes in a decent range of colours. The blond one was a perfect match for me.
    db_anastasia_dipbrow_pomade_blonde.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1391013916679

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser is a really light gel face wash. It's really refreshing and smells like cucumbers.
    freshsoy1.jpg

I picked up the Sephora Pantone Colour of the Year lipstick set because they looked like really nice neutral colours. I'm in two minds about these, they have a lovely consistency and they are fairly long lasting but they taste bad so I find myself not wanting to wear them which is a shame :(
    scoty4.jpg

I picked up a bottle of Make Up Forever HD foundation. I tried a sample of this before and really liked it, so it had been on my wishlist for a while. I'm kind of disappointed with it tho, it has a chalky texture once it's set that I'm not very fond of. Hopefully it's just because my skin has been quite dry because of the cold weather tho.
    make-up-for-ever-hd-invisible-cover-foundation-profile.jpg

I also picked up a set of Estee Lauder stuff. I've been meaning to try their stuff for a while but have put it off cause of the price. This set was $40 so it was a good opportunity to try a bunch of their stuff without breaking the bank.
    s1658228-main-hero-300.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of any of it. The moisturiser and eye cream are heavily scented. They smell like really strong perfume, not even the usual fresh floral scents you find in skin creams, it's quite off putting. The skin cream does an ok job at moisturising, not blown away by it so it's not worth the price for a full bottle.

The eye cream has glitter in it! Proper glitter! I have no idea why, this seems insane to me and I can't imagine it's good for skin but I could be wrong. After using it a few times I also wasn't blown away by it so won't be rebuying and probably won't even finish it.

The serum is the main one I wanted to try, it gets great reviews. It was also ok, if someone bought me a bottle as a gift I'd be happy with it but I probably wouldn't bother buying it myself given the price.

I haven't tried the face wash yet, but given my reaction to the rest of the set I'm not expecting much.

I also picked up a Cover Girl Clump Crusher mascara because I've heard such good things about it and you can't seem to get it over here but I haven't tried it yet. Waiting till my current mascara is gone so I don't waste it, looking forward to trying it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I came on here just to rave about the Lush Ultrabland cleanser. By far the best cleanser I've ever used! Its a lovely, balmy, creamy texture and very moisturising, while removing all my make up easily. Its also a hot cloth cleanser (my favourite kind) which means less messing about.

This was my 3rd try at a Lush cleanser, I had previously used Herbalism which I found very drying and a horrible consistency. Ultrabland is definitely my favourite Lush product, bar maybe the toothy tabs and the lip scrub.

Its very reasonably priced, gentle on my skin, and very moisturising. I can't recommend it enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Tiddlypeeps - Covergirl and Max Factor have the exact same products, just with different branding. Not sure what the name of the Max Factor version of Clump Crusher is, but I think it's in a purple tube.

I bought one of the Catrice Velvet Matt eyeshadows the other day. What an absolutely beautiful formula. I got the burgundy eyeshadow, and it is such a gorgeous shade and SO pigmented. I had a similar Inglot eyeshadow (before I dropped it and it broke :() and seriously, the Catrice one is just as good. The shadow has more of a satin look in the pan, but it is matt on.

Got a Catrice matt lipstick too in the colour Mattador. It's a bright blue-based red, makes my teeth super white! It's pretty drying though, so I think Ill have to make sure my lips are well moisturised before I wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Found a Flormar shop in Amsterdam and bought some goodies. There's some really pretty stuff in that shop. Plus I got six of the items free and a free rainbow coloured umbrella. Strangest but coolest free gift I've gotten in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

I got the hourglass blush palette for christmas and I adore it..The colours are quite natural looking and they just light up my face in a really lovely way! It's my birthday next week and I've already dropped major hints that I'd like the powder palette too!! The blush is expensive alright but it's well worth it..I'll definitely repurchase when mine finishes!

I have both the ambient lighting palette and the blush palette. Love the first 2 powders in the ambient lighting palette but find the bronze shade to be a bit orange.

Not sure who asked but the blush palette is €69 in space Nk in Dublin. Not sure if the ambient light palette is the same or not. Got mine in sephora for $58.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Anastasia Dipbrow is now my new favourite product ever. It is an eyebrow filler that is kind of like a liquid liner but with a much thicker consistency. It lasts all day and doesn't budge. It also comes in a decent range of colours. The blond one was a perfect match for me.
    [IMG]http://www.beautifulmakeupsearch.com/storage/db_anastasia_dipbrow_pomade_blonde.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION= I also picked up a set of Estee Lauder stuff. I've been meaning to try their stuff for a while but have put it off cause of the price. This set was $40 so it was a good opportunity to try a bunch of their stuff without breaking the bank.[/img]s1658228-main-hero-300..

How do you find the blonde dip brow? I got the taupe but it's a little grey.

Love the Estée Lauder serum, it's very pricy tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Anyone able to recommend a very full coverage cheap-ish foundation? I love MAC and Estee Lauder but I can't afford to wear them every day any more, so I'm looking at cheaper alternatives. If anyone knows of a foundation I could pick up in Boots etc. that would be of a high coverage I'd be very grateful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I use Estée Lauder double wear but I've been going through too much of it too quickly, so picked up Maybelline Super Stay foundation to use for work or casual days. It's not as full coverage as double wear, but it has a nice finish and is very decent for the price (about 12 euro). Might be worth a try?

Got some birthday presents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

nursemar88 wrote: »

Happy birthday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Really impressed with Clinique take the day off cleansing balm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

They look lovely,
    How do you find the urban decay foundation?
    I have tried it yet,
    is it really full coverage (Tattoo cover!!)

Does it last?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭sibby

Just after repurchasing Revlon Colorstay! Used to be my go to foundation but I've recently started wearing foundations without spf on nights out but none of them stay put all night long :/ This stuff doesn't budge at all!

Tasden wrote: »
    Happy birthday :)

Thank you :)
    shakencat wrote: »
    They look lovely,
    How do you find the urban decay foundation?
    I have tried it yet,
    is it really full coverage (Tattoo cover!!)

Does it last?

The Kat Von D foundation? It's amazing. It my all time favourite foundation. I have quite a lot of redness in my face and this covers it all. It's very full coverage. You only need one pump for the whole face. Plus I work 13 to 14 hour shifts, this combined with some powder and Urban Decay setting spray, it does not budge. Doesn't gather or rub off around the nose. Some people find it heavy on the skin. It doesn't bother me but I find it applied best with a damp Beauty Blender.

I got two just because you can't buy it in Ireland! But to be fair my last bottle lasted me about 10 months and that was with nearly everyday use.

The Kat Von D foundation? It's amazing. It my all time favourite foundation. I have quite a lot of redness in my face and this covers it all. It's very full coverage. You only need one pump for the whole face. Plus I work 13 to 14 hour shifts, this combined with some powder and Urban Decay setting spray, it does not budge. Doesn't gather or rub off around the nose. Some people find it heavy on the skin. It doesn't bother me but I find it applied best with a damp Beauty Blender.

I got two just because you can't buy it in Ireland! But to be fair my last bottle lasted me about 10 months and that was with nearly everyday use.

Ill have to look into this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 aisoconnor

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Anyone able to recommend a very full coverage cheap-ish foundation? I love MAC and Estee Lauder but I can't afford to wear them every day any more, so I'm looking at cheaper alternatives. If anyone knows of a foundation I could pick up in Boots etc. that would be of a high coverage I'd be very grateful :)

I've never tried either MAC or Estee Lauder but friends and family wear them, and from what I know of them I think Revlon Colorstay or Rimmel Lasting Finish with the red cap would be the most similar. Revlon about €18 or Rimmel maybe €11ish depending on where you buy it. I think each of these is super full coverage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

What are the shades like? You kniw sometimes the colour shown online is different to real life? Did you buy it online? How much was it?

What are the shades like? You kniw sometimes the colour shown online is different to real life? Did you buy it online? How much was it?

The shades seem to be fairly true to life. I knew my shade because I had originally tested out two different shades, 45 and 46, while I was in the states. As you can see from the picture 45 is very yellow toned and 46 is very pink toned. I use the shade 45. Just as a reference the Bourjois healthy mix shade 51 would be a touch too dark for me. Also they have added even lighter shades that aren't pictured.

I didn't buy it online. I got my sister in law in the states to buy it for me and post it over. It was $34. Also not my picture.

So finally got my eBay brushes that look to be dupes for that Sigma Sigmax set. They seem very soft and densely packed. I'll have to see how well they work and how they wash. But 10 brushes cost just €9 including shipping :)

So finally got my eBay brushes that look to be dupes for that Sigma Sigmax set. They seem very soft and densely packed. I'll have to see how well they work and how they wash. But 10 brushes cost just €9 including shipping :)

Ooh, please let us know how they are after some use! :D I've been on the lookout for some eye brushes so I'd imagine they'd be similar quality. I could always opt for Blank Canvas but to get them even cheaper is always nice. How long did it take for them to arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Anytime I'm near a boots I check out the clearance section and have been lucky with bargains. Today I spotted this for 3 euro. I had never heard of it so I googled it in the shop and it retails for €63:eek: so I bought it even though it says its for "bacterial infections" but it also states it improves skin’s appearance, Reduces skin imperfections, Eliminates toxins and excess sebum and Accelerates skin’s restorative functions which sound good to me! My skin isn't too bad but I get breakouts on my chin and my t-zone would be oily so its a worth a shot to see if it improves that area.

ioma-386d7b89.jpg

i need to get some face masks,
    to buy or make i don't mind..
    has anybody any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nursemar88 those brushes look lovely - let us know how they fair out and would you be able to post a link for where you got them? I don't need any new brushes but they look lovely and pink so for €9 you couldn't pass them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

The shades seem to be fairly true to life. I knew my shade because I had originally tested out two different shades, 45 and 46, while I was in the states. As you can see from the picture 45 is very yellow toned and 46 is very pink toned. I use the shade 45. Just as a reference the Bourjois healthy mix shade 51 would be a touch too dark for me. Also they have added even lighter shades that aren't pictured.

I didn't buy it online. I got my sister in law in the states to buy it for me and post it over. It was $34. Also not my picture.

Thanks for that.

I'm very pale and I know she's into the goth look so I'm eager to see the shade range. My sister suffers from extreme redness in her cheeks (to the point where people think she's unwell) so she'd be interested in the depth of the coverage.
    Must have a look online.
    I wonder do they have it in Sephora.

On a side note, my sister purchased Loreal True Match foundation last week and is very impressed with how it covers her redness.
    I also bought Rimmel wake me up concealer and love it.
    And my sister bought me the Too Faced chocolate bar palette for christmas and it is gorgeous! Lovely colours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I bought a face mask in the body shop today, the one for oily skin, i used it tonight and my skin feels amazing. It has a rough texture so it did a great job of exfoliating my skin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I love the Boots Botanics clay mask, leaves my skin so clean! I actually don't think I've ever tried something I didn't like from Botanics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I love the origins masks - i got a set of three in boots it has the charcoal one, the moisture one and the skin clearing one. Think it was about €30 for the set and they are big tubes.

Also dermalogica multivitamin power recovery mask is brill

I got a Sanctuary mask in a Detox kit, I think you can buy it in a grey tube. It's a thermal mask so it heats up at first, then cools down on your skin. I'm not really into masks so I can't compare it to any others but I definitely enjoyed the sensation :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Went into Boots earlier & they had buy one get one half price on makeup - I couldn't resist a little treat!

L'Oreal Infallible 24HR Matte Foundation

Cos7941_1-Infallible-Pro-Matte-Foundation-Classic-Ivory.jpg

Total impulse buy, hadn't read anything about it and now that I've taken it home it may be a bit too dark (even though it was the lightest shade they had). The lady at the counter said they'd only put them out last week so must be a new launch.

L'Oreal Lumi Magique Concealer

lumi-magique-highlighter-light.jpg

This was a repurchase, used it up a few months ago & was trying the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind but it's too yellow for me. This one though - I love!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Could you PM me the name of the seller you bought these from please? Did shipping take long?

I was doing my make up earlier, and dropped my MAC 217 and it went down behind the skirting board and I can't get it out unless I tear up the tiles and floor :(

I cried a little when it happened. :o I've had that brush for three years. I kept saying I must get another one but never did. I've no choice but to get another one. Luckily my birthday is in two weeks so my mum and boyfriend are being very nice and getting me some new brushes.

Going to get some blank canvas ones I think, along with one of those sets from eBay.

Been loving the Maybelline fluid touch foundation, it sets to a semi-matte finish and lasts for around 6-7 hours without being set with powder, either after applying, or during the day. I would say the shade range runs slightly dark though as I use the shade ivory which is a perfect match for me,. I use warm ivory in No7 foundations for reference.

I'm finally coming to the end of my MAC Prolongwear concealer. I love it, but the colour I got (NW20) was too pale on me, it was almost white on my skin, so I always needed to mix it with my foundation or something to darken it up, I'll repurchase it once I get a proper colour match.

Advertisement