Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone remember back, to when Bono was cool?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

he still is

*waves*

Hi Bono!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

haha nah in fairness tho it seems to be only irish people who hate him,i dont think hes uncool for all the charity ****e he dose,its annoying but the guy is 50 odd now he is hardly going to be mister rebel his whole life,when u2 brake up or when bono dies people will change there tune i think witch is really annoying,im not his biggest fan but his music is great

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Dave Evans always was and is cool. Pity some retarded swampdonkey with sunglasses gave him some idiotic nickname the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Degsy wrote: »
    No he's not..he looks like an anemic version of Doughnut out of Take That or some Shakin Stevens wannabe from the early 80's.

And what about the tool with the hat..? He couldnt look cool if he was dipped in Liquid Nitrogen...then there's the other fool..and of course multimillionaire anti-poverty campaigner,tax dodger and hypocrite Boner himself.

They will all go to thier graves certain in the knowledge that they've never been cool for one second,any of them.

And I suppose you think you're cooler than the lot of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not sure whether you mean 'cool' as in popular among hip indie people or 'cool' as in good.

U2 were cool in the former sense in the early eighties when they were an indie band. They sounded kind of like a less depressing version of Joy Division or The Cure. I was a child back then though so I didn't care about what was cool. I remember they were my friends (seemingly) cool older brothers favourite band.

I didn't pay any attention to them at the time but I've since grown to like their early music. I think New Years Day and The Unforgettable Fire are great songs. The Joshua Tree and the music they made after don't do much for me.

Bono wrote one of my favourite Roy Orbison songs, She's A Mystery To Me. That was cool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Those sunglasses look suspiciously like something Mr Hewson would wear....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

What does that prove? You're still nothing more than a bitter Keyboard Warrior who, I dont know why, seems to detest and verbally abuse anyone who has been successful in life. In fact the only thing shocking about that photo is your age. Honestly from reading through the garbage you post week after week I was sure you'd have been no older than 15 or 16.

bm365 wrote: »
    What does that prove? You're still nothing more than a bitter Keyboard Warrior who, I dont know why, seems to detest and verbally abuse anyone who has been successful in life. In fact the only thing shocking about that photo is your age. Honestly from reading through the garbage you post week after week I was sure you'd have been no older than 15 or 16.

Ah piss off..go and polish Bono's arse for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Bono might be a bit of a tit, but he has made some damn good music...

+1.

I understand why people hate Bono and I understand they might not be everyone's cup of tea. But you can't say U2 never had good music.

This is one of the most beautiful (and creepy, when you consider the lyrics) songs I've ever heard:

And this just kicks ass! :cool: (Even if the movie was kinda shít...)

They're excellent live too. Saw them at Croke Park for the 360 tour. My sister went to see them twice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anyone ever remember Edge having any charisma hair?

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Bono answering phone

"Hello Hello!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Xivilai wrote: »
    Bono answering phone

"Hello Hello!!"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

bm365 and Degsy get personal with each other again and you'll both be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

dory wrote: »
    I slept on the street in 2001 to get a ticket to a U2 concert, along with hundreds others.

So......yea.

thats not cool.... thats sad

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭rokossovsky

I used to pay 50p in to see them in Kevin St. Tech S.U. Every fcukin Tuesday. The only one of them that was kinda cool was Larry. BOBO was always a hand cranker. However, he believed in himself and his band and they made it to the top. So good on them. All the other sh*^te just comes with celebrity status and handlers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

To be honest I'm pretty cool, far cooler than Bono. However if I had the success of Bono I'd probably be a bigger cùnt than he is. In fact the only way to be as successful as they have been is to be complete and utter cùnts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

sagat2 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm pretty cool, far cooler than Bono. However if I had the success of Bono I'd probably be a bigger cùnt than he is. In fact the only way to be as successful as they have been is to be complete and utter cùnts.

John Lennon said that too

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I never remember a time when some over-hyped up ars*hole who wears sunglasses indoors was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

John Lennon said that too

John Lennon also said that it took a lot of money to look as cheap as he did.

Or was that Dolly Parton?

I think I'd better go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,969 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cml387 wrote: »
    John Lennon also said that it took a lot of money to look as cheap as he did.

Or was that Dolly Parton?

I think I'd better go to bed.

That was Dolly who said that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

the greatest trick Bono ever played was convincing the world he was cool.

so he was sort of true to his McPhisto character of that time. but it was his Fly character that was 'cool'

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I still have to laugh at a story from U2s tour last year some time when Bono went into one of his rants about starving Africans and the bit where he says, "Every time I clap my hands an African dies" when some Scot shouted back a him, "Gonna stop doing it then."

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

I still have to laugh at a story from U2s tour last year some time when Bono went into one of his rants about starving Africans and the bit where he says, "Every time I clap my hands an African dies" when some Scot shouted back a him, "Gonna stop doing it then."

Not this one again.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bono.asp

cml387 wrote: »

That article concludes with a nice nod to Boner's hypocrisy and tax-dodging..i like it!

the greatest trick bono ever pulled, was convincing the world he was 5"6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

the greatest trick bono ever pulled, was convincing the world he was 5"6

What trick? He's a giant of a man.

even Ric Ocasik would look built standing on the fringes of that shot

however bono is clearly stacked. E-le-va-tion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭dilbert2

For younger posters... believe it or not, there was actually a time when Bono was cool. Round about the mid eighties...he was the coolest person on the planet, and he could do no wrong.

Ahh he blew it. :(:(

Was Bono ever actually cool? I wasn't aware of this.

Advertisement