Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone remember back, to when Bono was cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

But in fairness, "Bad" is a classic song.

No begrudgers here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 54,991 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mgmt wrote: »
    I hate Bono.

I went to one of his overpriced concerts in Croke Park and the prick stopped the already ****e concert halfway through and went on a smug little rant about Africa and wanted everyone to text 2euro to some bull**** cause.

He rants on about "climate change" and wants climate justice but uses his private jet to fetch his favourite Stetson Hat.

He wants the world to cancel 3rd world debt but yet wont pay his taxes.

But, there are folks who thinks this is cool...:rolleyes:

Bono was never ever cool. He simply bored the tits off people into thinking he was cool. You know, just because someone tries and tries and tries to be cool, doesn't mean they ever will be....

WalshB... feck off... Bono WAS cool, you couldn't get cooler.. granted... only for the years 1986 to 1991 :P

I just hocked up some of my dinner, thanks, it was hard enough to swallow the first time........:D
    :D Not a pleasant image, sorry. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Bono was the man back when it was about the music.

U2 were the greatest band on earth. People began to take the old begrudgery route when success came there way. Typically Irish that isn't it.

Whether people like to believe he has used his fame to do alot of good.

Actually Bono is still the man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

walshb wrote: »
    But, there are folks who thinks this is cool...:rolleyes:

Bono was never ever cool. He simply bored the tits off people into thinking he was cool. You know, just because someone tries and tries and tries to be cool, doesn't mean they ever will be....

You're correct..there are some people in this life who will never become cool no matter what they do or how long they live..Bono is just one of them:

Here's a friend of his..equally uncool.

And another mate of his..will never be cool either.

And yet another of his clique of terminably uncool people.

And one more...

All mates of Bono..will never be cool..its just the way it is and he knows it..thats why he's opted to stop paying taxes and retreat into his mansion untill its time to play another rip-off gig.

He realised far too late that cool people dont go on about africa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Kasabian wrote: »

U2 were the greatest band on earth. People began to take the old begrudgery route when success came there way. Typically Irish that isn't it.

Whether people like to believe he has used his fame to do alot of good.

Actually Bono is still the maneen.

Heh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I sometimes feel like writing a thread on people like you

Saying no whether your believe it or not, is worse than saying nothing.

Anyway youve killed my enthusiasm today - Im off to take Endas position for the evening

dadda fact.

Kasabian wrote: »

Actually Bono is still the man.
    Only in his own head :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Christ, how much can one man be bashed? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 FrDickByrne

It is so easy to dislike Bono. I hate to sound like a total "Kumbaya my Lord" lefty tosser but I could argue the amount of time he has put into saving lives around the world is pretty cool.

Ok ok he doesn't pay tax and his music has become ****e over the year. But I'm fairly sure in the overall scheme of things he has done more for Ireland and music than myself, yourself and every other keyboard warrior in here.

It is so easy to dislike Bono. I hate to sound like a total "Kumbaya my Lord" lefty tosser but I could argue the amount of time he has put into saving lives around the world is pretty cool.

Ok ok he doesn't pay tax and his music has become ****e over the year. But I'm fairly sure in the overall scheme of things he has done more for Ireland and music than myself, yourself and every other keyboard warrior in here.
    Yes, but he's so self satisfied.

Degsy wrote: »
    You're correct..there are some people in this life who will never become cool no matter what they do or how long they live..Bono is just one of them:

Here's a friend of his..equally uncool.

And another mate of his..will never be cool either.

And yet another of his clique of terminably uncool people.

And one more...

All mates of Bono..will never be cool..its just the way it is and he knows it..thats why he's opted to stop paying taxes and retreat into his mansion untill its time to play another rip-off gig.

He realised far too late that cool people dont go on about africa!

Fanning? Perfect example of another tosser; knew he had to be a mate of Boneheads.

Folks, don't ever confuse arrogance and being an out and out poser with someone who is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

he was never ever cool, just used to be tolerable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

They were briefly cool when they discovered irony and brought out Achtung Baby. They haven't really threatened the borders of cool very often since.

correct.
    For younger posters... believe it or not, there was actually a time when Bono was cool. Round about the mid eighties...he was the coolest person on the planet, and he could do no wrong.

Ahh he blew it. :(:(

trust a chick to like the 'new romantic' phase'. it was for one year only, 1990. a very good year for ireland. or three promos back to back to be precise. and a groundbreaking 3yr tour, so i'll include the Batman promo from '94 that signalled the end. but 1990 was when they eventually shunned the practice of appearing like cowboys as the platform for world domination. when they got there, they stopped being cowboys n holed up in a Nazi ballroom and produced these songs. well, eno produced these songs. the subsequent ZooTV tour was a media revolution - but it were all a faux cool that appeared cool. a self parody if you like, gone wrong. intentionally

life was less restrictions/more freedom then. different era when almost anyone could have appeared/sounded cool. even Bono's achtung baby Elvis/Alan Vega/Lou Reed clichés of the time wipe the floor with anything from these sanitized times. i have more pressing pop tarts to troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

But in fairness, "Bad" is a classic song.

No begrudgers here :p

So "Bad", it's good?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

He is one of the biggest rock stars in the world. Sold millions of albums. Charity work. Brought recognition to our small country.

You posted on After Hours. That's it. Created nothing but trite nonsense

I'll go with Bono.

Sticking to purely his music performances, not songs, I fail to see what is remotely cool about his looking like a dog taking a piss (standing on his one leg)when he'd be doing a live show. I mean, compare that to the tru great live performers of the past, and it's not even close to cool...

BTW, some of U2s songs I really really like.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Even when U2 were entertaining and vital (and they were - saw them in the SFX and for a few gigs after) Bono wasn't cool. Two words; 'Cuban heels'. Instant dismissal. Nothing wrong with being uncool all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Xivilai

Their early stuff is pretty decent alright.

walshb wrote: »
    Fanning? Perfect example of another tosser; knew he had to be a mate of Boneheads.

Folks, don't ever confuse arrogance and being an out and out poser with someone who is cool.

I'd have had Gerry Ryan up there too cept he's dead.

Fanning's book is 300 pages long or something and he mentions U2 or Bono in almost every page..and in attempting to sound even cooler he refers to bands with names like "The Roses","The Carpets","The Seagulls","Lizzy" and other bollocks...cringeworthy crap from the completly uncool arsehole.

bigpoppa wrote: »
    He is one of the biggest rock stars in the world. Sold millions of albums. Charity work. Brought recognition to our small country.

And in spite of all that he's still an uncool tosser,a hypocrite,a taxdodger and a sawn-off little bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

Even in the grim 80's,because of Bono (and His Bobness to be fair) we were the paupers of Europe but Ireland was cool.

Now we are the paupers of Europe and we're completely uncool.

If someone points to a single Irish person who has the stature today that Bono has then I'll agree he's not cool.

Overuse of cool in a post as well.Not cool.Ah Jebus

cml387 wrote: »
    If someone points to a single Irish person who has the stature today that Bono has

Okay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

Degsy wrote: »

OK
    If someone points to a single Irish person who has the stature today that Bono has and is not standing on a ladder in a leprechaun suit.

Well?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

life was less restrictions/more freedom then. different era when almost anyone could have appeared/sounded cool.
    1990? Ha, haha, hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahah. Oh jesus. I'm guessing 14, maybe 15? Wear a lot of black? White text on black background for a blog? "1990 ah yes these were halcyon days my son. When pseuds were respected and emos ran free, but we called them cureheads as was the fashion. Ah such free days".

I would agree with your take on the whole acthung baby dealio though. A bit arch and forced for my take(and for yours it seems too). All surface. Damn well engineered surface I grant you. They lost me after The joshua tree. I preferred their steve lillywhite era. More honest and having seen them in the early 80's they were a monster live. You would not want to be any band following them. And I've seen a few of the greats and a few are not so handy live.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

Dont have much time for the man, but in fairness to him hes one excellent song writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Personally conflicted; think that they were still cool for Achtung Baby but definitely Zoo TV tour and Zooropa did or the coolness. Set against that s the fact that they were not at all cool for Rattle and Hum. Maybe even then it was a fleeting thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

U2 should have split up after Achtung Baby. Then, they would have been a great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Nowt to do with the music-i have never been a huge fan of U2-i respect them tho,however Bono was never cool-and that's ok-
    what the f**k is cool anyway?
    and in fairness who give a feck about coolness anyhow??

but Bono-its the hair lads,the cuban heels,the Adam Ant on the cheap look-wrong Paul,wrong