Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone remember back, to when Bono was cool?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭nosey rosie

No, he was cool... and not only cool... but as cool, as f**k. Anyone who says different.... is either lying or too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Thought this was appropriate...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I've always felt sorry for people who go out of their way to bash Bono/U2. I probably don't like 95% of the music I hear on the radio, but I don't feel the need to come on an internet bulletin board to post about how I don't like so-and-so.

With regards his charity work or taxes, without knowing anybody's personal details here, I'd bet my left nut that U2 have contributed a thousand times more to the economy than everyone here put together, and a million times more for the Third World. But don't let that stop you - keep on bitching.

P.S. It's hard to define someone as being cool. It's much easier to define someone who is not cool - they are the people who are trying to define the cool people.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

dotsman wrote: »
    I've always felt sorry for people who go out of their way to bash Bono/U2. I probably don't like 95% of the music I hear on the radio, but I don't feel the need to come on an internet bulletin board to post about how I don't like so-and-so.

With regards his charity work or taxes, without knowing anybody's personal details here, I'd bet my left nut that U2 have contributed a thousand times more to the economy than everyone here put together, and a million times more for the Third World. But don't let that stop you - keep on bitching.

P.S. It's hard to define someone as being cool. It's much easier to define someone who is not cool - they are the people who are trying to define the cool people.

Well said! Totally agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Achtung Baby is a savage album, end of. Do what everyone else does and hate the man all you want. I won't argue.

But they've had some seriously, damn good songs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

Wibbs wrote: »
    1990? Ha, haha, hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahah. Oh jesus. I'm guessing 14, maybe 15? Wear a lot of black? White text on black background for a blog? "1990 ah yes these were halcyon days my son. When pseuds were respected and emos ran free, but we called them cureheads as was the fashion. Ah such free days".

I would agree with your take on the whole acthung baby dealio though. A bit arch and forced for my take(and for yours it seems too). All surface. Damn well engineered surface I grant you. They lost me after The joshua tree. I preferred their steve lillywhite era. More honest and having seen them in the early 80's they were a monster live. You would not want to be any band following them. And I've seen a few of the greats and a few are not so handy live.

yes, yes, yeees oh crikey :/ predictive text i am reading n thats fine wibbs, but i don't think emo existed until a few years ago, n i don't want to hear about unwitting proto-emo either n i doubt those groups appreciate that, but the Cure were to goth what Matallica are to metal as every tragically un-hip joe soap who never even skimmed the surface needs some fool to slander a genre with but when the mass-marketed/manufactured likes of the Script, indeed remanufactured from their out n out chav boyband leanings into some sort of more subtly disguised Maroon 5 n are actually directed to reflect an economic climate/mood and who'll likely drop out very soon when they're financially 'sorted', thats if they're not already dropped before then are our pop-cultural gift to this world we can all afford to look back with bono's faux-cool tinted shades on. also 30 yrs on the Edge is the only protagonist of the old angular post-punk sound drenched in reverb on a tight loop and i don't appreciate that slandered by Bailey neither

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

also 30 yrs on the Edge is the only protagonist of the old angular post-punk sound drenched in reverb on a tight loop
    Tom Verlaine shoulda sued.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

that time he was cryogenically frozen.

why oh why, did they unfreeze him?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭thebigleap

Degsy wrote: »
    I'd have had Gerry Ryan up there too cept he's dead.

Fanning's book is 300 pages long or something and he mentions U2 or Bono in almost every page..and in attempting to sound even cooler he refers to bands with names like "The Roses","The Carpets","The Seagulls","Lizzy" and other bollocks...cringeworthy crap from the completly uncool arsehole.

Fanning recently said in a documentary that 'history would be kinder to Bono...' Like he would know.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Live Aid, where Bono left his band clueless while he went off on his little walkabout. They said they had no idea what to do so just kept playing the same chords over and over until he came back. They were furious afterwards and thought he had blown it for them. Even Bono was depressed for days afterwards. Totally unprofessional and yes....uncool....it could have been a complete PR disaster for the group.

Yes, U2 have brought a lot of positive attention to Ireland over the years, but so has Riverdance, and I'm not sure I'd consider Flatley and company 'cool'.

Phil, Van, Rory, Gary....cool. Bono....no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the only time bono was cool was when he went to the north pole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Bono is considered cool in some parts.

Young Fine Gael practice air guitar "the Enda way" to "Where the Streets Have no Name".

Willie O'Dea looks up to Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Went to the last 360 concert in Croker - amazing experience.

Best concert I've ever went to.

When do you go to your second concert?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dory wrote: »
    I slept on the street in 2001 to get a ticket to a U2 concert, along with hundreds others.

So......yea.

That's just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

dotsman wrote: »

Don't worry. We will. (btw he's still a b****x)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Bono is like Dev

He got old, he should have done a Lynott or a Collins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Bono, the Lead singer for the Band I saw in Slane that time, COOL

Bono, the Tax evadin midget I see on the telly now and again, UNCOOL

context people, context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

No, I cant remember a time when he was cool. Bono is just Bono, that is why he is so Bono...

Bono, the Lead singer for the Band I saw in Slane that time, COOL

Bono, the Tax evadin midget I see on the telly now and again, UNCOOL

context people, context

I met Bowie years ago in a resteraunt and he was eating shepherds pie.

I was probably expecting sushi or something - didnt he have a heart scare a few years back? He is probably thinking today - Gary Moore should have gone to his doctor.

Steve Tyler of aerosmith diets more than any model and looks like an emaciated auld wan . Keith Richards is an old man with dyed hair who did the unsteady old man thing and fell and hurt himself picking fruit.

Bono sued for the return of his underpants.

U2 I dont know - Larry Mullen is the cool one. Clayton the addict.The Edge -he can afford a hair transplant but I imagine they all go for their collestoral tests and prostate exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

I saw him in St. Stephen's green once during the making of some promo or ad, with a little white lamb. Was bono there to make money or was it charity? What did the lamb get out of it? There are too many questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

8241134_bono-morecrap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

U2 are one of my favourite bands, up to and including Pop. After that they really took a nasty turn.

The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are serious albums.

And there was the Miss Fantasia photo episode :rolleyes:

http://www.showbiz.ie/news/november04/30-u2169.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭bullpost

Mostly uncool buy they've been intermittently cool over the years.

Around the time of the first album when they even managed to get Martin Hannett (Joy Division etc.) to produce them for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,002 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stick U2 in an era when muisc was so good, the 60s and 70s for example, with bands like The Beatles, The Clash, Zeppelin, Queen, The Stones and some others, and nobody would know them. Quite ordinary musicians to be honest.And, a lot of their tracks I like. But, musically they weren't all that
    great. A lot of whining and stringing along.

LIVE AID 1985 showed them as so far behind others. Now, I know they were a young band then, but they still had not got that natural flair. They were never natural musicians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Anyone ever remember Edge having any charisma?

The nearest we porobaly got to see The Edge (tm) Charisma was in the video for Numb, or those snippets for Discotheque

Bono did give us McPhisto and does control the stage (and cameras, mofo) yeah he was cool around the Actung Baby era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

albeit wrote: »
    I saw him in St. Stephen's green once during the making of some promo or ad, with a little white lamb. Was bono there to make money or was it charity? What did the lamb get out of it? There are too many questions...

Was that not when he got Freedom of Dublin City. I think there is some law/rule/tradition that those people can raise sheep in the city, something along the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Bono used to drive around in a poxy little green sports car when he lived in Bray picking his nose, the man was never cool and I don’t remember anyone paying much attention to him either. Larry Mullen is coolness personified.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,002 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have listened to Bono and U2 interviewed on several occasions; you couldn't get more bland if you tried. More charisma and personality in a ****ing teabag.

Larry Mullen, cool? Why? Because the way he dresses, or styles his hair?

The Edge? Jesus. Clayton? God, I feel depressed just thinking about them...

Bono? Yeah, he sure talks, but what absolute drivel and waffle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

he still is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Larry Mullen is coolness personified.

No he's not..he looks like an anemic version of Doughnut out of Take That or some Shakin Stevens wannabe from the early 80's.

And what about the tool with the hat..? He couldnt look cool if he was dipped in Liquid Nitrogen...then there's the other fool..and of course multimillionaire anti-poverty campaigner,tax dodger and hypocrite Boner himself.

They will all go to thier graves certain in the knowledge that they've never been cool for one second,any of them.

Advertisement