Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Enda Kenny Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

If anything that's worse. What's €20k when you take €676,745.95 in salary and expenses between 2005 and 2008

Sorry, sorry. I completely agree I just totally thought the opposite of what you were trying to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

passive wrote: »
    Jaysus! The leader of the main opposition party of the dail has one of the highest expenses of all the TDs? Shocking Joe, simply shocking.

And as to your other link: He was telling an anecdote, in which the person he was quoting, in a different context, used a word that is bad. I'm sure you can dig up a thread from boards when that happened you'll find 200 posts of "PC gone mad" and "that's ridiculous, **** off and report some actual news."
    Is there anything you won't apologise for for Enda Kenny?

He claimed more than twice the average industrial wage every year in expenses? ARRA SURE IT'S GRAND HE NEEDED THE MONEY

He told a racist joke to journalists? ARRA SURE HE WAS ONLY TRYING TO BE ENTERTAINING

He murdered some prostitutes and is a cocaine user? ARRA SURE WE ALL NEED TO LET OFF STEAM

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Tragedy wrote: »
    Is there anything you won't apologise for for Enda Kenny?

He claimed more than twice the average industrial wage every year in expenses? ARRA SURE IT'S GRAND HE NEEDED THE MONEY

He told a racist joke to journalists? ARRA SURE HE WAS ONLY TRYING TO BE ENTERTAINING

He murdered some prostitutes and is a cocaine user? ARRA SURE WE ALL NEED TO LET OFF STEAM

Nice.

If you show me a link to him abusing his expenses, or any evidence (or hell, even a weight accusation) that he was spending money frivolously, I'd gladly condemn him for it. It seems very likely that expenses need to be cut down, but since he hasn't been in charge of setting those figures for the last few years, I'm not willing to take a high expense figure as being a reason he shouldn't be in government.

I don't know what kind of expenses are involved in running a party, or what kind of restrictions and guidelines there are on how the money is spent and accounted for. Yes, it's a very big number, in a list of very big numbers. Those numbers should certainly be reduced.

And I'm not gonna bother with the "racist joke" bollocks. There's a lot of creative reading needed to see that backpage made up non-story as some kind of evidence of his Stormfront membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Nice.

When was this reported? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marlamay

He has lost my vote for not having the cop-on to appear with Vincent Brown. Aligninh himself to FFail run RTE and TG4 shows that "a rose by and other name is still a rose". Thats an eloquent way of saying the man is FFail thru and thru. Im disgusted, i know myself and others would have had the respect to vote for him if he hadnt come up with such a pathetic excuse to avoid Irelans only NON CRONEY journalist.

Sad day for irish politics. A 3 way debate on 3 with 2.
    Shame on Enda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

In fact because of his refusal to agree to the debate he has gone up in my expectation. Why should he be bullied by MM into a debate? It is just a decoy from the issue of facing the public in person. I live in a housing estate and have only had the greens convessing. Must initially have thought great a woman, then I sent him with a flea in his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marlamay

He has lost my vote for not having the cop-on to appear with Vincent Brown. Aligninh himself to FFail run RTE and TG4 shows that "a rose by and other name is still a rose". Thats an eloquent way of saying the man is FFail thru and thru. Im disgusted, i know myself and others would have had the respect to vote for him if he hadnt come up with such a pathetic excuse to avoid Irelans only NON CRONEY journalist.

Sad day for irish politics. A 3 way debate on 3 with 2.
    Shame on Enda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I'm concerned FG's intention to end compulsory Irish at leaving cert is going to go against them just as much as Kenny.

I'm in favour of it myself but it is scary how many people are so irrational about it. Despite 90% of them not being able to speak Irish themselves they are die hard about it being compulsory all the way. (even though that policy has done the language no favours the last 100 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Plenty of other leaders have come out and said "I'm not debating".

He could have simply said "I don't believe a leaders debate is constructive, I don't believe tv debating skills is relevant to my candidacy as Taoiseach and I won't be participating".
    Much better than lying.

Well he would be lying if he came out with that, seeing as how he'll in be three upcoming debates (including a 3 way on TG4) in the coming weeks according to RTE.

But then I'm sure this won't please ye either.

I'm concerned FG's intention to end compulsory Irish at leaving cert is going to go against them just as much as Kenny.

I'm in favour of it myself but it is scary how many people are so irrational about it. Despite 90% of them not being able to speak Irish themselves they are die hard about it being compulsory all the way. (even though that policy has done the language no favours the last 100 years)

That is a concern yes. Im a firm believer in the Irish language and believe it should be encouraged. Im a fluent Irish speaker myself. However I feel their arm can be twisted on this matter further down the line if they are elected. I just think there are far more serious matters to be dealt with at the moment than this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

passive wrote: »
    If you show me a link to him abusing his expenses, or any evidence (or hell, even a weight accusation) that he was spending money frivolously, I'd gladly condemn him for it.
    I'm sorry, I need to find evidence to show that claiming on average €70,000 every year for four years is ridiculous and over the top?
    Yes, quite clearly an apologist.

I'm sure a £3,000 limo in London as an expense was desperately needed.
    but since he hasn't been in charge of setting those figures for the last few years
    You do realise he's the one who claims the expenses right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jammyhog

Devil08 wrote: »
    Im interested in hearing from people as to why this man should not become the next Taoiseach of this country. I havnt heard any good reasons so far.

The reasons ive heard so far are outlandish if anything. Some of them include he has no charisma, he has no charm, he is not a good debater, and he is not in touch with modern social media!!! Are these the traits of our next Taoiseach that are really worrying people?

I will be supporting him for some very basic reasons.

1. He will never turn up for an interview still p!ssed out of his mind from the night before
    2. He will not rob this country blind through claiming expenses, taking back handers, and any other ways he can find
    3. He is passionate and has worked very very hard to get this chance .
    4. Fianna Fail have taken nurses off the wards, Gardai off the streets, and Teachers out of schools. Simple requirements needed in any country. They have killed this country's public front line services and the public have suffered. Enda Kenny is the only prospective Taoiseach looking to increase these front line services.

The country will continue to suffer under anybody else.

the man has'nt a clue about economics or anything else for that matter, his own party dont trust him....he will be known as the Hermit Taoiseach, maybe the FG lackies could get Morgan Freeman to do voice overs for him, '' it'll save millons ''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Why is there so much rubbish about this great debate, its all media driven lefty nonsense who cares, why dont they just come out and say why they really don't like Enda its because he's from the west!! At least he woulnt forget about those of us who live outside the big smoke and the commuter belt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I'm not Irish and can't vote either but I think it is important that nation preserves it's culture and language is part of it. There is something wrong with the way Irish is being taught and maybe not used enough in everyday life but that is not the reason to stop trying to preserve your heritage and cultural identity. Otherwise Irish will be in danger of becoming too similar to English. ;)

Anyway I don't like Enda, but I don't think dislike of somebody is good enough reason to ignore policies and programs. It is possible that FG (and Labour) ratings after some time in government will fall. When FG TD's will be scared enough for their own ar**s (as FF TD's were) they could vote Enda out and then party would be more attractive. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

Where o where o where is Enda?
    hello hello are you out there Enda????

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

Sure what did you expect
    Have you forgot that FG sold out to the brits????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Top 10 TD expenses, 2005–2008

Ned O'Keeffe (FF) €304,137.80

Pat Breen (FG) €301,206.72

Michael Lowry (Ind) €299,478.55

Bernard Allen (FG) €298,412.66

Peter Kelly (FF) €291,464.60

Jackie Healy-rae (Ind) €290,662.99

Dinny McGinley (FG) €289,616.80

John Cregan (FF) €288,002.33

Enda Kenny (FG) €285,277.30

Phil Hogan (FG) €280,794.83
    Oh...that does kinda kill the OP's post doesn't it?

Had that been Bertie or Cowen they would have been hung out to dry on this board! :D

Looks like Enda likes to have a few spare bob in his pocket while giving off about the opposition :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Im interested in hearing from people as to why this man should not become the next Taoiseach of this country. I havnt heard any good reasons so far.

The reasons ive heard so far are outlandish if anything. Some of them include he has no charisma, he has no charm, he is not a good debater, and he is not in touch with modern social media!!! Are these the traits of our next Taoiseach that are really worrying people?.

eh, so who wants a leader who can't sepak up for himself, let alone our country!

I will be supporting him for some very basic reasons.

1. He will never turn up for an interview still p!ssed out of his mind from the night before
    are you sure he will bother his arse to even turn up at all. I mean the guy has been in hibernation for the last year, and now he wont even have a debate with the other parties. reason 1 why i wont vote for him is he is chicken... oops, i think someone may have beaten me to that point!!
    2. He will not rob this country blind through claiming expenses, taking back handers, and any other ways he can find
    lets face facts here, all politicians are stereotyped as corrupt, and there is damn good reason for this. they are the same all over the world. look at the expenses scandle in the uk... at least they had the decency to send someone to jail, as for us, as sure we'll just kick him out for a bit and then pay him a few quid in compensation. Callally you are noithin short of the bigest w*&£3r this country has ever seen and you should be ashamed of yourself, as should the f&^%£$s who paid him off

i want to know what kenny or any of the others are going to do about this?
    3. He is passionate and has worked very very hard to get this chance .
    ah so thats what he has been doing while nobody knew where he was
    4. Fianna Fail have taken nurses off the wards, Gardai off the streets, and Teachers out of schools. Simple requirements needed in any country. They have killed this country's public front line services and the public have suffered. Enda Kenny is the only prospective Taoiseach looking to increase these front line services.

The country will continue to suffer under anybody else.

fair nuf, so where is he going to get the cash to fund this
    i bet he wont put proper reasonable salary scale in for the government, might reduce it a bit, but there is none of them who will shoot themselves in the foot and overhaul it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dean21

the world is watching the coward that want to run ireland
    he has all ready made us a joke around the world once again and he is not even in power

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12391302
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/08/enda-kenny-television-debate
    http://article.wn.com/view/2011/01/28/Pressure_mounts_on_Enda_Kenny_over_TV_debate/
    It no wonder that only 3 out of 10 irish people want him to be Taoiseach

A laughing stock again... :(

He is embarrassing us and he isn't even in power :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

I don't have the time right now to go into a big rant about why Dame Enda Average is so incompetent, but really, it should be obvious to most people who don't have FG rose tinted glasses. The man oozes incompetence and is utterly inept on a whole rang of issues, most crucially the economy. His performance on the LLS is just one of endless interviews that exposed his appalling lack of knowledge of his own ideas - he is incapable of thinking on his feet and coming across as intelligent and capable. Even in the Dail when he is reading a speech it's like watching a child read in front of a school assembly. Cringeworthy stuff. We have gone from one incompetent moronic leader with dreadful communication skills and we are now being treated to yet another. The onyl positive thing about Enda is that he at least seems like a honest decent man who won't be corrupt and will put the country first. But what we need now is more than that - we need serious leadership, someone who gives confidence to the people and gets people on side. This carry on about a bloody debate because of his ridiculous behavior has been farcical stuff. The encyclopedia of excuses was an insult to the Irish people. It has made global news already - we don't need another laughable leader being ridiculed FFS. His actions constantly make it obvious why for the past number of years the vast majority of the public have said in polls they have no confidence in the man - and why the majority of his own front bench, the very people of whom he believes are the most talented and capable members of FG, all said they had no confidence in him either. So we will have a leader of the country yet again with the majority of the public having no confidence in and the majority of his own TD's.

And I want to make it perfectly clear I am not FF'er - I despise the bastards for what they have done to this country. I am actually most likely going to vote FG in the election -they have the most credible plan and the most competent team - the main thing putting me off is Enda. Is it too much to ask for to have a leader that doesn't come over as a bloody eejet? He's more like a character from Father Ted then a credible leader of a country.

That did seem to turn into a rant afterall.:rolleyes:

Anyone see his YouTube clip? :D

Its two minutes long and he manages to get one snipe in about the current government and says "5 point plan" and "fundamental plan" twice each! :p

Yip, it only takes 5 points to fix a country. But ssssshhhh they are secret steps! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Funkie

Kenny knows FG are going to be in. He's just trying not wreck everything as he could easily be shown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 boyle betty 1957

Seen this on another thread that was locked.
    It was ten years ago yes but i have not seen ron atkinson since he used a racial slur on sky.
    So why should enda kenny be aloud to run for election.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/******-joke-reveals-ignorance-of-racism-503626.html

Seen this on another thread that was locked.
    It was ten years ago yes but i have not seen ron atkinson since he used a racial slur on sky.
    So why should enda kenny be aloud to run for election.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/******-joke-reveals-ignorance-of-racism-503626.html

Didnt Michael Martin do an interview in an Asian accent last week? This can be seen as racist too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 boyle betty 1957

Didnt Michael Martin do an interview in an Asian accent last week? This can be seen as racist too.

are you joking?did this really happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

are you joking?did this really happen?

Have you been living under a rock? Every-time I turned on the radio last week you had sound bites of Michal Martin doing his Chinese accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Funkie wrote: »
    Kenny knows FG are going to be in. He's just trying not wreck everything as he could easily be shown up.

I was going to vote FG #1 until today. Reading this thread did not help but I think my only option is Independents now. The vast majority of current TDs are money grabber. Will there be a flight of the geese when our rich politicians emigrate from this doomed country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Birroc wrote: »
    I was going to vote FG #1 until today. Reading this thread did not help but I think my only option is Independents now. The vast majority of current TDs are money grabber. Will there be a flight of the geese when our rich politicians emigrate from this doomed country?

Why what happened today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Funkie wrote: »

You mean to be competent? After having Ahern and Biffo things can only get better. Kenny might not be the most charismatic but we can live with that after all the partying by the last 2 incompetents.

Advertisement