Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is fate? Does it exist?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Giselle wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it in the same way as theres nothing wrong with believing in faeries or angels or unicorns, but that still doesn't make it true or reasonable.

Which is more important, to believe in something because its true, or believe in something because its nice?

If it generally has no effect on your actions and you don't expect others to believe the same, then I suppose the latter is harmless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Giselle wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it in the same way as theres nothing wrong with believing in faeries or angels or unicorns, but that still doesn't make it true or reasonable.

Which is more important, to believe in something because its true, or believe in something because its nice?

Fate doesn't nessacirly need to have a religious / mythical overtone to it, as I gather you are pushing here.

One would require as much belief in themeselves to venture into unkown territory as well. I'd consider that to be quite a strong belief in fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Fate doesn't nessacirly need to have a religious / mythical overtone to it, as I gather you are pushing here.

One would require as much belief in themeselves to venture into unkown territory as well. I'd consider that to be quite a strong belief in fate.

I think fate is quite well evidenced to the contrary of its existence. I don't regard it as a mystical concept, just a void one.

I think belief in oneself or following ones chosen path is something else entirely, again, free from mystical input. Its a sense of self, perhaps?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only if the universe is a deterministic system. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't believe in karma etc, but I don't know... sometimes I think it seems like certain things are just "meant to be", that nothing can stop them from happening/not happening.

Coincidences freak me out/intrigue me too. But I don't read too much into them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bozo25

Ladies,
    Has anyone had any incidences of "Fate" be it with a man or a woman? I would love a discussion on this, and to get your opinions. A man from my past keeps coming up, and appearing in my life. Anytime I am not thinking about him/am over him, something about him appears, and he ends up back on my mind again. Its driving me nuts!

Have any of you ladies experienced anything like this, or have an opinion as to why this is happening to me?

If I am in the wrong forum, let me know, or transfer this thread. Thanks
    Yes I do believe in fate & people crossing your path whom you haven't met for ages when you may have been thinking of them just before that. I believe that our future path in life is mapped out for us the day that we are born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

√[-1]

Thank you because I couldnt remember what the sign was.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bozo25 wrote: »
    Yes I do believe in fate & people crossing your path whom you haven't met for ages when you may have been thinking of them just before that. I believe that our future path in life is mapped out for us the day that we are born.

So we have no free will? what if i called in sick to work tomorrow, went to the shop and got hit by a bus? that was my mapped plan?

krudler wrote: »
    So we have no free will? what if i called in sick to work tomorrow, went to the shop and got hit by a bus? that was my mapped plan?

It was your unconcious desire not to go to work at play so you got hit by a bus. I told you to get a new job!:)

It was your unconcious desire not to go to work at play so you got hit by a bus. I told you to get a new job!:)

sure what'd be the point? I'm destined to get hit by a bus :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Thank you because I couldnt remember what the sign was.

When you said "imaginary numbers", I had a Vietnamesque flashback to 5th year maths.:pac:

On topic, no, I don't believe in fate. Nothing happens for a reason...we're all just bouncing round in a pinball universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

This is the problem with fate....it was your fate to take the day off work and go to the shops and get hit by the bus after all fate determines everything before it happens.

I don't believe in fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When you look at the world there is obviously a complete and utter lack of karmic balance. I don't believe in fate at all. There is an old saying that goes something along the lines of, "Never attribute that to fate which can be adequetely explained by coincidence."

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bozo25

Ya you were destined to have an accident that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

About 9 years ago I went to meet a friend at dublin airport. Normally I'd just meet her in town but this time I decided I'd dress up nice and go meet her. I waited for her in the green room bar (no longer there). She turned up and we had a few drinks.... while there i was approached by a good-looking guy. Long story short we dated long distance (ireland/UK) for 2.5 years.

We eventually split but got back together again many years later. Was whirlwind, fabulous.

A month on now I am getting over the heartbreak of being dumped yet again by him (the ultimate commitmentphobe).

I'm really trying to build myself back up.... it hasnt been easy. Almost a month now No Contact.

For all these years I thought he was the One. I had other relationships but he was always in my heart.

So do I believe in fate? God no, I wish I'd never met the loser :)

bozo25 wrote: »
    Ya you were destined to have an accident that day!

destined by who? god? seems a pretty sh1tty thing for a deity to leave happen dont you think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks Spadina. Its freaking me out this evening, as he was out of my mind for a while. I joined a website, and who was there, he was. Its odd!

Is it me?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I think it's just coincidence. I don't really believe in the whole 'fate' thing

The OP and her ex probably had common interests so it's not that unusual that they may have joined a site that may have been in relation to an interest they shared.

Also the OP has been extremely vague so we have no idea how 'unusual' the fact that they joined the same site is or isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

On the subject of fate, what do yez think of this people?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/02/05/real-life-fate-brought-us-back-together-115875-22898839/

It really is an amazing story, makes you go aw!!!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think as humans one of our greatest abilities is to pattern match and to discern patterns and structure in things. It's one of the main things that led to science and philosophy and well, modern humans. The problem is we tend to see these patterns in everything.

For me the notion of "fate" is like the kids game of lying down looking up at the clouds and trying to see things in them. We think we see a face on the moon and we had the huge crowd of eejits in the 80's watch statues move in tacky grottos the length of Ireland. Our brains get bored without pattern or structure.

Then add in romantic love and all bets are off. Love is a drug as the song goes. It does make you a little drunk/insane so you'll really buy into this stuff. Doubly so if you already tend to buy into more magical thinking anyway(horoscopes, mediums etc).

Now it is possible the universe has a "plan" of some nature, but I doubt it would be personal to us, or whether I bump into a sexually compatible mate(of which there are literally millions in the world). I just don't buy it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

As always, the great Tim Minchin has already covered this:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes I kind of believe in fate, by chance, everything happens for a reason, what will be will be and whats meant to be is meant to be! In all aspects not just when it comes to love and a woman meeting men their partner for the first time etc. It's like friendships some of them are by chance other's aren't same applies to realtionships and other occurances when changes and experiences happen in our lives. It what makes life interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

If things happen by chance, which I believe they do, it can hardly be described as 'fate' which would suggest a preordained occurrence. Leading to the other question that must follow that line of thought, ordained by a who or a what?
    I think life is interesting enough without adding the supernatural to the mix. If you find a partner that you love and who loves you, if you land that great job that you were after, if you make friends with great people, if you are happy and postitive and kind and caring, why can't that be terrific and enough, why do people need to ascribe all these wonderful things to something totally untestable and utterly without evidence like 'fate'?
    What if you're going through a really rough patch, is that 'fate'? If not, why not? It doesn't make any sense to me at all that 'fate' is only used to justify the good things in life. And MUCH easier to think bad things happen by chance, as do the good.

I think a lot more people believe in this than dont tbh.

New Yorkers pride themselves on their cynicism. But you know what is painted in full glory on the ceiling of Grand Central Station? THe zodiac.

I think a lot more people believe in this than dont tbh.

New Yorkers pride themselves on their cynicism. But you know what is painted in full glory on the ceiling of Grand Central Station? THe zodiac.

Heh, the new one or the old one?

Its the same one.

Didn't they add a new sign to it this year? Not that I give it any credence anyway.

Didn't they add a new sign to it this year? Not that I give it any credence anyway.

ah starsigns, you have to laugh at people who think a ball of gas out in space has an effect on someones personality born on a particular month of a man made calendar.

ah starsigns, you have to laugh at people who think a ball of gas out in space has an effect on someones personality born on a particular month of a man made calendar.

Especially when those 'signs' get moved about to make room for a new one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

Now now, I felt my entire personality fundamentally shift when I became a Capricorn.

Advertisement